QVC's having a go at Craft...again

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Craftalot

Indigenouscommunities
Looks like Anna Griffen is returning with some cardmaking kits at midday tomorrow. I thought QVC had essentially given up on Craft. Seems an odd move to give it another go, particularly at the end of May (hardly a busy time for papercrafters) and being up against not just Create and Craft any more but the mighty Hochy.

I wonder who they'll put with Anna? Last time, I seem to remember it was Del Boy, and I don't think I'd ever seen her look that bored. Sounds like a good gig for one of the instantly forgettable ones from Style, who can coo reassuring 'ooh, that's lovely' noises for an hour without actually having to be troubled to say anything remotely useful or revealing about the product.

I used to love the Craft hours years ago. I spent a bl....dy fortune if it was an all-day event, and I'm still using today a lot of the glitter pots I bought back then. I have a stall at all the local craft fairs (I make Venetian style masks), and there are still a lot of people making cards, judging by the number of stands with cards.

QVCs huge overheads and expensive p&p will probably price themselves out the craft market.........again, but hey, we all love a trier. :mysmilie_3:

I always found the craft shows...Boring, but I do know that we can't all like the same things. Craft and the Gnome gardening are two shows that I will never watch.

I'm not in to crafting one, I haven't got the patience and two, you can buy a "hand made" card at Card Factory for two quid, so I wouldn't pay £8 for a £2 card and have to make it myself. :mysmilie_17:

Very true Shoppy. I had a go - once, and decided the hassle, faff, and expense weren't worth the effort for something that would end up in the bin. I used up all my card 'stuff' to make laminated book marks, which surprisingly sold well. Its noticeable, in my area anyway, that 'craft' shops have long since died, but Hobbycraft/the Works/the Range have taken up the mantle for those that need their 'fix'.

I can understand those who didn't like the shows because 'cards' were the mainstay of their output, but what about the big Crafting country shows where all skills are shown, from jewellery, basketwork, knitting, sewing, artwork, glasswork,? it would be a poorer world without all these skills that people have, and I'm always amazed how much talent there is when wandering around the stalls.

Oh I agree brissles, it is a talent and crafters produce some beautiful items, I admire crafters and their skill because as my dad always used to say, rest his soul, I'm gammy handed, so I couldn't be a crafter :mysmilie_17:

I'm not in to crafting one, I haven't got the patience and two, you can buy a "hand made" card at Card Factory for two quid, so I wouldn't pay £8 for a £2 card and have to make it myself. :mysmilie_17:

Same here. Although, I used to be creative as a kid and I like being creative with things on the computer (not that I'm terribly skilled) as well as cake-making when I have time, the craft shows that were on when I first watched QVC 10 years or so ago bored me to death. I can admire the work that goes into a nice hand-made card but it's not for me.

Cards in some shops now are a ridiculous price and I'm not so sure people really appreciate them enough to warrant such a spend. I mean, we all like to receive a birthday greeting and I still send quite a few Christmas cards (though less than I used to) but I'd rather spend a few quid more on a gift than a fiver on a card including postage. Even a basic card now is £2.49/£3.49 in WH Smith.

Very true Shoppy. I had a go - once, and decided the hassle, faff, and expense weren't worth the effort for something that would end up in the bin. I used up all my card 'stuff' to make laminated book marks, which surprisingly sold well. Its noticeable, in my area anyway, that 'craft' shops have long since died, but Hobbycraft/the Works/the Range have taken up the mantle for those that need their 'fix'.

I can understand those who didn't like the shows because 'cards' were the mainstay of their output, but what about the big Crafting country shows where all skills are shown, from jewellery, basketwork, knitting, sewing, artwork, glasswork,? it would be a poorer world without all these skills that people have, and I'm always amazed how much talent there is when wandering around the stalls.

I do agree with you there. I must say, I like a little browse in a craft fair occasionally.

I agree - and it gives crafting a bad name. The shows on QVC are SO boring, and so unnecessarily boring. No demos, no real enthusiasm, no creativity. Just a standard QVC table with some card packs and then some ready-made demos. If I was a newbie to it, it'd put me off too!

I know crafting gives a lot of people a lot of pleasure and you can`t put a price on enjoying creating things. As a non crafter I see lots of nice ready made cards for a couple of quid especially in places like the Card Warehouse and I know quite a few people who also use online card sites such as Funky Pigeon which even saves folk from having to leave their arm chairs to actually buy a card, buy a stamp and post it.
I never save cards I receive and I stopped mailing Christmas cards several years ago and make a charity donation instead. A box of 10 nice Christmas cards would cost less than a fiver but would cost more than a fiver just to post them and would probably end up in the bin just a few days later.
I love to see creativity, I have 2 left hands and feet so creating anything would be a miracle for me but IF I were a creative person then card making wouldn`t be my choice. All that hard work and creativity sent to 9 out of 10 people who wouldn`t even realise the blood, sweat and tears which had gone into it and knowing that my handiwork would probably be scrapped within days of receipt.

I know crafting gives a lot of people a lot of pleasure and you can`t put a price on enjoying creating things. As a non crafter I see lots of nice ready made cards for a couple of quid especially in places like the Card Warehouse and I know quite a few people who also use online card sites such as Funky Pigeon which even saves folk from having to leave their arm chairs to actually buy a card, buy a stamp and post it.
I never save cards I receive and I stopped mailing Christmas cards several years ago and make a charity donation instead. A box of 10 nice Christmas cards would cost less than a fiver but would cost more than a fiver just to post them and would probably end up in the bin just a few days later.
I love to see creativity, I have 2 left hands and feet so creating anything would be a miracle for me but IF I were a creative person then card making wouldn`t be my choice. All that hard work and creativity sent to 9 out of 10 people who wouldn`t even realise the blood, sweat and tears which had gone into it and knowing that my handiwork would probably be scrapped within days of receipt.

When I used to make my own cards I used to only give them to people who would appreciate them. No point giving to someone who doesn't give a hoot.

I don't keep cards either and cringe when I have to throw them in the bin, it's like throwing money away. I only keep the husbands (who goes for funny cheapo cards, and my sons/grandkiddies who spend about a fiver on a card) even though I keep telling them (in a nice jokey way) that you can get a nice card in Card Factory for a knicker, but I suppose we all have different opinions, emotions and value we put on them, were cards are concerned.

I'm a crafter, papercraft mainly but I do dabble with knitting/crochet/sewing, but I too find QVC's craft shows boring. Anna Griffin's style of products aren't my taste but I do know crafter's who love her stuff. Over on the craft telly forum there's a few members who love her stuff and SCW keeps them upto date with any products he finds.

I really like Anna Griffin as the person she appears to be and for her craft style. I have a couple of her kits that I bought ages ago for Christmas cards and everyday cards, although I send cards less and less these days.

I enjoyed Anna's shows but didn't buy anything. Miceal was way over the top with his ooohs and ahhhhs.

CC

The craft shows on QVC used to really be about assembling items to someone else's design rather than the person actually having any artistic skill or eye. Can't see the point, really, given the expense. A machine or production line would probably do it cheaper and better.

Latest posts

Back