OH, Pleeeeease !

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I gave up doing anything more than a trim some time ago so still get caught out with a sticky hair yank from the sides occasionally.

I started my periods when I was 8. I had no idea what was happening and tried hiding my pants as I was both scared and inexplicably embarrassed. I had no idea why I thought it was shameful, just that I did. The penny finally dropped for my mum when I had a flood that was pointed out by my friends who thought I'd somehow cut myself and was dying! She left it to my older sister to tell me so I had the barest of bones explanation.

They were an absolute nightmare for me. I had to cope with the string belt variety for the first few years which was bad enough. My mum assured me my female teacher was aware but I begged her not to tell our male headmaster out of embarrassment. That became a big problem for me when swimming lessons started. It was okay when my female teacher came with us but I so vividly remember the day I started on the bus on the way to the pool and the male head was with us. I refused to come out of the changing room as I was horrified at the thought of turning the pool water red! The head marched into the changing room, grabbed me and pushed me against the wall then started shouting in my face. I was terrified but still refused to go out at which point he punched me and then stomped out. I'd also refused to tell him why.

I told my mum when I got home as she wanted to know why my swimsuit wasn't wet. She was furious as it turned out he had been made aware of my situation. The last few years of Primary being the only girl having periods was pretty ****** miserable. No girl should have to go through that with the feeling of shame made worse by an adult ever.
God! That is shocking and I can't even begin to imagine how awful having to go through that at the age of 8, and to be treated like that by a adult who's supposed to be looking after you. That teacher should've be sacked and struck off.
When I was in the latter years of primary school, my best friend started her periods at the age of 11, and believe me, I was jealous. There was a couple of other girls too. Our family weren't well off and for pe lessons you could wear shorts and a tshirt, but if you didn't have those, then it would be vest and pants. I was one of the vest and pants brigade. I begged my mum to buy me a pair of pe shorts and when she did I was so thrilled. First lesson I got to change into them, my friend approached me and asked me can I lend my shorts to Julie because she's in the toilet and she's just "come on" - I didn't really understand what she meant but I said no, I want to wear them, so I said can't you lend her yours, she said she was "on" as well. In no uncertain terms she told me that if I didn't lend her them she'd never speak to me again, so off they came! Horrible experience!
When it happened to me, I was nearly 15 and I was in the cinema with some friends, I felt a bit yucky down below, went and checked and lo and behold. Didn't have anything on me just in case but was ok till I got home, no great drama. Right age for it really I was lucky!

Yes, alter ego, my granny said I could not wash my hair when I was on my period. Not sure about having a bath?

I know when I got older, the nicest way to feel clean when having a period was having a bath and washing my hair.
Same here, don't wash you'd hair or have a bath. And this was the early 1980s (not the 1880s!)

Accidentally caught Spaniel ears doing a menopause show. The bit I got was women worrying about going on a trampoline with grand children. Then laughing or coughing. So that do me is a weak bladder, which as far as I know is not a symptom of menopause? Wasn't sure if they were selling Lady Tena now as well? I do not have a weak bladder, my doctor can vouch for that one.

I gave up doing anything more than a trim some time ago so still get caught out with a sticky hair yank from the sides occasionally.

I started my periods when I was 8. I had no idea what was happening and tried hiding my pants as I was both scared and inexplicably embarrassed. I had no idea why I thought it was shameful, just that I did. The penny finally dropped for my mum when I had a flood that was pointed out by my friends who thought I'd somehow cut myself and was dying! She left it to my older sister to tell me so I had the barest of bones explanation.

They were an absolute nightmare for me. I had to cope with the string belt variety for the first few years which was bad enough. My mum assured me my female teacher was aware but I begged her not to tell our male headmaster out of embarrassment. That became a big problem for me when swimming lessons started. It was okay when my female teacher came with us but I so vividly remember the day I started on the bus on the way to the pool and the male head was with us. I refused to come out of the changing room as I was horrified at the thought of turning the pool water red! The head marched into the changing room, grabbed me and pushed me against the wall then started shouting in my face. I was terrified but still refused to go out at which point he punched me and then stomped out. I'd also refused to tell him why.

