Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Sorry I need to say this again, caught some of the S&E show last night with Peter S and the brand guy who looks like an extra from Only Fools & Horses. Those watches look like plastic. They look cheap (yes I know they are but you get what I'm saying, IW would have us believe they're worth hundreds if not more.) And do they not realise, from a brand perspective, it does nothing but cheapen the whole experience by constantly bleating on about £70 free gifts.

Peter S only seems to have one presenting technique when selling watches. Shout, constantly. Mention the words 'automatic' and 'Milanesey' as often as possible. Shout, constantly.

I did laugh when he said 'Trust me on this, right' and I thought 'wouldn't trust you as far as I could throw you' ;)

When folks starts saying, almost pleading, "trust me", "Honestly", "I truly believe" etc etc or claim that giving false claims is not their style or they have integrity, you know they are lying.

Totally agree. If we are completely honest, I’d be a little shocked if it was still going in ten years’ time. None of my Chinese mechanisms is, and our local watchmaker simply said she couldn’t get parts and if she could they would vastly exceed the value of the watch.

I was kinda giving them the benefit of the doubt that it would still be ticking, but yea the chances of it working fine in 10-20 years is pretty small, plus as you say, cost of servicing (if available) would make it uneconomical to service.

I've said before, this is one of my main gripes with IW's watch shows, there is never any mention of servicing or likely costs. When IW are talking about future heirlooms being passed down etc, then all these automatic and quartz watches will need servicing at some point, and they never mention this fact nor that for most of these cheap watches on IW the cost of servicing will more than likely cost more than they paid for the watch, so unless the watch has some real, real sentimental value, it's a bin job.

The dream team is on - Mulberry Ray , and Peter Simon.
If ever there was a case for mandatory retirement these two make it,
They are selling a mattress , what else ?
All the phrases they use for other mattresses ,motion transfer , breathable , pressure points and so on are mindlessly applied to Ray's mattress.
Why did you decide to make it ? asks Peter.
Cos our customers kept asking us to , cos they don't like memory foam replied Ray.
Have you ever asked a manufacturer to make something ? No ? Neither have I.
Peter falls to his hands and knees , shaking with false amazement.
The camera cheekily cuts to Ray staring at Peter , his expression a mixture of pity and disbelief.
This is a classic show , and worthy of a shopping telly award.

In 10-20 years time you'll be lucky to get a tenner for it and i'm being deadly serious here.
There is absolutely nothing special about Gamages watches that are going to increase their value or be worth a collector of older watches being interested in it in the future.
They are just cheap generic Chinese watches, produced for these recently formed shyster brands trying to make a quick killing by taking advantage of the resurgence in interest in watch collecting from uninformed buyers.
At least when you buy them direct from China, they charge you the true value, unlike the low life scum businessmen (actually they don't deserve to be called that, con artists is more appropriate) in this country and West in general, that are just out to rip off customers. ;)
I have to admit that I fell for the hype and bought a Gamages watch from TJC last year for Mr Twirl for Christmas. I opted for the 3 instalments and the first payment was taken immediately.
When the order confirmation email arrived it stated that it would be despatched within 16 days, there was no mention of this at the time of ordering.
After a few days I came to my senses and tried to cancel the order. Calling customer service was a nightmare as I was constantly put on hold but eventually I spoke to someone who admitted that they didn't actually have any in stock at the time of ordering or even at the time of us speaking, but again this was never mentioned before.
I was lucky that they did cancel the order and my money was refunded promptly.
I do wonder if they accept the order and then place their order with Gamages when they know how many they will need. If so why do they have the amount available on screen and the stock level diminishing during the presentation? 🤔

I have to admit that I fell for the hype and bought a Gamages watch from TJC last year for Mr Twirl for Christmas. I opted for the 3 instalments and the first payment was taken immediately.
When the order confirmation email arrived it stated that it would be despatched within 16 days, there was no mention of this at the time of ordering.
After a few days I came to my senses and tried to cancel the order. Calling customer service was a nightmare as I was constantly put on hold but eventually I spoke to someone who admitted that they didn't actually have any in stock at the time of ordering or even at the time of us speaking, but again this was never mentioned before.
I was lucky that they did cancel the order and my money was refunded promptly.
I do wonder if they accept the order and then place their order with Gamages when they know how many they will need. If so why do they have the amount available on screen and the stock level diminishing during the presentation? 🤔

Ok, I would assume when Gamages/Swan & Edgar/Constantin Weisz etc order their watches from China, they have to order a set amount, like a minimum quantity of watches to get the price they want, that's why most of their watches tend to be Limited editions, so when TJC put up a stock quantity, that's probably the max TJC will be receiving/can sell from that consignment of watches that Gamages will be getting from their supplier for any particular watch, so although they don't have in stock they will know the quantity that they will be ordering of that watch etc.

Although they claim to design their watches, in reality they are just picking different options from a catalogue watch parts. There will be a whole range of cases, dials, hands, movements, colours, finishes etc to choose from, bit like mix and match and then have their name and logo put on.

All the phrases they use for other mattresses ,motion transfer , breathable , pressure points and so on are mindlessly applied to Ray's mattress.
Cos our customers kept asking us to , cos they don't like memory foam replied Ray.
The camera cheekily cuts to Ray staring at Peter , his expression a mixture of pity and disbelief.

Was it yesterday he was on with Gen, and I couldn't stop laughing when she was saying how a lot of people didn't want memory foam in their mattress as they complained of getting hot etc, and she said how great it was that mattress had silk and springs and there was no memory foam in it, but he had to tell her there is a layer of memory foam in it and they then swiftly moved on to another topic. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I caught some of the show. Peter kept mentioning it was a traditional sprung mattress but brought up to date. Not strictly speaking a 'traditional' mattress then, is it. At one point, I kid you not, he shouted something like ...

WADDING!
PADDING!!

Eh?!? You mean as can be found in ALL traditional mattresses?!?!? Ha Ha HAaaa.

Yeah, re the bit in bold, I reckon the same is true of the S&E guy. His face when Peter's in full flow says it all :) :) :)

Ok, I would assume when Gamages/Swan & Edgar/Constantin Weisz etc order their watches from China, they have to order a set amount, like a minimum quantity of watches to get the price they want, that's why most of their watches tend to be Limited editions, so when TJC put up a stock quantity, that's probably the max TJC will be receiving/can sell from that consignment of watches that Gamages will be getting from their supplier for any particular watch, so although they don't have in stock they will know the quantity that they will be ordering of that watch etc.

Although they claim to design their watches, in reality they are just picking different options from a catalogue watch parts. There will be a whole range of cases, dials, hands, movements, colours, finishes etc to choose from, bit like mix and match and then have their name and logo put on.
How DARE you suggest such a thing!!!

;)

Haven't Rolex just released a range of Explorers with coloured dials?

Not too sure, but The Oyster perpetual has a new range of colours.

But he's changed his wording on what he said earlier, earlier he kinda implied the 3 Swiss brands were on a waiting list for these coloured dials, but then he changed it so that it's new customers for those brands, and not the brands themselves, who'll be on a waiting list, which is normal for their watches anyway.

Kev keeps mentioning his warehouse, does he mean his kitchen?🤔😂

The registered address for his company is 249 Cranbrook Rd, Ilford IG1 4TG. Looks like small suites of offices that are shared with others. think his warehouse is the basement. ;)

In the last accounts the number of employees, including him, was 2, so would assume his wife is the second employee.

His son's company is also registered at that address.

Latest posts

Back