QVC is not alone....

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
because as I see it, fashion in general is pretty rubbish everywhere ! I'm by no means a 'fashionista' I buy what I like and will suit me, BUT unless I buy from a couple of 'not cheap' websites where quality is fab, then there is nada that I like.
I buy weekly womens mags, and the photo fashion in them is dire - clearly aimed at younger women, but us oldies can usually put our own spin on it, but shoulder big frilly collars ???? Little House on the Prairie tiered frocks ?? even back in the day when Laura Ashley did this the first time round it was never this awful. Its really depressing looking at the 'stuff' in the shops, and I don't even bother with the supermarkets. I said on here earlier this year that I won't be buying any more clothes - and I'm not, even more so now, as what I have in my wardrobe bought in years past is far far nicer than anything being offered now. So QVC is in good company !

I like plain well cut but expensive looking clothes. When I was younger I made my own clothes using the Vogue Designers patterns. When I could afford it I had some lovely local Seamstresses make clothes for me. Now I buy a lot of items from M&S as I don't go anywhere fab enough to warrant hand made clothes lol. The Autograph range is quite nice. And now they do some other designers. QVC is overpriced and some of the ranges MW for example are trying to capture a certain look but the devils in the detail. Poor cut, cheap fabrics and a tacky finish is Not Designer...or is it!

I don't mind the tea dresses so long as they don't have those god awful sleeves that are the trend at the moment. The Little House on the Prairie look is not for me.

I tried a dress on recently in M & S that I thought, wrongly, would be quite nice on. Honestly, the arm length was way past my hands, with so much billowing material that I could probably have set sail and successfully complete a round the world trip in just under a month.

I used to adore Laura Ashley and I am ashamed to say, I still love that floral, chintzy style. But I need more classic, well cut and simple items now I am 54 and not a size 8 anymore. Marla Wynne just doesn't grab me at all. It has the Carters tent look on me. Yes, I am larger sized (20) but I still want a bit of shape. Lordy knows, scrubs do nothing for me. My arse looks enormous in them, I don't want that look at home as well. Like Brissles, not a lot grabs me. I like Seasalt but it can get rather samey after a while.

because as I see it, fashion in general is pretty rubbish everywhere ! I'm by no means a 'fashionista' I buy what I like and will suit me, BUT unless I buy from a couple of 'not cheap' websites where quality is fab, then there is nada that I like.
I buy weekly womens mags, and the photo fashion in them is dire - clearly aimed at younger women, but us oldies can usually put our own spin on it, but shoulder big frilly collars ???? Little House on the Prairie tiered frocks ?? even back in the day when Laura Ashley did this the first time round it was never this awful. Its really depressing looking at the 'stuff' in the shops, and I don't even bother with the supermarkets. I said on here earlier this year that I won't be buying any more clothes - and I'm not, even more so now, as what I have in my wardrobe bought in years past is far far nicer than anything being offered now. So QVC is in good company !
I totally agree with you. I am 80 years old but I am not an old lady if you know what I mean and I am struggling to find anything suitable for me. All I seem to see are hideous floral ‘ditsy’ type dresses in the most drab colours with frills and puff sleeves and for someone like me in a size 16 and 5’ 4” they are far too long. I need an outfit for my Grandsons wedding in the summer and I’m panicking already.

I don't mind the tea dresses so long as they don't have those god awful sleeves that are the trend at the moment. The Little House on the Prairie look is not for me.

I tried a dress on recently in M & S that I thought, wrongly, would be quite nice on. Honestly, the arm length was way past my hands, with so much billowing material that I could probably have set sail and successfully complete a round the world trip in just under a month.

It wasn't this one was it ? I don't know about setting sail, but put a flame under me and I'd have taken off above the treetops !! As soon as I saw myself in the mirror - off it came - what was I thinking ? back it went.

It has been said by a number of women once you hit 50 you become invisible and that includes fashion. You are pushed into what the shops now consider granny fashion, which your granny wouldn't be caught dead in any way.

I am not a dress wearer, did wear them back in the 80s, but now it would be only weddings. I know what I like and what suits me, simple no frills, flowery designs. As I am short, it is a nightmare to get jeans or even simple black or navy trousers. Shops these days insist short is 29 inside leg, no ****** is not! I have to look for cigarette jeans or trousers to get the correct length for me. Everything has to be straight leg as boot cut does not look good if turned up.

