Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Oh it's UV light time.

how many folks carry a UV torch with them so they can see their watch?

If the GTLS tubes are so good at glowing why the UV torch?
In fairness they are representing how they would appear in complete darkness and the you having fully open pupils ie. you wake up in the middle of the night in compete darkness. Where they are not so clever, is in 1/2 light when the glow is not obvious, unlike regular lume. Thing that is wrong, they don't last 28 years. They will quite dim after about 10 years in my experience. I'm sure they have a half life of 12 years so half as bright every 12 years.

I see they still cannot shift the last two buran at £1700..:ROFLMAO:
They still have Vostok 21st Anniversary watches for sale, and presumably they daren't feature them again on TV for fear of being rumbled as to how unpopular they are (though knowing IW they will be brought back to air eventually because they think their viewers have the collective memory span of goldfish) (y)

Also in the reviews there's complaints about watches not turning up including a claim of their watch being 'lost'; very strange given that they still have them in stock.

In fairness they are representing how they would appear in complete darkness and the you having fully open pupils ie. you wake up in the middle of the night in compete darkness. Where they are not so clever, is in 1/2 light when the glow is not obvious, unlike regular lume. Thing that is wrong, they don't last 28 years. They will quite dim after about 10 years in my experience. I'm sure they have a half life of 12 years so half as bright every 12 years.

Yeah probably being a wee bit to harsh on them with this one, but they just annoy me so much now, especially as Reynolds seems to be getting worse with his patter. :ROFLMAO:

While I agree with what you're saying, about 1/2 lit room or daylight and complete darkness, I have to disagree a wee bit with the bolded part, often Reynolds will say similar, ie this is exactly how it will look on your bedside cabinet in the middle of the night, etc. My watches with GTLS tubes never look as bright as those in the demos. And there's a simple reason for that, contrary to what Reynolds says, that they use the UV torch to excite the tritium in the tubes, the tritium in the tubes plays no part in the UV demo it's actually a reaction between the Phosphor in the tubes and UV light that is occurring, and that gives off a far brighter light, than the light given off in the reaction that normally occurs in GTLS tubes (which can be seen in the dark), ie when you have the Tritium/Phosphor reaction.
Now if they said we are using the torch to give you a rough idea as to how the tubes will glow in the dark, but obviously they won't glow as brightly, then fine, but he doesn't say that.
And this is why I 'm not a fan of the UV demo without the right caveat added, it's doesn't give a true representation of how it will look, yeah you can see them in complete darkness and read time up to approx 3/4 feet, but they are not as bright as the demo in studio makes them appear, also the UV light illuminates/makes visible stuff on the dial/watch you're never going to see in complete darkness.

They still have Vostok 21st Anniversary watches for sale, and presumably they daren't feature them again on TV for fear of being rumbled as to how unpopular they are (though knowing IW they will be brought back to air eventually because they think their viewers have the collective memory span of goldfish) (y)

Also in the reviews there's complaints about watches not turning up including a claim of their watch being 'lost'; very strange given that they still have them in stock.

A couple of nights back they were flogging the one with the union jack and 2000-2021 dates underneath. Kevin said along the lines of 'even if you don't want to buy based on the date association with IW, what a great gift this watch would make for a 21st or simply to commemorate the year 2021 which has been full of ups and downs.' Fair enough on the 21st birthday thing, however who in their right mind would want to commemorate 2021? And you're right, they're hardly 'flying out the door', I think they said 120 of this model were produced, 2 weeks later they still have stock ...

Another new watch show tonight featuring Rodania (WHO!!!!) apparently they are based in brussels so god knows what back story will be told.

Well as it says, they were originally Swiss, good reputation in the past.

Although the brand's headquarters are now in Belgium, not sure where they are made now, they do use Swiss movements, obviously if they were Swiss Made they would say so, but just Swiss Movements, so likely assembled in China. Seems the ones on tonight have Ronda movements, look a bit dear for what you're getting, maybe prices will be reduced by show time. If cheaper fine enough for folks that just wanting a watch.
I suppose because it's basically the original company that's changed hands rather than resurrecting an old defunct one, they can legitimately use their history and heritage, but they should explain that it's not like the brand of old, but no doubt that won't figure into the sales patter. ;):)

A couple of nights back they were flogging the one with the union jack and 2000-2021 dates underneath. Kevin said along the lines of 'even if you don't want to buy based on the date association with IW, what a great gift this watch would make for a 21st or simply to commemorate the year 2021 which has been full of ups and downs.' Fair enough on the 21st birthday thing, however who in their right mind would want to commemorate 2021? And you're right, they're hardly 'flying out the door', I think they said 120 of this model were produced, 2 weeks later they still have stock ...

