Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

During the lockdown, I bought a couple of Tissot watches, online, from Watches of Switzerland. Ironically, both had Milanese straps, both used the ETA 2834, and both were - exactly £299. Sapphire glass back and front, applied batons, enamel dials (One coBalt blue, one silver).
As you say, Hamilton - or Tissot - are more obvious comparators to Gevril than Omega, and if you choose carefully (TKMaxx also often has good online prices on both Hamilton and Tissot - and you can have a good laugh at the TKMaxx Swan and Edgar prices while you browse), then you can have either for a great deal less than Crawley was implying.

I just feel so sorry for anyone taken in by the IW brands into trying to build a collection. Most of their brands’ output, I would expect, won’t make it past their first service. That is, of course, if you can find anyone willing to service them.
Aside from anything else, they need a good waterproofing to survive the Peter Simon spluttering and spitting treatment!

TKmaxx are good for finding an odd good watch bargain, I picked up my Eterna 1939 reissue from them, was only £499.

Yeah totally agree, Hamilton, Tissot, Certina etc are all fairer comparisons to make, but i've noticed they do that all the time, they always try, or say they're not really comparing but, they always mention high end luxury watches, they never mention or compare with the everyday Swiss brands or even the cheaper ones like Wenger, Mondaine etc.

TKmaxx are good for finding an odd good watch bargain, I picked up my Eterna 1939 reissue from them, was only £499.

Yeah totally agree, Hamilton, Tissot, Certina etc are all fairer comparisons to make, but i've noticed they do that all the time, they always try, or say they're not really comparing but, they always mention high end luxury watches, they never mention or compare with the everyday Swiss brands or even the cheaper ones like Wenger, Mondaine etc.
I had a Tissot but fitted it with a Flexofix strap (very flexible and stretchy), then lost the watch while sledging in snow, it must have been flung off my wrist. Always regretted this, and it was a 21st birthday present.

Fixoflex strap .jpg

There'll be a fancy sales technique name for what they do i.e. linking what they're selling to products that cost a lot more. Of course it's to subconsciously plant that seed in the viewers mind of what a bargain they're getting and that the product they're buying is 'like' the more expensive one. IW do it with the watches and most other stuff, the likes of TJC also love showing viewers a 'not direct comparison' example that costs thousands more than the £39.99 ring they're flogging ;)

Our drone has features you'd find in drones costing £800, £900, £1000!!!

So what?!? It means almost NOTHING. Blah blah blah, guff guff guff.

Shona and Alex flogging Dormeo.

Shona on the Memosan, Anatomic pillow – “£25 saving on this incredible Anatomic pillow, why Anatomic, because you can see it’s got these different shapes here depending on how you sleep. If you sleep on your back you’re probably going to want the lower profile, if you sleep on your side, obviously the space between your head and shoulders is going to be deeper, you’re probably going to want the deeper profile. £3.75 in your flexi basket, absolutely brilliant, brilliant deals we have got for you.”

Wait these pillows look familiar, oh I remember now, these are the pillows that Shona and Alex feature in the MY Pillow and GX Pillow shows, they both throw them on the floor as, according to them they are useless to 70% of the population as our necks are the wrong size for it. Very strange Shona & Alex didn’t mention that negative fact during this show. :rolleyes:

Obviously there was no throwing of pillows on the floor tonight. ;):ROFLMAO:

I had a Tissot but fitted it with a Flexofix strap (very flexible and stretchy), then lost the watch while sledging in snow, it must have been flung off my wrist. Always regretted this, and it was a 21st birthday present.

View attachment 22046

That's sad to hear, when things like this happen to special or sentimental items that regret stays with you, something you never forget. :(

I've quite a big collection and like all my watches but if I needed money in emergency would sell most of them, but there are seven watches in my collection, which are nowhere near the most expensive, but were gifts for special occasions, special birthdays, retirement etc and no way would i sell them under any circumstances and would be very, very disappointed if anything happened to them, the sentimental value far exceeds any monetary value.

Shona and Alex flogging Dormeo.

Shona on the Memosan, Anatomic pillow – “£25 saving on this incredible Anatomic pillow, why Anatomic, because you can see it’s got these different shapes here depending on how you sleep. If you sleep on your back you’re probably going to want the lower profile, if you sleep on your side, obviously the space between your head and shoulders is going to be deeper, you’re probably going to want the deeper profile. £3.75 in your flexi basket, absolutely brilliant, brilliant deals we have got for you.”

