QVC contribution to the community.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Silver Fox

Registered Shopper
I have just seen a message on the QVC homepage which to me reads as though they are providing a community service keeping us company through TV, social media etc. Call me an old cynic but I don’t buy that at all.They encourage this myth that the presenters are ‘ friends’ sharing insights into their private lives.To me they are in a job to sell something which I either want or not, they are no more friends than someone reading the news.Maybe they do reach out to some and if they provide that feeling fine, but I don’t want to think people buy because their ‘friendly presenter’ is waxing lyrical about something but unfortunately I am being a bit naive on that one?

I have just seen a message on the QVC homepage which to me reads as though they are providing a community service keeping us company through TV, social media etc. Call me an old cynic but I don’t buy that at all.They encourage this myth that the presenters are ‘ friends’ sharing insights into their private lives.To me they are in a job to sell something which I either want or not, they are no more friends than someone reading the news.Maybe they do reach out to some and if they provide that feeling fine, but I don’t want to think people buy because their ‘friendly presenter’ is waxing lyrical about something but unfortunately I am being a bit naive on that one?
You're not an old cynic, you're totally right. I do a fair amount of shopping online, mainly with small companies, & I've had a number of emails offering me discounts & telling me that I'm important to them, however, I've had excellent service from all of them & they have my loyalty.

I just had a look and Jackie is on flogging the £300 hairdryer and spouting "always with you". I think that is going to become as irritating as Mrs May's "strong and stable".

This bonhomie may have existed in the past but they cannot promote it now in the era of the hard sell.

cynic! Though I am in that same boat (well obviously not at the moment given the current world situation, but you know what I mean). I think it started when they first started doing Blogs and then the likes of Katie (yummymummy!) having their own youtube channels prior to being a presenter, felt like we all wanted to invest our time into these (little people inside a TV screen). No, as you say some will and it is nice that they garner some succour from this, I though don't! Also, this seems to be a UK only act. as the US doesn't have presenter blogs as frequently. No, for once this is 'home-grown' sorry to break it 'peeps', but UK Q presenters are more insecure than their American counter-parts!

I just cannot watch something as trivial as QVC at the moment. It's not escapism to me, as they are still pressuring you to spend your money with them.

I am working at home, so I'm interested in things that will improve my home office experience. I'm eating more at home, so I need more food than when I was buying lunch at the office. And being around my home more means I'm using all my amenities more - so the loo roll situation is relevant, shall we say?

What's not essential to my well being is dropping £300 on a hair dryer or a vacuum cleaner when I already have both. I'm not going anywhere, so the clothes I've got will do fine.

I'd much rather hear what Q are doing to support the NHS and the other essential workers who are keeping so many people alive at great risk to themselves than spouting about community and doing nothing to demonstrate they understand the word.

If they were really supporting the community then they would be sending a large donation to the N.H.S. to provide the PPE equipment that is so desperately needed at the moment, instead of fawning to the sad few who believe that QVC is their friend.

Sorry - just my opinion.

I think they're harking back to the old days, some 20 years ago when they used to do the T-Callers and all the easily exploited members of society used to phone in and talk about how much QVC meant to them. The same type of lonely people would send Alison Young a wedding card etc. That all change once social media came along and do they even invite T-Callers nowadays?

I will join you on the cynical step.
I swtiched on at the week end and Mr Perry the gardening guy was flogging compost by saying we deliver to the door too. Did not see the price but there one bag used to be more than double than I pay for 3.

Did I see Jill F doing a show where she and the BA (Bobbie Brown I think) were speaking via Skype type thingy. Unfortunately the BA visual was fish eye lens which was not ideal for selling make up.

I did wonder why people needed to buy makeup since we are all on lockdown but then I remembered you need full slap on and a perfectly tanned body for your underwear SM selfies,

For those posting on arsebook about how Q is keeping them company - can they not watch something else on TV - not every channel is showing the news?

You never know where an item has been & the Q sends out some pretty vile returns under normal circumstances. The thought of a longer mbg makes me reach for the bleach :sick:
And to make matters worse they’ve started their sale so its 100% sure that the goods have been in just about every house in the country before coming to yours.

Latest posts

Back