Qurio - a socially interesting documentary!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

My late father‘s house was a nightmare to clear. It wasn’t dirty because he didn’t keep household rubbish but it was paperwork and tat purchased from the back of magazines and newspapers (in multiples).

Unfortunately the paperwork was from a lot small groups he was involved in and included people’s names and addresses so I had to check every single piece and then shred it. It took 6 months until it made me ill and we had to call it a day and get professional spreaders in and I wished I’d just done it this time way at the start and to hell with it if anything was semi important, despite most being between 5 and 30 years old. The tat went to the council recycling

Sorry to keep going on about Hyacinth, but that woman really has got problems! Yes we kinda know that already, but her latest video of yet another Harry Slatkin Christmas tree candle because it’s been reduced to £25 and she paid £39 for hers, and showed it displayed on an extremely cluttered side table, then panned over a larger table that was literally covered with Q’s junk. The new candle is going to live on the floor next to the sofa for over a year so she can give it to someone next Christmas - she needs help clearly yet her spending buddies are just egging her on! I’m so tempted to suggest that she seeks professional help but I know it’ll be badly received . If I could private message her I think I would. How can anyone consider her shopping habits to be normal?
I too watched this and couldn't agree more. I did start to type a reply to her, mainly pointing out that she really needs to light said white tree candle ( first one, not latest one) . I too have this and to be honest the scent it gives off is truly overpowering to the point of being unpleasant imo. I have put it away, probably be binned in the future🙄. I didn't send the reply! I was mesmerized at the sheer amount of clutter on the tables, there was literally nowhere to put your brew! It would blow my Mind living with it all, how many candles does one side table need?? Mind you, in all fairness, it was immaculate. If she's away for five months she's surely in for a major dusting session on her return!!! Still, everyone to their own hey!

I too watched this and couldn't agree more. I did start to type a reply to her, mainly pointing out that she really needs to light said white tree candle ( first one, not latest one) . I too have this and to be honest the scent it gives off is truly overpowering to the point of being unpleasant imo. I have put it away, probably be binned in the future🙄. I didn't send the reply! I was mesmerized at the sheer amount of clutter on the tables, there was literally nowhere to put your brew! It would blow my Mind living with it all, how many candles does one side table need?? Mind you, in all fairness, it was immaculate. If she's away for five months she's surely in for a major dusting session on her return!!! Still, everyone to their own hey!
I must admit that I found that with one of the HS candles from a set I bought a couple of years back. It actually made me feel nauseous. The jars that they came in were beautiful, but even so I was unable to find any practical use for them once the candles had burned, so I put them into the charity donation bag. Going on to the last bit I've highlighted, the Christmas tree containers imo are hideous and would most definitely not something I'd want to hang onto. If I received that as a gift and the candle stunk as well, it would be a double whammy of awfulness. With a bit of luck, come xmas eve when she burns it, she might realise that it's something you'd not even wish on your worst enemy and she'll get her money back on the spare. Personally I don't get the point in buying candles in these huge containers that obviously aren't gonna be in any way useful or decorative in the future - Lesson learned with my HS purchase (despite the containers being beautiful). I'm absolutely loving my prices candles, I'm still burning my first one, it's nearly finished and when it does, the empty glass is going straight in the recycling - boosh!

I must admit that I found that with one of the HS candles from a set I bought a couple of years back. It actually made me feel nauseous. The jars that they came in were beautiful, but even so I was unable to find any practical use for them once the candles had burned, so I put them into the charity donation bag. Going on to the last bit I've highlighted, the Christmas tree containers imo are hideous and would most definitely not something I'd want to hang onto. If I received that as a gift and the candle stunk as well, it would be a double whammy of awfulness. With a bit of luck, come xmas eve when she burns it, she might realise that it's something you'd not even wish on your worst enemy and she'll get her money back on the spare. Personally I don't get the point in buying candles in these huge containers that obviously aren't gonna be in any way useful or decorative in the future - Lesson learned with my HS purchase (despite the containers being beautiful). I'm absolutely loving my prices candles, I'm still burning my first one, it's nearly finished and when it does, the empty glass is going straight in the recycling - boosh!
Yes, I'm done with the massive HS offerings too! I will stick with my once a year Diptyque (present)! To be honest I don't think that even if she thinks it's as overpowering as I do, that she would admit it and return the second one!!