Wait these pillows look familiar, oh I remember now, these are the pillows that Shona and Alex feature in the MY Pillow and GX Pillow shows, they both throw them on the floor as, according to them they are useless to 70% of the population as our necks are the wrong size for it. Very strange Shona & Alex didn’t mention that negative fact during this show. :rolleyes:

Obviously there was no throwing of pillows on the floor tonight. ;):ROFLMAO:
Oh how I love being lectured at about the scientific aspects of sleep ... from a bunch of brand ambassadors and selly telly presenters ;)

All four corners is on.
Oh how I love being lectured at about the scientific aspects of sleep ... from a bunch of brand ambassadors and selly telly presenters ;)

Sally takes the biscuit for lecturing on every eating and health issue under the sun, yet all this great advice she hands out doesn't seem to have done her much good.

On the other pair, the thing is neither of them is qualified to claim to be Interiors Experts.

And I'm convinced they are not actually brand ambassadors; think they are just faux interiors expert pretending to be ambassadors. To me a Brand Ambassador is someone that is actually working, whether employed or freelance, for the brand directly.

Shona's background is in acting, musical theatre/orchestra etc, oh and as a TV presenter here and there. Shona actually has two jobs at Ideal, one she is a freelance TV presenter working for Ideal Shopping Direct (They are the main company behind Ideal World, Ideal Home Shopping is one of their brands) and the other is when she puts her expert hat on and is Guest Presenter working for Ideal World Home Shopping. No mention of working freelance for any brand.

Alex, well he’s a strange one, started working in media after Uni for a couple of years, but then worked (still does) as a senior consultant for a managerial recruitment firm (quite a few Knowles in the business so think it was originally a family business), the last year or so has worked freelance as a guest presenter for Ideal World Home Shopping, and again no mention of working freelance for any brand.

Caprice with Mike Mason was a interesting watch last night.

So say selling her own bedding range, but she was wearing a blue dress, and when she was stood my eyes were attracted to her legs, more than the bedding

Great customer relations…..rightly lost an order, idiots

I purchased a folding treadmill while…

I purchased a folding treadmill while watching the tv channel, it advertised an extra discount for the bank holiday weekend. The presenter said we have been informed there is a problem on the website if you try and order this item its not showing the extra discount. We are aware of this issue, go ahead and we will refund this amount. I completed the order and the full price was charged, I queried this and was told to provide a screenshot (I didn't have this as it was advertised on TV). I was told that the full price would be charged, I appealed and was told they would have to check with head office. The price was not honoured even though this must have been watched by loads of people. I refused the delivery and cancelled the order

I don't normally watch the watch shows as I'm not a collector and not up to speed with the technical terms but I dip in now and again for a laugh at the guff they spout. However, the IW crew look like master horologists compared to over on TV Warehouse on 676.

They've dug up DJ Mike Read and given him a new pair of teeth and a shiny blue suit and hidden his UKIP rosette. They've promoted him from flogging unsigned black and white photo prints a few months ago and now he's selling luxury high end timepieces for under a hundred quid.

His technical knowledge is superb with such gems as "Look at that lovely strap" and his hilarious jokes "This watch is guaranteed shark proof. And to prove it, I walked around Central London wearing it for three days and didn't see one shark".

They're somehow even seedier than IW by selling a watch for £89 "but it should be worth thousands" and giving you a free pen "worth £70". Mike recommends buying loads to give to friends telling them they cost thousands of pounds "Because that's what I'm going to do!" Of course you are Mike. Because your best buddies Sir Cliff and **** Face Farage would fall for that load of shite!

Car Shark time again.

Alan "another bastion of truth" Ennis - "Now as you know folks you have a few different types of waterless wash wax you can choose from of course, but i will tell you this , the price of this one is extraordinary, and secondly of all of the waterless wash waxes i've used over the years, this one buffs up much easier and genuinely better than anything else before."

Well Alan, that's strange, as you've used Williams, Top Gear, which are made by Assured Products and they license those brand names to put on the product, and low and behold Car Shark is made by Assured products as well, but instead of it being a licensed branded product, they've taken the same waterless wax that is in Williams and Top Gear and started selling it under their own brand name as well. And Assured products even state themselves that they use the EXACT Same formula that is used for the Williams but using their own brand to sell at an even more competitive price, as they obviouslt won't have to pay Williams and Top Gear to use their brand names.

So in conclusion Alan, it's impossible for it "buffs up much easier and genuinely better" as it's the exact same stuff as you used before. :rolleyes:

PS

I didn't include the Renault version as that is genuinely different from the others as it was a superior product, as it also contained Hydrolex.

I don't normally watch the watch shows as I'm not a collector and not up to speed with the technical terms but I dip in now and again for a laugh at the guff they spout. However, the IW crew look like master horologists compared to over on TV Warehouse on 676.

