Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

The Fields are not watchmakers, just con artists.
They work more like fashion brands, ie they don't actual make or assemble their own watches, they get watches with their names on the dials made for them by some Chinese watch supplier. they'll have gone to somewhere like HKTDC Sourcing and searched for watches and suppliers. Oh and anyone can have their own watch (or any other product) made up with their own brand name, just need to be able to buy a minimum quantity and your off and running.

Daddy fields was never a watchmaker, he's been involved in supplying Chinese watches under made up name brands for years. He was involved with Klaus Kobec (the football watches), fell out with a fellow director and left, ended up in a dispute about who owned the trademark with the director of Klaus Kobec and the legal battle costs ended up putting Klaus Kobec out of business. He's been a Director of 47 companies at one time or another, only four still survive, the other 43 have been dissolved.
Between 2010 and 2014 he (and another director) weren't allowed to be a Director of any company, his punishment for being involved in a dodgy loan dealing so they could avoid having to pay £500,000 of corporation tax.
At the moment he's down as being a Director at Swiss Watches Worldwide, registered in 2018, same address as Fields Luxury ltd, but they don't seem to have done trading yet.
When I was still travelling for work, there was a big hotel just off the A5 in Hinkley, that was used by salespeople and firms for conferences mainly. The hotel (I forget the name, but it always did well, so I bet it’s still there) had loads of display cases all down a long corridor, all stuffed full of Klaus Kobec and Zeitner watches (which, I think, were under the sane ownership). The sales model at that time (and this must be 20 years ago now) was exactly the same as IW are using now - quote a massive RRP, but also offer a permanent and quite ludicrous reduction. The goal in the hotel’s case was to try to convince the drunk salesperson that he (20 years ago, the salespeople were generally all men) could win brownie points by buying his partner (or his secretary) a watch as a peace offering (or a gift). The hotel got commission, just like (I assume) IW. Reductions were silly- usually from around £500 to around £99, or even to £49.
The watches themselves were fine - stock ETA quartz mechanisms - but they were very clearly £99 watches. The one thing they always did well was the presentation - wooden boxes, supplied cleaning cloths, lots of bling but no inherent value (crystals round the dial to look like precious stones, coloured painted dials to look like enamel, etc.)
So here we are, 20 years later and a former director of Klaus Kobec sells watches on Ideal World, with a very high RRP, at a massively reduced price that seems much more likely to be somewhere closer to a true value (though in my opinion still high when you can buy the same watch with a different name on it much cheaper via Ali Express).
Like you, I just can’t see how that makes the Kobec director a part of 4 generations of watchmakers.
Then I hear tales of how ‘their’ designers worked for ever on the dial. I hear garbled stories of British history that even mix up WW1 and WW2. I look at the strangely non-working complications their watches have - always a favourite with the cheaper end of the Chinese bulk watch suppliers (chrono buttons that actually adjust the date, tachometer dials that appear on non-chronographs etc etc) and it feels to me that ‘look’ matters much more to this company than quality or functionality. And if I was right about all of that, and look does matter more to the seller than quality or functionality, then you might well be advised by that seller to tell your friends this is a £900 watch, because a selly-telly salesperson said you should, and lying to friends is something they seem to be advising you to do.
And they wonder why we see them as shady salespeople? Sheesh!!
Sorry if I went on a bit, there!

