Qurio - a socially interesting documentary!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Tempted to respond with a thank you - but you missed my point, but they clearly think they're doing no wrong and actually care about their customers. I could add that despite their "generous 60 day mbg" is costing customers a lot of extra revenue in p&p and returns and how environmentally unsound all those separate packages are, the stuff they have to discard because it's not fit for re-sale (though that doesn't seem to stop them) I could go on. They're expensive enough as it is without all the extras they charge. To be honest - I'm done, I've said my piece, and unless they get some serious bad press, they will do nothing! (Even then I doubt they'd take serious bad press seriously!). Oh well!

Tempted to respond with a thank you - but you missed my point, but they clearly think they're doing no wrong and actually care about their customers. I could add that despite their "generous 60 day mbg" is costing customers a lot of extra revenue in p&p and returns and how environmentally unsound all those separate packages are, the stuff they have to discard because it's not fit for re-sale (though that doesn't seem to stop them) I could go on. They're expensive enough as it is without all the extras they charge. To be honest - I'm done, I've said my piece, and unless they get some serious bad press, they will do nothing! (Even then I doubt they'd take serious bad press seriously!). Oh well!
Having read the reply while polite and engaging towards you,QVC totally miss the point on shopping addication and the consequences it brings.
Putting the onus firmly on the customers using the app,but no acknowledgement that QVC are the source of addictive behaviour,any community friendliness is complete bs,it is irresponsible not provide information appearing with this app,as a polite warning and help if people feel they need it.
What can you say unless it’s bought out more in public,nothing will change at QVC,this app is a compulsive buyers paradise.

Having read the reply while polite and engaging towards you,QVC totally miss the point on shopping addication and the consequences it brings.
Putting the onus firmly on the customers using the app,but no acknowledgement that QVC are the source of addictive behaviour,any community friendliness is complete bs,it is irresponsible not provide information appearing with this app,as a polite warning and help if people feel they need it.
What can you say unless it’s bought out more in public,nothing will change at QVC,this app is a compulsive buyers paradise.
Thank f**k Qurio wasn't around when I was having my issues with shopping addiction. Actually, I don't think I would have engaged because I was really ashamed of my behaviour and I knew I had to apply the brakes. QVC are saying it is customer choice and of course it is, can't deny that. However, I am damn sure they know that some of these ladies on Qurio are overspending but couldn't give a crap as long as the money comes rolling in. I think the app will be here to stay for as long as it remains relevant to sales figures. I "came out" of the very over crowded closet about my story and hope that others may be helped but this app is a step backwards and wont help addicts but rather encourage / enable them.

We all know this is about selling & profits & that's business However, they've ignored the main point of your email but have to announce that the Q created this for several pointless reasons including the one that real customers could share various aspects of their purchases including unboxings & tutorials. Good grief.

Who needs a tutorial to open a box?? Who wants to watch someone unwrapping some piece of nonsense? Do you think some Qurio people are jealous of the amount others buy and aspire to do the same? It's a dangerous game really that could lead people unable to pay their rent or bills.

If you look at all the QVC items for sale on Ebay (and there's thousands), it's obvious that some people have bought and bought, never worn or used and are trying to recoup some of the cost. A lot of the clothes still have the labels on them.

CC

Who needs a tutorial to open a box?? Who wants to watch someone unwrapping some piece of nonsense? Do you think some Qurio people are jealous of the amount others buy and aspire to do the same? It's a dangerous game really that could lead people unable to pay their rent or bills.

If you look at all the QVC items for sale on Ebay (and there's thousands), it's obvious that some people have bought and bought, never worn or used and are trying to recoup some of the cost. A lot of the clothes still have the labels on them.

CC
To be fair, I think they said unboxings and tutorials - I've seen a fair few unboxings, but no tutorials, but a good few masterclasses in how to waste money! Lola's gutted 'cause she's ordered two jumpsuits, one's unflattering and the other's too small so they're going back, but she said she'd ordered some other clothes as well, and another Lola Rose necklace. The lady's just returned from a holiday where she took a couple of summer jumpsuits, so what does she do for the British winter - she orders another one! maybe she's got another holiday planned, who knows" You could see QVC on in the background. There's another new poster who seems to be trying to outdo everybody - She's posted about £500's worth (not counting p&p) all in one hit. I know totally loopy lou, said she's not comfortable discussing these people and feel that there's a bit of pI$$ taking going on, I do get her point but you've gotta be honest the real Pi$$takers are Q. I'll be honest, although I don't know these people, I genuinely worry for them, even though it's totally none of my business. I suppose everybody's got to find their "happy place" and if receiving parcel after parcel is what it takes - fair enough, but all I can see is addiction and a lot of trouble ahead! I'm thankful that my happy place is sprawled out in front of the tv on my day off, knowing I don't need to go out. I do watch the shopping channels to guffaw at the prices, and take the pi$$ out of Flinty et al (who deserve it)!
If anybody else fancies dropping Q a line about this shameful app - please feel free!

Even if you told Del Boy to her face what you thought of her,it would not register in that tiny brain.
As for Qurio it will not be long before it claims it’s first shopping victim,someone will get an awful shock after Christmas,(paying the credit card bill)the first of quite a few.

4 easy pays coming up get stuck in lovely ladies 🤬
And they will. I thought I bought a huge amount until I'm reading that people order hundreds of pounds worth of things at a time. When you think that many people can't be bothered to send things back because of the cost/journey to the post office then there will be a massive amount of money to be paid back. There's no point putting it on a credit card either and thinking you'll pay it off next year because you don't, you buy more and your minimum payment becomes the same as a mortgage payment.

Time to REALLY assess only what we NEED and keep to buying that. Now I'm off to take my own advice!

