Qurio - a socially interesting documentary!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Thanks for your response, I'm nosey.

I love cozee home, what was the item number for your advanced order? Fleece or velvetsoft? Xx
Hi there,

It is velvetsoft Item number 813926 in the champagne colour. Nice to hear you like the brand, hope we like it, To be honest, my husband could sleep in sandpaper, he is not a bedding snob :)

I used to do quite a lot of brickwork, so to make it easier I bought a "Brickie" from IW but have never needed to do any brickwork since buying it, so it kis still in its box.

I also did crafts, so I also bought a very versatile cutting machine that could make all sorts of cuts (also from IW I think) and have never used it! And it was quite expensive too.

Credit cards are so easy to buy things with, but even though I've had one since they first came out (remember ACCESS?) I've ALWAYS paid them off on time so never had to pay any interest.
Sounds so familiar, the unused crafting and other items I was absolutely going to use but.... didn't.

I got my 1st credit card in 1985. I started student nurse training at 18 years old (and 2 days!), went into Barclays to open a proper bank account, just had Post Office savings until then. Got a current account and savings account, the latter never had anything in it. They also offered me a Barclaycard and when it arrived, it had a limit of £500. Bear in mind that in 1985, a 1st year student nurse was paid £1700 ayear, 2nd year was £1800 and the final year you hit the big time of £1800. Out of that you paid £40 p/m for your room in the nurses home, £20 for laundry and you had to feed and clothe yourself. That was when I discovered charity shops, cast-offs and swaps from other girls. I never used the card because I was smart enough to work out I was broke and couldn't pay it back! I met paul when I was a student as was he and we married 8 months before we qualified. We had to be really frugal. I had to leave the nurses home and we lived in a room in the university student village, we were the first couple they had ever had that were married. Once we were working (not saying student nurses don't work, I worked bloomin' hard!), we earned more and life just got better and money was easier. Like I said in a previous post, I was always good with my money and I don't know why I let go of the reins. I wasn't depressed, lonely, no family crisis, great marriage but I just started spending. It can happen to anyone I suppose.

Ballerina x

Yes, I agree with you 100%. It is a sweet feeling to be able to buy what you want and have treats as well. Just like the dress that is your old friend. We should have fun with our money, we can't take it with us, not even in travelllers cheques I am sad to say. Getting treats is good for our mental health, dopamine levels rise and you feel happy. Bliddy dopamine, it's what gets you hooked on feeling happy but it's temporary. Addictions like shopping, gambling, sex, why the hell wasn't I addicted to that? LOL

I admit that I still have a lot of un-needed crap that I was tempted into believing I needed or even "derserved" as I was told by the tat peddlers. It's their job and I had a choice but I know I made the wrong choices. Not just QVC but them along with Gemstv / Gemporia and whatever they will be called next were my main fixes.

The Bennett family have had a small fortune out of me. Not saying it is all crap. I have some lovely pieces (so far no stones have fallen out!) but I have got close on 200 items that I don't wear, don't really see what I liked about them in the first place. Paul tells me to have a clearout, we don't need the cash but he knows it makes me angry at myself when I even look at it all. I keep it in a seperate jewellery box now to avoid pi$$ing myself off> Kind of funny in a way but still. To be honest, a lot of it is not high value but I wouldn't want to ebay it because I only sell decent stuff and wouldn't even try to pass this off as decent quality. He says just make up lucky bags and distribute them around charity shops, somebody will want them and it does a bit of good locally. I think that's what I will do, I want it out of my life, like the craft stuff and clothes I wouldn't wear in a hundred years. I feel like I have had some of them that long LOL

I personally suspect many of the fawning customers posting on Qurio are racking up debts, sooner or later, you gotta pay up and let's hope that they can pay, I really mean that. Like you say, £40 here £60 there +++++ easy pays. At some point it isn't so easy and you are buying groceries on credit because there is no money in the bank. If anybody reads this and wants to mail me privately, please don't be shy, even if just to offload. This is a great community because we all like shopping on here, me included!

