Pope Pete's eloquent words

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Thing is, while Peter Simon in particular is such a magnet for comments, it reinforces his status. He is unwatchable but yet unmissable in the way of peering-through-your-hands-car-crash-telly. By increasing the chances of people tuning into watch, they are increasing the chances that a few will actually convert watching into buying. Just the same way that spamming people pays off. You don't have to have many respond to justify doing it... if that few give you sales which repay the costs you've incurred.

I'd say Peter = the selly telly David Brent... each show a master class in cringe-worthy embarrassment. In fact it would make a brilliant comedy show, wouldn't it? You would just point the camera and film. IW wouldn't need to be replaced, nor the presenters re-cast with actors. Of course, if it was fiction nobody would believe that tv presenters could really be that awful, would they? Truth is stranger than fiction, and coincidences happen more in real life than fiction too.

Agree with you, may. Sometimes I feel angry with myself for watching it when he's on, but it draws you in, if nothing else just to see what depths he will sink to - car crash telly sums it up perfectly, as does your comment about "unwatchable but yet unmissible". It would make a hilarious comedy programme - or even a series - with the right person handling it.

Thing is, while Peter Simon in particular is such a magnet for comments, it reinforces his status. He is unwatchable but yet unmissable in the way of peering-through-your-hands-car-crash-telly. By increasing the chances of people tuning into watch, they are increasing the chances that a few will actually convert watching into buying. Just the same way that spamming people pays off. You don't have to have many respond to justify doing it... if that few give you sales which repay the costs you've incurred.

I'd say Peter = the selly telly David Brent... each show a master class in cringe-worthy embarrassment. In fact it would make a brilliant comedy show, wouldn't it? You would just point the camera and film. IW wouldn't need to be replaced, nor the presenters re-cast with actors. Of course, if it was fiction nobody would believe that tv presenters could really be that awful, would they? Truth is stranger than fiction, and coincidences happen more in real life than fiction too.

Agree with you, may. Sometimes I feel angry with myself for watching it when he's on, but it draws you in, if nothing else just to see what depths he will sink to - car crash telly sums it up perfectly, as does your comment about "unwatchable but yet unmissible". It would make a hilarious comedy programme - or even a series - with the right person handling it.

How about "Acorn Ideal World" for a starter? :mysmilie_17:

Last week we had Dirty Peter, in very short shorts, flashing his camel toe.

Now we have the rancid carcass wearing what can only be described as Timmy Mallett Pantaloons.

Crank :mysmilie_59:

image.jpgimage.jpg

He's just class, all the way through (oops, I'm always putting in those letters "cl" by mistake...):mysmilie_19:
I looked in IW the other day when it was garden special and our Rev was so amazed at the bargain price that he was overcome and speechless, he asked the guest (a lady, I don't know her name) to carry on.
Then he stood there with that look of disbelief , with his usual , hands clasped, both forefingers on his closed lips....."so amazed at the cheap price "
Wow, what an act!!

Dee (Bees) Knees and Nanty! A match truly made in heaven..(or the other place)....:mysmilie_59:

Ha Ha :mysmilie_19: Oh he's absolutely hideous Momma, he revolts me. And his piggy knarled trotters are no doubt as grotesque as his big Camel Toe.

But can I just say that I utterly despise that Suzy Taramasalata Ionnides sort, she's as sour as Ouzo. Her and him with their effin rank Bonded Pleather Plop is too much, her voice?

She's like some Greek Goy Anthea Turner impersonator, that drone is worse that CHUNTLEYS.

And now we have Honky Tonks Nanty shilling Ladies Frocks with Lizard Chops De Knees. I bet he knows all there is to know about Quilts too, betcha he sits sewing them for his Mam :mysmilie_59:

View attachment 11411

When describing the Pleather Bin Bag Chairs Dirty Peter says : -

'It's designed to be an artistic piece to comfort you, to relax you, to be the simple essence of optimal aspirational, beautiful leathers'

He's all over the place even by his standards :mysmilie_59:

image.jpg

When describing the Pleather Bin Bag Chairs Dirty Peter says : -

'It's designed to be an artistic piece to comfort you, to relax you, to be the simple essence of optimal aspirational, beautiful leathers'

He's all over the place even by his standards :mysmilie_59:

View attachment 11942

On the subject of the faux leather chairs , over the weekend he said of them 'of craftsmanship and stitching.......'.
I squinted at the screen and could see no stitching , indeed it appeared that the edges of the paper ,plastic and shredded leather off cuts which make up the 'beautiful bonded leather' were simply glued into place !
Can anyone shed any light on this ?
Additionally he claimed 'bespoke delivery to the room of your choice'.
This is a very misleading claim because they have to be assembled by the customer-the delivery men just dump the boxes.
There is often a ghastly woman on set with him when he flogs this stuff who sprawls on the chairs with a hideous fake smile frozen on her features whilst nodding in an imbecilic fashion in response to Peter's inane ramblings.

Last edited:
On the subject of the faux leather chairs , over the weekend he said of them 'of craftsmanship and stitching.......'.
I squinted at the screen and could see no stitching , indeed it appeared that the edges of the paper ,plastic and shredded leather off cuts which make up the 'beautiful bonded leather' were simply glued into place !
Can anyone shed any light on this ?
Additionally he claimed 'bespoke delivery to the room of your choice'.
This is a very misleading claim because they have to be assembled by the customer-the delivery men just dump the boxes.
There is often a ghastly woman on set with him when he flogs this stuff who sprawls on the chairs with a hideous fake smile frozen on her features whilst nodding in an imbecilic fashion in response to Peter's inane ramblings.

