Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I know it's a different format (reverse auction?) and I know it's not necessarily true (god I'm getting so cynical the older I get!) but at least on the likes of TJC they display numbers sold and remaining. IW remain very guarded about divulging how many they actually have and how many they've actually sold. We get the % guff that in reality means very little. You can say 'we've sold 20% already!' however if your starting stock quantity is 10, then selling 2 isn't exactly amazing is it ;)

Occasional viewers of IW perhaps wouldn't pick up on it, however the false info viewers are fed is ridiculous. I get that the world of sales needs to utilise various techniques to entice people to buy, however blatant bending of facts and truth shouldn't be part of it.

I had to chuckle when watching a few mins of a watch show last night. The watch was on for £99.99 with a supposed RRP of £450. Aye whatever. It looked like a £99.99 watch all day long, maybe even cheaper!

I know it's a different format (reverse auction?) and I know it's not necessarily true (god I'm getting so cynical the older I get!) but at least on the likes of TJC they display numbers sold and remaining. IW remain very guarded about divulging how many they actually have and how many they've actually sold. We get the % guff that in reality means very little. You can say 'we've sold 20% already!' however if your starting stock quantity is 10, then selling 2 isn't exactly amazing is it ;)

Occasional viewers of IW perhaps wouldn't pick up on it, however the false info viewers are fed is ridiculous. I get that the world of sales needs to utilise various techniques to entice people to buy, however blatant bending of facts and truth shouldn't be part of it.

I had to chuckle when watching a few mins of a watch show last night. The watch was on for £99.99 with a supposed RRP of £450. Aye whatever. It looked like a £99.99 watch all day long, maybe even cheaper!

The stock update wouldn't be so bad if they had genuinely reached low stock levels and were near selling out, but they are "in meltdown sell out mode" right from the start of the first show a product features in. Virtually every first pick of the day show has some ridiculous claim that this won't last long, let alone 24 hours, always sells out, yet we all know that the vast majority of picks of the day are still available 24 hours later. As bad as most of them are with their updates, Berk takes the biscuit with his hornblower impersonation to get our attentions before stock updates.

It would be ok if it was just the odd little bit of exaggeration, but virtually every show has some form of misinformation, lies or over the top exaggeration of quality etc. I found it interesting, that some of the reviewers on trustpilot, think of IW presenters and guests as friends, have been great support and comfort during lockdown and are held in high regards as trustworthy people, personally i find that mind-boggling, for me friends and trustworthy folks don't usually lie to me & they certainly don't talk to me/treat me like i'm a stupid f******* idiot that's is easily parted with their money, as IW presenters & Guest usually do with viewers.

The watch show, was that the one with Emma "Miss precision" Boydell? She just a con artist, i lost count of the times she drops "top Swiss brands" into her sales pitch for those cheap, with deliberately inflated RRPs, high precision Chinese watches. And for a non watch person, you've made a very accurate value assessment of those watches. (y)

I was watching Create and Craft the other day and Dean one of the presenters said.

Often If selling something over like 4 shows in a day of one product. A certain amount of stock Is allocated to each show, and when it gets to limited stock it can mean the stock for the show has become limited, maybe it’s more BS but I’ve never heard it spoke that Way

I was watching Create and Craft the other day and Dean one of the presenters said.

Often If selling something over like 4 shows in a day of one product. A certain amount of stock Is allocated to each show, and when it gets to limited stock it can mean the stock for the show has become limited, maybe it’s more BS but I’ve never heard it spoke that Way
MMmmm, that's interesting, I'd never thought of that. It could be a crafty way (pardon the pun) for IW and C&C to exaggerate the nearly sold out and low stock claims. e.g. if they're selling 1000 of a product over 5 live hours, they'd allocate 200 per show. I'd love to know if they do something like that.