Sorry to keep going on about Hyacinth, but that woman really has got problems! Yes we kinda know that already, but her latest video of yet another Harry Slatkin Christmas tree candle because it’s been reduced to £25 and she paid £39 for hers, and showed it displayed on an extremely cluttered side table, then panned over a larger table that was literally covered with Q’s junk. The new candle is going to live on the floor next to the sofa for over a year so she can give it to someone next Christmas - she needs help clearly yet her spending buddies are just egging her on! I’m so tempted to suggest that she seeks professional help but I know it’ll be badly received . If I could private message her I think I would. How can anyone consider her shopping habits to be normal?
You are right there is a problem, this person is totally unaware of anything it seems other than her obsession with QVC, even items which are clearly faulty like that hideous table are not returned.Isn’t she thinking of painting it over? Neither is she likely to be getting into debt, she obviously just continues throwing money away, the p&p alone would cover the world debt.The thing that gets me & riles me about these silly shoppers is that with all this cost of living crisis and people really struggling we see Hyacinth showing off some stupid tat costing an amount that would feed a family for a week.I myself am not overly concerned about my fuel bills/ food etc. but I sure wouldn’t push the fact ,showing off’ ‘I’m all right Jack’ but neither do I throw money away.

Going on a cruise for 5 months,seems the whole world has to know,would it not be better to quietly go on holiday,so as not to alert criminal types that you are away, obviously not the tatty app has a lot to answer for in brain washing these people.
In general qvc has become part of their Christmas Celebrations it all blurs into one event,and dictates the general feeling of spending money is the only way of being happy and for filled in life.
Heads Up instead of Merry Christmas!
Heads Up this,Heads Up that,see what I’m getting at!
What a life and what a way to live🤣

I've just been on Qurio (had read all your recent comments but hadn't seen the videos myself). Did anyone see the one of Hyacinth with her 'lollipop tree'. A small artificial tree with pine cones and other bits stuck together in a round ball. She complains that she should have got a matching wreath but turns out it was out of stock (lots if emails back and forth about that). The tree is wonky, some of the bits are squashed and the ribbon bow is too high and not even. All this she admits. And this was either £25 or £29 she's not sure. She is not sure whether she can be bothered to queue at the post office etc to send it back! And the tree was on a lovely console table that was again filled with way too much stuff. And, as for the jumpsuit, the only thing I can add that hasn't already been said is the zip at the back that is difficult to undo yourself!

I've just been on Qurio (had read all your recent comments but hadn't seen the videos myself). Did anyone see the one of Hyacinth with her 'lollipop tree'. A small artificial tree with pine cones and other bits stuck together in a round ball. She complains that she should have got a matching wreath but turns out it was out of stock (lots if emails back and forth about that). The tree is wonky, some of the bits are squashed and the ribbon bow is too high and not even. All this she admits. And this was either £25 or £29 she's not sure. She is not sure whether she can be bothered to queue at the post office etc to send it back! And the tree was on a lovely console table that was again filled with way too much stuff. And, as for the jumpsuit, the only thing I can add that hasn't already been said is the zip at the back that is difficult to undo yourself!
She seems to have the belief that:£30 is loose change. She rarely adds p&p to price. She bought the candle because it was reduced, no other reason. She even doesn’t know who she will give the candle to next Christmas. when i choose presents, I think about the person NOT who will I give candle to. I know it is her money she can do what she likes with it but there is still only a limited supply. As you say, hopefully her cruise will help break her habit.

