question re Ceylon sapphires

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

emerald

Registered Shopper
Are the Ceylon sapphires in the iliana and raphsody range just heat treated or are they likely to be beryllium diffused just as has been discussed recently re various common treatments.I just wondered as I have a friend looking for an engagement ring at the moment and she would like a ceylon sapphire and I wondered if its labelled Ceylon does that mean only that it comes from Sri Lanka but that it can still have any number of treatments applied.I get the impression from the previous threads and Meeshoo's posts that even if bought in a high street shop a Ceylon sapphire may have treatments so probably her best bet is to buy a certified sapphire from a dealer?I wondered if anyone had bought from the TJC Iliana/Raphsody and spoke to them to confirm treatments re their more expensive range of sapphires.

In general (and not referring to TJC's Ceylon sapphires as I haven't been watching recently), Ceylon is used either to denote a locality OR more deceptively to make people think it has (a) a certain colour or (b) is of premium quality. The term "Ceylon" does not give an indication of quality or treatment. In fact, Ceylon has produced some dire sapphires and then some beautiful ones. I would suggest that your friend looks for a sapphire of a colour she loves (and if treatments are important to her then she insists on a lab report) and forget about locality.

In terms of the TJC ring - will it have been treated? Most probably BUT you need to call TJC. My guess would be yes but you need to ask.

Last edited:
Thanks for that information Meeshoo you must get sick of answering questions about treatments but it really is a minefield.I think my friend would prefer a natural sapphire so she will just have to stump up the money. I wouldnt mind if they were only heat treated but she is a bit more discerning and as its a special ring will be prepared to spend more than I would.

I just did a quick search for untreated sapphires, and found The Natural Sapphire Company. I then swooned and dribbled for a while, what a gorgeous site. I wanted a sapphire & diamond engagement ring, but The Count wanted a diamond solitaire... I love my engagement ring, but I do secretly wish I'd got a seriously beautiful sapphire.

Tell your friend to check it out, Emerald, I'm sure she'll find something to her taste.

Cheers, CountessK.

Don't buy from The Natural Sapphire Company. They are overpriced and don't have wonderful stones. ALSO their CEO is not a nice person and if things go wrong, you'll be on your own.

Emerald, if you want to know some alternative places to buy sapphires, let me know and I'll drop you a PM.

Holy Treated Sapphires, Batman! You're like the Caped Crusader of the gem world, Meeshoo! If I ever come up in the Lottery, I'm going to be knocking on your door for sure. In the meantime, I'll just have a drool over the pieces on their website and promise never to buy from them!

I don't know if this helps but I have bought a beautiful natural sapphire gemstone from Gemselect.com . They list all sorts of Sapphires from cheap to expensive but seem to be honest on treatments and then I had the ring made up with a diamond spec to my taste :)

I don't know if this helps but I have bought a beautiful natural sapphire gemstone from Gemselect.com . They list all sorts of Sapphires from cheap to expensive but seem to be honest on treatments and then I had the ring made up with a diamond spec to my taste :)

Gemselect are a good company - they have a large inventory - but sometimes their goods don't quite match the videos. They deal predominately in native cut stones (nothing wrong with that) but you sometimes have to ask about treatments.

I'm going to start a thread - probably later tonight - in The Drop, in the Bling section if anybody would like contact details for loose stones of companies I've dealt with that have been superb to work with. I will only recommend those that have been consistently good.

Hope that helps.

New to this website but the comments are so use full.

I spoke to customer services for a website called GEMCOLLECTOR and asked for the item code for a nice clean,deep blue blue sapphire that I could bid for and was sent a Sapphire, full of cracks and cloudier that the weather outside today :(

New to this website but the comments are so use full.

I spoke to customer services for a website called GEMCOLLECTOR and asked for the item code for a nice clean,deep blue blue sapphire that I could bid for and was sent a Sapphire, full of cracks and cloudier that the weather outside today :(

Hi Flipside and welcome to the forum :hi:

Gemcollector is one of the RocksTV/GemsTV family websites. Everything about them normally gets posted up in that part of the forum - hope that helps!

Sorry to hear about your sapphire but unfortunately not surprised. Hope you find something lovely soon.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time giving their own experience.Meeshoo its kind of you to offer recommendations of reliable dealers I think at the moment she is in touch with a lady who made her a ring last year so Im not sure if she will be able to source a stone for her but appreciate your offer if she strikes out with that.

Latest posts

Back