Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I think Simon Peters said the same thing about the youth in NHS glasses who was with him on the Scalextric extravaganza the other night - calling him the CEO..Maybe I am getting older, and like police officers, the CEOs are looking much younger these days - about 12 in his case
Can you still get NHS glasses?😂. And it is a product of getting older that everyone looks about 12!

I think Simon Peters said the same thing about the youth in NHS glasses who was with him on the Scalextric extravaganza the other night - calling him the CEO..Maybe I am getting older, and like police officers, the CEOs are looking much younger these days - about 12 in his case

Scalextric is part of Hornby, so he's not the CEO, Lyndon Davies is the Hornby CEO, Simon Owen who was on the show is just in charge of the Scalextric brand.

That Hornby show had the companies CEO as the guest, surely he wouldnt let them tell porkies

Why, because he's a CEO? There are many brand representatives/owners/CEOs etc quite happy to have IW tell porkies on a regular basis, being a CEO doesn't make you immune to being a shyster, heck just look at the management of IW which allow their staff to tell porkies daily.

5 minutes in on the hornby set show and ideal world have the only stock of the beatles train in the UK.....:unsure:

Regardless of where you buy their products from, Hornby is hardly an affordable hobby these days. £40-£60 for track expansion packs, £50-£60 for a couple of small buildings etc etc. Kids won't be able to buy much Hornby branded stuff on pocket money that's for sure.

And yes, I know as many if not more adults buy the stuff ;) Nevertheless for what amount to small pieces of plastic, the markup must be pretty significant. I'm not including their high end locos in that comment.

Go see my recent post in the TJC section re gold bar I saw for sale last night.

Nothing short of disgusting what I witnessed, selling it as though it was the bargain of the year.

When oh when will folk start to, by default, check Google BEFORE buying from selly telly to make sure they are actually getting a bargain?!?

NHS Glasses dont really exist anymore, if on benefits you get a voucher these days
I should have known that as s few years ago I had a very short period out of work and was on Job Seekers allowance. I got a good reduction at Specsavers which was dependent on tax contributions I had made throughout my working life.

Usually the kids in NHS glasses had damaged them or more typically had them damaged by the large selection of school bullies at my rather rough all boys school in 1970s north London. The bully would usually pull them off some unfortunate and spotty oik’s lug ‘oles and then proceed to snap the arms off. They would turn up the next day with the arms taped back on, or a la Jack Duckworth, stuck back on with plasters. There was a very limited NHS frames choice as I recall - black or Milky Bar kid style. Both rather unattractive aesthetically propositions. You got picked on just for wearing them.

Listening to the fascinating reminiscences of Simons Peter on the Harry Potter spectacular this evening. The man has led such a fascinating life. Done so much. Met the stars. Been a star. How has he been able to fit so much into relatively so few decades is truly amazing.

Tonight he is reflecting upon his friendship with Debbie Reynolds and then, her daughter, Carrie Fisher. I am genuinely intrigued. How did that happen? Well, it turns out he was apparently living in LA for 18 months and during that time he met Debbie Reynolds and they became friends. Carrie Fisher, was just a jobbing actress when he then met her and became her friend, too. So that is pre-1977, and prior, I guess, to her getting the part of Princess Leia in 1976. I am just trying to work out how old he was in 1976? 15? 16? 17 tops? How he got out to America for so long and at that young an age, I cannot work out? Child actor on American TV? Teenage cabaret star? No..I give up. Anybody else got any ideas? Perhaps he getting himself mixed up with Paul Simon?

His connections don’t add up. A 15 year old boy living in Los Angeles in the mid-1970 - friend of the stars. Creative licence stretched to breaking point and beyond. What I know of his career was he apparently appeared on Bobby Bennett’s Junior Showtime in the early 1970s, dressed up as Ronald McDonald in the 1980s, some BBC kids’ type shows in the late ’80s and early ’90s. Then, reappearing on shopping television in the early 2000s to date. All the exciting bits he talks about, I cannot place.

Pedro Simone....(he probably calls himself that for a touch of exotica) really lives in his own mind! If you met someone in a pub who spouted as much as he does you'd walk on or leave the pub altogether.

Also he really does not appreciate peoples personal space he was all over the poor male model like (bad) rash on last nights Soulcal clothing show.

How he has got away with his bull for so long is actually his real and only talent!

Usually the kids in NHS glasses had damaged them or more typically had them damaged by the large selection of school bullies at my rather rough all boys school in 1970s north London. The bully would usually pull them off some unfortunate and spotty oik’s lug ‘oles and then proceed to snap the arms off. They would turn up the next day with the arms taped back on, or a la Jack Duckworth, stuck back on with plasters. There was a very limited NHS frames choice as I recall - black or Milky Bar kid style. Both rather unattractive aesthetically propositions. You got picked on just for wearing them.
I went to a rough mixed school in North West London in late 70s/early 80s so I understand your post!

His connections don’t add up. A 15 year old boy living in Los Angeles in the mid-1970 - friend of the stars. Creative licence stretched to breaking point and beyond. What I know of his career was he apparently appeared on Bobby Bennett’s Junior Showtime in the early 1970s, dressed up as Ronald McDonald in the 1980s, some BBC kids’ type shows in the late ’80s and early ’90s. Then, reappearing on shopping television in the early 2000s to date. All the exciting bits he talks about, I cannot place.
He once made reference to "my Blue Peter days". We know he wasn't a presenter on the show, the comment is vague but implies it. Of course "Blue Peter" could have been a dirty movie for all we know😳🤣 (sincere apologies if I've put anyone off their lunch or dinner!)

Did anybody else hate the optican visits at school, or maybe it was just my school, as I went to a Special School, when your eyes were tested you had a mazsive sticky plaster stuck over one eye, if you had a lazy eye

I have a lazy eye too, but didn't get a sticky plaster, had to wear the NHS black framed glasses for a year in 1st year of secondary, but stopped after that as it didn't improve the eye, optician at the time said it was spotted to late and had already fix so my own choice whether to continue with glasses or not as they didn't improve my sight anyway, still had very good vision even with the lazy eye.

Didn't like going to optician though, older guy, very creepy, who used to get far too close during eye examines when the light was out, you could smell the cigs alcohol and feel his breath as he examined your eye, felt very uncomfortable.

He once made reference to "my Blue Peter days". We know he wasn't a presenter on the show, the comment is vague but implies it. Of course "Blue Peter" could have been a dirty movie for all we know😳🤣 (sincere apologies if I've put anyone off their lunch or dinner!)

I've heard him mention the Palladium a few times, although not sure why he'd be there, maybe had a job as a cleaner. :unsure:

Latest posts

Back