I told my mum when I got home as she wanted to know why my swimsuit wasn't wet. She was furious as it turned out he had been made aware of my situation. The last few years of Primary being the only girl having periods was pretty ****** miserable. No girl should have to go through that with the feeling of shame made worse by an adult ever.
Going off topic here but your terrible experience with the headmaster brought back a memory. In my secondary school we had a vile chemistry teacher, short with a slight stoop and had with a long scruffy beard. He used to humiliate weak students in class. My older brother witnessed an incident when he was about 15, the teacher was picking on a kid and one of the rougher boys (6 foot tall and powerful) got up, pinned him up against the wall and punched him. We all heard about it. He was my form teacher and just treated me with contempt but didn't bully me or the others in class. But after I left school I got a job with the local council and as I was under 18 I could do a 2 year BTEC one day a week at college (it didn't cost them anything as I was under 18 when I started). The study was at my old school which was weird. He saw me in the corridor once, and was so nice to me, it was as if I was an adult now so he could speak to me with respect.

Going off topic here but your terrible experience with the headmaster brought back a memory. In my secondary school we had a vile chemistry teacher, short with a slight stoop and had with a long scruffy beard. He used to humiliate weak students in class. My older brother witnessed an incident when he was about 15, the teacher was picking on a kid and one of the rougher boys (6 foot tall and powerful) got up, pinned him up against the wall and punched him. We all heard about it. He was my form teacher and just treated me with contempt but didn't bully me or the others in class. But after I left school I got a job with the local council and as I was under 18 I could do a 2 year BTEC one day a week at college (it didn't cost them anything as I was under 18 when I started). The study was at my old school which was weird. He saw me in the corridor once, and was so nice to me, it was as if I was an adult now so he could speak to me with respect.
When I was in junior school so was about 10, an incident happened in the classroom, and I can't even remember what it was, but it was fairly minor. But the male teacher had his back to the class so didn't know who did it.

He got very angry and said he would cane the whole class unless someone owned up.
They didn't, so he got prepared to cane us all.

Then he said it couldn't have been a girl, as girls didn't do that (whatever it was) so he would only cane all the boys. As someone who was innocent, I felt that was so unfair, caning about 15 innocent boys, including me, because just one of us had done "it".

A few days later it turned out that it had been a girl!!!

I’ve been lucky, only bullied twice in my life and each only briefly.

At nursery when I was 4 (62 years ago !) my friend Susan Andrews and I were bullied by a ginger haired boy Geoffrey who didn’t have any school friends. We left for primary school but he went to a different one and I’ve never seen him since (well, might have done without recognising him ).

Secondly and more serious, my new boss joined the department. He took an instant dislike to me, probably because he hadn’t a clue about our work but I’d done different aspects of it for donkeys years. He criticised and embarrassed me in front of my team, and accepted junior staff’s opinion over mine.

I was very lucky. My fab mum really looked after me. Bought all the bits no bobs I needed. Never ran out. Explained thing's the best she could. She was born in the 1920's but so not old fashioned. A modern woman in every way. My mum was and is still a shining star 🤩

Treasure every moment with her Boff, I would give anything to spend just one more day with my Mum - and my Dad.

Treasure every moment with her Boff, I would give anything to spend just one more day with my Mum - and my Dad.

Oh, Brissles. So would I.

My mum was born in the 20's and passed away when I was 26. She was my best friend - I still miss her so much.

I used that excuse, too. It's amazing how quick blokes back off at the hint of a monthly! How on earth would they cope if they had them?

Boffy - my mum was a tiny bit old-fashioned but by the time I was in my mid teens I'd brought her up to date with my new-fangled ways :) My sister is 23 years older than me and always said we were brought up by two different mothers with the difference in our upbringing. My mum had to go back to work in the family business when I was 6 so I probably didn't get the eagle-eyed attention my sister did.

Strato - as Shirley Valentine says, girls can be evil :devilish:

Merryone - my aunt always used to say that she'd been jealous of my mum as she'd started her periods a few years before her. Be careful what you wish for in that case :ROFLMAO:

Accidentally caught Spaniel ears doing a menopause show. The bit I got was women worrying about going on a trampoline with grand children. Then laughing or coughing. So that do me is a weak bladder, which as far as I know is not a symptom of menopause? Wasn't sure if they were selling Lady Tena now as well? I do not have a weak bladder, my doctor can vouch for that one.

They have started including it as a symptom. It happens to 1 in 3 women according to stats. Women have been reluctant to talk about it (wonder why? Has Q allowed the meno shows to talk about it or glossed over the problems by just alluding to 'down there'?). It happens (I'm told) due to lack of oestrogen affecting our muscle tone as well as all the other pressures a woman's body goes through during life.

