Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

A very "Ideal" type moment in the 2 minutes I watched of the Gamages show on TJC tonight I thought this thread would appreciate

Derek was the host "The Gamages shop in London shut recently didn't it Tony?" "Thats right not that long.....(pause) well 10 years or so (longer pause) actually maybe 20 years"

It shut in 1972...

Derek follows up with an absolute pearler

"Like most of the high street, the Internet has a lot to answer for "

Wasn't much online shopping in 1972 Del..

Sure there were plenty more but I had some hair to wash

A very "Ideal" type moment in the 2 minutes I watched of the Gamages show on TJC tonight I thought this thread would appreciate

Derek was the host "The Gamages shop in London shut recently didn't it Tony?" "Thats right not that long.....(pause) well 10 years or so (longer pause) actually maybe 20 years"

It shut in 1972...

I lasted about five minutes in before I gave up...I am pretty sure the Fields progeny will be flogging a C&A's watch in a few years...

Within 8 mins of the Sally Me Me Me Jacks hour she has said that in the past she bought slippers at £90 a jacket at £100 a few pairs of shoes with no prices mentioned plus she was out for a family dinner last night.....Cost of living crisis....mmmh really!

Do the presenters never stop to think for a minute who their audience are? So patronising....and Me Me Me is still making it all about her saying "I have x amount of these left!" making it sound like its her own shopping TV channel as ever, easter and christmas has also already been mentioned! Just comes across as so desperate for a sale.
Sally Jacks is a failed singer, and shopping telly is the closest she's ever going to get to being a celeb.

So she probably believes that the world is dying to know all about her life because she's on TV.

It shut in 1972...

I always have the sneaking suspicion that Derek Gibbons is laughing at the people buying with his jokey, "smart" little comments and asides. Now, with quite a bit of the TJC tat that people choose to buy, it's understandable. But sometimes the comments aren't very jokey. Or that far removed from actual insults.

Some selly telly presenters, like Derek, Sally Jacks, and Peter Simon (along with a fair number of those left on Gemporia) need to be reminded every so often that they're nothing more than sales assistants. And forget the delusions of grandeur. Or the ones where they think that they're major TV stars or celebs.

Ly
Sally Jacks is a failed singer, and shopping telly is the closest she's ever going to get to being a celeb.

So she probably believes that the world is dying to know all about her life because she's on TV.

I always have the sneaking suspicion that Derek Gibbons is laughing at the people buying with his jokey, "smart" little comments and asides. Now, with quite a bit of the TJC tat that people choose to buy, it's understandable. But sometimes the comments aren't very jokey. Or that far removed from actual insults.

Some selly telly presenters, like Derek, Sally Jacks, and Peter Simon (along with a fair number of those left on Gemporia) need to be reminded every so often that they're nothing more than sales assistants. And forget the delusions of grandeur. Or the ones where they think that they're major TV stars or celebs.
Agree!!

On IW they have a event Delivery £3.99 but they will refund you, why make you pay delivery in first place

It's not really a refund, you have to buy something else to get it. It's a credit into your account to use on another purchase (min £20) before the end of April.

It's just a sales tactic (not exclusive to IW) to entice you into buying another product from them.

Not sure of the persons name but whoever the guest who was on with Mason the last hour really didn't seem comfortable with him at all

"Great to see you Lovely" (Ignored)

"The fantastic guest take care and stay safe" (ignored)

Mike told us the offer would not be available a minute after the end of the show lets keep an eye on that shall we

As of 6.50pm it is but then again that surprises nobody

He (Mason) is right out of 1978 the way he sometimes refers to women (great, love, babe, thank you, darlin‘) around him on IW and to his personal life, on air at least. Some women will obviously go with it, but others clearly realise 1978 is 45 years ago and not fitting in with current ways of making small talk with people. That said, the whole presenting style on the channel is very much Carry On Crackerjack, so it is not just him living in the past in how they present themselves to viewers.

Yep it is his 1990's early 2000s bluecoat persona

I wouldn't lambast him for some of his early clips that he certainly wouldn't get away with now (rightly so) but like you say times have changed and he hasn't, not enough anyway.

Its funny how people like him and others feel comfortable to banter in such a way they couldn’t do in a lot of normal jobs out there, or TV wise, on a mainstream channel - not that any of them would be on one.

I listen to his and others’ selling ramblings and wince at some of the innuendo they come out with. If they are like that ON camera, you wonder if it is even more ramped up off it.

My suspicion is the culture there is that you can essentially say and do what you like, as it is thought few sentient beings are tuning in, or the ones that are semi-aware are so daft they wouldn‘t pick up on it or care even if they did. The weak official ‘policing’ body doesn’t help the mood either. A few questioning posts on an Internet forum is obviously no deterrent. And if they do say anything at all privately about this place, then I doubt it is very complimentary to the contributors. Clearly, some of them do read here - the tech guy Grant, for example. Therefore, you imagine, it is not just him presenter wise. And I am sure I remember Mason, some years back now, asking for certain posts here to be amended or else during the auction farce channels days. Perhaps somebody else around in those days can either confirm that memory, or correct me if I’m wrong for the record.

Last edited by a moderator:
The out of work actress is wearing probably the worst, most unflattering dress I have ever seen. She looks like a 1970s‘ denim sports bag full of melting Jubilees and Bar Sixes. You could double it up as an on trend, to size, going to the tip bag for all your cracked terracotta pots, stagnant water bottles and barbecue congealed fat lumps. Having to enthuse about looking like a leaking awning..What a way to earn a living…

Latest posts

Back