Ballerina x
This is a great idea. As others have said you're a brave girl for sharing your story x

if my lovely man dropped off the twig tomorrow (I see it all the time as I am an ITU nurse and life is cruel), I would be up **** creek without a paddle because it isn't my card. So, good to have a flexible friend as Stratto says Access, just in case. x
A friend I have met in real life, but we now keep in touch on FB, thought she had come completely downstairs, but was still on the bottom step; I've done that too.

So she fell and broke her hip, and ended up in hospital.

About a week ago she posted this on FB (from hospital)

SAYING from Mags 233563846_45623.jpg

Today, she posted this - - - - -

I have very bad news. My treasured husband xxxxxx had a catastrophic bleed on the brain on Monday and passed away on Weds. We were on a What's App video call together when it happened. I was still in hospital following my hip operation.

Neighbours broke in and got to him, one a nurse and another a GP. Nothing could be done for him. An ambulance took him to xxxxxxxxx hospital and he died at 9.00pm on Wednesday evening. My son xxxxx and I are devastated but numb ... it's so hard to take in.

I'm home now and xxxxx is looking after me. I'm in a lot of pain still but I'll get there with his love and support. Thanks for the lovely messages from those who already know.

A friend I have met in real life, but we now keep in touch on FB, thought she had come completely downstairs, but was still on the bottom step; I've done that too.

View attachment 22681

I have very bad news. My treasured husband xxxxxx had a catastrophic bleed on the brain on Monday and passed away on Weds. We were on a What's App video call together when it happened. I was still in hospital following my hip operation.

Neighbours broke in and got to him, one a nurse and another a GP. Nothing could be done for him. An ambulance took him to xxxxxxxxx hospital and he died at 9.00pm on Wednesday evening. My son xxxxx and I are devastated but numb ... it's so hard to take in.

I'm home now and xxxxx is looking after me. I'm in a lot of pain still but I'll get there with his love and support. Thanks for the lovely messages from those who already know.
Stratobuddy,

I am so sorry for your friend, her family and for you losing a friend.

She is right, tell your loved ones that you love them, we none of us know when it may no longer be possible to do so.

Ballerina xx

Stratobuddy,

I am so sorry for your friend, her family and for you losing a friend.

She is right, tell your loved ones that you love them, we none of us know when it may no longer be possible to do so.

Ballerina xx
Thanks. She was not a close friend, but we had met several times at music events, and kept in touch since then on FB (also OH did, and it has hit her hard).

In fact, 3 other people we knew after meeting them at the same music events have also died :( But we were all "of an age". 2 of the men we met are being treated for prostrate cancer as well.

We were in touch with all of them on FB nearly every day, with photos etc.

When we are not together, OH and I ring each other several times every day, and especially first thing in the morning, to "make sure we are both still alive".

Thanks. She was not a close friend, but we had met several times at music events, and kept in touch since then on FB (also OH did, and it has hit her hard).

In fact, 3 other people we knew after meeting them at the same music events have also died :( But we were all "of an age". 2 of the men we met are being treated for prostrate cancer as well.

We were in touch with all of them on FB nearly every day, with photos etc.

When we are not together, OH and I ring each other several times every day, and especially first thing in the morning, to "make sure we are both still alive".
It is still sad to lose a friend, close or not. You and your OH have the right idea. Paul and I are not all that often apart anymore, not for about 5 years now. He has been trying to avoid a lot of travel with work ut when he did we were in touch several times a day as well. x

View attachment 22681

How very sad, especially as they were apart when it happened. Carpe diem is one of my favourite sayings, I aim to get something positive from every day, live every Christmas as if it's my last & tell those I love that I feel that way & tell them often. In addition I don't bother with those who bring negativity with them or who have hurt me & mine; hopefully the woman who was supposed to be my daughter's mentor when she was an NQT, but did her best to destroy her, will never see IKEA as a place to buy flat pack furniture but the one where she was verbally demolished sotto voce by this tiger mother.

That’s so sad, strato. 😕 I’m so sorry to hear about your friend and her devastating loss.
I have about 50 FB "friends" and they are nearly all people I have met in person.

And I am not one of those people who collects as many "friends" as possible, even though FB is constantly suggesting new ones. I don't want any more.

