Please listen Gemporia !

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Lulu

Registered Shopper
Having read through many of these threads it seems there is deep dissatisfaction with Gemporia as it now operates.

In the hope that someone form Gemporia actually looks at this site, I thought I would start a thread where you could list your gripes with Gemporia.

Keep it bumped so it can be seen and we will see if they take any notice !

I will start ;

Quality !
Apparant rarity!
Inflated prices !
Lectures form the likes of Dave Troth, Toby & Jake ! Rarely interesting or relevant and often misleading.
Misleading / made up gemstone names to imply rarity.
Grossly misleading price comparisons.
Shouting, theatrics, pantomime behaviour from presenters - childish and unprofessional, would you buy from a jewellery shop if the shop assistant behaved like this ?
What happened to the informed and informative, calm, knowledgeable and likeable presenters ?

What happened to the informed and informative, calm, knowledgeable and likeable presenters ?
What happened? Gemporia got rid of them.

My tuppence's worth:

Stop the lies, games and tricks. If your wares are so good, then you don't need the "computer problems, but we'll honour the wrong price", the "rogue gallery staff" allegedly underpricing items, or the "OMG, management are calling the gallery over this low price!" ruses to sell them. It's unprofessional, and doesn't engender trust in a company supposedly flogging luxury goods after all. Not essentials.

Staff are allegedly GIA accredited, but most of those left on screen can't say more than "OMG! So pretty! So red carpet! Beyoncé was seen wearing something like this to B&M last week! Buy ten!". Where's this knowledge they supposedly have? I could screech at a camera incomprehensibly for hours on end, and I am hardly a jewellery expert.

Stop pushing all the gem chakra woo. I don't care if a presenter believes that a tanzanite cluster can cure death. I don't need their frankly bonkers beliefs forced on me. When a presenter starts up on this, I switch off. I wouldn't put up with a sales person in an actual shop boring me to tears with their crazy beliefs, so why would I want a daft bat on telly waffling on about theirs?

Quit bringing the buyers on as "guests". They're Gemporia employees, and most of the time they're not adding any value to shows. Dave and Jake have all the charisma of a dead stoat. And being patronised by a boring person for at least 20 minutes (if you're lucky) before you see even one item of jewellery isn't my idea of a great time. The longer a lecture goes on for, the less likely it is that I am going to buy something. Or stick around, for that matter.

Finally, stop the presenters accepting gifts from viewers. It's very obvious that a lot of vulnerable and lonely people watch Gemporia for company, and some seem to have become convinced that the people on the telly are their friends. Now, I am not going to suggest that presenters take advantage of this to improve their sales, but accepting anything more than messages and maybe birthday/Christmas cards is both crass and tacky Gemporia should make it very clear on screen and on the website that gifts cannot be accepted, and will be returned if sent.

My tuppence's worth:

Stop the lies, games and tricks. If your wares are so good, then you don't need the "computer problems, but we'll honour the wrong price", the "rogue gallery staff" allegedly underpricing items, or the "OMG, management are calling the gallery over this low price!" ruses to sell them. It's unprofessional, and doesn't engender trust in a company supposedly flogging luxury goods after all. Not essentials.

Staff are allegedly GIA accredited, but most of those left on screen can't say more than "OMG! So pretty! So red carpet! Beyoncé was seen wearing something like this to B&M last week! Buy ten!". Where's this knowledge they supposedly have? I could screech at a camera incomprehensibly for hours on end, and I am hardly a jewellery expert.

Stop pushing all the gem chakra woo. I don't care if a presenter believes that a tanzanite cluster can cure death. I don't need their frankly bonkers beliefs forced on me. When a presenter starts up on this, I switch off. I wouldn't put up with a sales person in an actual shop boring me to tears with their crazy beliefs, so why would I want a daft bat on telly waffling on about theirs?

