Practical Presents TSV 02/10/20

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I'm hoping for a nice autumn/winter/Christmas selection. Preferably the new fragrances etc. What I will be disappointed with is a huge collection of candles, all the same fragrances from 'classic' favourites.

I’ve been burning my Yankee (and other) candles during the day while working from home during lockdown. I am ashamed to say that every cupboard I opened had large or medium candles I’d hardly used or were brand new so my aim is to use them all up before buying anymore. I hope the TSV isn’t too tempting tho’ 😳 but if it’s classic fragrances then I will be able to resist since I have most of them already!

I’ve been burning my Yankee (and other) candles during the day while working from home during lockdown. I am ashamed to say that every cupboard I opened had large or medium candles I’d hardly used or were brand new so my aim is to use them all up before buying anymore. I hope the TSV isn’t too tempting tho’ 😳 but if it’s classic fragrances then I will be able to resist since I have most of them already!

Tragically, I consider this one of my few lockdown 'achievements' but in the last 6 months, I've gone from a cupboard full of 30+ Yankee Candles to my last 10 (6 of which I'll never burn as they're long discontinued favourites and the other 4 being Xmas candles). Aside from Calamansi Cocktail which I love (reminded me of one of another old fave, Early Sunrise) the newer Yankees I've bought last/this year have massively disappointed me in smell, throw and performance - you can tell the quality has decreased and even the Calamansi one can only be burned for a short while as it smokes so badly 😔 I'm just hoping I can stay strong and not yield to temptation...although if it's some kind of 'back from the vault' TSV with some of my old faves, then I doubt my resolve will hold 🤪

Tarts I love. I have a giant box full of them. Too many really, but every time I go to the outlet Hallmark shop at Junction 32, I just can't stop myself buying more. My brother and hubby try and stop me, but my will is too strong. I am a very sad person. ;) I love the smell of Christmas Eve and have lots of them, when my stash gets down to about 5, I have to get some more. Mind you, my nephew's girlfriend took a liking for candles last year, so I got a burner from Temptation Gifts with 50% off and just parcelled up a load of tarts and t-lights for Christmas and she was delighted. Then of course I had to re-stock. :LOL:

Tragically, I consider this one of my few lockdown 'achievements' but in the last 6 months, I've gone from a cupboard full of 30+ Yankee Candles to my last 10 (6 of which I'll never burn as they're long discontinued favourites and the other 4 being Xmas candles). Aside from Calamansi Cocktail which I love (reminded me of one of another old fave, Early Sunrise) the newer Yankees I've bought last/this year have massively disappointed me in smell, throw and performance - you can tell the quality has decreased and even the Calamansi one can only be burned for a short while as it smokes so badly 😔 I'm just hoping I can stay strong and not yield to temptation...although if it's some kind of 'back from the vault' TSV with some of my old faves, then I doubt my resolve will hold 🤪

I dream of being down to my last 30!! I haven’t bought any for ages, though, definitely not the big jars anyway. I’ve not been burning them as much lately, to be honest. I have, however, sold a few on eBay. I was surprised at the prices some of them were fetching, especially as many of mine are 5+ years old and now fairly rare, so I couldn’t resist, even if I liked them. Having as many as I do, I find it easier to say goodbye.

I am not sure I have noticed such a big difference in quality myself. I have always found that the odd one would smoke or have a disappointing throw and I still find that sometimes. There were those 10 small jars in a TSV which were definitely sub-standard with their skinny wicks which burned out and either wouldn’t pool or were impossible to relight after a use or two. For me, the “decline” is that the newer smells are less and less to my liking (or are too samey).

I am pretty sure I’ll be able to resist the TSV but will look from habit and will be interested to know what people think if they get them.

I bought myself a wax burner from Q some years ago and amassed a huge collection of wax tarts from various sources, they were in carrier bags, muslin bags and in drawers. During one of my decluttering exercises..I looked at the dusty looking burner on the side, then noticed it had a big chip in the side I bunged it, put all the tarts into the charity donation bag and have never looked back. I have two or three scented candles in the cupboard ready for the winter/festive period and that's my lot. It's too easy to get into collecting stuff and ending up throwing it all out when you're fed up with all the clutter..so, yep, I'll be resisting the tsv. My favourite ever candles are the Zoella ones, I think they only come out at xmas...nice little glass, smell divine, and when they're run out they go in the bin- job done!

Can I ask a question? Why are you not burning the discontinued ones, what is the point of having them just sitting in a cupboard? You do know that the fragrance will fade over time even if unburnt, you should burn and enjoy.

I once had someone ask me if I burnt the candles I bought(not Yankee) and I said yes of course. She said she had friends who never burnt any candles they bought just had them as decoration🙄

From 2014 until last year I think I bought every Yankee candle tsv, and some of the price ones too. But then last year after moving to a new city and aldi becoming my local shop I tried their candles and was blown away by the price being so much better, scents being more interesting, stronger and lasting longer and I think looking more luxurious so I decided to stick with aldi at a fraction of the price. The Jo malone rip off velvety rose is so amazing, also tired some of the Yankee rip off range they had earlier this year and the smells were so much stronger. I can't see myself going back to Yankee again, well apart from maybe the Christmas votive sets once a year 🎄😊

Can I ask a question? Why are you not burning the discontinued ones, what is the point of having them just sitting in a cupboard? You do know that the fragrance will fade over time even if unburnt, you should burn and enjoy.

