Priorities

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
What is more important now ? a set of new bedding or food essentials to survive ? and I'm not talking about Gower Cottage ****** brownies !

We have people who cant work and are seriously worried about where their next loaf is coming from - if they can get one that is, there are those who are struggling to find a toilet roll from the stripped shelves, and those at high risk (me) isolated for at least 12 weeks. So I no longer want, or have a need , to watch QVC . Have we heard if L'Occitane or any of the other beauty firms have donated any of their products to the NHS ?

No, I don't want clothes that I cant wear anywhere, or new equipment whether its keep fit, kitchen gadgets, or cleaning products. I'll make do with what I have. My main priority and nothing else, is keeping enough food in the fridge/freezer for me and my little dog.

Totally agree with you Brissles I watch QVC very little as it seems so irrelevant.I am my departed partner of this world would say’ I am in the lifeboat’.That does not mean I am not concerned about those who have lost their jobs, the economy,shop closures etc. We as individuals can not control this, I am looking after myself, immediate neighbours and giving support to friends by phone & online.My only hope from this is that the No.1 priority in this country is for our own NHS, to give those engaged at every level the wage and respect they deserve.I have due to my own situation recently speak from first hand knowledge of the dedication of these people.

I have no time for the beauty giants of this world and L’occataine woman on Q annoys the life out of me but I did read that the company donated tubes of hand cream to nurses. Let’s hope it was a worthwhile gesture and not tiny samples they aren’t able to get rid of.

we would like to think that when this is all over they would find the money to bring the NHS back to what it used to be but our government will be running to sell it off to The Donald as they had intended before this all happened.

Having worked for many years in the NHS LATI I only wish there was someone at the very top who all the managers with budgets were answerable to. No matter how much money we throw at the NHS, the way money is managed, spent and wasted wouldn't be tolerated in a private company. The clinicians and nurses work with what they have with the resources and always within boundaries. I saw first hand the exorbitant prices charged by outside companies because they believe the NHS is a cash cow.

We wanted some shelving in the photocopying room for the paper - a small room about 10 x 6, the price quoted for these shelves ? £600, yep SIX HUNDRED. My colleague' husband said he would put them up on a Sunday afternoon at no cost, but he wasn't allowed to - Health & Safety you see, When the Trusts did away with in-house cleaners, maintenance and other facilities, the flood gates opened to contractors who fleece the NHS knowing they can get away with it. Unless everything is returned to in-house then money will continue to drain away, and not go where its intended, on equipment and supplies. And not forgetting all the outpatient aids that cant be returned ie crutches/walking aids etc that apparently is too expensive to have sanitised and re-used so new ones are continually bought. How many homes have these discarded items in their sheds or spare rooms ? All these have to be paid for. So, for me the NHS needs a complete financial overhaul.

I know exactly what you are saying, the bigger the organisation the bigger the bureaucracy.

Even the massive private companies have 1 person at the very top who can step in and make immediate decisions, be they bad or good. Dyson, Branson Sugar etc may not be the best employers and may be totally self centred but when there is an emergency it doesn’t have to go through tenders, umpteen committees, Uncle Tom Cobley and all before they can change the tea bag brand.

Mr L was a engineer/manager in the Civil Service. Their budget was cut to the bone all year then towards the end of the financial year suddenly there was extra money allocated to them. Couple of problems, it was middle of winter not the best weather to do tarmacing etc. Their budget was split into revenue and capital, often the money was given to one budget but the other side of it was frozen so theoretically you had money to install a new structure but no money to pay for labour for installation or visa versa. Unfortunately every year the new year budget was an automatic cut of x% on the previous one so if you didn’t use the extra you were cut back so much it was impossible to function.

i Know that people always say that all NHS managers should be sacked and the money given to the doctors but that’s ridiculous as how are doctors supposed to do medical duties on top of actually running the hospitals. Managers are needed but it has got out of hand and the organisations have got so big even they can’t do their jobs there is so much red tape.

Our local doctors whinged for years about not being able to manage their own budgets, rules changed and now suddenly they had to account for every penny, pay salaries, employ practice managers etc and suddenly they were whinging again about having to spend all their time filling forms. I work with a chap whose wife has a job at a surgery where she rewrites all the doctors prescriptions using cheaper versions of the medicines they have prescribed. WTF is that!!,!

Another anomaly I came across, which absolutely staggered me.