It would be ok if it was just the odd little bit of exaggeration, but virtually every show has some form of misinformation, lies or over the top exaggeration of quality etc. I found it interesting, that some of the reviewers on trustpilot, think of IW presenters and guests as friends, have been great support and comfort during lockdown and are held in high regards as trustworthy people, personally i find that mind-boggling, for me friends and trustworthy folks don't usually lie to me & they certainly don't talk to me/treat me like i'm a stupid f******* idiot that's is easily parted with their money, as IW presenters & Guest usually do with viewers.
I think what's interesting about that is almost no retailer cares who their customers are in a true sense, as long as they have a sufficient number of customers that buy a sufficient number of goods/services from them. Because it's the cool/caring thing to do, retailers bang on about how important their customers are to them. Of course, that's true from a 'staying in business' perspective. However, does the retailer really care if the customer is you, me or tom thumb? Nope.

Take a memorabilia / collectible show on IW as an example. In a given hour, would they rather sell 1 x football shirt to a church-going tree-hugging regular IW customer, or 20 x football shirts to ex-football casuals who maybe even still have some questionable traits? Does the car salesperson want to sell 1 x car to a priest or 5 x cars to cage-fighting 'on the police radar' thug types. Do I need to give you 3 guesses ... ;)

If anyone genuinely thinks IW cares about them as an individual, they're at best deluded.

Two minutes into the show and for Peter Simon on IW today he's already lying. :rolleyes:

On the compost or compAst as Simon calls it - " it cannot be bought anywhere else"

Yes it can, either at You Garden's marketplace store on Amazon or direct from You Gardens own web site (You Gardens are the folks that fullfills all of IW's Garden Bargains orders)

I think what's interesting about that is almost no retailer cares who their customers are in a true sense, as long as they have a sufficient number of customers that buy a sufficient number of goods/services from them. Because it's the cool/caring thing to do, retailers bang on about how important their customers are to them. Of course, that's true from a 'staying in business' perspective. However, does the retailer really care if the customer is you, me or tom thumb? Nope.

Take a memorabilia / collectible show on IW as an example. In a given hour, would they rather sell 1 x football shirt to a church-going tree-hugging regular IW customer, or 20 x football shirts to ex-football casuals who maybe even still have some questionable traits? Does the car salesperson want to sell 1 x car to a priest or 5 x cars to cage-fighting 'on the police radar' thug types. Do I need to give you 3 guesses ... ;)

If anyone genuinely thinks IW cares about them as an individual, they're at best deluded.

I agree retailers don't care who their customers are, as long as they get customers, but some retailers do treat their customers with a bit of respect/manners/honesty etc when they are purchasing, treat the customer right and more likely to come back, rather than IW approach where viewers are just another mug to con out of their money. ;):ROFLMAO:

On gardening, can I just say that IW have improved on their plants big time. I've had some real bargains with free postage and the plants have been really good. If you get a bad lot you just email Garden Bargains and they send out another lot no questions asked. The compost, however, is nowhere near as good as it used to be, tons of sticks and stones.

Two minutes into the show and for Peter Simon on IW today he's already lying. :rolleyes:

On the compost or compAst as Simon calls it - " it cannot be bought anywhere else"

Yes it can, either at You Garden's marketplace store on Amazon or direct from You Gardens own web site (You Gardens are the folks that fullfills all of IW's Garden Bargains orders)
Interesting. I assumed the compost was unbranded and in plain bags because it came from the tip at Peterborough, and they were just selling it on.

I do wish they would not show the film clip if the compost pouring out of someones hand it is clearly not the compost they are selling or certainly does not look like it and as for P Simon rabbiting on yesterday about never ever seeing hardy gerberas before i am sure he was around when the were selling them before.

My dad bought some he described at nothing special

Richard Jacksons website has compost at £8.99 for 40L with flower power in it.

Who would want a fake rattan rocking chair set at £499? when you can but two very similar chairs and a table on ebay for £300 when buying separately.
Apparently Creepie Crawley said it was living room luxury for the garden :ROFLMAO:
Your post is spooky as I was going to post about this very point yesterday! I'm not saying there's no truth to it, however I had to laugh a few days ago when I caught them saying 'look up the benefits of rocking' my goodness they'll pull anything out the bag to try and get a sale :)

Latest posts

Back