Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I think one telling factor is the link i posted, £1860 the guy is selling for (for us would be duty on that but still under £2,500), it's in good condition from the pics, if the watch was an £18,000 watch and only 10 made as Peter Simon says, I highly doubt it would be sold at 10% of it's original value. Ok not all watches keep their value, but when you get away from a lot of the affordable throw away type watches then you would be expect more than 10% of the original price, especially if it's in very good condition.
I agree - a 90% depreciation isn't realistic, and the second-hand value far more accurately enables a calculation of the true 'new' value than IW's comedy prices do.

Complain to the ASA - the more people do this, the more pressure will build on the company to moderate their deceitfulness. It worked for those other shysters - Bid TV.

There are also too many examples of things being described as 'gold' or 'silver' when they are coloured base metal (i.e. not even plated) - Ms Jacks was describing a pendant as 'gold', and I've heard Peter misdescribe what an item is made of more than once. Like the example you give, they do it because they can get away with it without consequence.

The trick of using a single flexipay instalment in lieu of the full cost: 'Yours for £15....(on three flexis and your P&P)' is a particularly egregious example of their general deceitfulness and I think they're skating on thin ice with it. They're getting too close to entirely 'forgetting' to mention the instalment element of it, for obvious reasons.

I've complained a couple of times and been told IW have assured ASA won't happen again, yet they are still miss-selling one of the items in one of my complaints, ASA are seriously lacking teeth or the will to use them.

I personally think it so bad that OFCOM should actually be threatening to take the channel off air unless they clean up their act, every single presenter and most of the resident faux pretendy experts are guilty of either lying or giving highly misleading & inaccurate information on a daily basis, they are getting away with fraudulent behavior.

Sad thing is, that there is really no reason for their behaviour, most of their stuff would sell if they just gave an honest sales show, they sell a lot of decent enough products at decent prices, ok some products would take a hit, especially where they have over exaggerated the quality, but i would imagine most of their staple products would sell ok.

Last edited:
Complain to the ASA - the more people do this, the more pressure will build on the company to moderate their deceitfulness. It worked for those other shysters - Bid TV.

There are also too many examples of things being described as 'gold' or 'silver' when they are coloured base metal (i.e. not even plated) - Ms Jacks was describing a pendant as 'gold', and I've heard Peter misdescribe what an item is made of more than once. Like the example you give, they do it because they can get away with it without consequence.

The trick of using a single flexipay instalment in lieu of the full cost: 'Yours for £15....(on three flexis and your P&P)' is a particularly egregious example of their general deceitfulness and I think they're skating on thin ice with it. They're getting too close to entirely 'forgetting' to mention the instalment element of it, for obvious reasons.
I did - twice. He's still doing it.

I agree - a 90% depreciation isn't realistic, and the second-hand value far more accurately enables a calculation of the true 'new' value than IW's comedy prices do.

Yea, 90% is way to much for a decent/good quality watchmaker, heck even Swan & Edgar could probable scrape a bit more than 10% on resale. ;):ROFLMAO:

So many claims that they would prove hard to justify if called to do so. The RRPS game on watches. Giving a false verbal impression of full costs on instalments options. Down to single figures stock levels quotes to encourage buying. But how many did they have in the first place? Failing to point out reborn brand names have no connection with the originals. Oh, you could go on. I gave up on the ASA a long time ago, and so it seems, have IW.

So many claims that they would prove hard to justify if called to do so. The RRPS game on watches. Giving a false verbal impression of full costs on instalments options. Down to single figures stock levels quotes to encourage buying. But how many did they have in the first place? Failing to point out reborn brand names have no connection with the originals. Oh, you could go on. I gave up on the ASA a long time ago, and so it seems, have IW.
Very sad state of affairs, isn't it. And clearly IW know this, hence the now endemic disregard and flouting of the rules.
I personally think it so bad that OFCOM should actually be threatening to take the channel off air unless they clean up their act, every single presenter and most of the resident faux pretendy experts are guilty of either lying or giving highly misleading & inaccurate information on a daily basis, they are getting away with fraudulent behavior.
Couldn't agree more. And maybe their time will come. I don't know how much of a role the ASA's referral of Bid TV to Ofcom played in the collapse of that company, but it can hardly have helped - just from an investor confidence point of view. Maybe a similar referral of IW might make the guys at Aurelius Sit Up and take notice (see what I did there...)

The only difference i can see with the other Buran models is this one has diamonds and the others don't, and for the life of me can't see the Diamonds adding over £10,000 -£15,000 to the RRP value that the other Burans have. Although don't know a lot about Buran and certainly know sod all about diamonds. ;):ROFLMAO:

The Buran flagman is a similar specs watch, but no diamonds it sells for around £3,000 including duty, would diamonds add another £3,000 to the retail price that IW are asking? Need a diamond expert on the forum to tell us.