Many of the Managers (I'm not saying all), were nurses who had climbed their particular career ladder and could no longer get a higher pay grade, so they re-trained on an admin course, moved sideways across to administration, and then proceeded to climb the ladder again. I have nothing against this, as furthering careers is a given, but this was one indication as to how numbers in nursing was decreasing - not that they had left the NHS but had simply moved sideways. I remember saying at the time, that I as a PA wouldn't be in the least bit qualified at moving onto the wards, so how does someone with medical training know how to manage budgets and the like.

Or, when a Consultant is on annual leave / sick, another locum Consultant is brought in - usually himself on holiday from another Trust, but for 2 weeks work could make treble his normal monthly salary.

But of course, this sort of information never makes it way into the Press because one cannot fault the NHS. We'd be stuffed without it, the clinicians and medical staff are beyond all criticism, but the institution itself needs overhauling.

My biggest fault with NHS is surgeons being employed by NHS also doing private work. They don’t have time on their list for you but hey presto suddenly you can see them immediately privately.

If people have the wish and means to pay privately then fine, but at private hospitals. They should only be able to do private after a FULL day‘s work at their principle place of work.

I don’t know if it’s just here as we have a different system than in mainland but doctors wouldn’t work extra because the remuneration would take them over the maximum they could pay into their pension pots (thus paying tax) so the government was debating having extra special rules for them. Don’t think too many nurses have that problem.

unfortunately medical people are just like the rest of society, plenty of caring selfless ones but also selfish ones.

I have no time for the beauty giants of this world and L’occataine woman on Q annoys the life out of me but I did read that the company donated tubes of hand cream to nurses. Let’s hope it was a worthwhile gesture and not tiny samples they aren’t able to get rid of.

we would like to think that when this is all over they would find the money to bring the NHS back to what it used to be but our government will be running to sell it off to The Donald as they had intended before this all happened.
My father was the general manager of a local hospital that got swallowed up when a 'super' one was built a few miles away. Even before that happened he said that we could spend every penny of the country's GDP on the NHS & it would still want more. Quite simply the UK model doesn't work, many people don't value it because they perceive it to be free & abuse its services & there isn't another country that has copied the way it operates. It tries to do all things for all people & our expectation is that we will live long & healthy lives. I'm currently supporting someone close to us who is pursuing a case through PALS for negligence which led to her husband's premature death. What she witnessed when he was in hospital was appalling - nurses on an eBay auction even though a patient was choking, ALL the drugs being replaced on Fridays regardless of how many were left in the trolleys, beds without sides so patients weren't safe & their absence was because the nurses didn't like them as they damaged their nails. She also said how many patients hadn't followed advice so manageable conditions had become serious & a considerable number were significantly overweight, both factors that made their prognosis pretty poor. The whole system needs overhauling - less managers & more of those who are at the coal face. I worked in a high school & girls were constantly told that they could do everything boys had always done, that they didn't have to just consider the traditionally female jobs because the world was their oyster. The caring professions have always been staffed by women, I can't think of one girl I taught during the last ten years of my career who wanted to go into nursing & it wasn't because of the salary or the shifts it was because it isn't glamourous or exciting. We reap what we sow.

I was often in A&E with my late father who had very serious COPD and whilst he a 92 year old man was lying alone in a cubicle gasping for hours waiting for a bed, numerous nurses and police were dealing with drunks and drug addicts . Makes me feel hospitals should have the old US can/cage thing where these are chucked in to sober up whilst medical personnel deal with medical problems not social ones but then that would be against the little darlings freedom to be able to do what they want whilst we pick up the tab.

I would be the last to even suggest we should have a pick and choose system (even though I’m fairly sure it already exists) but really the public need to wise up phoning 999 because they have lost the remote (they need sectioned) and there needs to be a system where minor ailments are not treated in hospital.

Sadly it has changer from The National Health Service to the National Life Style Service.

Instead of being there to make sick people well it now has to spend a good chunk of it's cash on helping people live the lifestyle they want.

If you choose to drink yourself to oblivion every weekend and collapse in the street the ambulance will take you to hospital (you should be left on the pavement!)

If you choose to fill your body with Big Mac's and become obese the NHS will give you lap band surgery and treat the obesity related diabeties you developed because you're fat.

If you choose to take illegal drugs the NHS will look after you when you overdose so you can go out and take even more drugs.

If you choose to change sex the NHS will pay for this hugely expensive transition, I have no problem with trans gender people but I have an issue with the health service covering the costs.

The NHS should only treat people who become ill through no fault of their own or because they have been in an accident, anything else should be paid for by the recipient, up front before any treatment is given.

