Qurio - a socially interesting documentary!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Merry, you're so right, I love receiving a parcel, always have, however, I know myself & it's been a long time since I was dazzled by the Q. Reading the subliminal language used on the Qurio page is quite sobering, the use of certain adjectives, telling customers that they're experts & will be part of a community creates a huge hook to pull people in & reminds me of the online bingo adverts showing a party - fake, fake, fake. The words 'Find hidden gems you never knew you needed and shop from QVC' must be hypnotic 😵‍💫

So right Merryone! We have, well many have engaged in shopping practices in the past which have been fairly short term fixes to getting us through problem times.The difference is awareness and the realisation that ‘I am not behaving normally’ oops better do something about it. In fact the postings on Qurio put me would put me off spending with the thought ‘ I am not joining that group’!

The sock lady has just posted 3 pairs of moda trainers that she's just bought @ £99.50 & £4.95 p&p, that's £313.35 - she's happy with them 'cause they fit and are comfortable. I've really gotta stop checking these reviews out - She says she's happy with them but she sounds far from happy. I only hope that she's got plenty of money and can actually afford the bliddy things. I know people are prepared to spend silly money on trainers but I've yet to meet anyone to buy 3 pairs at once . Again I apologise if this sounds nasty, 'cause I don't mean to be, but imo this is NOT normal behaviour. QVC should not be encouraging this sort of thing with their app!
I wonder whether she's taken the reins from "Lola" whilst she's on holiday!

I'm very good at resisting now even when I think "oh that would be nice". I try to buy only things that are going to be used a lot. No point buying clothes unless they are "sensible" as I don't go anywhere any more, same with jewellery. Blankets? I could open a market stall with them. I've recently bought a few Christmas presents and a couple of (pretty pricey) items for the kitchen, however, the mixer has made life so much easier for me in replacing a wooden spoon and I bought that Ninja cooker (which hasn't arrived this week as it was supposed to) which will be used every day. I no longer buy things to stockpile or just hang in the wardrobe.

The ladies on Qurio need to be careful as "just" another £40 turns into £140 and then £1400 and you struggle to pay it off, especially when you've got a lot of easy pays all coming out of the bank at once.

CC

This wasn’t on Qurio, but was posted on FB a short while ago. I think she’s spot on! I wonder if the Qurio bunch agree. 😉

Attachments

• 5B7EEA0B-6605-47A9-AFFA-EE82DC2EA362.jpeg
    5B7EEA0B-6605-47A9-AFFA-EE82DC2EA362.jpeg
    27.5 KB · Views: 150
I think the FB poster was meaning that QVC is like Groundhog Day with the same things being shown all the time, rather than the fact that Abby was back on screen very quickly … unless I’ve misunderstood her. 😳 I agree with her though. Whenever I flick onto the channel Abby is on screen flogging something or Maria Wynne is being featured.

It really has turned into a “yawn fest” and it’s saved me loads of money. 👍

Don't get me wrong, I find customer reviews extremely useful, but prefer to read them as opposed to watching a shaky video on someone's mobile phone. Though they're worth watching for the comedy/shock value alone. Qurio is so damned random, so pretty unlikely that you'll find a review for something you were actually thinking of buying. If the review is for a tsv, then you've missed the boat, an item in clearance, then there's a high chance that they haven't got it in your size, preferred colour etc and above all there's a pretty high chance what you'll receive isn't in pristine condition. Stick to the sales (elsewhere) - that's what I say!
Going to back to the scary question of debt - thinking again about the lady who spent in excess of £300 for 3 pairs of trainers - This is the amount I spent on my entire Christmas present list fgs and it's not crap I've bought, far from it! At this time of the year, I most certainly haven't got enough money to buy gifts for myself. I am not forgetting that there are many folk who aren't fortunate enough to have people to buy gifts for, so treat yourself - why not? but I would imagine there's a fair number on there who've still got Christmas gifts to think about buying . Hopefully, they've asked santa for money, 'cause they're sure as hell gonna need it come the credit card/ winter fuel bills come in. A Cozee Home blanket can only keep you so warm!!
Who is Qurio for? = The answer is quite simply Q. These video reviews just encourage those with frightening shopping habits to spend even more of their time on their addiction. The reviews on the whole aren't particularly useful . How can seeing one person slapping cosmetics and skincare onto their faces when they're not likely to have the same skin type/skin tone as yourself be of any help? Or a lady who's of a completely different height and body shape as yourself standing in front of a mirror wearing a not altogether pleasant looking sheet of polyester? At least the on screen presentations show a variety of models and the ba's know what they're talking about (most of the time).
This is silly season at the best of times and I reckon Qurio should come with a "health warning"!

