Presenters "negotiating" prices?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

VapidStoat

Registered Shopper
I meant to post this on Tuesday, but got watching a film and fell asleep.

Anyway, Chloe's on in the afternoon, and she's shilling clothes and the like. She gets to a, frankly unremarkable fleece lounge suit that apparently fits everyone from a size small to a circus big top. Chloe's saying it can be worn on a night out, as it's that classy. Frankly, it just looked lihe fleecy winter pyjamas.

After the sale starts at a ludicrous £635 or something equally stupid, it finally finishes at £29.99. Which was still very overpriced. But Chloe makes a huge palaver out of how she's negotiated this price for the discerning viewers of her show. So there!

And that was that, until later on that evening when I was channel hopping, and landed on TJC as Andy and Jenny were flogging these selfsame fleecy loungewear pyjamas. Just at the point where Andy said the price should stop at £39.99, and that he had been prepared to knock a fiver off that price. But as nobody was apparently watching or buying, he would drop the price to, and you will never believe this, £29.99!

Uncanny, isn't it? It's almost as if TJC wanted to flog this suit at thirty quid anyway, but decided to come up with some shady spiel to try and drum up more sales!

I really wish that TJC and Gemporia would stop with the lies, the shady tricks, and presenters' shenanigans. None of it paints the companies or the presenters in the best light, or says much about the quality of tbeir goods, if they have to come up with elaborate ruses and ploys to sell them.

Let's be honest about it, rarely do the starting prices on selly telly reverse auctions mean anything.

It would be like your local Ford dealer doing a reverse auction event. First product, a new Fiesta. Starting price, £500,000. Final price, £20,000.

Means diddly squat, regardless of what they'd have you believe.

Anyway, Chloe's on in the afternoon, and she's shilling clothes and the like. She gets to a, frankly unremarkable fleece lounge suit that apparently fits everyone from a size small to a circus big top. Chloe's saying it can be worn on a night out, as it's that classy. Frankly, it just looked lihe fleecy winter pyjamas.

After the sale starts at a ludicrous £635 or something equally stupid, it finally finishes at £29.99. Which was still very overpriced. But Chloe makes a huge palaver out of how she's negotiated this price for the discerning viewers of her show. So there!

And that was that, until later on that evening when I was channel hopping, and landed on TJC as Andy and Jenny were flogging these selfsame fleecy loungewear pyjamas. Just at the point where Andy said the price should stop at £39.99, and that he had been prepared to knock a fiver off that price. But as nobody was apparently watching or buying, he would drop the price to, and you will never believe this, £29.99!

Uncanny, isn't it? It's almost as if TJC wanted to flog this suit at thirty quid anyway, but decided to come up with some shady spiel to try and drum up more sales!

I really wish that TJC and Gemporia would stop with the lies, the shady tricks, and presenters' shenanigans. None of it paints the companies or the presenters in the best light, or says much about the quality of tbeir goods, if they have to come up with elaborate ruses and ploys to sell them.
This is one of the things that drives me insane. Why would it be down to the presenters to negotiate a price? Surely that’s what the buyers do? The other thing that winds me up is ‘I wouldn’t bring it to air, I told them I’m not doing it’ . So how high up the pecking order do you have to be to pick and choose the products you get to air. And pity those poor presenters who have no choice but to show the stuff that Chloe and Mark won’t air!

This is one of the things that drives me insane. Why would it be down to the presenters to negotiate a price? Surely that’s what the buyers do? The other thing that winds me up is ‘I wouldn’t bring it to air, I told them I’m not doing it’ . So how high up the pecking order do you have to be to pick and choose the products you get to air. And pity those poor presenters who have no choice but to show the stuff that Chloe and Mark won’t air!
Chloe let the cat out of the bag during an on-air strop a year or so back. It was when Peter Sherlock had been taken on, and Chloe had apparently been told that a few of the higher end beauty products she had been mostly presenting were now going to him.

I know this, because she very angrily told the viewers it. It was the most fun I have ever had watching one of her shows! Chloe said she was peeved because the decisions about who presents what, prices etc. are all established behind the scenes, and presenters like her are brought in simply to present items to potential customers, and get sales. So she couldn't really complain about having the type of products she presents chsnged. Though I would imagine that she would have been regretting the loss of potential future freebies to try out before presenting beauty products on air.

And since most, if not all, of TJC's presenters are freelance and seem to do a number of other jobs apart from selly telly, it's no skin off their noses what price items sell for.

Which is something to remember the next time you see Mark start huffing at the camera because something he's trying to sell is priced "far too low", and he is behaving like it's an attack on his family's honour, or something.

Chloe let the cat out of the bag during an on-air strop a year or so back. It was when Peter Sherlock had been taken on, and Chloe had apparently been told that a few of the higher end beauty products she had been mostly presenting were now going to him.

I know this, because she very angrily told the viewers it. It was the most fun I have ever had watching one of her shows! Chloe said she was peeved because the decisions about who presents what, prices etc. are all established behind the scenes, and presenters like her are brought in simply to present items to potential customers, and get sales. So she couldn't really complain about having the type of products she presents chsnged. Though I would imagine that she would have been regretting the loss of potential future freebies to try out before presenting beauty products on air.

And since most, if not all, of TJC's presenters are freelance and seem to do a number of other jobs apart from selly telly, it's no skin off their noses what price items sell for.

Which is something to remember the next time you see Mark start huffing at the camera because something he's trying to sell is priced "far too low", and he is behaving like it's an attack on his family's honour, or something.
I stopped watching the Beauty Hours not long after Peter Sherlock came along. Can’t bear to watch him - Beauty Expert? Not likely. He’s welcome to shill as much Opatra gizmos as he likes, my money is safe!