Going on a cruise for 5 months,seems the whole world has to know,would it not be better to quietly go on holiday,so as not to alert criminal types that you are away, obviously not the tatty app has a lot to answer for in brain washing these people.
In general qvc has become part of their Christmas Celebrations it all blurs into one event,and dictates the general feeling of spending money is the only way of being happy and for filled in life.
Heads Up instead of Merry Christmas!
Heads Up this,Heads Up that,see what I’m getting at!
What a life and what a way to live🤣
I don't think some people realise IF you get burgled whilst away the Insurance companies look through all social media. Never post photos etc on Facebook,Twitter,etc while you are away.

I don't think some people realise IF you get burgled whilst away the Insurance companies look through all social media. Never post photos etc on Facebook,Twitter,etc while you are away.
BBC1 has a programme called Claimed and Shamed about insurance fraud. It has stories about people who say they're bedridden etc but when they check social media they find pictures of them doing extreme sports! They also use surveillance methods to gather evidence.

She seems to have the belief that:£30 is loose change. She rarely adds p&p to price. She bought the candle because it was reduced, no other reason. She even doesn’t know who she will give the candle to next Christmas. when i choose presents, I think about the person NOT who will I give candle to. I know it is her money she can do what she likes with it but there is still only a limited supply. As you say, hopefully her cruise will help break her habit.
In July I bought a gift set of Molton Brown shower gels in the sale at a fairly good price. It was a rare expensive impulse buy which I meant to keep for myself. However I immediately realised it would be perfect for a relative for Christmas who would probably appreciate it more than me. And of course if you store things for next Christmas you can never find where you put them! My flat is quite small so there are few places I can store them.

I'd never start buying next year's christmas presents before this year's christmas has even passed, that's ridiculous. I do like to get my christmas shopping done and dusted early, this year I think I was done by the beginning of November (which is early even by my standards) but I think about the person, shop around for good quality and good deals and to me it's bad enough having a load of extra stuff knocking around the house for a couple of months, let alone having it knocking around for over a year, absolutely no!
I don't think I'll ever be able to get my head around those people for whom QVC is their "go to" retailer - They're ridiculously overpriced, even without the ludicrous postage and packaging charges, they're slow, the quality of their home brands ain't all that and they treat their customers like $hite - What's not to love?! Having said all this, it's always worth a look, as there is the occasional gem to be found among all the rubbish - I think they do so well because shopping channels aren't what they used to be, so many have fallen by the wayside, and QVC are one of the only ones left standing. I'm guessing many people think it's their duty not to allow them to go under!

Do cruises last 5 months? I met a couple who went on several round the world cruises but I don’t recall them saying they lasted 5 months.
I've never heard of one lasting that long. The world cruises last up to 99 days at the most I think.
I love cruises but can't imagine being on one for that long.

I finally tried to download the app on my ipad but the apstore couldn't find it.

It may be that my ipad is too old, or the software is, but Apple won't update it any longer.

But I am surprised, I thought that I would be able to find it, although possibly it may not run on my ancient ipad.

Disappointed not to be able to see all the people you talk about

She will probably need to bring an empty suitcase if she's travelling so long, there will be a lot of port stops round the world to spend her money!
I think she's already got about 15 cases packed - full of Kim and Co stuff!! Oh and the sparkly jumpsuit. Outfits themed around ports of call.

She’s proud of her overspending and keeping good’s which are defective,even sending things back,has become a chore.
Cheered on in the comments by people with the same problem,should you feel sympathetic towards these simpletons,the answer is no,you reap what you sow.
Merry Christmas 🎅🏻

She’s proud of her overspending and keeping good’s which are defective,even sending things back,has become a chore.
Cheered on in the comments by people with the same problem,should you feel sympathetic towards these simpletons,the answer is no,you reap what you sow.
Merry Christmas 🎅🏻
I guess that she doesn't see it as overspending. Encouraging others to keep up though is a different matter, but this is why the app exists so one can't really apportion blame to the customer alone. "Heads upping" on the other hand can be and should be vetoed. Whilst I feel sorry for those who are so obviously unfulfilled in life, I agree, I find it hard to muster up any sympathy for what I'd consider to be downright stupidity.

Latest posts

Back