I am also 54, 5’1” and a curvy size 14-16. I have struggled all my life getting clothes that aren’t too long, bury me or make my backside look big. I tend to put jeans on every time I step outside of the house and live in leggings/joggers in the house. I also tend to wear black trousers to work. I know many people on here don’t like Kim’s clothes but I actually really like them and have dozens of the tops, long and short. I can then throw any of them on with my jeans, leggings or work trousers and I must say that, over the years, I have had dozens of comments from people saying how nice they are. I have recently started to buy a few more dresses and am going to force myself to wear them this summer. I have a few linen shift dresses from Next which look nice and recently bought this Dannii M dress in petite length which does looks gorgeous on. Hubby loved it as well.
https://www.qvcuk.com/Dannii-Minogue-Tiered-Hem-Midi-Dress-Petite.product.188360.html?sc=PSCH&qq=mh&

Roman Originals now do a petite range. I`ve never been petite, in fact quite the opposite at 5ft 8 and a size 18. I think my nappies must have been a size 10 because I`ve never been slimmer than a size 16 as an adult.
Anyway here`s the link to the Roman petite range if anybody is interested. Use code HAPPY20 and there`s 20% off everything plus its always free delivery.

Donna I agree about trouser lengths. Not all of us want trouser hems hanging over our feet. I'm 5'7 and even 29" is too long for me. Even crops can vary in length. I'm happy with ankle grazers which are plentiful in sizes up to a size 18/20, but anything larger and manufacturers think you have legs like a giraffe. Same with my old moan of arm lengths - the larger the size the longer the arm length.

Hubby and I walked into Monsoon last week, we both stopped in our tracks at the awful clothing on display. Hubby said in a very loud voice, 'did we travel here in a time machine and travel back to the 1970s?', staff were not amused.

I'm looking for a dress, I'm going somewhere very grand, I really am struggling to find anything, I like my clothes to last and not be a one season item. If any of you have any ideas where I can look I would be very grateful.

I have never bought clothes from QVC in all the years I have been shopping with them. They do absolutely nothing for me.

Hubby and I walked into Monsoon last week, we both stopped in our tracks at the awful clothing on display. Hubby said in a very loud voice, 'did we travel here in a time machine and travel back to the 1970s?', staff were not amused.

I'm looking for a dress, I'm going somewhere very grand, I really am struggling to find anything, I like my clothes to last and not be a one season item. If any of you have any ideas where I can look I would be very grateful.

I have never bought clothes from QVC in all the years I have been shopping with them. They do absolutely nothing for me.
We used to have a shop which sold Gina Bacconi clothes and they sold some gorgeous dresses. Sadly the shop has long since closed but I managed to snaffle a beautiful black chiffon dress in their closing down sale and several years later it is still going strong and has been used for special events. Might be worth looking on their website but they aren`t cheap I`m afraid.

We used to have a shop which sold Gina Bacconi clothes and they sold some gorgeous dresses. Sadly the shop has long since closed but I managed to snaffle a beautiful black chiffon dress in their closing down sale and several years later it is still going strong and has been used for special events. Might be worth looking on their website but they aren`t cheap I`m afraid.
Thank you Vienna, I will have a look. I honestly don't mind paying for something I really love 😊 x

YW. I`ve no idea if you`re looking for long dresses or shorter ones but its worth having a browse on the site.
My God mum (mid 60’s at the time) wore a Gina Bacconi dress to her son’s wedding a few years back - I helped her find options (online) before she went physical shopping with my mum..

It was a gorgeous dress and she looked beautiful.

Just trying to think where else we were looking!

Donna I agree about trouser lengths. Not all of us want trouser hems hanging over our feet. I'm 5'7 and even 29" is too long for me. Even crops can vary in length. I'm happy with ankle grazers which are plentiful in sizes up to a size 18/20, but anything larger and manufacturers think you have legs like a giraffe. Same with my old moan of arm lengths - the larger the size the longer the arm length.
Think they’re getting it wrong for both “ends” of the issue!
I’m good 5’10” with long body and prob longer than average legs, and most regular length items are too short!

I mourn the loss of Long Tall Sally!
It’s still going in theory but since being bought out by Yours Clothing, it’s gone really cheap looking - fabric nearly all polyester - and the clothes look naff and not made to last...
So now at a bit of a loss!

Next does a tall range which is okay in parts and some “long” items at M&S fit, even though some of it looks a bit old on me.

Have to praise Marks (and Next sometimes) for doing 3 lengths in many bottoms and sometimes dresses - which must be a nightmare in terms of stock and which is why a lot of the lengths are often OOS!), but have to say their tops and jumpers which are one standard are cropped on me!

Maybe 28”, 30” and 32/33” inside legs would work?!
(Plus a Petite option as well?)

It annoys me too when shops give you the size and height of model - but it’s meaningless unless you know what they normally wear!

Sorry rant over!

My God mum (mid 60’s at the time) wore a Gina Bacconi dress to her son’s wedding a few years back - I helped her find options (online) before she went physical shopping with my mum..

It was a gorgeous dress and she looked beautiful.

Just trying to think where else we were looking!
The dress I got in the closing down sale is similar to this one but knee length not maxi and in black chiffon. It`s never dated and still looks as good as new even though I`ve had it about 6 years now and paid about £40 for it when the shop was closing down. Quality shops are thin on the ground now, so many have gone and another shop I loved was Planet which has also gone.

Latest posts

Back