Quality of "Made for QVC" Nail polishes

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Beakerange

Registered Shopper
I didn't buy the recent OPI TSV but there were 2 shades that I liked so I bought them from ebay. 1 (the coral) is made for QVC, 1 (the light pink) is a current OPI collection. I am really disappointed with the quality of the coral - it was strange to apply, dried really slowly and started to peel pretty much the next day which is very unlike OPI. I have the other on now and even though I needed more coats it is a lot better.
Has anyone else experienced issues with "made for QVC polishes"?
I know LD and NI does this too and I have varying results with the quality of their polishes too.
I need to know whether this is a one off or a larger problem to avoid.
Ange

I DID buy that TSV and it went back the next day under DSR. I put From Q To You on my toenails, 3 coats. The next morning the big toe polish was chipped, that wasn't from wearing slippers or shoes but from the blanket(?). After a few days, half had pieces peeled off and varnish on my feet usually lasts 6 weeks. I didn't like the sheerness in application. They didn't mention that in the presentation!

Surely though with nail polish they're making a colour especially for QVC not changing the formulation? I don't know anything about manufacturing nail polish but I sort of imagine the basic "recipe" is the same simply the colouring element changes. It may well be that the colour (or whatever is usef to create the colour" affects the quality of the polish to some degree but I can't imagine they'd water down the "recipe". Surely that would take more effort than just making the usual batch?

In the case of OPI et al, they often make limited editions for this that and the other. So they must know how to make good quality smaller batches.

I don't think I've got any polishes that are "just for QVC" but I know I've got some that last better than others.

Just looked up Q reviews for that StyletasticCollection, which are mixed. Confusing, some saying great coverage and others that the polish was runny and watery. Maybe rogue batches? Different expectations? I dunno. Awaiting LD French manicure polishes, should be here soon. Playtime!

I've found that OPI "exclusive" colours are existing colours renamed. About 8-10 years I bought an OPI US exclusive made for Ulta but it was identical to a deep ruby OPI colour I already had. The same with an OPI Breast Cancer pink sold on QVC on BCC day several years ago was an OPI pink I already owned. Ofcourse there must be occasions when near identical polishes are relaunched under new names but a compulsive hoarder like me can cross-reference.

Dafter still, is Nails Inc re-using names...they can't have exhausted the London A-Z yet can they? BTW Nails Inc Lancaster Gate and Chelsea Park Gardens are identical day-glo pinks and both separate very quickly and need thorough shaking to reblend the pigments (rolling between the hands they recommend doesn't touch it).

I've read comments online about the free Nails Inc colours they've given away with magazines or coke cola promotions in being a bit watery, as they tend to be colours I already own I haven't tried these.

Jude xx

I've found that OPI "exclusive" colours are existing colours renamed. About 8-10 years I bought an OPI US exclusive made for Ulta but it was identical to a deep ruby OPI colour I already had. The same with an OPI Breast Cancer pink sold on QVC on BCC day several years ago was an OPI pink I already owned. Ofcourse there must be occasions when near identical polishes are relaunched under new names but a compulsive hoarder like me can cross-reference.

Dafter still, is Nails Inc re-using names...they can't have exhausted the London A-Z yet can they? BTW Nails Inc Lancaster Gate and Chelsea Park Gardens are identical day-glo pinks and both separate very quickly and need thorough shaking to reblend the pigments (rolling between the hands they recommend doesn't touch it).

I've read comments online about the free Nails Inc colours they've given away with magazines or coke cola promotions in being a bit watery, as they tend to be colours I already own I haven't tried these.

Jude xx

Indeed, Jude. The Nails Inc colours I've had with magazines have all been appalling quality, seperating and very watery within weeks. I ordered Porchester Square from Latest In Beauty and this is totally different to any of the free ones I've had, vastly superior in quality.

That's interesting because I got the Nails Inc freebie with a magazine recently in a pretty lilac/blue colour and it was really good. Covered well and lasted for a good couple of weeks on my toes AND three days on my fingers. Now that might not sound great but that's the best I can ever get from any polish even with Seche Vite topcoat. Without Seche Vite everything chips within a day. Even Shellac or gel only stays perfect on me for a week to 10 days.

I haven't noticed any problems with my 'only available at QVC' polishes, although I do find that Nails Inc need more layers and also chip easier than OPI and LD. On a separate note, did anyone else see Leighton Denny on his last day presenting at the old studios have a right old go about re-naming his polishes, because he had two sets and they had been renamed (for no good reason), so he had to check with the gallery what was what. He said 'if the people that are renaming my products could either not do it anymore, or keep the names I have already given them!' I love Leighton, he doesn't take any carp!!!