We all like to treat ourselves. BUT! I might be mad, but I make sure my bills are up-to-date.

At the moment, I am just F*cking Pissed off with the endless Black Friday emails from websites. I get paid next week, but I have no interest in buying anyway. Whether it is because of COVID etc, I just have no interest. People are rushing to buy buy buy! The endless Xmas mania the ads etc. But people get caught up and the gas/electric bills keep rising the power companies going under. Come January the credit card bills will be coming and the sh*t will really hit the fan.

Then QVC and the qurio brainwashed all things QVC are wonderful, enabling them. Recklessly encouraging them to buy more.

Like you Donna I don’t seem to have much interest in purchasing things.

I’m not into Christmas anyway but it’s even less this year. The few presents I buy I’ve already ordered ready to be despatched directly so I don’t even have to wrap them and send them off again.

Ive never really bought into the Black Friday thing. If I want a big ticket item I want exactly what I want not something just because it has a discount as I’d never be satisfied. Some things it doesn’t matter about brands but expensive items and food are the two I stick to what I know and want or do without.

Black Friday belongs in the US; Thanksgiving is the start of America's Holiday Season & the next day (BF) kicks off the Christmas shopping season. Along with Halloween it's an import I can do without. I love everything about Christmas & get all my shopping done by the end of October & this year there's only one that was bought in a shop.

Black Friday, is there anything I am desperate for? No. Thought this and that is @% less but no not now thanks! Christmas I keep my head down, don’t want to spoil anyone else’s fun but not the best time of the year for me. I am doing a few meals out but no family to gather, so look forward to January and what the next year brings, hopefully travel? Make the best of what you have, no family, relax do what you want no worries!

Thankfully, one of my son’s Xmas presents from Amazon that was due for delivery today, from one of the affected depots, arrived safely. The extinction rebellion lot and the insulate Britain prunes should all be arrested as soon as they arrive on the roads or outside depots, instead of the police pussyfooting about. On the news this morning, they mentioned the fact that the protesters had been out all night in the bitter cold.

Well, TOUGH!!

I adore Christmas and getting together with as many of my family as possible. Difficult, being of Swedish and Irish families as they live abroad. I like to stay home, not venture out a lot but I try to see my 2 girls. I am a nurse and have always worked the major days over the Christmas period for most of my life. However, I do not see that we all have to spend to excess to enjoy the season and we don't, we keep it simple. Even when the girls were little, we never went to town over indulging them, I think it makes for spoiled, entitled brats.

Essay alert!

However, as for my spending habits, well, that is a sad story! About 10 years ago, no idea why, nothing major happened to me in my life but I developed a shopping addiction / bad habit. I bought an awful lot of stuff from QVC and other outlets besides. Much of it crap! I kidded myself that I would enjoy making cards and crafting as a new hobby and I really went stupid, buying a ton of stuff. To this day, I have 5 very large plastic storage boxes (the ones the size of a 5 year old) and they are full of this shite, much of it unused. I spent a fortune and needless to say, it 'aint worth jack. One day, I may sell it on ebay but more likely I will give it to charity as I am sick of looking at it. I wanted to dump it all last year but the charity shops here were not able to receive donations, understandably due to Covid.

