Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

It’s not often these days I am driven to contact those idiots at the ASA, but after seeing the aforementioned shopping TV debut of the woman last night purporting to be an expert on cleaning I feel I should at least inform them.

This, if it was if it was anything else, showed a complete lack of respect by the channel for the people watching. If you extend that view to everything else they sell, it certainly confirms that they think that they can literally tell the viewers anything without any effective challenge.

The girl I had on last night had absolutely nothing to do with cleaning in any professional capacity in my opinion. Where they got her from who knows. I just simply cannot work it out. Does she know somebody on the production team/a presenter? Was she just keen to get on television, even shopping television? I just don’t know.

She clearly had no knowledge whatsoever about the clothes dryer and looked like she and it just met as the cameras rolled. She was making outrageous and unsubstantiated claims. One in particular that she repeated several times with that tumble dryers ruin your clothing. Whilst it may be true that a tumble dryer at some point has ruined somebody’s clothing, I don’t think you can condemn the entire tumble dryer industry as one that ruins clothing. The watch shows stretch credibility to a massive degree, but I am still to recall any of their so-called experts saying this watch is great and all the other watch brands are ****… Another gaff that came to mind (there was so many) was that essentially you can’t get these anywhere now as everybody is buying them, or words to that effect. A proven claim? And…that all her friends were desperate to get hold of one. Which could, of course, be true, but when you put it in context of everything else she was saying, you suspect it wasn’t.

She was introduced as a cleaning expert with 19 years cleaning experience. That by implication suggests some sort of professional cleaning expertise, rather than the fact she may have picked up a duster for 19 years at home. In turn she proceeded to show us that she had no expertise she was prepared to reveal about cleaning. She also said she was building massive heating bills by putting all her washing on her radiators to dry. I don’t think a cleaning expert would be doing such a thing, as I would think they would realise the costs involved in doing that, and the ineffectiveness of the way you were doing it. The weak presenter just let her get away with it. Clearly not wanting to pull her up, so she just let her get on with it. Probably assuming nobody was watching anyway. An experienced presenter would’ve stopped her at a number of points

I watch shopping television these days in the main to have a laugh in print about it. But that demonstration last night actually made me angry because I felt sorry fundamentally for quite a number of the presumably vulnerable viewer buyers they have out there that they are exploiting by putting on presentations like that and producing people like that, dressing them up as experts in a subject they quite clearly absolutely not.

Much against my better judgement I have complained to the ASA. I had sworn I would never do it again. But you can’t just sit back and do nothing as an individual when you see something like that put out.
Brave man Duke, Upside down head (UDH) will come round your manor and dooo ya!

Joking aside well done, they seem to play by a different game at shysters tv channel.

Paul Berk is back this morning

His first line " we are not knocking tumble driers "

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Hang on at least they have prevented the guest from re appearing this morning as she said she would last night

I’m not being rude…but any one of us here could have stepped in immediately live on air and bluffed our through that dryer presentation better than the EXPERT…Er..it’s electric…er it’s aluminium..Er..it smells like dog…Er..it’s aluminium..Er..it drys yer clothes…You can alterninate…Er..Er.. Genuinely nonplussed they have got her back again. All I can think is they paid her a fee in advance based on appearances and they want their 20 quid’s worth. Now Peter has emailed asking if it can be used as a TV aerial- Peter from the Gallery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Comparing a heated clothes horse (old money name) to a mains dryer is always going to go in favour of the powered clothes horse in terms of electricity consumption kwh per hour, but what is the drying time or one versus the other.

Cant help feeling it needs a bit more context than what they are providing - average drying times.

Plus which has the most capacity a dryer or the clothes horse. Probably the dryer by a fair margin.

Might not be quite the game changer they want you to believe

Having a social media influencer probably isn't the worst idea after all these channels desperately need to find a way to get the younger generation at least aware of them

However, if you are going that route have someone who has been screen tested and genuinely either loves the product or knows the product inside out

It sort of strikes as a desperate move in the first place what happened to Bev Hare?!

Having a social media influencer probably isn't the worst idea after all these channels desperately need to find a way to get the younger generation at least aware of them

However, if you are going that route have someone who has been screen tested and genuinely either loves the product or knows the product inside out

It sort of strikes as a desperate move in the first place what happened to Bev Hare?!
Bev will more than likely be on tomorrow as they have a Polti hour

Latest posts

Back