I have never bought OPI from Q I get mine from Sally's and I have found the quality does vary, not sure why but some covers and stays better than others and some seem to go gloopy and sticky after a while. Despite this I still think OPI is the best for me as I love the colour range they do.

From my perch on the fence, I would say that it is the luck of the draw. I use mostly Nails Inc and 99% of the time, the quality if always good whether they are made for QVC or not. I used to have Leighton Denny polishes, but they were quite thick like gloss paint and never lasted on me. I have only recently started buying OPI (just about to paint my nails with my new Coral one, yipee!) and The quality is good so far with them too.

I love my nail polishes, but my favourite brand is Nails Inc without question.

From my perch on the fence, I would say that it is the luck of the draw. I use mostly Nails Inc and 99% of the time, the quality if always good whether they are made for QVC or not. I used to have Leighton Denny polishes, but they were quite thick like gloss paint and never lasted on me. I have only recently started buying OPI (just about to paint my nails with my new Coral one, yipee!) and The quality is good so far with them too.

I love my nail polishes, but my favourite brand is Nails Inc without question.

I hope your coral goes well - it is a beautiful colour - I will try again with it and if it doesn't go well I will try it on my toes.

The only thing I notice is that when I buy Nails Inc sets from QVC, the brushes are quite often rather poor - I think I've had at least one almost unusable brush in every QVC-exclusive Nails Inc set I've bought - usually jagged edges, twisted/looped/bent bristles and the like which require some very careful trimming. I can't complain too much as they are always great value, but I've never had a bad brush when I purchase "normal" Nails Inc polishes - either from their own website or other retailers - so I can't help but wonder....

I haven't noticed any problems with my 'only available at QVC' polishes, although I do find that Nails Inc need more layers and also chip easier than OPI and LD. On a separate note, did anyone else see Leighton Denny on his last day presenting at the old studios have a right old go about re-naming his polishes, because he had two sets and they had been renamed (for no good reason), so he had to check with the gallery what was what. He said 'if the people that are renaming my products could either not do it anymore, or keep the names I have already given them!' I love Leighton, he doesn't take any carp!!!

Proper little diva isn't she!

I like Leighton. He is so focussed on the presentations and doesn't put up with tripe from the presenters. He produces a good colour range. His model does a good job too. Lovely hands. I like Nails Inc for colour best though.

Since I bought a made for QVC Kipling bag and found that it was the only one without the pockets for phone etc, I became suspicious that QVC members are short changed. Feel that some of the TSVs also can be stuff that have been with the manufacturers for a while....they might throw in a new item to lure people to buy the TSV.
Another thing that bugs me is that the One Time Only items that are those have not been sold , I mean those that are left over sizes.
That is not fair on those who do not fit in those sizes.
Many times, they are usually boots and shoes but sometimes also in clothes.
Just feel left out, just unfair!

I didn't see that from Leighton but he's right. Don't mess with the names. They do it with other brands too so if you're buying from LaQ when you've previously bought elsewhere you don't know what's what. They've done it with the Shisheido foundation apparently. Shisheido ... that's a bugger to type on yer iPhone!

That's interesting on the Nails Inc sets because often they're available elsewhere but if you buy them from LaQ they bung in an extra polish. I couldn't understand why the heavy metals collection had three metallic shaded and one creme purple until the girlie at Nails Inc explained that it was a set of three everywhere other than on QVC!

I bought the OPI TSV and have to say that I've not had any issues with them Ange. They've gone on very easily and haven't chipped since I used the coral four days ago. Maybe it was just a bad batch or the ones on ebay were older stock?

Love Leighton Denny too.

I didn't buy the recent OPI TSV but there were 2 shades that I liked so I bought them from ebay. 1 (the coral) is made for QVC, 1 (the light pink) is a current OPI collection. I am really disappointed with the quality of the coral - it was strange to apply, dried really slowly and started to peel pretty much the next day which is very unlike OPI. I have the other on now and even though I needed more coats it is a lot better.
Has anyone else experienced issues with "made for QVC polishes"?
I know LD and NI does this too and I have varying results with the quality of their polishes too.
I need to know whether this is a one off or a larger problem to avoid.
Ange

Latest posts

Back