So, quite apart from the impact on my home being full of clutter, there is the more serious impact on my finances. I was buying so much stuff across the board, craft, clothes, jewellery, homewares etc... I got myself into a pickle. Credit cards, overdrawn at the bank, easy pays (not so easy in fact, especially when you have a lot and they start to bounce). I was previously a sensible and financially responsible woman but I totally lost control, so I know that it is really very easy to do. I work, I am a nurse, not bad money but I was spending 2 - 2.5 x my salary and obviously, that isn't sustainable. I am so lucky that I have a brilliant husband, he paid the mortgage (halleluia that is done now), so there was really no excuse for my mad spending. He says he was enabling me and I think he was right. I ordered so many things, packages were arriving daily, building up unopened for weeks. The postman used to comment on the number of parcels and my name was known as a regular at the main sorting office. If I had to collect carded item, they knew me and my husband by sight. I was ashamed and embarrassed at my behaviour.

I had to get a grip because I couldn't sustain a spending habit like that. It took me about 18 months to get my finances in order and I did a lot of overtime I started to see items I was tempted by and thought "how many hours would I have to work to pay for this?" Quite sobering! I couldn't stop spending cold turkey, I tried at least 3 times and failed. So, I began to budget for what I could spend each month and had to factor in a fair amount to pay off the debt I had run up. Thank f**k, it was a success! I paid off the debt mountain and now I have savings, yippee!!

Yes, I still watch selly telly because I enjoy it. However, I rarely buy now. A little from QVC, 5 items this year and absolutely never use easy pay. If I can't afford it in full, I don't buy it Never buy from Ideal World and Gemporia are a bunch of shisters I would never send another penny in their direction (or any of their sister channels) Can't abide Steve Bennett, disengenuous to say the very least :-(

I wanted to share this long and embarrassing story because I know I was not alone in my problem and that there are other people out there who are caught up in this horrible predicament. It is self-made, I would as never dispute that but it is an addiction. I hope anyone who is going through hell because of their addiction can get a grip, self help, counselling, whatever it takes. Quiro is feeding ego's, both the posters and QVC's, as well as actively encouraging irresponsible financial behaviour . We don't need to buy crap to impress people we don't know or care about! I do laugh at Qurio but behind the smile a little voice is saying "hang on, this is so wrong".

Sorry this was a mega post, it did take a bit of courage but I hope it may reach out to someone, even one person.

Ballerina xx

I adore Christmas and getting together with as many of my family as possible. Difficult, being of Swedish and Irish families as they live abroad. I like to stay home, not venture out a lot but I try to see my 2 girls. I am a nurse and have always worked the major days over the Christmas period for most of my life. However, I do not see that we all have to spend to excess to enjoy the season and we don't, we keep it simple. Even when the girls were little, we never went to town over indulging them, I think it makes for spoiled, entitled brats.

Essay alert!

However, as for my spending habits, well, that is a sad story! About 10 years ago, no idea why, nothing major happened to me in my life but I developed a shopping addiction / bad habit. I bought an awful lot of stuff from QVC and other outlets besides. Much of it crap! I kidded myself that I would enjoy making cards and crafting as a new hobby and I really went stupid, buying a ton of stuff. To this day, I have 5 very large plastic storage boxes (the ones the size of a 5 year old) and they are full of this shite, much of it unused. I spent a fortune and needless to say, it 'aint worth jack. One day, I may sell it on ebay but more likely I will give it to charity as I am sick of looking at it. I wanted to dump it all last year but the charity shops here were not able to receive donations, understandably due to Covid.

