Opal "old wives tale?"

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

emerald

Registered Shopper
Hi all
I recently bought a little PPSS amethyst set as a present for one of my friends its very pretty but since then TJC had one of those "meltdown sales".I bought a pair of lovely rubellite earings a kyanite necklace and a pair of fire opal earings all in gold and am very pleased with them all.The fire opal earings are so pretty I was thinking of giving them to my friend instead but a work colleague told me its unlucky to give someone opals unless its their birthstone.I am not the superstitious type and would be delighted if anyone gave me an opal of any kind in fact have bought them for myself.Just wondered have any of you heared of this and is it a common myth or is it more likely a forgotten "old wives tale"

It's true that there's an old myth about opals being 'unlucky'. The best explanation I have heard of this is that opal is quite a fragile stone which can be prone to crack but can also command high prices, and obviously it is very bad luck if your expensive piece of jewellery breaks.

I'm not aware that this applies to fire opals, though; I don't believe they're especially fragile (although someone will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong). In any case, opals shouldn't break if properly cared for.

The real question is whether your friend is likely to regard opals as 'bad luck', and if so whether she will think this also applies to fire opals (which are after all very different from normal opals in appearance and structure). Chances are, the thought won't even enter her head, unless she is very, very superstitious.

Queen Victoris's choice

"

Hello Emerald
Opals were Queen Victoria's choice of wedding gift to all the many females in her family.
I believe Princess Alexandra was one of the first to have them replaced by other gems.
Their softness makes them less durable than some other stones but they respond well
to tlc. Extremes in temperature can prove detrimental to their wellbeing which could have
given rise to the superstitions surrounding them. Hope this helps.

best wishes from Springflower

Thanks for the feedback and information Frazzle,Miss Magpie and Springflower(would give the thanks star thing but not worked out yet how to do it) Frazzle have read up about opals before on gem websites but mostly information on care of etc given though I suppose those sites might not want to promote negative folklore stories.Miss Magpie and Springflower your explanations of the fragility of the stone makes sense about the myth's origin .I dont think my friend is particlarly superstitious but the colleague who mentioned it to me in the first place is usually very sensible but I had the feeling she wouldn't appreciate being given an opal of any kind .Good point Miss Magpie about fire opal not likely to be connected to the traditional type and Springflower I can always emphasise the royal connection and give them a bit of kudos,thanks again for all your help.

Sorry Springflower just noticed that you are new to the forum just wanted to say welcome.

Many thanks for the welcome, Emerald. As I'm such a shy, retiring flower!!! I thought
I'd try to sneak in unobserved - didn't work, did it!!!

There are so many different answers to why opals are unlucky and some make very funny reading. Here are some!

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=1006052509007

In truth, Opals (all opals) need to be looked after. They are reasonably delicate and prone to drying out. If they are looked after well then you/your friend shouldn't have a problem with them.

Just one thing to add ........ whilst I love Opals, I've heard so many say they don't. Honestly, it seems to be a marmite stone! Love it or hate it! Before giving them to your friend why don't you sort of drop it in the conversation somehow and see what she says.

Now the most important thing .......... WHERE ARE THE PHOTOS? C'mon, let's see your new haulage!

There are so many different answers to why opals are unlucky and some make very funny reading. Here are some!

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=1006052509007

In truth, Opals (all opals) need to be looked after. They are reasonably delicate and prone to drying out. If they are looked after well then you/your friend shouldn't have a problem with them.

Just one thing to add ........ whilst I love Opals, I've heard so many say they don't. Honestly, it seems to be a marmite stone! Love it or hate it! Before giving them to your friend why don't you sort of drop it in the conversation somehow and see what she says.

Now the most important thing .......... WHERE ARE THE PHOTOS? C'mon, let's see your new haulage!

I think I will have a word with her and sound her out about opals and maybe check what she has done with any chain letters/texts she has had to give me a gage if she gives any credence to superstitious stuff. As for the photos will try and work on it you could say Im technologicaly challenged its taken me this long for to find out how to post the "thanks" icon with the help of Miss Magpie.

Emerald I'm away to be the bringer of Doom and Gloom:sad:

Several years ago, well actually about 30 years ago, my best friend got engaged and she got a garnet and opal engagement ring. A few people, including myself, mentioned to her the 'old wives tale' about them being unlucky and she just laughed it off. Well she got married soon after and guess what? Within a year she was seperated and shortly after that she was divorced! :wonder:
Mind you, after that she met a lovely man with a great job and she got married again and has lived all over the world including Hong Kong, Italy, Cyprus etc. So, maybe the opals were good luck instead of bad luck!! I never liked the first one anyway :giggle:

With regards to people liking Opals as mentioned by Meeshoo. I think this would apply more to the white opals rather than to fire opals which imho are fascinating. I have Mexican Fire Opal and a fairly large Brazilian Fire Opal ring and I can still sit and gaze at the fire inside the stone of the Brazilian one. I'm sure your friend would like them.

Klosblue I wonder if your friend kept her origional ring? as you say maybe in the long run it brought her luck.One of my friends has an opal and diamond engagement ring and she has been married for over 40 years,she has seen me lusting after it and said she would leave it to me in her will.Again I would be delighted with it but then some of my best days have been on black Fridays so not really bothered about the myth I always think if its determined bad luck will find you whatever the circumstances.I also like the orange fire opals,also like the mexican ones on TJC with the orange to red colour but they seem more expensive but who knows maybe one day.....

Latest posts

Back