QVC and widespread Nationwide Banking Problem

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

SnowMoon

Registered Shopper
Hi all. I have just tried, several times, to buy an item from Q online. Everytime it came back saying my card was declined and I should contact my bank. I thought it was weird. I checked my app, money in account, no suspicious activity, no messages. I checked emails and texts no messages from my bank. I tried to call QVC customer services I hung on for over ten minutes with nobody answering. I gave up.
I called my bank on the lost and stolen number and asked if my card had been blocked. They said no problem with my account or card. I said it was QVC and they said. "Ohhh... QVC...." They went on to explain that Nationwide asked a lot of vendors, including Q, to upgrade security by 14 March. QVC has not done so. Therefore Nationwide payments are not going through.
I am a bit miffed as I was genuinely worried my card had been compromised. Q's message said "declined" as if it is a problem at my bank or with my account. But the problem is with Q.
I am also not happy that Q are slow to improve their end of things to protect my banking security. Surely this is bad for their business income? It's very strange they have been so slow.
So, if you are with Nationwide and having troubles - I was buying online so I am not sure if the phone ordering is better - don't panic it may not be your card - although Q won't tell you that.

Hi all. I have just tried, several times, to buy an item from Q online. Everytime it came back saying my card was declined and I should contact my bank. I thought it was weird. I checked my app, money in account, no suspicious activity, no messages. I checked emails and texts no messages from my bank. I tried to call QVC customer services I hung on for over ten minutes with nobody answering. I gave up.
I called my bank on the lost and stolen number and asked if my card had been blocked. They said no problem with my account or card. I said it was QVC and they said. "Ohhh... QVC...." They went on to explain that Nationwide asked a lot of vendors, including Q, to upgrade security by 14 March. QVC has not done so. Therefore Nationwide payments are not going through.
I am a bit miffed as I was genuinely worried my card had been compromised. Q's message said "declined" as if it is a problem at my bank or with my account. But the problem is with Q.
I am also not happy that Q are slow to improve their end of things to protect my banking security. Surely this is bad for their business income? It's very strange they have been so slow.
So, if you are with Nationwide and having troubles - I was buying online so I am not sure if the phone ordering is better - don't panic it may not be your card - although Q won't tell you that.
I can understand your frustration SnowMoon, especially at first when you thought that it was perhaps a serious problem with your card and couldn’t get any response from QVC. At least you were able to speak with someone directly at your bank. I wonder just how many customers have been affected since the 14th of March. Have you now managed to make your purchase or just given up and giving your business elsewhere? I wonder what QVC customer service agents are saying when Nationwide customer try to place an order over the phone?

Thank you for reporting this on here Snowmoon!
Very stressful for you. At present, with the Ukraine crisis there seems to be a heightened risk of cyber attacks, so you were very wise to be so alert to the possible dangers.
Sadly, I am not surprised that Q is lagging behind where they should be with security updates... just disappointed.

Isn’t there a new £25 limit before they check you are you to prevent internet purchasing fraud?
I tried to pay my newspaper bill earlier, all £18 of it! I had to faff about using facial recognition that I had registered for on my banking app. It took several attempts, as it wouldn’t recognise my face initially. Oddly I spent about £100 on the Next website yesterday with no check required.

I had the same issue this morning trying to order the tsv also using nationwide. I got the declined message and to try again, it took 4 attempts before I got the nationwide verification pop up to request a one time code to confirm it was me making a genuine purchase.

I bank with Nationwide, and had no problem ordering the Elemis supersize balm the other day…
Thanks for posting though. I’m sure there will be a hitch at some stage…

Isn’t there a new £25 limit before they check you are you to prevent internet purchasing fraud?
Problem was no check popped up. No please authorise using your card reader. No please authorise in the app, nothing. Seems to be quite a new problem. I ordered something not long ago with no problem.

I have a Nationwide debit card registered on my Q account. The last EP went through a few weeks ago with no issue. I haven't used it since mind.