Quit bringing the buyers on as "guests". They're Gemporia employees, and most of the time they're not adding any value to shows. Dave and Jake have all the charisma of a dead stoat. And being patronised by a boring person for at least 20 minutes (if you're lucky) before you see even one item of jewellery isn't my idea of a great time. The longer a lecture goes on for, the less likely it is that I am going to buy something. Or stick around, for that matter.

Finally, stop the presenters accepting gifts from viewers. It's very obvious that a lot of vulnerable and lonely people watch Gemporia for company, and some seem to have become convinced that the people on the telly are their friends. Now, I am not going to suggest that presenters take advantage of this to improve their sales, but accepting anything more than messages and maybe birthday/Christmas cards is both crass and tacky Gemporia should make it very clear on screen and on the website that gifts cannot be accepted, and will be returned if sent.
"..charisma of a dead stoat.." 😆 🤣

My tuppence's worth:

Agree wholeheartedly with your view of Gemporia's current tactics: "Stop the lies, games and tricks. If your wares are so good, then you don't need the "computer problems, but we'll honour the wrong price", the "rogue gallery staff" allegedly underpricing items, or the "OMG, management are calling the gallery over this low price!" ruses to sell them. It's unprofessional, and doesn't engender trust in a company supposedly flogging luxury goods after all. Not essentials."

Can't believe how low trust in Gems have dropped, in my case, it's definitely gone after the 'lies, games and tricks' they pulled with my recent returns.
My son Lenny has previously been posting details about this...
Gems alleged that I kept this ring and not returned it and refused to refund. Why would I keep their damaged tat which I was stupid enough to buy?
I am still fighting for refund on several fronts and will get it in the end, trust me. Thanks for listening to my moan.
Lennyboy's Mum

Agree wholeheartedly with your view of Gemporia's current tactics: "Stop the lies, games and tricks. If your wares are so good, then you don't need the "computer problems, but we'll honour the wrong price", the "rogue gallery staff" allegedly underpricing items, or the "OMG, management are calling the gallery over this low price!" ruses to sell them. It's unprofessional, and doesn't engender trust in a company supposedly flogging luxury goods after all. Not essentials."

Can't believe how low trust in Gems have dropped, in my case, it's definitely gone after the 'lies, games and tricks' they pulled with my recent returns.
Gems alleged that I kept this ring and not returned it and refused to refund. Why would I keep their damaged tat which I was stupid enough to buy?
I am still fighting for refund on several fronts and will get it in the end, trust me. Thanks for listening to my moan.
Lennyboy's Mum
I hope you get your refund soon!

My tuppence's worth:

Totally agree

Despite Steves announcement that there would be changes, so far I see little improvement.
I still don't feel I can believe what they say on air - seriously doubting their claims of rarity, value and "natural" and a quick Google confirms that, still being bored by the monologues, presenters still at their theatrics and "computer / system price mistakes" and still being offered non jewellery tat.
Sadly unless there are changes for the better and they start being more honest & open with their descriptions, for me the trust has gone.

Despite Steves announcement that there would be changes, so far I see little improvement.
I still don't feel I can believe what they say on air - seriously doubting their claims of rarity, value and "natural" and a quick Google confirms that, still being bored by the monologues, presenters still at their theatrics and "computer / system price mistakes" and still being offered non jewellery tat.
Sadly unless there are changes for the better and they start being more honest & open with their descriptions, for me the trust has gone.
My trust evaporated over a year ago when they started beggering about refusing to honour the much vaunted 'Price Pledge'. Don't watch anymore, but can see the Company is going down the gurgler from the comments. It's a shame, but the shame is all theirs to reflect on. Greed and arrogance at the root of it all, as usual.

I agree as I have said no changes whatsoever! Steve never appears to update you well be can't really nothing has changed APART from in my opinion the hard sell has got worse!!! The screaming and shouting from the presenters, only one I can listen to now is Foxy! the never ending build up from the 3 amigos is insulting they treat us like idiots!! Needless to say I'm not buying not even sure if I will ever again, learnt so much from this forum.