So, quite apart from the impact on my home being full of clutter, there is the more serious impact on my finances. I was buying so much stuff across the board, craft, clothes, jewellery, homewares etc... I got myself into a pickle. Credit cards, overdrawn at the bank, easy pays (not so easy in fact, especially when you have a lot and they start to bounce). I was previously a sensible and financially responsible woman but I totally lost control, so I know that it is really very easy to do. I work, I am a nurse, not bad money but I was spending 2 - 2.5 x my salary and obviously, that isn't sustainable. I am so lucky that I have a brilliant husband, he paid the mortgage (halleluia that is done now), so there was really no excuse for my mad spending. He says he was enabling me and I think he was right. I ordered so many things, packages were arriving daily, building up unopened for weeks. The postman used to comment on the number of parcels and my name was known as a regular at the main sorting office. If I had to collect carded item, they knew me and my husband by sight. I was ashamed and embarrassed at my behaviour.

I had to get a grip because I couldn't sustain a spending habit like that. It took me about 18 months to get my finances in order and I did a lot of overtime I started to see items I was tempted by and thought "how many hours would I have to work to pay for this?" Quite sobering! I couldn't stop spending cold turkey, I tried at least 3 times and failed. So, I began to budget for what I could spend each month and had to factor in a fair amount to pay off the debt I had run up. Thank f**k, it was a success! I paid off the debt mountain and now I have savings, yippee!!

Yes, I still watch selly telly because I enjoy it. However, I rarely buy now. A little from QVC, 5 items this year and absolutely never use easy pay. If I can't afford it in full, I don't buy it Never buy from Ideal World and Gemporia are a bunch of shisters I would never send another penny in their direction (or any of their sister channels) Can't abide Steve Bennett, disengenuous to say the very least :-(

I wanted to share this long and embarrassing story because I know I was not alone in my problem and that there are other people out there who are caught up in this horrible predicament. It is self-made, I would as never dispute that but it is an addiction. I hope anyone who is going through hell because of their addiction can get a grip, self help, counselling, whatever it takes. Quiro is feeding ego's, both the posters and QVC's, as well as actively encouraging irresponsible financial behaviour . We don't need to buy crap to impress people we don't know or care about! I do laugh at Qurio but behind the smile a little voice is saying "hang on, this is so wrong".

Sorry this was a mega post, it did take a bit of courage but I hope it may reach out to someone, even one person.

Ballerina xx
Your story is not embarrassing just incredibly brave & honest. There will be many organisations that will welcome your stash of craft items & the amount of space you'll regain will be fabulous. I'm delighted that you came through that awful time 💐

Thanks for your post, ballerina, and for sharing it with us. I’m glad that things are sorted for you now.

Thankfully I have never been in that situation. I have had a credit card for ten years, but have never used it. 😳 I’ve never bought anything on EZPay because, if I can’t afford to pay for it in one go, then I don’t need/want it. Mum drummed that “message” into me when Higher Purchase was all the rage. My parents never had anything on HP and I’ve followed their example. Thankfully, I’ve never been in the red, or anywhere near it, in any of my bank accounts and so their wise words have done me a favour.

Sadly though, many people do run into financial trouble which is sometimes due to unfortunate circumstances (redundancy, illness etc) but some do so because they can’t resist the EZPays or similar. Maybe QVC should restrict the number of times someone can use EZPay … i.e. wait until they’ve paid off the items before purchasing anything else. They’re just helping to make things worse, IMO.

Thanks for your post, ballerina, and for sharing it with us. I’m glad that things are sorted for you now.

Thankfully I have never been in that situation. I have had a credit card for ten years, but have never used it. 😳 I’ve never bought anything on EZPay because, if I can’t afford to pay for it in one go, then I don’t need/want it. Mum drummed that “message” into me when Higher Purchase was all the rage. My parents never had anything on HP and I’ve followed their example. Thankfully, I’ve never been in the red, or anywhere near it, in any of my bank accounts and so their wise words have done me a favour.

Sadly though, many people do run into financial trouble which is sometimes due to unfortunate circumstances (redundancy, illness etc) but some do so because they can’t resist the EZPays or similar. Maybe QVC should restrict the number of times someone can use EZPay … i.e. wait until they’ve paid off the items before purchasing anything else. They’re just helping to make things worse, IMO.

Latest posts

Back