Priorities

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

We did it in our block. I found it quite moving. We all had a wave and shouted to each other, and waved to people across the road. Some want to do it every night! That is mainly the young ones. I think there is another next Thursday. My street never really celebrates anything so I thought it was good.

I didn't start on time, but the sound of the applause from my street got me to my window. I clapped for about 5 minutes solid. My hands were toasty afterwards. It did feel like we were together with other people, even in our isolation. So I will definitely do it again, and actually go outdoors to do it (unless it's tipping it down with rain).
I didn't after all feel like an idiot. I felt connected. I felt moved. I am hopeful that it will give a little bit of a morale boost to our NHS workers who are valiantly battling this scourge.

So much for social distancing everyone was in the street.

No I’m not doing it, when I was in hospital with gastroenteritis, I went in the morning at 2am got out at 12 midday after three bags of IV saline, then had to go back at 5 that evening because it got really bad, got took straight in coz my heart was racing, they put me in a side room coz I kept running the loo at 11pm, they put me on an IV drip again and changed it twice to rehydrate me, anyway, I told the husband to go home at 1am and I dozed off first time in 48 hours, next thing this little woman doctor came in and slammed the bin lid down to wake me up and told me to get my husband back or get a taxi home, I had no money with me but luckily had my phone on me coz we don’t have a landline, I told her I hadn’t slept for days, she told me I was snoring when she came in I said yes that was the first time, and off home I went went the husband got there twenty minutes later. I wasn’t taking up a bed there was a ward half empty and I thought my number was up, but no I was kicked out anyway, so no, I didn’t clap.

While I agree with the sentiments in this tread, I did see a news report with a tube of Elemis hand creams that had been donated to the NHS workers. That said, they were 15ml size, so samples that were probably near the end of their unopened shelf life.

I would much rather people would do something more concrete to show their appreciation not doing something just because it is a SM opportunity as most NHS staff are either working or catching up on sleep. I don’t see what good this sort of thing does other than give people a glow of self satisfaction.

Im really not into those outpouring of floral tributes left for people you didn’t know. The florists are the only ones getting any good out of it, much rather give a donation to charity but then I suppose you can’t take a photo and post it to your followers with hearts and kisses.
I have given to Trussell Trust, among others in the last few weeks.

While I agree with the sentiments in this tread, I did see a news report with a tube of Elemis hand creams that had been donated to the NHS workers. That said, they were 15ml size, so samples that were probably near the end of their unopened shelf life.
As an ex health worker that most probably lasted the day.

There was no filming for social media in my street we did it as a way to show our appreciation to all those hard working people in the NHS and other front line services. Of course people are entitled to give their negative opinions but for me this is a time where we have to be positive to try and get through this difficult time.

I didn't start on time, but the sound of the applause from my street got me to my window. I clapped for about 5 minutes solid. My hands were toasty afterwards. It did feel like we were together with other people, even in our isolation. So I will definitely do it again, and actually go outdoors to do it (unless it's tipping it down with rain).
I didn't after all feel like an idiot. I felt connected. I felt moved. I am hopeful that it will give a little bit of a morale boost to our NHS workers who are valiantly battling this scourge.
What a lovely comment, it has reduced me to tears 💐

There was no filming for social media in my street we did it as a way to show our appreciation to all those hard working people in the NHS and other front line services. Of course people are entitled to give their negative opinions but for me this is a time where we have to be positive to try and get through this difficult time.

I agree, I was an NHS worker for over 22
years, I was a phlebotomist in the outpatients for ten then worked on the wards for over twelve. I have respect for my ex colleagues past and present and especially the people on the front line, I just felt I’d be a bit of a hypocrite clapping after my experience (different borough to were I worked) still felt quite raw with the treatment I received, but yes I have upmost respect for all NHS staff knowing what they have to face daily, like I say, my “negative” comment was just based on my experience.

Last edited:
I had a routine, regular blood test yesterday (finger prick) at the doctor's surgery.

You were not allowed in without a prior appointment, and I was told that the doctors are not seeing ANYONE face to face, including emergencies.

I expected that the nurse would be masked, aproned and gloved. But NO, they didn't have any!

So she was seeing one patient after another for these blood tests, all of which required hand to hand contact.

And even if you washed your hands before leaving, you then had to use 2 door handles to get out.

I had a routine, regular blood test yesterday (finger prick) at the doctor's surgery.

You were not allowed in without a prior appointment, and I was told that the doctors are not seeing ANYONE face to face, including emergencies.

I expected that the nurse would be masked, aproned and gloved. But NO, they didn't have any!

So she was seeing one patient after another for these blood tests, all of which required hand to hand contact.

And even if you washed your hands before leaving, you then had to use 2 door handles to get out.

And I had to use an intercom to get in (a button to press).

The receptionist asked over the intercom, "Did I (cough cough) have any (cough cough) symptoms such as a (cough cough) cough"?

You couldn't make it up!

And don't even ask me about a DOCTOR walking past me less than 1 foot away !!!!!!!

Q now selling 6 Meringues for a few pence short of £24 - now that’s what I call a priority. Not!

Has anyone at Q given any thought at all to programmes, not that there is anything on Q which is essential but there are some which are downright ridiculous.

Q now selling 6 Meringues for a few pence short of £24 - now that’s what I call a priority. Not!

Has anyone at Q given any thought at all to programmes, not that there is anything on Q which is essential but there are some which are downright ridiculous.
It's grotesque, isn't it?
I don't expect them to be in sackcloth and ashes, or even just wearing black... but as a nation we are facing a medical, social and economic catastrophe as much of the rest of the world is.
People are losing their livelihoods, their incomes... they are fearing for their ability to keep a roof over their heads and food on the table.
Are Q the Sports Direct of broadcasters? Completely tone deaf to the current environment and the "optics" of their conduct as they seem to be.

They don't sell anything of vital use. They are not serving a public service broadcasting role. Yet they have their staff and possibly suppliers staff at risk by keeping on going.

There is not even a glimmer of reductions on their high-priced items that possibly has a short shelf-life.

If life is going on as normal on Q, they are doing something wrong.

It's grotesque, isn't it?
I don't expect them to be in sackcloth and ashes, or even just wearing black... but as a nation we are facing a medical, social and economic catastrophe as much of the rest of the world is.
People are losing their livelihoods, their incomes... they are fearing for their ability to keep a roof over their heads and food on the table.
Are Q the Sports Direct of broadcasters? Completely tone deaf to the current environment and the "optics" of their conduct as they seem to be.

They don't sell anything of vital use. They are not serving a public service broadcasting role. Yet they have their staff and possibly suppliers staff at risk by keeping on going.

There is not even a glimmer of reductions on their high-priced items that possibly has a short shelf-life.

If life is going on as normal on Q, they are doing something wrong.
Outstanding, have a medal 🥇

Latest posts

Back