I stopped watching the Beauty Hours not long after Peter Sherlock came along. Can’t bear to watch him - Beauty Expert? Not likely. He’s welcome to shill as much Opatra gizmos as he likes, my money is safe!
I can't watch him. How anyone can take their beauty advice from a greasy chancer in a cheap suit and a bad bleach job is beyond me.

I couldn't take him seriously on Bid.tv, and his reinvention as a "beauty guru" is hysterical. The best thing was when he joined Ideal World as their Fabulift "expert", and he had gotten either Botox or filler injections, snd they had very obviously gone wrong.

To give him his due, after it was posted about (and mocked, a lot) on this site, Sherlock did actually post a response owning up. I'd still take any advice he had to give on anything with a mountain or two of salt

Fascinating stuff: this evening Mark is selling Lucy Q jewellery and, unless I misunderstood, he said that he often spent an hour with management negotiating prices of the products he is going to present. There was even an audience member who thanked him for being such an advocate for TJC's customers. This aspect of the advocate seems to be an important part of the persona that some presenters try to portray. Thus far, I have only seen Mark doing it. I have never seen Vicky or Kim, for instance, speaking of negotiating prices. I found it fascinating, particularly given that, if the text message I mentioned is true, some customers certainly believe in these personas.

Chloe often says things like this. Foolishly I thought the Buyers’ job was negotiating the pricing. Andy Hodgson drives me insane with ‘I’m taking this to rock bottom for you’. Has he really any say in what items go for?

It might be a way of establishing trust with the viewers, while at the same time boosting the presenters' egos by making them seem important.... I am as curious and nosy as Jessica Fletcher, so I would love to see what really goes on in the meetings between management and presenters. Just the other day Vicky said she never sold anything she liked. Do they really have that freedom and authority? I was surprised by the possibility. I guess there is a great deal of junk being sold by the channel. Who is selling the junk that no presenter likes?

Yes, I hear this all the time. I pity those poor presenters who are so far down the pecking order that they have to pick up all the tat. I suspect those presenters are the same ones who appear in those dreadful promos. Never see Chloe in one of those 🤣🤣

Yes, I hear this all the time. I pity those poor presenters who are so far down the pecking order that they have to pick up all the tat. I suspect those presenters are the same ones who appear in those dreadful promos. Never see Chloe in one of those 🤣🤣
Does that mean you are not recording the Sweet 16 promo complete with catchy song to listen to at a later date?

Is anyone here fan of the Sweet 16 promo?

Does that mean you are not recording the Sweet 16 promo complete with catchy song to listen to at a later date?

Is anyone here fan of the Sweet 16 promo?
Derek and Marina seem to have cornered the market in awful ditties on TJC.

First it was that abysmal dirge last Christmas, and now this shocker. They are funny though, since the lyrics don't always seem to go with the tunes.

Either way, they haven't made me buy anything. I wonder how long it will be before the next clearance/sale/whatever? There seems to be one every couple of weeks or so these days.

Omg, I kind of liked the Sweet 16 jingle, it was kind of adorable. XD
Standouts include Kim eyeing up the sweets, and Rob stealing a jar of sweets under his jacket.
I did do a double-take when I saw that Derek had written the lyrics. Did he do the Christmas one too?

Chloe used to do that all the time when they were only selling jewellery.
How she used to storm into the office and confront Amit the head buyer about the prices. How she might face the sack but she didn’t care.It’s all about giving us a good deal .
If anything I think she has toned it down.Amit has long gone.
I enjoyed shopping TV for the mad selling techniques.
The clothing sold on TJC is mostly unwearable in my opinion.

Omg, I kind of liked the Sweet 16 jingle, it was kind of adorable. XD
Standouts include Kim eyeing up the sweets, and Rob stealing a jar of sweets under his jacket.
I did do a double-take when I saw that Derek had written the lyrics. Did he do the Christmas one too?
Yes he did. I’m sure I remember him calling in during the first lockdown from his studio at home, I think his background is in music. Regarding their promos, they are dire compared to Gemporia, who certainly have a very slick company doing all the ads, but TJC’s look like they’ve rounded up a few staff from the warehouse! Or someone still has a Desktop Publishing program on their PC.

Yes he did. I’m sure I remember him calling in during the first lockdown from his studio at home, I think his background is in music. Regarding their promos, they are dire compared to Gemporia, who certainly have a very slick company doing all the ads, but TJC’s look like they’ve rounded up a few staff from the warehouse! Or someone still has a Desktop Publishing program on their PC.
Derek also did a few of the TJC jingles. I seem to remember Chloe saying that he was responsible for the Deal of the Day one, at least.

She didn't appear to be very impressed as she said it, anyway.

Chloe used to do that all the time when they were only selling jewellery.
How she used to storm into the office and confront Amit the head buyer about the prices. How she might face the sack but she didn’t care.It’s all about giving us a good deal .
If anything I think she has toned it down.Amit has long gone.
I enjoyed shopping TV for the mad selling techniques.
The clothing sold on TJC is mostly unwearable in my opinion.
It's proper bottom of the barrel isn't it? I know we call some of the stuff on other channels "market stall" but this truly is. The stuff you see on trestles wrapped in dusty cellophane, faded to b*ggery with the odd ant crawling around in the packet!

Derek also did a few of the TJC jingles. I seem to remember Chloe saying that he was responsible for the Deal of the Day one, at least.

She didn't appear to be very impressed as she said it, anyway.
I believe Derek is responsible for a fair bit of the background music too, the ones that play in the background while waiting for "auction frenzy" to build, the heartbeat type music etc.

Latest posts

Back