Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

My Hyperchrome says what about me? I'm way dressier than those guys. :ROFLMAO:
Rado hyperchrome has bits of everything in the range (diamonds, ceramics, leather, steel - the whole works) - but there are some very cool colour dials. Rado wanted something that could be both sporty AND dressy in the Hyperchrome range.
The Ash Barty has a really nice blue dial (looks to be enamel which I love - if it is) and only 36mm case size which I much prefer, but it’s small by Ideal World standards!

Well spotted, Hammy! I think we’ve all wondered how they get away with inaccurate claims like this, but you’ve hit the nail on the head.

Earnshaw are always cagey about saying which Chinese movement they use in which watch, but I’m pretty sure this is a Seagull ST1612, which you can buy direct from Seagull in China for $35 - a wholesale order such as Earnshaw would place will come in very greatly cheaper than that.

I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't actually buy from Seagull or PTS direct, but got some other movement maker in China that makes their version/clone of the ST1612 or DG2813. I remember a guy on youtube, he was investigating getting your own watches made for selling, he was doing a tour of some premises, looked like a back street factory, a dump with very little quality control and was shown different styles of watches being assembled for other customers and low and behold the women were assembling AVI-8 watches.
I wonder if sales of their CCCP brand are down and they're stuck with loads of movements and are using them in their other brands. Although they, Earnshaw, CCCP, Duxot, Nubeo, AVI-8, etc, pretend to be all separate brands/watchmakers they'll all be made and coming from the same place.:unsure:

Rado hyperchrome has bits of everything in the range (diamonds, ceramics, leather, steel - the whole works) - but there are some very cool colour dials. Rado wanted something that could be both sporty AND dressy in the Hyperchrome range.
The Ash Barty has a really nice blue dial (looks to be enamel which I love - if it is) and only 36mm case size which I much prefer, but it’s small by Ideal World standards!

That's nice, but not a diamonds person, would be better without the diamonds. I've a 39mm automatic version (well 38.7 to be exact).
At a good price just now.

I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't actually buy from Seagull or PTS direct, but got some other movement maker in China that makes their version/clone of the ST1612 or DG2813. I remember a guy on youtube, he was investigating getting your own watches made for selling, he was doing a tour of some premises, looked like a back street factory, a dump with very little quality control and was shown different styles of watches being assembled for other customers and low and behold the women were assembling AVI-8 watches.
I wonder if sales of their CCCP brand are down and they're stuck with loads of movements and are using them in their other brands. Although they, Earnshaw, CCCP, Duxot, Nubeo, AVI-8, etc, pretend to be all separate brands/watchmakers they'll all be made and coming from the same place.:unsure:
It wouldn’t surprise me!
It’s a bit like a dog with fleas. When you look under a microscope, the fleas have their own fleas (or parasites) on them, and so on….
Sea Gull may have been one of the first to have made it to the West, but they are now quite ’respectable’ (as Chinese watch makers go), so clones of clones are entirely possible. And I’m pretty sure I once worked on one. I was fixing an old Chinese DG3806EB-D for a customer a year or so ago (the one with the day/night indicator, and I’m certain it was a clone - it had shims (and fingerprints and hairs) all over the place, and Sea Gull aren’t normally too badly made…and I’m fairly certain the case back hadn’t been opened before. I’ve only ever seen shims in a mechanism once before - in a badly re-assembled (Poljot) 3133 which is normally as tough as old boots.
Surely CCCP sales will be down- for years they pretended to have the Russian connection and given recent events it must be hard for them to now tell the truth about where they are made.
I think you said earlier that Kevski is now playing on his Lithuanian story for Vostok as well, which is no surprise. Like you, I’m amazed how little Kevin seems to know about the business.

That's nice, but not a diamonds person, would be better without the diamonds. I've a 39mm automatic version (well 38.7 to be exact).
At a good price just now.

htt [QUOTE="Hammy60, post: 1072148,...watch-hyperchrome-automatic-r32115113[/QUOTE]

ps://www.jurawatches.co.uk/collections/rado-watches/products/rado-watch-hyperchrome-automatic-r32115113[/URL]
That’s an amazing price - basically an automatic at a quartz price.
And a great size, IMO. I’m ok up to 40mm but larger than that looks a bit too big. And up to 11-12mm thick but not much more.
A friend of mine once had the IWC perpetual calendar (not the portugesier one) and it looked like a top hat on his wrist!) Based on a 7750, of course. I think there’s a lot of smoke and mirrors about how much extra finishing is actually done by some micro brands (IWC being the exception, perhaps) - at one time you could order almost anything direct from ETA with regard to fine finishing.