I was so reluctant to dial 999 but twice was instructed to do so by a hospital department where my partner was undergoing treatment.The 3rd time I felt it was the right thing to do, he was straight into A&E given all the treatment & the Dr. reassured me it was the right thing to do. They admitted him from there.It is so difficult when you are a carer at home to know the fine line between an OK situation which you will get through and one which need urgent hospital treatment.I acted on instinct but was reluctant, thankfully did so.

Sadly it has changer from The National Health Service to the National Life Style Service.

Instead of being there to make sick people well it now has to spend a good chunk of it's cash on helping people live the lifestyle they want.

If you choose to drink yourself to oblivion every weekend and collapse in the street the ambulance will take you to hospital (you should be left on the pavement!)

If you choose to fill your body with Big Mac's and become obese the NHS will give you lap band surgery and treat the obesity related diabeties you developed because you're fat.

If you choose to take illegal drugs the NHS will look after you when you overdose so you can go out and take even more drugs.

If you choose to change sex the NHS will pay for this hugely expensive transition, I have no problem with trans gender people but I have an issue with the health service covering the costs.

The NHS should only treat people who become ill through no fault of their own or because they have been in an accident, anything else should be paid for by the recipient, up front before any treatment is given.

yes totally agree!

The problem is that a very very large proportion of illness are in some way ”self inflicted“. Motor accidents through not perfect driving, falls because not 100% looking where you are going, incompetent DIY/gardening accidents, food poisoning and so on. Where do you start and where do you stop. Do you have that illness through a less than perfect lifestyle or would have it anyway no matter what you did.

i would start with idiots who climb mountains in conditions you wouldn’t put a rat out in, who go to sea in a boat when the nearest to this they’ve come is a rubber duck in the bath and then expect to be airlifted to hospital. If you are going to partake in this type of thing you should have insurance and then make a claim on it to reimburse the public purse.

What is more important now ? a set of new bedding or food essentials to survive ? and I'm not talking about Gower Cottage ****** brownies !

We have people who cant work and are seriously worried about where their next loaf is coming from - if they can get one that is, there are those who are struggling to find a toilet roll from the stripped shelves, and those at high risk (me) isolated for at least 12 weeks. So I no longer want, or have a need , to watch QVC . Have we heard if L'Occitane or any of the other beauty firms have donated any of their products to the NHS ?

No, I don't want clothes that I cant wear anywhere, or new equipment whether its keep fit, kitchen gadgets, or cleaning products. I'll make do with what I have. My main priority and nothing else, is keeping enough food in the fridge/freezer for me and my little dog.

I'd be keen to see if QVC are going to be making any contribution to the NHS, frankly. Normally their charitable gestures are all on someone else's dime. Mind you, I would hope they don't gift any of the food or fashion they sell to the overworked nurses and doctors although steam cleaners might actually be welcome.

Yes, 8pm in your front window. I'm expecting a call, but hopefully it will be after that time. I know it's symbolic, but still worth doing for your own morale.

Mind, I'll feel a proper idiot doing it... :whistle:

This is what I’m thinking, too! I will definitely do it but I’m worried I’ll be the only one. I’m either going in the garden (which is sort of on the side as it’s a corner house) or standing at the open front door. At least there are unlikely to be any people walking by - I’ll feel mortified if they do and stop to stare because they’ve not heard about it! The idea started in London but it’s all over the country now, though, isn’t it?

I would much rather people would do something more concrete to show their appreciation not doing something just because it is a SM opportunity as most NHS staff are either working or catching up on sleep. I don’t see what good this sort of thing does other than give people a glow of self satisfaction.

Im really not into those outpouring of floral tributes left for people you didn’t know. The florists are the only ones getting any good out of it, much rather give a donation to charity but then I suppose you can’t take a photo and post it to your followers with hearts and kisses.

I would much rather people would do something more concrete to show their appreciation not doing something just because it is a SM opportunity as most NHS staff are either working or catching up on sleep. I don’t see what good this sort of thing does other than give people a glow of self satisfaction.

Im really not into those outpouring of floral tributes left for people you didn’t know. The florists are the only ones getting any good out of it, much rather give a donation to charity but then I suppose you can’t take a photo and post it to your followers with hearts and kisses.

Aw, LATI. I did it and really enjoyed it. This is an unhappy time for people and anything that shows community spirit is good, surely. There’s a new student nurse nextdoor, I just learned (wouldn’t have known otherwise) and she was really emotional. Loads in the street here joined in and it gave some down the road chance to shout a greeting to each other as well. I didn’t do it for social media at all, or for self-satisfaction. I’m sorry you think that.

Latest posts

Back