Qurio - a socially interesting documentary!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

merryone

Registered Shopper
Last night I had Q humming away quietly in the background as I sometimes do and the Qurio ad came up. Out of curiosity..or should I say Quriosity, I downloaded the app. The reviewers are almost exclusively female, most of the reviews are favourable, but there are a good few disappointments. From the snapshot I've seen so far I can see how Q is staying in business. There's one particular lady who appears to spend every single penny that comes her way on Q fashion, she has umpteen reviews. When you bear in mind that the reviewers aren't showing retrospective purchases because all of the items reviewed are available, you shudder to think how much money they're throwing Q's way!
One fairly prolific lady has posted a few things she's not sure about and asking opinion. One's a dress that she's clearly not blown away by. She likes that it hides her tummy, but clearly thinks it makes her look frumpy. It was a particularly frumpy dress, she said she was 35 and thought it might be too old for her. She mentioned that she'd not seen it on screen -so obviously spends her time trawling Q's website desperately trying to find things to spend her money on! In all her reviews she covers her entire face with her phone so you can't actually see whether anything suits her or not. Comments are mixed, but a lot point her in the wrong direction imo! This poster has received a pair of footbed sandals that had clearly been worn by someone else, and all she could say is that she's disappointed with Q and that it was unacceptable. Now that would've stopped me buying from them full stop. A jumpsuit that was massively too big, and a Ruth Langsford dress that made her look lumpy and had a belt that wouldn't fasten properly. That she said was gonna be a return, the jumpsuit she's gonna re order in a smaller size. Then she displayed 2 "pages" of her "Lola Rose" collection which I'd estimate would have cost her about a grand. One of her reviews showed a clear/lilac bracelet she'd bought to go with a similar necklace, it was nothing like the picture on screen it was opaque and bright pink. Oooh shall I keep it? it's not what I expected or wanted, but I quite like it, even though I don't really like pink ....there is no hope!
So folks, next time we say "who the hell is buying this sh*te"? Here's your answer!
I know it's a bit naughty to be judgemental, but from the looks of some of these reviews, people would be better off putting their money towards new carpets/home furnishings - and by that I don't mean bits and bobs from Alison Cork/Bundleberry/Cozee home etc!

You can't help wondering if what some Q supershoppers really need is a better social life and hobbies. This level of excess points to other things being an issue. I think many of us can attest to that: our Q spending was worse when going through personal crises. I know mine did.

You can't help wondering if what some Q supershoppers really need is a better social life and hobbies. This level of excess points to other things being an issue. I think many of us can attest to that: our Q spending was worse when going through personal crises. I know mine did.
I agree completely - One lady had a young child running around in the background on a couple of her reviews, but she was clearly more interested in showing off her latest bit of Qvc tat! The biggest worry on this is that this cross section of reviewers on this app don't even represent one of their biggest demographics - The elderly and vulnerable. This is quite scary. I know you can't blame Q for all the money people spend online...but this sort of thing creates/reinforces that "club atomosphere"/ fake friendship, and encourages "competition" - not a good thing!

Last night I had Q humming away quietly in the background as I sometimes do and the Qurio ad came up. Out of curiosity..or should I say Quriosity, I downloaded the app. The reviewers are almost exclusively female, most of the reviews are favourable, but there are a good few disappointments. From the snapshot I've seen so far I can see how Q is staying in business. There's one particular lady who appears to spend every single penny that comes her way on Q fashion, she has umpteen reviews. When you bear in mind that the reviewers aren't showing retrospective purchases because all of the items reviewed are available, you shudder to think how much money they're throwing Q's way!
One fairly prolific lady has posted a few things she's not sure about and asking opinion. One's a dress that she's clearly not blown away by. She likes that it hides her tummy, but clearly thinks it makes her look frumpy. It was a particularly frumpy dress, she said she was 35 and thought it might be too old for her. She mentioned that she'd not seen it on screen -so obviously spends her time trawling Q's website desperately trying to find things to spend her money on! In all her reviews she covers her entire face with her phone so you can't actually see whether anything suits her or not. Comments are mixed, but a lot point her in the wrong direction imo! This poster has received a pair of footbed sandals that had clearly been worn by someone else, and all she could say is that she's disappointed with Q and that it was unacceptable. Now that would've stopped me buying from them full stop. A jumpsuit that was massively too big, and a Ruth Langsford dress that made her look lumpy and had a belt that wouldn't fasten properly. That she said was gonna be a return, the jumpsuit she's gonna re order in a smaller size. Then she displayed 2 "pages" of her "Lola Rose" collection which I'd estimate would have cost her about a grand. One of her reviews showed a clear/lilac bracelet she'd bought to go with a similar necklace, it was nothing like the picture on screen it was opaque and bright pink. Oooh shall I keep it? it's not what I expected or wanted, but I quite like it, even though I don't really like pink ....there is no hope!
So folks, next time we say "who the hell is buying this sh*te"? Here's your answer!
I know it's a bit naughty to be judgemental, but from the looks of some of these reviews, people would be better off putting their money towards new carpets/home furnishings - and by that I don't mean bits and bobs from Alison Cork/Bundleberry/Cozee home etc!
Their is no hope either plain stupid,or to much time and 💴 money.
You despair at some people😢