Last edited:
When I was still travelling for work, there was a big hotel just off the A5 in Hinkley, that was used by salespeople and firms for conferences mainly. The hotel (I forget the name, but it always did well, so I bet it’s still there) had loads of display cases all down a long corridor, all stuffed full of Klaus Kobec and Zeitner watches (which, I think, were under the sane ownership). The sales model at that time (and this must be 20 years ago now) was exactly the same as IW are using now - quote a massive RRP, but also offer a permanent and quite ludicrous reduction. The goal in the hotel’s case was to try to convince the drunk salesperson that he (20 years ago, the salespeople were generally all men) could win brownie points by buying his partner (or his secretary) a watch as a peace offering (or a gift). The hotel got commission, just like (I assume) IW. Reductions were silly- usually from around £500 to around £99, or even to £49.
The watches themselves were fine - stock ETA quartz mechanisms - but they were very clearly £99 watches. The one thing they always did well was the presentation - wooden boxes, supplied cleaning cloths, lots of bling but no inherent value (crystals round the dial to look like precious stones, coloured painted dials to look like enamel, etc.)
So here we are, 20 years later and a former director of Klaus Kobec sells watches on Ideal World, with a very high RRP, at a massively reduced price that seems much more likely to be somewhere closer to a true value (though in my opinion still high when you can buy the same watch with a different name on it much cheaper via Ali Express).
Like you, I just can’t see how that makes the Kobec director a part of 4 generations of watchmakers.
Then I hear tales of how ‘their’ designers worked for ever on the dial. I hear garbled stories of British history that even mix up WW1 and WW2. I look at the strangely non-working complications their watches have - always a favourite with the cheaper end of the Chinese bulk watch suppliers (chrono buttons that actually adjust the date, tachometer dials that appear on non-chronographs etc etc) and it feels to me that ‘look’ matters much more to this company than quality or functionality. And if I was right about all of that, and look does matter more to the seller than quality or functionality, then you might well be advised by that seller to tell your friends this is a £900 watch, because a selly-telly salesperson said you should, and lying to friends is something they seem to be advising you to do.
Great post!

As Cheeky said , great post. (y)
100% agree with you, for some strange reason, according to IW presenters and brand guests, big, brash, blingy, cluttered dials, extremely heavy & prices reduced from ridiculously high fake RRPs seems to be what makes a watch a quality item, quality of materials, brand quality control, style and functionality means very little, and that is exactly what IW is trying to convey to potential customers.
And IMO, most of these watches with the alleged "look" are god damn ugly.
Sometimes there is a place for some of these traits on a watch, especially in a sporty watch, big and rugged with extra dial (chrono sub dials)and bezel features, but the big difference is on say Swan & Edgar watches these traits are there purely for show (and they make a poor job of it at that), whereas when used in more reputable brands these traits are fully functional and have a purpose.
Now as we've all said a heap of times, if folks like the watches and they are fully aware of what they are actually getting, then fine, it's their money, but the big problem here is they are not being made fully aware of what they are buying, most watch shows on IW are just one big con job, lies & misinformation about brand's history, heritage & location and the over the top exaggeration of quality of the watches and the total fabrication of the monetary value these watches have or should be.

Now, while there are some nice good quality watches on IW from good reputable watchmakers, some i would own myself, even their guest representatives are guilty, to a lesser degree, of these underhand behaviour traits exhibited by the out and out con artist guests of the pretendy watchmaking brands or fake history/heritage brands (from now on I going to call them the "ABC" brands, from/made "Anywhere But China"). ;)

Last couple of mornings create and craft, have had a woman from behind the cameras presenting, must be low on staff holidays etc.

The only thing is her presenting style was brilliant, items sold out, thing is they will probably use her on air more, and before we know it, a bit like Jess Woods, she will be spouting Rubbish

Well he's on now with Roamer and another story teller 😎

Missed the start, just tuned in.

Mason responding to the guest saying Roamer isn't as well known as a lot of other Swiss brands and says he's knows of Roamer and he's a fan of Roamer but hasn't seen the Searock before. :eek:

What!!! he's knows about and is a fan of Roamer but hasn't seen a Searock before, that one of the things that Roamer are best known for, the Searock, the old vintage Stingray and their MST movements they used to make. If he hasn't seen a Searock before then he doesn't really know about or can be a fan of Roamer. ;)

He said he buys all his watches from IW and yet his new wife works in a very nice jewellers.

The watches HE buys may be from IW, probably because he gets freebies or discounts, but the watch he wears 90% of the time is certainly not from IW, according to him his Seamaster was a present from his wife, she obviously has better taste, so she probably got staff discount at her work for that.

He’s back on now, I wonder how many times he mentions the goddess and says everyTHINK, funny how they don’t mention delorean is nothing to do with the defunct car company or even what Chinese movements are in the watches. Personally I think the delorean watches are garish and butt ugly. I’ll hazard a guess they are made in the same factory in China as gamages/swan and Edgar with the cheap 163 part movement you can buy for under a fiver.

Latest posts

Back