Great Rado, anyway. I might have to get saving again!

Why so many brands? I just don’t get it. Why don’t they just focus on say, four or five regulars, rather than 30 plus?
Because they want to extract as much £££ from punters as they possibly can. Bear in mind they're not selling to watch connoisseurs as such. As part of their patter, they refer to their watch show viewers as experts/connoisseurs, however with no disrespect many (most?) of them can't be. Otherwise they wouldn't be buying many of the watches IW sells. I know diddly squat about watches and I can tell just by looking at the screen that brands like S&E are cheap sh1te.

IW will ride this wave by flooding the shows with as many different brands as possible. The mugs are evidently buying them ...

Actually I take that back. Not all IW viewers are mugs. I feel sorry for the folk (e.g. granny buying for her grandson) that maybe watch channels like this and believe what the bullsh1tters, oops sorry presenters and 'experts' are telling them. So they spend £200 or whatever on something like a S&E watch thinking it's a quality thing and nice present.

Tbh this happens outside of selly telly. I can remember as a lad sometimes getting presents e.g. from Aunties and Uncles. They would say 'the man in the shop said this is a good one' and some of the times you'd look at the present/product and think 'MMmmm, me thinks he was bullsh1tting you' however you obviously don't say anything. You smile and say thank you.

And of course there are people who need to buy on a budget, I get that. However in my limited knowledge, I still think rather than buy a £200 S&E or similar, buy something like a £100 Rotary. Probably every bit as good (if not better) and half the price.

Actually I take that back. Not all IW viewers are mugs. I feel sorry for the folk (e.g. granny buying for her grandson) that maybe watch channels like this and believe what the bullsh1tters, oops sorry presenters and 'experts' are telling them. So they spend £200 or whatever on something like a S&E watch thinking it's a quality thing and nice present.

Tbh this happens outside of selly telly. I can remember as a lad sometimes getting presents e.g. from Aunties and Uncles. They would say 'the man in the shop said this is a good one' and some of the times you'd look at the present/product and think 'MMmmm, me thinks he was bullsh1tting you' however you obviously don't say anything. You smile and say thank you.

And of course there are people who need to buy on a budget, I get that. However in my limited knowledge, I still think rather than buy a £200 S&E or similar, buy something like a £100 Rotary. Probably every bit as good (if not better) and half the price.

I agree. I really, really hate all this ‘it’s an heirloom’ stuff they spout. I mean, they MUST know that they aren’t. And like you, I feel very sorry for people conned into buying by that kind of claim.

Well, despite just being out of the fourth year, she has still been on the misleading the poor, hapless saps of customers course.This (£549.99) bike - it could be £1000, £2000, £3000, even, she squeaks. If it doesn’t work out, back to Tesco, standing by the kitchen towels aisle shouting: “These wonderful kitchen towels - they could be £1, £3, £5, £7, £8…Oh..they are £8 now....Still, they are on Easy Pay..”

It wouldn’t surprise me!
It’s a bit like a dog with fleas. When you look under a microscope, the fleas have their own fleas (or parasites) on them, and so on….
Sea Gull may have been one of the first to have made it to the West, but they are now quite ’respectable’ (as Chinese watch makers go), so clones of clones are entirely possible. And I’m pretty sure I once worked on one. I was fixing an old Chinese DG3806EB-D for a customer a year or so ago (the one with the day/night indicator, and I’m certain it was a clone - it had shims (and fingerprints and hairs) all over the place, and Sea Gull aren’t normally too badly made…and I’m fairly certain the case back hadn’t been opened before. I’ve only ever seen shims in a mechanism once before - in a badly re-assembled (Poljot) 3133 which is normally as tough as old boots.
Surely CCCP sales will be down- for years they pretended to have the Russian connection and given recent events it must be hard for them to now tell the truth about where they are made.
I think you said earlier that Kevski is now playing on his Lithuanian story for Vostok as well, which is no surprise. Like you, I’m amazed how little Kevin seems to know about the business.

