Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Peter often says a watch is a hunter design or hunter inspired - he said it tonight.
Unfortunately he doesn't have a clue what it means.
A hunter is a watch with a metal plate to protect the glass , and a half hunter has a metal plate which can cover half the glass.
None of the watches Peter has described as hunter has ever had a protective plate.
He is a total charlatan.

I caught some of the latest watch show featuring more watches I’ve never heard of - just before the ‘remade’ (Simon Peter, a can of Mane, a box of screws and a Swiss Army Knife round the back) Apple iPhone parade extravaganza. These timepieces appear to be knocked out at around £150, but have RRPs of £700/£800 pounds Assuming Ideal World buy them for significantly less than what they are selling them for, a £600 or so mark down seems very unlikely. Are these RRPs just picked out of the sky? Or are the watches actually being sold at those prices elsewhere? Surely the ASA should demand this to allow the ‘ad’ to stand?

I caught some of the latest watch show featuring more watches I’ve never heard of - just before the ‘remade’ (Simon Peter, a can of Mane, a box of screws and a Swiss Army Knife round the back) Apple iPhone parade extravaganza. These timepieces appear to be knocked out at around £150, but have RRPs of £700/£800 pounds Assuming Ideal World buy them for significantly less than what they are selling them for, a £600 or so mark down seems very unlikely. Are these RRPs just picked out of the sky? Or are the watches actually being sold at those prices elsewhere? Surely the ASA should demand this to allow the ‘ad’ to stand?

There are places where they are listed at and sold at the RRP prices, how many they sell at that price god knows, but I doubt it’s many. Heritor web site is one and Amazon, although it’s not Amazon themselves that is the seller, it’s different folk (Heritor are one of them) selling through Amazon market place But there are also places elsewhere selling at lower price ranges.

The CEO of Resultco, owner of the Heritor and 19 other watch brands, admits they use an inflated RRP to let their distributors give discounts as the public like discounts.

“We accept the consumer’s psychology of never buying a product at retail regardless of brand. Today’s consumer needs to satisfy their mental state to want a discount when making a purchase. To aid the retailer we enhance the retail price with an expectation that the dealer will discount at purchase. We allow the dealer to promote Heritor based on design and cost.”

The prices IW sell at; IMO is close to the true value of these watches. They are nothing special, certainly not to warrant the high RRPs, you can find thousands of these Chinese watches on Ali express, same quality at similar or lower prices. There is nothing wrong with them, but they are definitely not watches you would be passing down from one generation to the next, well I suppose in theory you could, being automatic and if properly looked after and serviced it should last, but the cost of servicing and maintaining would be significantly more than it originally cost, so unless it’s had some real sentimental value, it would be a bin job.

They probably source their watches from somewhere like here.

One of the companies on that site are Solar Time (Hong Kong), lot of the watches you see on IW come from them. At one time I thought they just supplied these brands with their watches, but they are in fact the parent company of all these brands, Earnshaw, Ballast, AVI-8, Swiss legend, Swiss Eagle, Duxot, Nubeo, James McCabe, Spinnaker etc.

HOW DARE YOU !!!

People like you make me SICK !!!!!!

Are you trying to tell me you've never walked into, let's say a car showroom for example, and the salesperson has never said something like 'We're selling this new Ford Focus for £25k however it actually has a Ford book price of £120k so you can see how much we've knocked off.'

Come on, it happens ALL the time ... so think on matey!!!

;)

The CEO of Resultco, owner of the Heritor and 19 other watch brands, admits they use an inflated RRP to let their distributors give discounts as the public like discounts.

“We accept the consumer’s psychology of never buying a product at retail regardless of brand. Today’s consumer needs to satisfy their mental state to want a discount when making a purchase. To aid the retailer we enhance the retail price with an expectation that the dealer will discount at purchase. We allow the dealer to promote Heritor based on design and cost.”

The prices IW sell at; IMO is close to the true value of these watches. They are nothing special, certainly not to warrant the high RRPs, you can find thousands of these Chinese watches on Ali express, same quality at similar or lower prices.

The bit in bold, what a load of old CEO / management speak bullsh1t. Ok, I accept many consumers always look for a bargain. However some manufacturers and retailers have completely skewed the perspective of retail vs RRP pricing , and NOT in a good way. Consumers maybe seek a bargain, however we don't need treated like complete twats with RRPs that are so obviously over-inflated it makes a mockery of the whole thing. No disrespect, only someone a few braincells short of a gatepost would believe they're really 'saving' x hundreds or thousands of pounds.

The only time such scenarios hold water is when you have knowledge/confidence in the 'previously sold at' price and I DON'T mean just for 4.5 days duration 7 months ago and all that guff. Using my car sales analogy, if the local Ford dealer is selling off old model (but new) Fiesta's for £15k as oppose to the £20k they had been selling at before the new model was launched, that to me is a GENUINE saving of £5k assuming the dealer is transparent about the old model aspect. The buyer is purchasing eyes wide open as to why the saving has been applied i.e. to get rid of the old (but still new) models.

