QVC UK Sales Figures First Quarter 2014

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

donna255

ShoppingTelly Supporter
I know we all worry about QVC UK going down like old Bid.:mysmilie_19:

But fear not the sun is shinning.

QVC UK's revenue grew 10% in local currency in the first quarter primarily due to sales in the home, beauty and accessories categories. QVCUK's ASP in local currency increased 12% and units sold decreased 3% in the first quarter. QVC UK's first quarter return rate as a percent of gross product revenue in local currency improved by 165 basis points from the prior year due primarily to changes in prior period estimates based on actual experience and lower rates in electronics and beauty. QVC UK's adjusted OIBDA in local currency increased 32% and adjusted OIBDA margin increased 279 basis points in the first quarter. The increase in adjusted OIBDA margin was primarily due to higher product margins and warehouse efficiencies.

I only copied the UK figures but the US increased by 1%.

According to my old mum I'm responsible for their increase in sales :mysmilie_13: I've got to stop the addiction! Albeit I do return a lot!

Based on the big reduction in my personal purchases I'm surprised they aren't showing a deficit, as OH is convinced that I am keeping them afloat all on my own.

I'm more inclined to think it that what it means is that they have conned the customer into forking out for exorbitant P&p and that it not only covers all possible warehouse expenses but just about everything else as well. I reckon that on the profit on P&p alone would be a tidy sum and the markup on the items is the very very nice jam on the cake.

Warehouse efficiencies will mean they have reduced their variable cost per order for pick and pack - ie they are doing it faster and for less. Less may not just mean fewer hours, it could also mean that they are turning stock quicker or, more likely, outsourcing more dispatch direct to suppliers so that the stock doesn't touch their warehouse. This is highly likely. When QVC started (over 20 years ago, don't you know :wink:) a lot of suppliers wouldn't have had their own direct dispatch operation, nowadays it's the norm, which means that QVC no longer needs to take stock in to send it back out again.

Unfortunately, higher product margins does simply mean we are paying more and getting less value :(

Warehouse efficiencies will mean they have reduced their variable cost per order for pick and pack - ie they are doing it faster and for less. Less may not just mean fewer hours, it could also mean that they are turning stock quicker or, more likely, outsourcing more dispatch direct to suppliers so that the stock doesn't touch their warehouse. This is highly likely. When QVC started (over 20 years ago, don't you know :wink:) a lot of suppliers wouldn't have had their own direct dispatch operation, nowadays it's the norm, which means that QVC no longer needs to take stock in to send it back out again.

Unfortunately, higher product margins does simply mean we are paying more and getting less value :(

i was thinking on the lines we are spending more. we all know that qvc is hardly ever vfm. and seeing that they sell thousands of many lproducts in a day means that they could be a lot cheaper.

the hard sell is to ENSURE that we do buy from qvc. the pressure and emphasis is that you feel you need to buy from qvc. i bought some bronzo italia which i really liked but its looking like crap and its not cheap so no wonder they are making a bomb some of its products are just hype

Except for the some beauty tsvs there aren't really many products that are exclusive to QVC. If you just want one item from a beauty tsv you can often find it quite easily on eBay. Also one quick Google & you can find a lot of the products cheaper elsewhere & with free delivery.

P&P to the rescue! Bless them, they'll use every bit of our money they can grab to make their 10%, and p&p must be a huge money-spinner.

I think the revenue would be much, much higher if p & p was either free or capped regardless of number of items. A lot of people have stopped buying because of this.

Sometimes there are a few things I'd like to buy on the same day, ( not often, just sometimes!) but when you add up all the separate p&ps, I think naw I'll look elsewhere for them!

say what you want, but i would be very sad if Q disappeared. i order a lot and i like to have it on in the background...

In these difficult times, we are pretty much all being more careful what we spend. Surely QVC's success indicates that they are doing something right, business-wise? Offering people what they want at a price they are prepared to pay? Yes, shareholders always benefit, but any company provides an income for its employees and a company like QVC and its mass buying must also support the income of its suppliers. It's not all bad, or not all about 'fat-cat' boards of directors. Sometimes it's just about being a successful business.

Latest posts

Back