Passwords!!!!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

merryone

Registered Shopper
I belong to a local message board and have been a member for years. It's great to see what's going on, find recommendations for tradespersons, ask for help or advice, give help & advice etc etc. You get email alerts when a new message comes in relation to your area. Today I opened a message that looked quite interesting, but for some reason I was asked to log in for the first time since I signed up a few years back. I entered my email address/password. I use pretty much the same password for everything with slight permutations as often rules change regarding passwords and you have to add some kind of character to the mix. Of course I managed to tap in the wrong password three times and was locked out. I sent for a reset, which I got immediately and I think I tried about 6 different new passwords and have all been rejected for various reasons. Too long, too short, too traceable, too similar to ones I've used before. I checked out their "tips" for a good password and for them it seems they'll only accept at least 8 characters of complete and utter gobbledegook! I typed some gobbledegook into the first box, using the little eye symbol that allows you to see what you've typed, but as soon as I went down to second box, the first box was pixelated - so no chance of remembering wtf I'd written - so for now in sheer frustration I've given up!!!! When I've calmed down a bit, I shall write down the gobblegook on a piece of paper so that I can see what to type in the second box! How F'king ridiculous is this? I'm pretty sure my online banking wasn't as strict as this....Agggghhhh!

Ridiculous & frustrating, especially on a hot Monday morning 🥵 A few months ago we had the discussion about what will happen if/when the time comes that we need to access each other's online stuff. We made lists of companies, user names & passwords & even though it sounds OTT put them into sealed envelopes. I've told our younger daughter where they are so hopefully there will be one person who remembers that place!

Ridiculous & frustrating, especially on a hot Monday morning 🥵 A few months ago we had the discussion about what will happen if/when the time comes that we need to access each other's online stuff. We made lists of companies, user names & passwords & even though it sounds OTT put them into sealed envelopes. I've told our younger daughter where they are so hopefully there will be one person who remembers that place!
Yes that's a point, though I suppose when it comes to banking etc you'd have to phone them or visit them, therefore possibly wouldn't need to try and access your accounts yourself. I totally get the need for password protection, and I understand the guidelines, but that's what they should be guidelines not rules. If you can't use a memorable word and you need to write it down somewhere then surely that's as unsafe as having a password that can possibly be guessed! Ok you're not going to write the name of the company and the password together, but even so you've got to remember yourself what this gobbledegook relates to otherwise you're back at square one!
I did manage to sort out my message board password, and when the box came up to ask whether I wanted it to be filled in automatically I clicked yes - but then doesn't that just completely undermine the needed for an unguessable password? For this particular site, I don't even think a password is necessary, but of course when you register for anything online, password goes hand in hand with an email address. Anyway I'm a bit calmer now it's sorted, and hopefully my saved password will stand for a good long while!

My bank has actually made it much easier to log in.

I queried this, and they said they now have lots of internal checks instead.
That's really good because it takes the onus off the consumer, which is brilliant for something as important as banking. I think sites that really don't need that level of security should at least allow users to keep passwords simple and memorable but just give advice regarding security- Even if security is completely unecessary!

That's really good because it takes the onus off the consumer, which is brilliant for something as important as banking. I think sites that really don't need that level of security should at least allow users to keep passwords simple and memorable but just give advice regarding security- Even if security is completely unecessary!
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I wondered if you’d ever heard this neat little trick.
For a password that looks very random, but is fairly easy to remember, just pick a song that means something to you. Then use the first letters of each word of the first line (second line to be really secure). For example, if you liked ‘Summer Holiday’ by Cliff, you’d use
wagoashnmwfawo2
If you have to use a capital then just make it the first, or last character.
So, I’d never remember the mix of letters above. But I’d easily remember Summer Holiday. (And before anyone tries it, no, I didn’t use it for the forum password!)😂

I belong to a local message board and have been a member for years. It's great to see what's going on, find recommendations for tradespersons, ask for help or advice, give help & advice etc etc. You get email alerts when a new message comes in relation to your area. Today I opened a message that looked quite interesting, but for some reason I was asked to log in for the first time since I signed up a few years back. I entered my email address/password. I use pretty much the same password for everything with slight permutations as often rules change regarding passwords and you have to add some kind of character to the mix. Of course I managed to tap in the wrong password three times and was locked out. I sent for a reset, which I got immediately and I think I tried about 6 different new passwords and have all been rejected for various reasons. Too long, too short, too traceable, too similar to ones I've used before. I checked out their "tips" for a good password and for them it seems they'll only accept at least 8 characters of complete and utter gobbledegook! I typed some gobbledegook into the first box, using the little eye symbol that allows you to see what you've typed, but as soon as I went down to second box, the first box was pixelated - so no chance of remembering wtf I'd written - so for now in sheer frustration I've given up!!!! When I've calmed down a bit, I shall write down the gobblegook on a piece of paper so that I can see what to type in the second box! How F'king ridiculous is this? I'm pretty sure my online banking wasn't as strict as this....Agggghhhh!
Hubby says use three words totally unrelateable to one another with various numbers or signs between. These have usually shown as strong when I've used them. An example could be StUff#Ape_PulP.

We use a VPN and it will allocate encrypted passwords. These passwords are very complex but there is a VPN password manager you just add your on line shop,Amazon etc and either generate your own password or let the system generate an encrypted one.

I use a different memorable word, then a special character a memorable number then something that relates to the website and another memorable number. and I write them down, somewhere I hope is safe!!!

Latest posts

Back