This doesn't surprise me in the least Aqua. Stitching? My backside, and that he referred to 'Leather' in the plural is a joke, Leather in the singular is stretching it! These chairs really are garbage, expensive garbage though.

Even having only briefly listened to the sale I referred to it's pretty obvious it was not high on accuracy. He was beyond incoherent, spluttering and mumbling. It's only my opinion but he looks and sounds like he's had a sniff of the barmaids apron.

The standard of presentation is derisory, it's getting worse and worse. But speaking of garbage they're now, yet again, shilling those utterly muck rings and the noises he is making are revolting and jeez, that guest is a complete and utter schlock.

And again, it would appear he's making yet more totally spurious stock level claims. He keeps saying sizes are limited but there's no indication on screen that they are.

It gets dodgier by the day :down:

Peter Simon is there deliberately to 'muddy the waters' confusing the buyer with 'impressive' and 'peruasive' sounding arguements to get them to buy their dodgy and shoddy products. It may seem as if his incoherence is just bumbling but is a deliberate and cynical ploy by the channel. Peter is the master of deception. Problem is that the viewers are too ignorant/thick to know that this is going on...

Peter Simon is there deliberately to 'muddy the waters' confusing the buyer with 'impressive' and 'peruasive' sounding arguements to get them to buy their dodgy and shoddy products. It may seem as if his incoherence is just bumbling but is a deliberate and cynical ploy by the channel. Peter is the master of deception. Problem is that the viewers are too ignorant/thick to know that this is going on...

Heard a classic example of this yesterday when he was talking about the "bespoke delivery service" for those bonded leather monstrosities that he was groping a but too eagerly for my liking today. After talking about the delivery service he mentioned the word 'bespoked' followed by other words used to describe the chairs; the contextual implication being that the bonded leather lumps were somehow 'bespoked' in nature.

If you ever thought that Peter Simon's deliberately bumbling sales pitch had no ulterior motive(s) then this proved quite conclusively that this isn't the case at all. Shocking if you think about it.

That's right , Peter is guileful......adjective
meaning ;
insidiously cunning; artfully deceptive; wily.
I'm guessing that he is , in sales terms , the UK's most successful shopping telly presenter ever.
He is also energetic , committed and I suspect, narcissistic .
A winning combination!

Heard a classic example of this yesterday when he was talking about the "bespoke delivery service" for those bonded leather monstrosities that he was groping a but too eagerly for my liking today. After talking about the delivery service he mentioned the word 'bespoked' followed by other words used to describe the chairs; the contextual implication being that the bonded leather lumps were somehow 'bespoked' in nature.

If you ever thought that Peter Simon's deliberately bumbling sales pitch had no ulterior motive(s) then this proved quite conclusively that this isn't the case at all. Shocking if you think about it.

The language used in these sales has become more and more extreme as this awful channel has, perhaps, become more and more desperate.

So they pitch these genuinely trash products squarely at people with aches, pains, and a lack of mobility, often old and living alone. And how would a decent, responsible retailer deliver it to said people?

Get two people (as that is what it takes to pick it up) to dump a no doubt massive unopened box containing the unasssembled contraption in their living room.

Bespoke? My hide. Disgraceful? Certainly.

Peter Simon's compliance record is utterly, and demonstrably, appalling. Some people might describe him as a proven, prolific liar and surely only the most downmarket, careless and perhaps desperate of retailers would hire such a character :down:

On Bid Pete was creepy and funny but watchable because of the comedy that was Bid.
On IW I find I cannot watch him pawing at the models and guests ,it makes me cringe and turn over the channel. he could never sell me anything .....I'm waiting for Sheila or Lynn to whack him one live on air.They seem pretty strong and sensible ladies, at some stage they are going to do it ,the body language says it all.

And who are you? :mysmilie_15: Mr Stephen Hawking?. :mysmilie_15: You're on a shopping telly forum (clues in the title) so that must make you one of us, the ignorant/thick crew. :mysmilie_15: We're not really "ignorant" or "thick" though but thanks anyway for that, we're just buying what we like, nothing more nothing less.

He's just a bad actor ,ex Children's TV . a lot of people like him,they liked him on Childrens TV. I didnt and still don't.

And who are you? :mysmilie_15: Mr Stephen Hawking?. :mysmilie_15: You're on a shopping telly forum (clues in the title) so that must make you one of us, the ignorant/thick crew. :mysmilie_15: We're not really "ignorant" or "thick" though but thanks anyway for that, we're just buying what we like, nothing more nothing less.

To be fair, Pope Pete's deception tactics often aren't immediately that obvious to the uninitiated and they only happen occasionally, eg. 'bespoked' for the delivery conflated with talking about the sofa's quality. This is extremely close to outright deception as opposed to general incoherent rambling (a big chunk of his sales pitch) or a genuine mistake which he does occasionally make but is often concealed by the rest of the pitch.

If I had a serious intention of buying any featured product then I would be paying much more attention to what he was saying :mysmilie_59:

Well you're IW's biggest fan buying any old bit of tat and useless gadget going. Pete and the producers must lick their lips when you come along like a consumer lapdog panting and drooling for the next bit of cheapo rip-off garb...:mysmilie_19:

Latest posts

Back