That would be fine if the back didn't have 21st Birthday with Ideal World engraved across it. Not sure many folk would appreciate that. :ROFLMAO:

Yeah probably being a wee bit to harsh on them with this one, but they just annoy me so much now, especially as Reynolds seems to be getting worse with his patter. :ROFLMAO:

While I agree with what you're saying, about 1/2 lit room or daylight and complete darkness, I have to disagree a wee bit with the bolded part, often Reynolds will say similar, ie this is exactly how it will look on your bedside cabinet in the middle of the night, etc. My watches with GTLS tubes never look as bright as those in the demos. And there's a simple reason for that, contrary to what Reynolds says, that they use the UV torch to excite the tritium in the tubes, the tritium in the tubes plays no part in the UV demo it's actually a reaction between the Phosphor in the tubes and UV light that is occurring, and that gives off a far brighter light, than the light given off in the reaction that normally occurs in GTLS tubes (which can be seen in the dark), ie when you have the Tritium/Phosphor reaction.
Now if they said we are using the torch to give you a rough idea as to how the tubes will glow in the dark, but obviously they won't glow as brightly, then fine, but he doesn't say that.
And this is why I 'm not a fan of the UV demo without the right caveat added, it's doesn't give a true representation of how it will look, yeah you can see them in complete darkness and read time up to approx 3/4 feet, but they are not as bright as the demo in studio makes them appear, also the UV light illuminates/makes visible stuff on the dial/watch you're never going to see in complete darkness.
Yes fare point, they are probably making them look brighter than they would be in reality 😎 I don't currently own any GTLS watches to compare with. I know the vintage ones I have owned like Stocker & Yale were no longer as bright 15 years down the road but it might be an older GTLS technology.
As ever thanks, for the comprehensive reply 👍

Yes fare point, they are probably making them look brighter than they would be in reality 😎 I don't currently own any GTLS watches to compare with. I know the vintage ones I have owned like Stocker & Yale were no longer as bright 15 years down the road but it might be an older GTLS technology.
As ever thanks, for the comprehensive reply 👍

Seen a few of those online, The Time Teller did a video of the 184 last year, the Sandy 490 looks really interesting piece, shame they're not made anymore.
Yeah they start to dim, as you said around the 10 year mark onwards, half life is approx 12 years, so every 12 years will reduce in current strength by half. And depending on the original price you paid for the watch doubt it would be worth replacing, maybe if you had one of the more expensive Ball watches, one might be inclined to ask a price during a service years down the line, but for watch at the lower price range, doubt it would be worth it.

Someone on trustpilot fell for a watch show speil.

2 stars: Poor

7 hours ago

Verified

The shield watch that I purchased is…

The shield watch that I purchased is nice looking but losses time significantly so cannot use it for time keeping
Useful 2

Swan and Edgar all hand built watches :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

1 star: Bad

A day ago

Swan and Edgar watch...

Swan and Edgar watch.... Received watch in good time.
On inspection red button on watch missing paint.
Unable to turn bezel, very stiff, Poor.
Unable to alter day date, Button not working.
Would NOT buy again. Rubbish quality.
But Peter S and Mike M constantly tell us these watches are of the highest quality, future heirlooms, should be selling for 3-4 times the price and that random strangers will stop you on the street to admire your timepiece.

Me confused as to how this guy only gave it one star???

;)

This review sounds like a wannabe watch presenter interview answer 😁

have received my sheild divers watch…bargain

I have received my sheild divers watch and can honestly say it is fantastic, it's well presented and very well made. I paid £89 and I feel like a mistake has been made price wise. Truthfully I searched for a similar watch and stumbled on the exact same one which is being sold for €515. I nearly fell over if anyone sees them on ideal world again don't hesitate to buy it.

This review sounds like a wannabe watch presenter interview answer 😁

have received my sheild divers watch…bargain

I have received my sheild divers watch and can honestly say it is fantastic, it's well presented and very well made. I paid £89 and I feel like a mistake has been made price wise. Truthfully I searched for a similar watch and stumbled on the exact same one which is being sold for €515. I nearly fell over if anyone sees them on ideal world again don't hesitate to buy it.

or maybe trying to challenge Loyden's for the head cheerleader job. :eek::ROFLMAO:

Looks like a revue for the Shield Shaw watch, with the top of the range £5 miyota quartz movement.

Someone on trustpilot fell for a watch show speil.

2 stars: Poor

7 hours ago

Verified

The shield watch that I purchased is…

The shield watch that I purchased is nice looking but losses time significantly so cannot use it for time keeping
Useful 2

I’m stunned, I don’t believe this for one minute, this must be a fake revue, Emma “Miss Precision“ Boydell, has told us on many, many occasions that Shield are a renowned Professional Deep Diver’s approved watch brand, that has had to surpass the really, really stringent ISO 6425 criteria and only use the highest quality precision movements.

And I would take Emma’s word over anyone on Trustpilot any day of the week, she’s an EXPERT. ;):ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Back