Pink Cuprian Tourmaline

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Sacha

Keep calm - Log on
I'm just listening to Don Kogen waxing lyrical about this particular gemstone, with Jerrilee 4-5 pm hour.
He is comparing the availability of this colour Torurmaline to Bixbite and saying its irreplaceable. Apparently he and Tony each bought individually and have now pooled resources to create this range. He's also saying the higher carat stones are "priceless" now as "the mine is closed"......"its so rare"!

Viewers are certainly jumping in quickly eg a 9k Pendant of 0.77ct rapidly sold for £249.
Anyone have any of this pink gemstone and is it worth the hype? It is a nice colour, I should add.

Well I've got quite a few so I guess that answers your question!

Pink cuprian (i.e. tourmaline that has copper) isn't particularly rare. It's not in abundance either. Good pieces are lovely but not sure about the hype! Unfortunately this sounds like a lot of hot air for something that should have a gentle mild blow (iykwim)!

OMG Don has just said that pink cuprian tourmaline is more rare than Russian Alexandrite??????? Sorry but I absolutely 100000% disagree. He's also saying it's similar to Taaffeite! No way.

If pink cuprian is so rare, would he like to buy mine? They're all over 1ct AND they've got lab reports stating that they are cuprians! All I'm seeing are clusters of small stones and single stones not even reaching 0.75ct.

I'm truly shocked and disgusted by this. :devil:

OMG Don has just said that pink cuprian tourmaline is more rare than Russian Alexandrite??????? Sorry but I absolutely 100000% disagree. He's also saying it's similar to Taaffeite! No way.

If pink cuprian is so rare, would he like to buy mine? They're all over 1ct AND they've got lab reports stating that they are cuprians! All I'm seeing are clusters of small stones and single stones not even reaching 0.75ct.

I'm truly shocked and disgusted by this. :devil:

Thanks for your replies Meesh.

Yeah, he's going on a bit, isn't he? :wonder:

To my mind these diddy little stones resemble regular pink Tourmaline and the bigger ones just like paler Rubellite.
I love pink gemstones but not sure buying this Tourmaline just because it contains copper is worth the prices......with minimal goldweights I might add. He also mentioned that Tony sold some of his parcel on here a couple of years ago, I wonder what prices they were asking then?

Even if it is cuprian it's still not going to command the high prices he was suggesting - and you only have to look at the reality for what he's selling it at to see that's true! In any event, I would want a lab report stating that the gems were cuprian if I were going to pay a premium but for stones this small I wouldn't bother.

The largest solitaire one they showed saying there were only 2 (I didn't see how much it had sold for) looked actually like a very poor Rubellite as it was dark and had brown modifiers.

Pronounced TARF ite after the Bohemian Irish Richard Taaffe who discovered it amongst a box of spinel in 1945, it ranges in colour from reds/mauves to colourless which is apparently more than one million times rarer than diamond.........but they don't say to which colour or quality of diamond they are refering.

Here are some and look at the prices they command for not particularly or well cut specimens! Typically they are a grey/lilac colour. Their rarity is because only a few stones have been found and some were mis-diagnosed as Spinel! So as you can see, comparing a Tourmaline to this gemstone is absolutely ridiculous!

http://www.multicolour.com/gallery/?/gallery/taaffeite/

This link is interesting because it gives you (a probably out of date) list of rare gemstones. Interestingly, I have all of them except 2 (in small carat weights I hasten to add). My favourite is Jeremejevite as it's sooooooooo gorgeous IRL (see photo).

http://www.curiousnotions.com/gemstones/

Attachments

• Jeremejevite1_1_1.JPG
    Jeremejevite1_1_1.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 342
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back