I see a continence nurse as I have the opposite problem where sometimes I can't empty my bladder so needed an intermittent catheter. The nurse was a wealth of info. I'd recommend anyone with ANY issues to ask for a referral.

The market is huge for incontinence products for a reason but if more women (and men - my FIL had bowel continence problems after radiotherapy for prostate cancer and struggled on instead of asking for help) were more open we could get proper help instead of swapping period products for incontinence products. Many women (and men) also don't realise that if incontinence can't be helped they can get products prescribed instead of forking out a fortune for them. I think men need to start speaking out, too, as quite a few do have problems.

We had an incinerator in the toilets at school. It smouldered away day and night. There were brown paper bags hanging on the back of the toilet doors for used pads , and we had to insert some sort of leaver into the cover of the incinerator (it was like a drain cover!) and drop the brown bags inside. Every so often the . caretaker would clean it out, and rake out the ashes . There would be an announcement in assembly telling us not to go into the toilets as the caretaker would be in there. Before the announcement was made, the headmistress would invite the only two male teachers we had ( it was an all girls grammar school) to leave the assembly hall!

We had an incinerator in the toilets at school. It smouldered away day and night. There were brown paper bags hanging on the back of the toilet doors for used pads , and we had to insert some sort of leaver into the cover of the incinerator (it was like a drain cover!) and drop the brown bags inside. Every so often the . caretaker would clean it out, and rake out the ashes . There would be an announcement in assembly telling us not to go into the toilets as the caretaker would be in there. Before the announcement was made, the headmistress would invite the only two male teachers we had ( it was an all girls grammar school) to leave the assembly hall!

Wow! Can you imagine one of those being allowed in a school these days?! Not to mention that announcement.

There's a push for shared toilets for boys and girls at the moment. I'd have been pulling a sick week every as there's no way I'd have coped with boys in the loo the same time as I'd be washing blood off my hands. My lovely female teacher used to give me bags and tell me to leave them in a pedal bin that had been bought specially for my 'problem' and left in a corner.

God! That is shocking and I can't even begin to imagine how awful having to go through that at the age of 8, and to be treated like that by a adult who's supposed to be looking after you. That teacher should've be sacked and struck off.
When I was in the latter years of primary school, my best friend started her periods at the age of 11, and believe me, I was jealous. There was a couple of other girls too. Our family weren't well off and for pe lessons you could wear shorts and a tshirt, but if you didn't have those, then it would be vest and pants. I was one of the vest and pants brigade. I begged my mum to buy me a pair of pe shorts and when she did I was so thrilled. First lesson I got to change into them, my friend approached me and asked me can I lend my shorts to Julie because she's in the toilet and she's just "come on" - I didn't really understand what she meant but I said no, I want to wear them, so I said can't you lend her yours, she said she was "on" as well. In no uncertain terms she told me that if I didn't lend her them she'd never speak to me again, so off they came! Horrible experience!
When it happened to me, I was nearly 15 and I was in the cinema with some friends, I felt a bit yucky down below, went and checked and lo and behold. Didn't have anything on me just in case but was ok till I got home, no great drama. Right age for it really I was lucky!
When I was in junior school so was about 10, an incident happened in the classroom, and I can't even remember what it was, but it was fairly minor. But the male teacher had his back to the class so didn't know who did it.

He got very angry and said he would cane the whole class unless someone owned up.
They didn't, so he got prepared to cane us all.

Then he said it couldn't have been a girl, as girls didn't do that (whatever it was) so he would only cane all the boys. As someone who was innocent, I felt that was so unfair, caning about 15 innocent boys, including me, because just one of us had done "it".

A few days later it turned out that it had been a girl!!!
The film kes was just how it used to be in my school days the poor boys having the dreaded cane kids don’t know how lucky they are .

I had one teacher who was an evil *******. He caned both sexes at the drop of a hat. He was the man who makes it nearly impossible to do mental arithmetic. We had to stand around the back wall of the classroom, and he shouted a sum at you and if you did not answer quick enough or got it wrong. He canned you. My brain just used to freeze.

My dad used tell me about the teachers he had. He said one of them used to walk round the classroom looking at the children’s work. Anyone whose work was wrong or untidy would receive a swift punch (with a closed fist!) on their head behind the ear. This would have been about 1920/1930, as he was born in1915.

Latest posts

Back