Qurio - a socially interesting documentary!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I think there are many people who've worked hard all their lives, have good pensions, have been financially astute (or lucky) over the years, are now mortgage free, no more travel costs to and from work and apart from the bills, council tax etc etc (that they had to pay anyway) are finding that once the basics are covered, there's a fair bit of money floating around. Apart from the world cruise, which I believe she said was being paid for by an inheritance, you see the stuff Hynacinth buys, and despite it being Qvc (so overpriced) it's all pretty small fry- there's just a lot of it! Yes of course it all adds up but if you look at it this way, she could be spending £1000 a month on her Q purchases and still have plenty of money to play with. Let's face it, when you get to a certain age (especially if you're not broke) chances are you'll have all the big stuff you need, latest tv with all the trimmings, other tech, decent car, a kitchen replete with all the must have gadgets and gizmos, decent furniture - the list goes on. They say you can't take it with you, and if you know your loved ones are provided for, and they aren't struggling to make ends meet, then I sort of understand the need to buy every item of clothing, skin cream, & every little bit of tat and trinket that catches your eye! Having said all this, it still shocks me when I see people spending so much money on stuff that's frankly not worth it because it's so overpriced and often poor quality, and that people will literally cram so much stuff into their homes which will eventually turn a lovely sanctuary for one's retirement into a cluttered mess!
On the other side of the coin, it's the folk that don't fall into the above category that are the biggest worry. Those who might be paying rent, and could find that the landlord wants them out in a month's time and suddenly they've got to look for somewhere else which comes with a deposit and advance rent - Then the wobbly Christmas ornament might not end up being such a good idea! Of course I'm not suggesting that people who are still working or pay rent to a landlord shouldn't buy treats for themselves, but a shopping addiction is definitely something best avoided in this situation. QVC aren't bothered where the money's coming from, so long as they get it. As far as they're concerned, they're aiming their wares at the "Hyacinth bracket", but the addition of their so called helpful Qurio app, they're handing over the dirty work to their customers and have created a "keeping up with the Jones's" mentality, that could spell trouble and misery for many long term!

I fit into your first paragraph Merryone, worked, pensions, home paid for and yes I do like to treat myself, at times I am really ‘too mean’ with myself! I still consider what I spend my money on and will find the cheapest option, the best thing is not owing anything, the security is so reassuring.I could be spending a lot more but something stops me ‘going over the top’, a bit daft really as there is no family to benefit from me!

I fit into merryone’s first paragraph as well. However, I only replace white goods or gadgets when the previous ones bite the dust. I’m not bothered about having the latest technology because what I currently have works just fine. I could buy a new car, as mine is now 7 years old, but I really like it and it’s no longer made so I’m sticking with it until it starts costing money to keep it on the road. However, if the model was still being produced I would buy a newer one. I’ll definitely never buy an electric car though.

I consider myself very fortunate that I don’t have to worry about bills etc but I certainly don’t fritter money on things that I don’t need and I still budget. Very occasionally I treat myself to something that I want but I shop around to find the best deal.

I'm sort of in my first paragraph, semi retired, oh's retired, mortgage free, bit of savings but still a bit of debt to pay off. Not a huge amount. Catalogue down to £500 and about £1k left on a credit card which I am no longer using to spend. I moved two card balances onto a 26 mth 0% interest account last year and it should be all done and dusted when the time runs out. I pay my way towards the bills/food and have a couple of direct debits, other than that the money's my own, and I'm careful with it these days. I'd rather spend money on experiences like holidays than on trinkets and extra clothes I don't need!

I know people who are constantly changing their furniture, re-fitting kitchens, bathrooms.It is them that are paying for it I suppose, but I wait until I NEED something, and yes Toril, my car is ancient but for the mileage I do it would be a waste to get a newer model.
One thing I am aware of is keeping abreast with technologies, more on a need to know basis.It is easy as we get older to ignore it all but that can render you unable to do some tasks.I was in a refurbished Aldi with a friend of the same age and we looked at the self check-outs, got to get to grips with these they are taking over! Have avoided them up to now but that time is running out!!

I'm sort of in my first paragraph, semi retired, oh's retired, mortgage free, bit of savings but still a bit of debt to pay off. Not a huge amount. Catalogue down to £500 and about £1k left on a credit card which I am no longer using to spend. I moved two card balances onto a 26 mth 0% interest account last year and it should be all done and dusted when the time runs out. I pay my way towards the bills/food and have a couple of direct debits, other than that the money's my own, and I'm careful with it these days. I'd rather spend money on experiences like holidays than on trinkets and extra clothes I don't need!
Someone told me that when you are in your 60s it's better to spend money on holidays and experiences than just buying more stuff. I'm 60 in 5 years time and can draw a civil service pension and get a lump sum and I plan to do an extravagant holiday to celebrate/commiserate depending how I feel thenl! The things that make me happy these days are meeting up with friends and family, days out, holidays/weekends away, trips to the theatre (mainly cheap seats up in the gods). Used to be designer handbags that made me happy🤣

Chatting to a friend at the weekend, I mentioned how I have a good amount of credit with my gas, meaning I can turn it on when cold. She said I need to be careful as if something happened to me, it would be lost! Thanks, so I might just drop dead and loose the credit on my gas.:unsure:
That's a cheerful thought!😲 At least it gives you a good motivation to try to stay alive🤣

And holiday insurance is extortionate, if you can get it at all
We get it with our Nationwide account and just pay the age excess of £65 it's a joint account so only one charge
Hubby has Glaucoma in one eye and I've got Asthma but both are covered without any excess.
My brother in law has quite a few problems and it cost him £175 which my sister said was way less than any quote they could find.

I never go abroad nowadays and am not bothering to renew my passport, so I won’t need travel insurance (as far as I know.)
Me too. My passport actually ran out a couple of years ago and I'm in no rush at all to renew it. In fact, I'm pretty certain that I won't ever renew it to be honest.

I never go abroad nowadays and am not bothering to renew my passport, so I won’t need travel insurance (as far as I know.)
Me too. My passport actually ran out a couple of years ago and I'm in no rush at all to renew it. In fact, I'm pretty certain that I won't ever renew it to be honest.
Even UK coach holidays insist on insurance

I haven’t taken out travel insurance on U.K. trips as the main reason is for medical cover.I would never step off British soil without, if I couldn’t afford the insurance I wouldn’t go.My late partner had a Cancer diagnosis & insurance was impossible.We tried ,the last occasion the questions were so intrusive it became upsetting so I insisted he would not face that again.We managed some time away in U.K..

I haven’t taken out travel insurance on U.K. trips as the main reason is for medical cover.I would never step off British soil without, if I couldn’t afford the insurance I wouldn’t go.My late partner had a Cancer diagnosis & insurance was impossible.We tried ,the last occasion the questions were so intrusive it became upsetting so I insisted he would not face that again.We managed some time away in U.K..
My sister had breast cancer,she is in remission, and with Nationwide she doesn't have to pay any excess apart from the £65 age excess.

Latest posts

Back