I once had someone ask me if I burnt the candles I bought(not Yankee) and I said yes of course. She said she had friends who never burnt any candles they bought just had them as decoration🙄

I know, it's bonkers isn't it but the 4 candles I'm keeping hold such evocative and happy (associative) memories for me that all I need to do is open the jar and I'm back 🥰 I know they will fade but I want to keep those 4 for those memories, as long as the scent lasts.

ETA: one of them, Pomegranate Fruit reminds me of one wonderful Christmas when my late Mum was still well and happy and full of life.

It is nice to have fragrances which bring back memories of happy times and that sense of smell really delivers.Unfortunately I cannot get on with YC and candles in general.They seem to irritate my nose and throat and can just smell that awful paraffin aroma.Wish I could find something that worked for me.

Merry Marshmallow reminds me of Christmas back in the 60's when both my Gran and Grandad were alive and Gran was always baking biscuits and buns. Her kitchen always smelled like that MM candle. I just realised it's 20 years ago this month that she died and it will be 50 years (can you believe that) since my Grandad died. I feel quite old :rolleyes:

CC

I know, it's bonkers isn't it but the 4 candles I'm keeping hold such evocative and happy (associative) memories for me that all I need to do is open the jar and I'm back 🥰 I know they will fade but I want to keep those 4 for those memories, as long as the scent lasts.

ETA: one of them, Pomegranate Fruit reminds me of one wonderful Christmas when my late Mum was still well and happy and full of life.
Tarketta you've reduced me to tears & I know exactly what you mean. Of all our senses smell is the one most closely linked to memory, I have synesthesia, never knew about this until 15 years ago, & if you're going to have a neuro condition this is the best one. There are certain fragrances that take me back to times & places; my mum died in 2002, her Windsmoor blazer's been in my wardrobe since she left us & even though it's been cleaned both cuffs still retain her perfume, one sniff & she's standing beside me 💐

It is nice to have fragrances which bring back memories of happy times and that sense of smell really delivers.Unfortunately I cannot get on with YC and candles in general.They seem to irritate my nose and throat and can just smell that awful paraffin aroma.Wish I could find something that worked for me.
My favourite candles are St Eval. I only buy the tealights, they last for around 6 hours & one burning on the window sill in the hall scents all of downstairs & up onto the landing. I love Joy & Vintage Rose in summer, Inspiritus & Cinnamon Orange in autumn & Figgy Pudding (the BEST) at Christmas. I get them from eBay - 2 boxes of 9 for £14!

Tarketta you've reduced me to tears & I know exactly what you mean. Of all our senses smell is the one most closely linked to memory, I have synesthesia, never knew about this until 15 years ago, & if you're going to have a neuro condition this is the best one. There are certain fragrances that take me back to times & places; my mum died in 2002, her Windsmoor blazer's been in my wardrobe since she left us & even though it's been cleaned both cuffs still retain her perfume, one sniff & she's standing beside me 💐

Twilight, I have synaethesia too and just like you, smell can transport me to places both good and bad. I'm welling up typing this (in a good way) but I've also kept some of my Mum's favourite clothing which I always smell when I go see my Dad and like you say, there she is next to me 🥰

Twilight, I have synaethesia too and just like you, smell can transport me to places both good and bad. I'm welling up typing this (in a good way) but I've also kept some of my Mum's favourite clothing which I always smell when I go see my Dad and like you say, there she is next to me 🥰

I know what synaesthesia is but I don’t know what criteria determine whether you are a fully paid-up synaesthesiac and I’m probably not one. However, I do find smells incredibly evocative. I often get a really strong feeling smelling something but can’t put my finger on what the memory is or why I feel like that. I just know I suddenly feel sad, happy, nervous or whatever. Do you ever get that, either of you?

So I am sensitive to smells but I think the most powerfully evocative thing for me is probably music. I find certain songs very mood-changing.

Last edited:
I know what synaesthesia is but I don’t know what criteria determine whether you are a fully paid-up synaesthesiac and I’m probably not one. However, I do find smells incredibly evocative. I often get a really strong feeling smelling something but can’t put my finger on what the memory is or why I feel like that. I just know I suddenly feel sad, happy, nervous or whatever. Do you ever get that, either of you?

So I am sensitive to smells but I think the most powerfully evocative thing for me is probably music. I find certain songs very mood-changing.

AndiK, I'm sure more people are than know it, but I've always seen everything in colours, so days of the week, numbers, letters etc all have different colours in my head. For example, Monday is pale blue, Tuesday is bright red, Wednesday is ochre, Thursday is dark red, Friday is dark green, Saturday is black and Sunday is a silvery blue. I have a good memory for numbers as I can remember their 'colours' and smells also have shapes and sensations. Tresor is like trying to shove a dusty balloon up my nose, some smells are like running my nostril over bricks or against the inside of a cold metal colander etc etc. It all sounds crackpot I know, but to me it's totally normal 🤪

You certainly don't need to be synaethesic to experience smells on many levels though 😊 and I am totally with you re music too...Peter Gabriel's So will always transport me to my bedroom, feeling depressed about my upcoming GCSEs

Latest posts

Back