I ordered something on Friday using my Nationwide debit card and it was accepted and it’s been dispatched. Maybe they just do random checks or it was to do with the amount spent?

However, it’s no surprise that QVC hadn’t done the recommended update. 🙄

The website payment system has been rubbish for a long time now. Even trying to place an order has been challenging, with the system freezing or going slow, then no confirmation forthcoming that the money has gone through.

The website payment system has been rubbish for a long time now. Even trying to place an order has been challenging, with the system freezing or going slow, then no confirmation forthcoming that the money has gone through.
Can be just as slow getting it back out too.

I have only tried buying an item from the website. I can't speak about easy pays or anything else. It does seem to be a very recent issue as if the bank has got fed up of waiting and just stopped dealing with them for the time being.

I ordered something on Friday using my Nationwide debit card and it was accepted and it’s been dispatched. Maybe they just do random checks or it was to do with the amount spent?

However, it’s no surprise that QVC hadn’t done the recommended update. 🙄
There was no check. That's the point it just said declined, declined declined. I phoned the bank's helpline they told me it was because QVC had not upgraded their system and breached the deadline. If there had been any "check" random or otherwise I would have understood it. I'm used to having to validate on the app or card reader etc. But nothing, nothing and I tried on five different occasions. In the end I had to stick it on the credit card then it went through first time. Very frustrating and a total waste of my time. :)

I had a problem today with my usual Amex card on QVC. It sounds like the same problem as with Nationwide. I tried four times to pay with it, was asked to enter the security number Amex sent to my mobile on the third attempt but it still failed. I panicked a bit because what I was buying had just popped back as available after being sold out during the sale show presentation of it earlier, so I thought I would miss out again while faffing around with the payment. I tried my Barclaycard and that worked but it didn’t show as confirmed at the right price so I had to sit in a long call centre queue to check! Of course, by the time I got through, if I had been charged the wrong amount, it would have been too ****** late to cancel the order! :mad:

There‘s something about waiting on the phone for QVC to pick up that brings out the worst in me. I am normally polite and mild-mannered but waiting for 15 minutes, then waiting even longer on my second attempt (because I had to break off for another call), I was steaming. Those 10 second snippets of tinny-sounding on-hold songs by Rod Stewart and Simply Red didn’t help. But worst of all, the interruptions from a female who sounds like Jackie telling us they are experiencing higher than usual call volumes - they’ve been saying that for over 2 years - surely they are not really still restrained from employing the required number of CS staff by COVID regulations! Fortunately, the guy who eventually answered was very nice and helpful regarding the order or they might have had a tirade from me. He did say, though, that of course this security checking problem with Nationwide and now others is not QVC’s fault. He said they updated all their security to be fully compliant 18 months ago so it was the banks who need to make changes to their demands! Are they having a laugh? Does it not occur to QVC that maybe banks are regularly updating their security requirements and that systems over 6 months old, never mind 18 months, might not be good enough?!

Oh my goodness. Look what they’ve done to me - turned me into a ranting demon.

I lost over £3000 from my bank by a scam, they totally emptied it, which included my authorised overdraft as well. The scam worked BECAUSE I had to use my card reader!!!

I eventually got it all back, but only because my anti-virus was up to date.
Sorry if I sound a bit dim, but how do you use a card reader on your pc?

You put your card into a handheld reader (supplied free). Then type in your normal pin. The card reader checks it, and if correct generates a code (I think it is 8 digits). You then type this into a box on the PC screen.

If everything is OK you get logged in. But even before you get to the card reader stage, you have to type in your user name, date of birth, password, and memorable information!

You put your card into a handheld reader (supplied free). Then type in your normal pin. The card reader checks it, and if correct generates a code (I think it is 8 digits). You then type this into a box on the PC screen.

If everything is OK you get logged in. But even before you get to the card reader stage, you have to type in your user name, date of birth, password, and memorable information!
I have a card reader but only for my bank. And they never ask for all the other info.

Latest posts

Back