My trust evaporated over a year ago when they started beggering about refusing to honour the much vaunted 'Price Pledge'. Don't watch anymore, but can see the Company is going down the gurgler from the comments. It's a shame, but the shame is all theirs to reflect on. Greed and arrogance at the root of it all, as usual.
The price pledge set Gemporia apart, and would have reassured lots of people cautious about spending hundreds of pounds on jewellery from a shopping channel.

Removing that without telling viewers what they were doing was a huge breach of trust. Add to that all the crap 5hat people have been pointing out for months on here and on social media, and I'm not very surprised that the company's experiencing major issues

I think that someone from Gemporia is definitely reading this forum. Dave's just announced that he's doing a price pledge on the carved jadeite currently on air. 🤔

I just can't watch any more jadeite shows, I don't care if there is a price pledge or not, I would have to buy the giant black monstrosity and then watch until it came on again to get £5 off - just no!
Bit pricey that swivelling black monstrosity, by the time you've paid extra for the mount to go with, so it can swivel! Couldn't be bothered to watch if they sold the necklace too, everything takes so flipping long.

Don't want to give him ideas but he needs a Jade clock.......round his head 🤬

Bit pricey that swivelling black monstrosity, by the time you've paid extra for the mount to go with, so it can swivel! Couldn't be bothered to watch if they sold the necklace too, everything takes so flipping long.

Don't want to give him ideas but he needs a Jade clock.......round his head 🤬
I had to watch, as it was so very ugly. Apparently it was flying out the door. I just wonder how many come flying back?

The problem is a bean counter decides they can save money on paper by making pledges harder and harder to get. The lost trust and disinclination to buy outside of sale hours that promotes isn't as simple a calculation to make, so it isn't made at all.

They aren't going to change and there must be people who are still buying. Steve has made a good living out of all this. When one company goes under he just starts another. It is very easy to get addicted to buying more and more stuff which is fine if you can keep it under some sort of control. I do have some pretty things I bought from them in the past. But I wouldn't bother now because if I want a nice piece of jewellery there is far more to be found by individual artisans on social media with longer guarantees and better value for money. I think Instagram has killed off a lot of their trade. In the long distant past Gems did a beautiful looking range of Italian (or Italian style) gold circle chains - can't remember the name. In retrospect it was incredibly good value. I couldn't justify £49 for a bracelet at the time though. That is the trouble with this sort of shopping, while some of it is great a lot of it ends up falling apart outside the guarantee period so in the end it all evens out. Better to buy something beautiful that lasts - and it's not a choice between shopping telly or Boodles or Tiffanys either.

My tuppence's worth:

Finally, stop the presenters accepting gifts from viewers. It's very obvious that a lot of vulnerable and lonely people watch Gemporia for company, and some seem to have become convinced that the people on the telly are their friends. Him Now, I am not going to suggest that presenters take advantage of this to improve their sales, but accepting anything more than messages and maybe birthday/Christmas cards is both crass and tacky Gemporia should make it very clear on screen and on the website that gifts cannot be accepted, and will be returned if sent.

Lennyboy's Mum

They aren't going to change and there must be people who are still buying. Steve has made a good living out of all this. When one company goes under he just starts another. It is very easy to get addicted to buying more and more stuff which is fine if you can keep it under some sort of control. I do have some pretty things I bought from them in the past. But I wouldn't bother now because if I want a nice piece of jewellery there is far more to be found by individual artisans on social media with longer guarantees and better value for money. I think Instagram has killed off a lot of their trade. In the long distant past Gems did a beautiful looking range of Italian (or Italian style) gold circle chains - can't remember the name. In retrospect it was incredibly good value. I couldn't justify £49 for a bracelet at the time though. That is the trouble with this sort of shopping, while some of it is great a lot of it ends up falling apart outside the guarantee period so in the end it all evens out. Better to buy something beautiful that lasts - and it's not a choice between shopping telly or Boodles or Tiffanys either.

Latest posts

Back