They've dug up DJ Mike Read and given him a new pair of teeth and a shiny blue suit and hidden his UKIP rosette. They've promoted him from flogging unsigned black and white photo prints a few months ago and now he's selling luxury high end timepieces for under a hundred quid.

His technical knowledge is superb with such gems as "Look at that lovely strap" and his hilarious jokes "This watch is guaranteed shark proof. And to prove it, I walked around Central London wearing it for three days and didn't see one shark".

They're somehow even seedier than IW by selling a watch for £89 "but it should be worth thousands" and giving you a free pen "worth £70". Mike recommends buying loads to give to friends telling them they cost thousands of pounds "Because that's what I'm going to do!" Of course you are Mike. Because your best buddies Sir Cliff and **** Face Farage would fall for that load of shite!

They used to have that V channel on there a while back, was on at 10pm, but they came from the States, they sold some decent watches but the presenters we're just clueless con artists as well, spouting the same over the top nonsense.

Didn't see the watches you are talking about but the few on the TV Warehouse web site are just the cheaper end, dirt cheap Ali Express brands, Curren, CRRJU and Forsining, even Swan & Edgar are a step up from them. ;):ROFLMAO:

They used to have that V channel on there a while back, was on at 10pm, but they came from the States, they sold some decent watches but the presenters we're just clueless con artists as well, spouting the same over the top nonsense.

Didn't see the watches you are talking about but the few on the TV Warehouse web site are just the cheaper end, dirt cheap Ali Express brands, Curren, CRRJU and Forsining, even Swan & Edgar are a step up from them. ;):ROFLMAO:
I used to be obsessed watching the V Channel. The Watch Commander guy who presented the shows (and owned both the tv company and watch manufacturer) was such a shyster that I wanted to put my foot through the screen, but you could tell how he drew gullible viewers in. Strange that he disappeared from the channel under a mysterious cloud.
The TV Warehouse channel has a dedicated recorded programme at 9pm and the watches are Mann Egerton. Mike Read and the lady presenter are very eager to tell us that Mann Egerton were automotive and aircraft engineers who built chassis for Rolls Royce and wartime ambulances.
They're more shy about letting us know that after a few restructures in the company, they finally went out of business in 1986 so these cheap, Chinese made watches have nothing whatsoever to do with the original company.
What is it about watches that makes shopping telly presenters and demonstrators turn up the bullshit meter even more so than usual?

I used to be obsessed watching the V Channel. The Watch Commander guy who presented the shows (and owned both the tv company and watch manufacturer) was such a shyster that I wanted to put my foot through the screen, but you could tell how he drew gullible viewers in. Strange that he disappeared from the channel under a mysterious cloud.
The TV Warehouse channel has a dedicated recorded programme at 9pm and the watches are Mann Egerton. Mike Read and the lady presenter are very eager to tell us that Mann Egerton were automotive and aircraft engineers who built chassis for Rolls Royce and wartime ambulances.
They're more shy about letting us know that after a few restructures in the company, they finally went out of business in 1986 so these cheap, Chinese made watches have nothing whatsoever to do with the original company.
What is it about watches that makes shopping telly presenters and demonstrators turn up the bullshit meter even more so than usual?
Yes more utter shite🤭 is this what Mike Reid has been reduced to?🤨

Mann Egerton? I've heard of them years ago as being the name of a new car dealership.

Anyway, when was the last time Ideal World and Ideal Extra were both selling exactly the same product at the same time as they were doing for 45 minutes at 7.30pm this evening? Therefore you had the choice of Mike Mason on Ideal World or Shreque on Ideal Extra - Ideal World it is then - selling exactly the same eLife electric bikes in exactly the same colours at exactly the same prices at exactly the same time so they must have had lots of stock left over to shift (so much for "Limited stock of the grey" then).

Also laughing at the assistant on Ideal World mentioning the 'superb' paintwork whilst pointing at the head tube where there was some particularly industrial-looking welding (only to be expected on a cheap bike though).

So those Mann Egerton watches on TV warehouse at the moment, it's just another brand the Fields family have started up using the name of an old defunct company, like a clone of Swan & Edgar and Gamages. Same crap watches and exact same crap about the watches being spouted by the presenters, they've obviously been given a script from the Fields, Reid said the watch looks like it worth thousands. :ROFLMAO:

So the Fields have their watches on three shopping telly channels now.

TJC - Gamages

TV Warehouse - Mann Egerton

IW - Swan & Edgar

And all three channels are spouting misleading info and outright lies.

So much for shopping telly being regulated by ASA and OFCOM. :ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Back