Their is no hope either plain stupid,or to much time and 💴 money.
You despair at some people😢
The stupidity stems more from what they're prepared to put up with as opposed to what they're buying. The money they're prepared to spend on nothing when an order doesn't work out, or the items they decide to keep even when they're not entirely happy with them, amazes me! If I bought something from an online retailer which despite seeing the demo, buying the correct size and found that it was different/didn't fit properly, there's no way I'd be prepared to lose money and spend even more money in order to get what I actually wanted! Lesson well and truly learned - I'd shop elsewhere in future. These idiots come back time and time again, and what's more, they're ****** proud of it!
Qurio is a proper money spinner and requires little or no effort on their part - Let the sycophantic idiots, breed more sycophantic idiots - Kerr-ching!

The first thing that annoyed me was the lenght of time for delivery. Back in the day it was never less than a week and mostly 10 -14 days despite the 3-5 days mantra.

Add to this the post charge and I was falling out of love.

New presenters, the start of the bin lids and I was looking for a divorce.

Poor quality and Groundhog Day and I had moved on to newer and better loves

Now they are like an ex you see now and again and realise there is the very very odd thing which is ok.

Of ourse mutual friends (this forum) remain through thick and thin.

I've said for a long time about Q needing a health warning. This forum is about the safest place to have Q opinions. I know I spend considerably less since reading here more than Q groups.

I just feel very sad when I think of the harm done by so much shopping. 😭

The times we live in, Q could be championing locally made items, with a lower carbon footprint. They could be championing cruelty free beauty. They could be promoting sustainable clothing made from recyclable materials.
They could be a force for change for the better. But no.
Shipping from China got massively more expensive as the shipping containers are more scarce and the cost of using one has skyrocketed. Their adherence to what they've always done is going to cost them dearly.
In the meantime, too many misguided people are going to prop them up by accepting outrageous prices and poor service for unremarkable goods.

A lot will be bought and kept because someone can’t be bothered with the faff and these days the expense of returning.I have done that in the past but then have returned more, now I only order if I know I will keep and have factored the P&P into the overall price.Don’t watch any presentations, or very few and am not drawn in to buy.With the ease of internet buying with free p&p and often returns these days I am surprised they keep going, but then the range of products is diminished hence continual groundhog day.

QVC reducing the amount of packaging they use would be better for the climate. The last thing I ordered which was small, came in a plastic bag inside a cardboard box and packed inside a QVC bag. Only the box could be recycled. 😳

I agree completely - One lady had a young child running around in the background on a couple of her reviews, but she was clearly more interested in showing off her latest bit of Qvc tat! The biggest worry on this is that this cross section of reviewers on this app don't even represent one of their biggest demographics - The elderly and vulnerable. This is quite scary. I know you can't blame Q for all the money people spend online...but this sort of thing creates/reinforces that "club atomosphere"/ fake friendship, and encourages "competition" - not a good thing!
Very interesting post, Merryone. Would you explain more about 'QVC's biggest demographic - the elderly and the vulnerable'?

I've said for a long time about Q needing a health warning. This forum is about the safest place to have Q opinions. I know I spend considerably less since reading here more than Q groups.

I just feel very sad when I think of the harm done by so much shopping. 😭
Some people consider shopping to be a hobby. Not necessarily from the TV but traipsing around the department stores. I can't understand it myself since they will spend hours 'just looking'.

Very interesting post, Merryone. Would you explain more about 'QVC's biggest demographic - the elderly and the vulnerable'?
I didn't word that quite right as that's not their demographic, I believe that could be the 40+ woman with plenty of money to spend. There are a lot of people who watch and buy for company, some buy things they don't even want, some don't even bother to open the boxes. I think this problem is bigger than we think. Agree or disagree - I think we've discussed this topic before. The bottom line is that I think Qurio is another eye opener and not necessarily a good thing, for the reasons I stated earlier. I guess it can be useful as well.

I didn't word that quite right as that's not their demographic, I believe that could be the 40+ woman with plenty of money to spend. There are a lot of people who watch and buy for company, some buy things they don't even want, some don't even bother to open the boxes. I think this problem is bigger than we think. Agree or disagree - I think we've discussed this topic before. The bottom line is that I think Qurio is another eye opener and not necessarily a good thing, for the reasons I stated earlier. I guess it can be useful as well.
Whenever I read at the bottom of the screen that someone admits to owning 80 plus Cosee Home sheet sets, I agree that there could be a big problem for some customers

If I knew someone who had a shopping addiction, was maxing out on credit cards & got pulled in to the QVC Family twaddle I would hope they could get help & deal with the situation. However, I can't feel anything for hypothetical customers who buy because they're bored, lonely or hypnotised by cheesy marketing. We have no idea whether such people can be counted in tens, hundreds or thousands; when I was a customer I only knew of one other, my sister, & she only bought four items! My greatest concerns about the Q are the amount of tat it imports from China, the mountain of plastic packaging it uses & the products it sells that involve cruelty to animals.

Latest posts

Back