CC

4 easy pays coming up get stuck in lovely ladies 🤬
This is gonna put their spending into overdrive! One lady, I'd estimate receives about 5 parcels per week, if she's not up to her eyeballs in credit card debt, then I'd presume she's got a very well paid job, or a money tree growing in the back garden. What baffles me, and I've heard her say this a few times is that she's had her eye on something for ages, and hoped it would become available on EZ pay, and now it is, she's taken the plunge - To me, this is at odds with her general spending habits, maybe she does have some awareness of budgeting, but I'd rather think that it just allows her to buy a little bit more every month!

And they will. I thought I bought a huge amount until I'm reading that people order hundreds of pounds worth of things at a time. When you think that many people can't be bothered to send things back because of the cost/journey to the post office then there will be a massive amount of money to be paid back. There's no point putting it on a credit card either and thinking you'll pay it off next year because you don't, you buy more and your minimum payment becomes the same as a mortgage payment.

Time to REALLY assess only what we NEED and keep to buying that. Now I'm off to take my own advice!

CC
This has given me food for thought, and it's pretty obvious really. When Q launched the app they must've known that the addicts would flock as well as attracting many less extreme spenders. The latter, who possibly may have considered that they're spending a little too much with Q would only have to be on that app for a few minutes to believe that they haven't got a problem at all. I'm pretty sure that this has brought on the attitude of "sod it, I'll buy that top I wasn't gonna buy", it's only £30 - which is nothing compared with how much some of these people are spending - Times this by the amount of customers who are prompted to do this, Q are laughing all the way to the bank! I'm not saying that everyone will end up in the extreme bracket, but I'm sure some will do!

I think there are many of us here who will admit to buying too much even those who could afford to do so.

For most, myself included, it was back in the day when there was actually stuff you wanted and buying on line was not a big thing but what all these people are finding to buy now is beyond me. At the rate they are purchasing they must surely have exhausted Q’s entire stocks as it’s Groundhog Day same old same old.

Even if they offered 22 EP I would be hard pushed to find something. I buy the odd Eek, usually clearance, and that’s it and that doesn’t need EP.

I think there are many of us here who will admit to buying too much even those who could afford to do so.

For most, myself included, it was back in the day when there was actually stuff you wanted and buying on line was not a big thing but what all these people are finding to buy now is beyond me. At the rate they are purchasing they must surely have exhausted Q’s entire stocks as it’s Groundhog Day same old same old.

Even if they offered 22 EP I would be hard pushed to find something. I buy the odd Eek, usually clearance, and that’s it and that doesn’t need EP.
You and me both. I find it hard to think of something I need or like when someone asks me what I want for christmas. I've got everything I need within the realms of what I can afford and what's realistic - For instance I'd love to get one of those baths with a built in jacuzzi, but that's out of my price range, new kitchen cupboard doors (as you probably know) again I can't afford to get it done, the place could do with redecorating, could be done room by room I guess but being in an fairly small upstairs flat moving furniture is tricky. I've got a computer/tablet/alexa etc etc, multiple tv's, a streaming stick, Iphone, numerous coffee making solutions, a nice wardrobe of clothes, make up, footwear, a decent handbag - I could ramble on like this forever - What I'm saying there is NOTHING that I really need - so all the bits and bobs on Q do not excite me in the least. I get more pleasure from decluttering than accumulating these days.
About 20 years ago, yes - I had to have a George Foreman grill, a coffee maker, a gravity walker etc - got all that now! I find it hard to believe that these people are buying anything "new" (and I'm not talking about grubby returns) - They're on a mission to buy more stuff whatever the cost!

There will, I hope, be some who join this latest social media abomination and have a revelation that stops their crazy buying habits in their tracks.
My view now is that if I want something, and can afford to pay for it RIGHT NOW, I can buy it...as long as I can also identify something that can go.
Living in a flat you have more limited storage: no roof space, basement, garage or garden shed. I have enough clutter already and I neither want nor need any more.
I hope some of the Qurio mob are using returns, selling off stuff on ebay, vinted or whatever other app, and are regularly decluttering... otherwise, they may soon be on another hoarding programme on TV!

Last edited:
A friend and I are having a chat a few months back. We were discussing needing and wanting which are two very different things I need a new pair of shoes as mine are done, coat whatever clothing does not really exist today. No, it has been replaced with I WANT! We agreed and most of the things we buy are I want not I need it.

You require, shelter, food, warmth, clothes, cooker, fridge, a bed, somewhere to sit. You want endless electronics, beauty items, clothes shoes, handbags, jewellery. It is the way our brains have been rewired over recent years into the cult of I want this or that. Places like QVC have made it so much easier to buy with easy pay and the other Klama etc who are now on most websites to split payments on what you buy.

I have got to the stage that I don’t need anything other than finding someone to do work at the house (like hens teeth - in the next life I’m coming back as a trades person) and I want even less.

I don’t know if it’s age, fed up with covid but I’m turning into my mother by saying “it will do me my day” . As with most i probably bought stuff when I was feeling down to get that lift but I find now that there is no feeling of excitement anticipating something arriving so I don’t even bother.

I’m fully aware this is First world problem.

I order very little on QVC now, 1 items I am waiting for, my usual Foundation with new brush and that was the best price for the 2 items including p&p.They are never impulse buys and I can easily afford.Now I am retired any card is cleared every month and have spare money to cover anything, just had some decorating done and ordered fence panels which were blown out during the recent storms.QVC really play on this ‘community’ stance which I think these people who buy and post continually on Qurio see themselves talking to friends and even think their feedback is useful and important! Who really would post pictures of themselves on holiday just because they were wearing something they bought from QVC! Same with the presenter blogs and ‘we are all in this together’ messages through lockdowns.Certainly many are drawn in by this.

Latest posts

Back