Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

It's spooky that you've typed this, cause I kind of think the same. I was watching a bit of a watch show a few nights back and, as usual, it struck me just how much of a rapid selly telly production line it was.

Here's a watch, buy it now!
Here's another watch, buy it now as well!!
Here's yet another watch, quick buy it now!!!

All at 100 miles an hour. To me it devalues what they're selling. This might not make sense in type, however let's say IW was selling a watch I liked for £199.99. I'd sooner go into a quiet, calm retailers store to look at the watch at my leisure then, if I like it, to make the purchase. Here's the strange bit, even if the watch was more expensive (up to a point obviously!), I'd still sooner buy from the other retailer than IW.

I might not equate the same rationale to functional products such as vacuums, but with other items I'd be steering clear of IW. Their market stall approach to selling turns me right off.

It's all about sales, the faster the better, more haste more sales, very little to do with customer service and satisfaction. Remember unlike retail shops, the folks on IW shows will never have to deal with customers or their dissatisfaction, IW have another dept for annoying even more unhappy customers, sorry meant they happily and satisfactorily resolving customer complaints. ;) :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, it's all to vague on the watch shows, Reynolds is better than most as he'll give you enough technical details to make a fair judgement of the watches on show, but for most of the rest, they are very sparing in details. Most of the time, most of them won't tell you what movement (make and country of origin) is in the watch, some are very scant with details on the dimensions of the watches, no details of who or where the watches are made although we are given irrelevant history & heritage stories, but one overriding theme emerges, that there is a real effort made to hide the involvement of China/Chinese watchmakers. Most of the time you are only shown the face of the watch, when a proper 360 viewing would be far better, and even when they do show the back or side of the watch it's usually just for a couple of seconds.

The last time I bought a watch in my favourite jeweler, was in there approx 45 minutes to hour, had a few in mind, but wanted to see them close up before deciding which one. The sales folk were brilliant, very professional, knew what they were selling, spent as much time with you as you needed, they were obviously watch lovers themselves. Contrast that with IW, which in effect is a pantomime show in comparison.

Steam presses are the best, do away with your irons they said.
Separate generator irons are the best, do away with your on-board generator irons they said.
Now we're told a £20 iron is a cracking little product.

Make your minds up IW ;)

I've seen Bev and Den doing a steam press show before, and you're right it was the best as well, if I remember correctly, you can do 6 baby garments at a time in a press.:ROFLMAO:

Mason just seems really bored to me these days (cant blame been doing the same job that long gets boring)

Last night he made me laugh which is rare during a cleaning show Simon said are you still cold from the bbq show? He replied yes I am which scheduling genius did a bbq show when it is minus 1 outside

made me chuckle

One of the problems all the channels have is Amazon (no sh1t sherlock)

Most consumers will go there first and it is impossible for these channels to be as efficient as them (and pay as little tax and treat the workers as bad)

I wonder what percentage of people never use Amazon due to the above which is "worse" than what these channels do in the bigger scheme of things (imo)

I TRY not to use Amazon as I live in a small village but the household shop on my road is ALWAYS at least double the price of Amazon sometimes a lot more than that, it is awfully difficult when the price difference gets that big.

Just one of several reviews regarding Spray and Leave on trustpilot (just on the first two 1* reviews)
And Ideal expect them to pay for the return :unsure:

1 star: Bad

4 hours ago

Verified

I was sent the wrong stuff

I was sent the wrong stuff. I ordered Spray and Leave and got Top Gear car wash!!
Then I had problems sending it back via Hermes as their web site would not accept payment.

It's all about sales, the faster the better, more haste more sales, very little to do with customer service and satisfaction. Remember unlike retail shops, the folks on IW shows will never have to deal with customers or their dissatisfaction, IW have another dept for annoying even more unhappy customers, sorry meant they happily and satisfactorily resolving customer complaints. ;) :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, it's all to vague on the watch shows, Reynolds is better than most as he'll give you enough technical details to make a fair judgement of the watches on show, but for most of the rest, they are very sparing in details. Most of the time, most of them won't tell you what movement (make and country of origin) is in the watch, some are very scant with details on the dimensions of the watches, no details of who or where the watches are made although we are given irrelevant history & heritage stories, but one overriding theme emerges, that there is a real effort made to hide the involvement of China/Chinese watchmakers. Most of the time you are only shown the face of the watch, when a proper 360 viewing would be far better, and even when they do show the back or side of the watch it's usually just for a couple of seconds.

The last time I bought a watch in my favourite jeweler, was in there approx 45 minutes to hour, had a few in mind, but wanted to see them close up before deciding which one. The sales folk were brilliant, very professional, knew what they were selling, spent as much time with you as you needed, they were obviously watch lovers themselves. Contrast that with IW, which in effect is a pantomime show in comparison.
I watched a couple of YouTube vids the other day, guys reviewing Swan & Edgar watches that I think the company had sent them. Both of them said the watches were decent enough for the price point (note by that I don't mean the inflated RRP ;)) however no info had been provided as to the origins of the movement. One reviewer said something like 'I'm sure if it (the movement) was Swiss or maybe German they'd be shouting about it, so I'll assume it's Chinese.'

