opi nail envy ruined my nails

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

lynnieb

Registered Shopper
It made them go really peculiar. Iyt took ages for them to go back to normal. AND the colour polish chips after just one day. Disappointing. I'll stick to Rimmel

I agree, Nail Envy is thick and gloopy. Try Nails Inc Kensington Caviar Topcoat, it's lovely - not too thick and dries in seconds to a lovely shine. There are loads of good reviews on QVC.

Last edited:
I am using the nail envy I find it really works for me. I love the Nails Inc top coat it drys really quick and my nail polish doesn't chip so quickly.

I haven't used nail envy in years but found this.

It works for so long as all nail strengtheners do but you keep using and they dry your nails out and they will crack and snap.
I was told I needed moisture in my nails not strengtheners and so moved to using that. The best one I have found is Trind Nail Balm. I only put polish on my toes for the same reason it dries you nails out. My choosen brand is Essie.

I haven't used nail envy in years but found this.

It works for so long as all nail strengtheners do but you keep using and they dry your nails out and they will crack and snap.
I was told I needed moisture in my nails not strengtheners and so moved to using that. The best one I have found is Trind Nail Balm. I only put polish on my toes for the same reason it dries you nails out. My choosen brand is Essie.

Yep, have to say I agree with you here. Nail Envy ruined my nails also. What you say is right - and exactly what happened to me.

I eventually realised that I needed to put moisture in rather than anything else and found that just using a decent nail or cuticle balm did more than applying a literal actual :wink: nail strengthener.

I use Superbalm or Burt's Bees Lemon Cuticle Butter. Leighton Denny's Bio Build Serum is very good, too.

Oh and also, I agree re Essie - their polishes are second to none.

I too didn't get on with Nail Envy. I followed the advice of two literal initial coats and then an actual coat every other day for seven days, but by day four my nails looked awful - covered in chipped gunk - and they split just the same as they were obviously dry and not being properly sealed/treated by the Nail Envy regime. I've found exactly the same as Donna and Cavegirl, so I just slap a nail oil on whenever I have an opportunity. Never tried Avoplex though quite fancy it (opinions welcome) and for a while I've been using Leighton's Slick Tips which is good though I don't really like the scent. ProStrong used to do an apricot oil, think they've discontinued it now, but that was brilliant. The only time Nail strengtheners worked for me was when my nails were really under pressure from my lifestyle, then I used ProStrong which was fabulous but I used a moisturiser in conjunction with the fluouride strengthener. Will try the ones recommended above though - thanks ladies :handshake:

I use the nail envy a couple of times a week but use the avoplex oil a couple of times a day and then use Liz Earle's superbalm everynight before I go to bed. I need a nail strengthner but I think you need to hydrate them at the same time.

I think it's trial and error at the moment it seems to be working although I am tempted to try the nails inc nail A & E duo.

To be fair to OPI, it's horses for courses. I used OPI and Avoplex - which is brilliant BTW - until I had emptied both bottles. I didn't feel that, although there was an improvement, it was enough to buy the product again. When I stopped using it my nails did, however, begin to split, something they have never done before. So I do need the nail envy and have made another purchase. My nails aren't in a good enough condition yet to be too daring with the lacquer, but I had an OPI manicure on Tuesday and, because I'm using the nail envy regime, I haven't removed it yet. The problem is, the polish has been chipping for the last couple of days. So perhaps the lacquers are not as premium as they say on QVC.
I have also tried the pro-strong range; I found this to be absolutely effectiveless.

I too didn't get on with Nail Envy. I followed the advice of two literal initial coats and then an actual coat every other day for seven days, but by day four my nails looked awful - covered in chipped gunk - and they split just the same as they were obviously dry and not being properly sealed/treated by the Nail Envy regime. I've found exactly the same as Donna and Cavegirl, so I just slap a nail oil on whenever I have an opportunity. Never tried Avoplex though quite fancy it (opinions welcome) and for a while I've been using Leighton's Slick Tips which is good though I don't really like the scent. ProStrong used to do an apricot oil, think they've discontinued it now, but that was brilliant. The only time Nail strengtheners worked for me was when my nails were really under pressure from my lifestyle, then I used ProStrong which was fabulous but I used a moisturiser in conjunction with the fluouride strengthener. Will try the ones recommended above though - thanks ladies :handshake:

I've not tried Avoplex in the bottle, but I have tried the Avoplex On The Go in the tube, which I bought from the literal actual evil and unpresteeejus high street. Boots, in fact. I quite liked it, but it's a different texture to the oil in the bottle.

I didn't like LD Slick Tips either. The smell was weird and it left my skin feeling gritty too.

I reckon probably Superbalm is the best in all honesty!

HTH petal x

I use and love OPI nail envy and get great results from using it, this may be because i also use the Avoplex oil(in the 15ml bottle) at least twice a day minimum over my whole nail and cuticle. OPI have a great price on QVC for the two items(15ml) in a set for around £19 plus P&P.

Anyone remember Supernails Nail Eat and Nail Drink - one to harden and one to hydrate? I think the lady who brought it to QVC was Caroline somebody? They disappeared suddenly when OPI and then Nails Inc and Leighton Denny came to town. I remember their top and base coat were called Anchor and Armour(always thought that was a great description) and the "magic in a pot" cuticle cream( Whatters called it that).

Thanks for the Trind recommendations - i'll need to keep my eyes open for this(like other forum members i'm trying to shop more on the high street).

I love OPI Nail Envy and swear by it, but realise that nothing is for everyone. Precisely what problem did you have with it?

As a former nail tech. the big value of putting a coat of something on is to seel the ends of the nails, once you have a tiny split, sometimes too small to notice it lets water in and that keep lifting the layers, nail envy will seal them, but in my opinion, no paint on product can give you the ongoing moisture to your nail, and if you don't use rubber gloves when you use detergents you will just keep drying the nail out. If you use a keyboard all day you will chip off anything you put on, but it is better than nothing. The Nail Inc. oil in the pen dispenser is my moisturiser of choice, I noticed a big difference. It depends on the cause of splitting, and sometimes it is just bad luck.

I use and love OPI nail envy and get great results from using it, this may be because i also use the Avoplex oil(in the 15ml bottle) at least twice a day minimum over my whole nail and cuticle. OPI have a great price on QVC for the two items(15ml) in a set for around £19 plus P&P.

Anyone remember Supernails Nail Eat and Nail Drink - one to harden and one to hydrate? I think the lady who brought it to QVC was Caroline somebody? They disappeared suddenly when OPI and then Nails Inc and Leighton Denny came to town. I remember their top and base coat were called Anchor and Armour(always thought that was a great description) and the "magic in a pot" cuticle cream( Whatters called it that).

Thanks for the Trind recommendations - i'll need to keep my eyes open for this(like other forum members i'm trying to shop more on the high street).

You can still get the Supernail stuff from thenailcareclub.com - although I don't use the eat and drink, the Zoom Dry Therapy handcream is the best I have ever used and I also love the Zoom cuticle cure as it is not greasy like oil for daytime use.

I've been mixing Leighton Denny's slick tips with handcream and that has been working wonders on my dry nails :nod:

Zoom dry nail food

I also tried opi nail envy and my nails looked worse because of it. I've gone back to using nail food and qtica cuticle cream - these are the only things that have ever worked on my nails.

Latest posts

Back