The wife of the man who died had nearly 700, but she ran a FB group.

I have about 50 FB "friends" and they are nearly all people I have met in person.

And I am not one of those people who collects as many "friends" as possible, even though FB is constantly suggesting new ones. I don't want any more.

The wife of the man who died had nearly 700, but she ran a FB group.
I am not really a facebook person. I have an account and about 12 friends, all of who I know and most I related to, sad I know LOL

I don’t have any social media accounts. I stay in contact with friends by text, phone, email or in person. Despite my lack of social media, I am a very sociable person. I guess this forum is technically social media though. 😉

I am not really a facebook person. I have an account and about 12 friends, all of who I know and most I related to, sad I know LOL
Everyone of my friends on Facebook are my friends or relatives. I get lots of friend requests from strangers which I just delete. Someone I know has over 1000 friends, I mean really! Probably only ever met them once.

Thought it a spare weak moment I would dip into Qurio to see if there are any gems and revaluations into QVC shopping habits.Well the number of times some people appear they must be reaching spending proportions nearing the National debt! Enough of that as long as it not coming out of my bank account! Christmas brings out the worst in decorations,who would throw good money away on a Santa that circles a tree on a bit of wire and at QVC prices?Quality, No, Value, certainly not, convenience? just check out the P&P.Totally brainwashed individuals with money to throw away.

Thought it a spare weak moment I would dip into Qurio to see if there are any gems and revaluations into QVC shopping habits.Well the number of times some people appear they must be reaching spending proportions nearing the National debt! Enough of that as long as it not coming out of my bank account! Christmas brings out the worst in decorations,who would throw good money away on a Santa that circles a tree on a bit of wire and at QVC prices?Quality, No, Value, certainly not, convenience? just check out the P&P.Totally brainwashed individuals with money to throw away.
I haven't seen the spinning santa thingy (sounds awful and why would santa be driving round and round a tree? Maybe he has some dementia and needs urgent help. Oh my! I am starting to worry about santa now!) and I don't intend to go looking for it. You all know my history now, so I only look if I intend to consider purchasing. That said, Chritmas stuff on Q tends to be so horrible that I am 99.9999% safe. As you say, the Qurio gang spend far too much money are are probably partially responsible for the national debt but hey ho, not yours or my bank account. x

I'm sticking up for the spinning santa here, not my cup of tea, but it was pretty inexpensive for Q and she's got a young kiddie by the looks of it, so a bit of festive fun - I can't say the same about the rest of the tat she's bought though - Twigs with lights on, more twigs with lights on and God knows what else? She posts a review nearly every day it seems. I get a feeling that she spends most of her time trawling Q's website looking for things to buy for the sake of it - It'll bite her on the bum sooner or later.
I'm noticing some shopping types here - Those who love a particular brand and will spend a small fortune on gazillions of almost identical products, then there's those like the lady mentioned above, who buys a lot of crap and seemingly doesn't care what it is, just so long as it comes from Q, and those who see the price tag as a mere number - as in the case of the socks and trainers lady - she must do. Even the presenters talk about "considered purchases" - I don't think there's much consideration going on with that lot!

I'm sticking up for the spinning santa here, not my cup of tea, but it was pretty inexpensive for Q and she's got a young kiddie by the looks of it, so a bit of festive fun - I can't say the same about the rest of the tat she's bought though - Twigs with lights on, more twigs with lights on and God knows what else? She posts a review nearly every day it seems. I get a feeling that she spends most of her time trawling Q's website looking for things to buy for the sake of it - It'll bite her on the bum sooner or later.
I'm noticing some shopping types here - Those who love a particular brand and will spend a small fortune on gazillions of almost identical products, then there's those like the lady mentioned above, who buys a lot of crap and seemingly doesn't care what it is, just so long as it comes from Q, and those who see the price tag as a mere number - as in the case of the socks and trainers lady - she must do. Even the presenters talk about "considered purchases" - I don't think there's much consideration going on with that lot!
Is the spinning santa safe for little ones? As for the spinning aeroplane, the twin towers comes to mind! Like you say, a bit of festive fun x

Latest posts

Back