I know I've said it before, and I also know some won't be of the same quality even as Swan & Edgar (pics can be deceiving and all that), however it's scary when you look on the likes of Alibaba and see dozens upon dozens of watches that look every bit as good as some of the 'brands' featured on IW. And for prices ranging from $10 - $50. Come up with your faux heritage, slap your 'brand' name on it, maybe arrange for one or two of the components to be upgraded e.g. better facia glass, strap, movement or whatever, and bang ... away you go :)

Mason just seems really bored to me these days (cant blame been doing the same job that long gets boring)

Last night he made me laugh which is rare during a cleaning show Simon said are you still cold from the bbq show? He replied yes I am which scheduling genius did a bbq show when it is minus 1 outside

made me chuckle
Yeah I've caught some of his recent shows and the phrase 'going through the motions' definitely springs to mind. Simon the cleaning guru said to him on a recent show 'pick one of these for me to use Mike' meaning a competitors product, Mike just replied 'nah it's ok, you choose' came across as though he was thinking 'boooooring.'

Even the way he rattles through his selly telly phrases suggests he's bored with it all.

One of the problems all the channels have is Amazon (no sh1t sherlock)

Most consumers will go there first and it is impossible for these channels to be as efficient as them (and pay as little tax and treat the workers as bad)

I wonder what percentage of people never use Amazon due to the above which is "worse" than what these channels do in the bigger scheme of things (imo)

I TRY not to use Amazon as I live in a small village but the household shop on my road is ALWAYS at least double the price of Amazon sometimes a lot more than that, it is awfully difficult when the price difference gets that big.
I use Amazon a fair bit. I like the convenience and range of stuff I can buy without having to visit a store. If they're not paying all the taxes they should, that's a failure of governments as much as the company if you ask me.

I watched one of the IW trailers the other night and they showed a scene of a woman wanting a last minute bit of fashion for a night out. However how quickly can IW actually deliver? With Amazon and many other online retailers, you can usually request next day delivery (even same day if you order early enough) for many products if you're prepared to pay a premium. Do IW offer services like that?

I've said it before, unless these selly telly channels continue to diversify in their products and services, I can't see how they'll survive in years to come when other online retail becomes ever more convenient coupled with competitive prices.

Granted it was only £79.99, however they were selling a tablet last night, it was SOoooo laggy it was unbelievable. Give Rob his due though, he did say you can't expect it to offer what a £1000 tablet does.

Haven't used amazon in 2 years. My account got hacked and took them 2 months, and many phone calls to get my money back.

All they were interested in was resetting my password for 1 week. Then they gave up.

Says it all really. review on trustpilot.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/users/607c363fde03f30019708b5d

3 hours ago

Verified

I recently purchased a Duxot watch from…

I recently purchased a Duxot watch from your selves after seeing it on my tv, when it was delivered to me and I unpacked it. I found the second pointer lying in the bottom of the face. Totally dislodged from the shaft. After the initial disappointment, I found it a little amusing as I remembered watching an earlier screened show of yours and the same thing happened to a watch live on air. At which point the presenter said don’t worry, these are not the actual watch you would receive if you purchased one???. Also I fail to be amused by the 13 pence per minute charge to phone ideal world to inform you of the fault on my purchase.

3 hours ago

Verified

I recently purchased a Duxot watch from your selves after seeing it on my tv, when it was delivered to me and I unpacked it. I found the second pointer lying in the bottom of the face. Totally dislodged from the shaft. After the initial disappointment, I found it a little amusing as I remembered watching an earlier screened show of yours and the same thing happened to a watch live on air. At which point the presenter said don’t worry, these are not the actual watch you would receive if you purchased one???. Also I fail to be amused by the 13 pence per minute charge to phone ideal world to inform you of the fault on my purchase.

I remember that show, it was a Nubeo watch and it was Mason that said don't worry. :ROFLMAO:

before

Before2.png

And After

After2.png

3 hours ago

Verified

Ah -Duxot - this is the brand Peter Simon was fraudulently passing off as Swiss, saying '.... the Swiss family must be heartbroken to see the prices we are selling these at tonight !'
This was too much even for Johnathon Bordell , who replied ' I have to be careful here- they were a Swiss brand.'
Now of course they are a Dartmouth Brand , so a perhaps a Chinese family is wringing their hands.
But I doubt it.
Checkoutyerbaskets !!!!!!!!!!!

Ah -Duxot - this is the brand Peter Simon was fraudulently passing off as Swiss, saying '.... the Swiss family must be heartbroken to see the prices we are selling these at tonight !'
This was too much even for Johnathon Bordell , who replied ' I have to be careful here- they were a Swiss brand.'
Now of course they are a Dartmouth Brand , so a perhaps a Chinese family is wringing their hands.
But I doubt it.
Checkoutyerbaskets !!!!!!!!!!!

Just to add more confusion to the Solar Time saga, It's an Indian family that will be wringing their hands. ;):ROFLMAO:

Although Solar Time (who own Dartmouth brands LTD and the Duxot brand) is a Chinese company in Hong Kong, the guy that started it and owns it is Indian, he also has British Citizenship (being in Hong Kong since 1947), probably why his brands are using London as their mailing addresses. Notan Tolani's family fled (when he was one) his part of Indian when it was handed over to Pakistan and his family settled in Hong Kong.

Have the ebikes not sold out yet? Thought they were going to sell out last night and definitely be gone this morning, or maybe i'm not hearing the presenters correctly with their stock updates. :unsure: :ROFLMAO:
I caught 2 mins of a bike show earlier this evening, I can't manage more as they hold zero interest for me, not bikes as such but IW shows of them.

The name sticker/decal was on upside down!!!

:) :) :)

See they were still selling cordless Hoover vacs earlier today.

Me confused.

They were selling these 3-4 days ago and the presenters assured us they were 'gonna go!!!' so check out QUICK!!!!!!!!

Yeah, gonna go sure enough ... over the next couple of weeks perhaps?!? And maybe then with a few left over ;)

Latest posts

Back