Kevski is a strange one, keeps bragging about being in the business for decades, think the longest time he's mentioned is 46 years, but his general knowledge of the watch industry would put a huge question mark on that claim, he comes across as a novice at times. Sure he may know a bit about the brands he's selling, what he's learned in the past 6/7 years plus the info he's fed, but even then some of the stuff he spouts is utter crap, but when it comes to general watch knowledge then he pretty poor and generally is just spouting garbage/made up stories.
I liked him when i first saw him as he did genuinely seem to try and give as much details about the watches as he could, but over time he's gradually descended to the dark side with more outlandish claims and stories.
The only thing i can find about him and his connection with the watch Industry is watchbase (which was doing nothing till he got involved with IW approx 2015/2016), which he set up with his wife, before watchbase he was a director/owner in a property business.

Because they want to extract as much £££ from punters as they possibly can. Bear in mind they're not selling to watch connoisseurs as such. As part of their patter, they refer to their watch show viewers as experts/connoisseurs, however with no disrespect many (most?) of them can't be. Otherwise they wouldn't be buying many of the watches IW sells. I know diddly squat about watches and I can tell just by looking at the screen that brands like S&E are cheap sh1te.

IW will ride this wave by flooding the shows with as many different brands as possible. The mugs are evidently buying them ...

Yeah they are just jumping on the bandwagon of watches & watch collecting being popular again.

Luckily for IW there are a lot of new buyers/collectors just starting and know next to nothing about the watches they are buying. Ok they'll have some who have a good idea what they are buying, but they are usually your dedicated followers of VE, Sturmanskie, Aviator, Mathey Tissot & Swiss Military etc. The rest are being conned big time.

Of course at the same time, over the last decade or so, there are many, many new brands who have sprung up and like IW wanting to get a piece of this big new cake, a lot are good brands trying to offer the watch collectors something new, different and at affordable prices, with decent quality watches. But then you have loads of unscrupulous new brands, with concocted inspiring brands stories, who use the likes of IW & their reps (ie Bordell, Boydell, Baby Fields etc), to take advantage of the lack of knowledge to con folks into buying dirt cheap watches from China, giving the watch fictitious stories and vastly exaggerating the quality and prices of the watches.

I agree. I really, really hate all this ‘it’s an heirloom’ stuff they spout. I mean, they MUST know that they aren’t. And like you, I feel very sorry for people conned into buying by that kind of claim.

Of course they know, it's a corporate wide con both in front and behind the cameras.
You just need to look at the presenters daily wrist wear, apart from the utter idiot oversized duvet boy Knowles who bought a Swan & Edgar :eek: do you see any of the cheap crap from Swan & Edgar or Resultco? Apart from Den with her Mathey-Tissot Edmond and Alan Ennis with his VEs, do you see any of them wearing the decent quality stuff like Mathey-Tissot, VE, Sturmanskie or Aviator? Do we see them wearing any of the multiple Solar Time watches sold by the head shyster Bordell?

No you don't, Of course we are told that they have bought many of them, but we never (apart from an odd occasion) see them wearing one, daily wear consists of Rolex (Peter V, Peter S, Simon I), Longine (Crawley), Omega (Mason), Cartier (Santos for the ladies, Sally, Den, Shona) and Apple (again the ladies, Jess, Hayley, Shona). Think that tells you all about what IW presenters think of the watches they sell.

Have any presenters left
Not seeing Mason so much of late. Probably making a mistake writing that as he will come back again now. Stan Butler isn’t on too much either. Again, a huge bonus. Was there one called Jess or Tess? Very annoying manner. She seems to have also disappeared, but my fear is, she will come back again. Personally, I liked Lob Rock. I know others don’t, but for me, you could tell he saw how ridiculous the whole shopping telly thing is, and that made me warm to him. I guess they all do, but Locke shared that subliminally at least, with the viewers tuned in to a similar wavelength.

Over £200 of bracelet included from Traser for the P67 T100 watch. :ROFLMAO:

£200, really, then why is your son's web site selling the bracelets for £89 Kev?

Inflation really kicking, according to Kev, bracelet has an RRP of £240 to £250, nearly 25% rise in 4 days. :eek: :ROFLMAO:

Although his sin's site isn't effected by inflation, still only £89 there. :confused:

Latest posts

Back