I think one telling factor is the link i posted, £1860 the guy is selling for (for us would be duty on that but still under £2,500), it's in good condition from the pics, if the watch was an £18,000 watch and only 10 made as Peter Simon says, I highly doubt it would be sold at 10% of it's original value. Ok not all watches keep their value, but when you get away from a lot of the affordable throw away type watches then you would be expect more than 10% of the original price, especially if it's in very good condition.
Like you I know little about diamonds. However, let's apply a little logic ... not selly telly inflated logic but real, balanced logic! When you hop on to channels like TJC they sell jewelry that contains, they tell us, top grade diamonds sometimes in quite significant amounts within one piece. Much of this (bracelets, necklaces, rings etc) seems to sell in the hundreds, not the thousands. So I reckon, unless they're uber rare and highly sought after, it would be generous to say the diamonds are worth maybe another thousand at most.

It's the Wellco 3 in 1 air conditioner unit. The one with the monstrosity of a huge hose laying down behind it on the studio floor. You know..the one they fail to mention is even there, - let alone what you have to do with it. Unless, of course, they are selling fans as a reason not to buy air conditioning units.

OH. GOD. Just now when talking about a Rolly Dolly watch, Peter Simon described Mathey-Tissot as an 'archaic institution', causing Kevin Reynolds to do one of the loudest spontaneous gasps of air I've ever heard on TV. Simon Peters went on to say that it's because Mathey-Tissot are 'set in their ways', presumably meaning they're a watchmaker using traditional methods but done in an incredibly unflattering manner.

OH. GOD. Just now when talking about a Rolly Dolly watch, Peter Simon described Mathey-Tissot as an 'archaic institution', causing Kevin Reynolds to do one of the loudest spontaneous gasps of air I've ever heard on TV. Simon Peters went on to say that it's because Mathey-Tissot are 'set in their ways', presumably meaning they're a watchmaker using traditional methods but done in an incredibly unflattering manner.
Peter Simon is really quite thick at times, plus he has a very poor grasp of the English language and regularly uses malapropisms and, actually, just the wrong word.

Buran watches are owned by ' presidents and kings and queens' according to Peter.
He and Kevin then describe a scene at a dinner party where one man is wearing a Rolex , another a Patek Phillipe, another an Audemars Piguet.
You enter wearing your Buran, and everyone wants to handle and inspect it.
At the end of the watch show Peter is back huffing and puffing on the vibrapower in his shorts , and the t-shirt with the stain on it.

Peter Simon is really quite thick at times, plus he has a very poor grasp of the English language and regularly uses malapropisms and, actually, just the wrong word.
He’s thick and uninterested which is why no helpful details of anything he sells is shared. It’s all wonderful and amazing and first leathers and this and that….all meaningless twaddle no matter what he’s selling.

He just wants as many sales as he can get and get off.

He’s thick and uninterested which is why no helpful details of anything he sells is shared. It’s all wonderful and amazing and first leathers and this and that….all meaningless twaddle no matter what he’s selling.

He just wants as many sales as he can get and get off.

I laughed at Reynolds saying we've taken the viewers on a journey since being on IW, learning about movements, cases, straps etc and now dials.

Trust me Kev, i can honestly say, I've learned sod about watches from Ideal World, but I have learned one thing, that is Ideal World are probably the most misleading and deceitful retailer of watches in the UK.

I laughed at Reynolds saying we've taken the viewers on a journey since being on IW, learning about movements, cases, straps etc and now dials.

Trust me Kev, i can honestly say, I've learned sod about watches from Ideal World, but I have learned one thing, that is Ideal World are probably the most misleading and deceitful retailer of watches in the UK.
Especially seeing this watch reappear again. Can't recall the full details in relation to when it was first presented but almost certainly they would have said something along the lines of being a limited edition, once it had sold out there's NO WAY IT WOULD EVER APPEAR AGAIN ON IDEAL WORLD.

But now...BACK IN STOCK.

Snapshot 1 (15-06-2021 00-09).png

Based on this and other evidence, I wouldn't even buy a pillowcase from them let alone a £600+ watch.

Buran watches are owned by ' presidents and kings and queens' according to Peter.
He and Kevin then describe a scene at a dinner party where one man is wearing a Rolex , another a Patek Phillipe, another an Audemars Piguet.
You enter wearing your Buran, and everyone wants to handle and inspect it.
At the end of the watch show Peter is back huffing and puffing on the vibrapower in his shorts , and the t-shirt with the stain on it.
He was doing the treadmill after another show the other day but didn’t change clothes. All you could hear was his shoes clonking on the thing, very annoying.

Probably had a few drags on his fag between shows instead.

Just heard PS say "Kevin and I have been working on tv together showing watches for nigh on 32 years"
what a load of :poop:
I can only assume that one of the IW watch range was used to time this. “We’ve been working together now for fifteen years, no twenty-three years, no four and a half minutes.“ (watch hands fall off in the background)

Latest posts

Back