IW and most selly telly have just become parodies of themselves with the savings thing. They launch straight in with 'and you can see the RRP and how much you're saving!!!'

THE RRP MEANS DIDDLY SQUAT YOU IMBECILES!!!

HOW DARE YOU !!!

People like you make me SICK !!!!!!

Are you trying to tell me you've never walked into, let's say a car showroom for example, and the salesperson has never said something like 'We're selling this new Ford Focus for £25k however it actually has a Ford book price of £120k so you can see how much we've knocked off.'

Come on, it happens ALL the time ... so think on matey!!!

;)
They tried that one with me on a Dacia Dustergutbuster or something similar sounding. I think they said it was reduced to 50p from 50000p. I asked them to try a bit harder to make the deal a bit sweeter!!

I saw that part, me thinks Peter s caught her completely off guard judging by her reaction :)

Yeah when he went - "there is a difference between day/night and moonphase indicators, is that right Emma"

Then there was along pause before she slowly and sounding very unsure said "yes" then waffled something, but didn't actually say what the difference actually is. Peter unwittingly help prove what we've saying all along, that she know very little. :ROFLMAO:

Very impressed with the iPhone Blockbuster. I got the iPhone X under contract 2 years ago. 3rd year Ive kept the phone but cheaper contract.

But for £199.99 you really can’t go wrong. Amazon I notice do the Refurb version for about £135.00 you could probably buy the other bits for under £199.99, but it’s a good deal if your only option was to spread the payments

Just to go back to last night's Heritor show, what on earth was that free gift all about????????
I've got a 20 year old bike spanner that looks better than that:rolleyes:
So you use it to avoid touching surfaces that have germs/covid on them ... put it back in your pocket ... then when taking it out to use again you might touch the part of it that previously touched a door handle that had ............ the germs/covid on it!!!

;)

Just to go back to last night's Heritor show, what on earth was that free gift all about????????
I've got a 20 year old bike spanner that looks better than that:rolleyes:

Oh come on now, there is no way your spanner can look better than that Heritor precision key ring, made from top grade materials by highly skilled craftsman in a state of the art sweat shop in China. ;):ROFLMAO:

So you use it to avoid touching surfaces that have germs/covid on them ... put it back in your pocket ... then when taking it out to use again you might touch the part of it that previously touched a door handle that had ............ the germs/covid on it!!!

;)

Yeah but it's a High precision social distancing key ring, that's also high precision door opener, bottle opener, bottle carrier and a touch screen stylus for your phone, what more can one ask for from a key ring. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The pipe on that air con unit is huge!

I've been watching to see if they mention the pipe. Simon Lies did. He said 'now there is a pipe' and turned the unit round. Immediately DP, who had obviously been listening to instructions in his ear, interrupts him, saying 'oooo thats lovely, that's ice cold'….no more mention of pipe. Very crafty!

And Simon Lies has constantly been saying that doors and windows left open create all sorts of problems but you have to shove that gigantic pipe through an open door/window!

This is an 'all jokes aside' post. I was literally disgusted by something last night.

Peter S on an exercise bike show with a youngish woman in the middle and the keep fit / coffee expert on her other side. Peter introduced her and was nice enough, 'not seen you since lockdown, how you been' etc. Then after she replied, he said along the lines of ...

'Aw isn't she lovely. If I was 20, 30, 40 oh OKAY (looking disgustingly to the floor crew) 50 years younger ...'

Followed up by him doing that STUPID, HORRIBLE lip licking / gurning face thing he does while rubbing his legs. Cue the woman smiling awkwardly, I mean how is she supposed to react to that?!? Peter obviously thinking it's still the 70's/80's so okay to say stuff like that on air.

Then, after a 3 min rapid exercise section (give him his due he did it) he sat there, belly on show due to his t-shirt riding up, again doing his STUPID, HORRIBLE gurning face thing. You could just TELL the other studio guests were 'laughing along' but undoubtedly thinking something different.

He can be genuinely creepy and quite disgusting to watch. I keep on saying it, you have to assume his shows rate well re sales and viewer response, so I'm obviously in a minority. And the older he gets, the worse he gets. Between all that and constantly interrupting guests on the watch (and other) shows ...

The pipe on that air con unit is huge!

I've been watching to see if they mention the pipe. Simon Lies did. He said 'now there is a pipe' and turned the unit round. Immediately DP, who had obviously been listening to instructions in his ear, interrupts him, saying 'oooo thats lovely, that's ice cold'….no more mention of pipe. Very crafty!

And Simon Lies has constantly been saying that doors and windows left open create all sorts of problems but you have to shove that gigantic pipe through an open door/window!
I'll say it again, they should be forced by selly telly law to explain it much more fully and have it connected to a window mock-up. It's an integral requirement of those units to have them externally vented. To gloss over that fact is not acceptable, there again why should we expect any different ...

It's no doubt part of selly telly school. Lesson 726, 'how to gloss over really important facts that might have an adverse impact on sales.'

;)

Latest posts

Back