QVC ...."Need to think again"

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
Study from Ocean Wise Conservation Assoc of Canada (today's D/Mail)...

"POLYESTER from our clothes in the Arctic"
"More than half the microplastic pollution in the Arctic Ocean is made up of polyester from clothes. Synthetic fibres that break away during washing pour into rivers, lakes and seas and end up in remote oceans.

Scientists found an average 40 plastic particles per cubic metre of seawater. Synthetic fibres make up more than 90 % of microplastic pollution in the Arctic and three quarters is polyester. Research found each garment can shed millions of microfibres in one wash. Though microfibres eventually end up on the ocean floor, marine animals mistake them for food and can end up on our plates in fish and seafood... The dominance of polyester fibres highlights the role textiles, laundry and wastewater discharge may have in the contamination of the world's oceans... "

We are relentlessly pummelled about the state of the planet and how we can 'do our bit' to help climate change etc etc, but singly we are all peeing against the wind, whereas the whole of the fashion industry - from fabric manufacture through to designers need to be held to account, along with all the coal burners of China and India.

So QVC,as the worlds largest shopping channel, could step up to the plate and be instrumental in encouraging their designer vendors to find an alternative to polyester.

They won`t do anything because almost every clothing item they sell is polyester or polyester mix. Its cheap to buy and they and the manufacturers must make a lot of profit especially at their grossly inflated prices.

I agree there is a problem, but the wholesale ditching of polyester clothing into landfill or whatever cannot be the solution.
What made polyester such an attractive option in the first place: durable, versatile, easy care...price...needs to be considered. I confess to wearing a lot of polyester as being sedentary while working from home, I get cold really fast. I have my thermal tops, acrylic jumpers or polyester fleece, my fleece or plush throws.
Some of the washing bags that are supposed to catch microfibres are too small for the items we need to wash... given how much of out bedding is also in the dock.
I think if we can innovate to make caring for these items simple and affordable, as well as looking for alternatives with very similar properties but without the downside, it will be a game-changer. Not everyone can turn to natural materials, which can also have a significant environmental impact of their own.

They won`t do anything because almost every clothing item they sell is polyester or polyester mix. Its cheap to buy and they and the manufacturers must make a lot of profit especially at their grossly inflated prices.
and most is made in China. I take my hat off to those who make in their own country, but I could count them on one hand!

Microfibre us,I believe, as bad considering some or all (not sure which) us made from recycled plastic.

Spend half my time looking at were stuff is made and what it's made of. Very hard to find anything that's not made in China.

Microfibre us,I believe, as bad considering some or all (not sure which) us made from recycled plastic.

Spend half my time looking at were stuff is made and what it's made of. Very hard to find anything that's not made in China.
I now count doing that as a hobby! Even items made elsewhere have components parts produced there & every new button in the world comes from Qiaotou so that involves a huge amount of clothing. I spent a very wet September Saturday doing our Christmas shopping online, nothing came from China, the beauty products were all cruelty free & palm oil free & I even found children's clothes made in Britain. I fudged the issue when I needed a new laptop & bought a refurb & will do the same when I give in to nagging & get a new phone. I have massive issues with how they treat animals, don't get me started on the plight of the pangolin.

Wel
I now count doing that as a hobby! Even items made elsewhere have components parts produced there & every new button in the world comes from Qiaotou so that involves a huge amount of clothing. I spent a very wet September Saturday doing our Christmas shopping online, nothing came from China, the beauty products were all cruelty free & palm oil free & I even found children's clothes made in Britain. I fudged the issue when I needed a new laptop & bought a refurb & will do the same when I give in to nagging & get a new phone. I have massive issues with how they treat animals, don't get me started on the plight of the pangolin.
Well done Twilight, it's a minefield trying to find out were things come from and their treatment of animals .

Talking of buttons. I was looking at handmade brooches on the website in my link and they do some gorgeous handmade buttons, made here in the UK by the woman who runs the small company. I don`t knit or sew but if I did then some of those buttons are gorgeous and I`d do the same as my Mum always did when we outgrew our hand knitted cardis or hand sewn clothes, she`d cut off the buttons and use them again and again. In fact I have her button tin and some of the buttons in it must be donkeys years old.

Talking of buttons. I was looking at handmade brooches on the website in my link and they do some gorgeous handmade buttons, made here in the UK by the woman who runs the small company. I don`t knit or sew but if I did then some of those buttons are gorgeous and I`d do the same as my Mum always did when we outgrew our hand knitted cardis or hand sewn clothes, she`d cut off the buttons and use them again and again. In fact I have her button tin and some of the buttons in it must be donkeys years old.
Thank you Vienna, that's another one added to my list of shops & a pair of earrings bought. I also have a button tin & reuse mine many times.

Back to microfibre. I have fleece going back at least 10 years and even though it is well worn, it shows no sign of wear. Has anyone ever worn any out?

I managed to wear a fleece out once. I don't think it was off me unless I was sleeping for years but it eventually went thin and lost all warmth so it went out. It must have been about 20 years old.

It really annoys me that washing machine manufacturers could put a filter in that would catch the fibres. But they don't. Yep, really ****** annoys me.

Latest posts

Back