Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Seriously though if you want to splash out some of your hard earned cash on a new watch...go into a reputable jeweller's shop and buy one there. Seriously if I wanted to spend serious money on a watch, and yes I think £400 is serious money (I know you can spend thousands) I wouldn't dream of buying one from a shopping channel. Like Paul B said, he bought a vintage watch..think I'd sooner do that than risk "being sold a pup". Constantin Weisz?....I'd be embarrassed to try and insure something like that, if the burglars haven't heard of it, they probably wouldn't bother! What used to really make me giggle is when the price drop used to sell this sort of thing and present the shite on a slow spinning turntable, with classical music playing in the background! And they'd try and have us believe that "Thomas Calvi and "Phillipe Mercier" were top quality brand names, when they're basically the starter brand in Argos!

Seriously though if you want to splash out some of your hard earned cash on a new watch...go into a reputable jeweller's shop and buy one there. Seriously if I wanted to spend serious money on a watch, and yes I think £400 is serious money (I know you can spend thousands) I wouldn't dream of buying one from a shopping channel. Like Paul B said, he bought a vintage watch..think I'd sooner do that than risk "being sold a pup". Constantin Weisz?....I'd be embarrassed to try and insure something like that, if the burglars haven't heard of it, they probably wouldn't bother! What used to really make me giggle is when the price drop used to sell this sort of thing and present the shite on a slow spinning turntable, with classical music playing in the background! And they'd try and have us believe that "Thomas Calvi and "Phillipe Mercier" were top quality brand names, when they're basically the starter brand in Argos!

I've had my Omega for about eight years, it's never missed a beat or lost a second. I don't wear it every day but regularly enough to know it's reliable. If anyone asks, I also don't have to try to convince them with a cod 'heritage' story, they have usually heard of Omega.

Looking at the links which people have posted here, showing these watches for sale elsewhere or under other brand names etc, it doesn't fill me with confidence in the longevity of the product. They may be perfectly serviceable timepieces, I've never owned one or even seen them in the flesh, but the 'back story' does jar.

Worst watches on IW for me are those DeLorean monstrosities. They're far too large, flashy and ugly. I don't know how they sell them!

I just got myself a nice Tissot automatic (this is Swiss made) from Jomashop for $199.99, plus of course the 20% vat when it arrived in the UK, plus £8 handling charge by the post office. Total, just over £200.

It's an excellent watch, and is only +20 seconds after four weeks of continuous wearing.

I also buy from dutyfreeisland.com. They sell a lot of Citizen and Orient watches at great prices. Seiko too when they have stock.

I've lost count of the watches I have now. Probably 80 or 90, not sure.

Reminds me of when James Russell (remember him on Bid Tv ?) said '...if you've always dreamed of owning Philip Mercier , today is the day we're going to make it affordable for you !'

Those Deloreans are something else, way to big for my wrist, remind me of the huge monstrosities that Invicta do. For some strange reason IW seem to think collectors want huge gawdy watches on their wrists, no thanks. The guest guy they have on for Delorean, can't remember his name, but he is another slimey character.

I've used Jomashap a few times as well, got some good discounts on their watches, delivery is pretty quick too. As you say, even paying tax you can still make big savings compared to prices here. I quite like Mathey-Tissot, I got a renaissance from Jomashop, IW normal price for it was £799.99, on air price was something like £550-599 can't remember exactly now, but anyway was about £375 from Joma, of course the pound is not as strong as it was when i got it so would be probably £400 ish now.

I've 3 Tissots, Visodate, Ballade COSC and Seastar, all classy looking watches.

I've used a variety of online sites, never knew about dutyfreeisland.com though, handy to know. recently I've used, Ebay (just be careful), Jura, Creation and quite a few others, I just have patients and keep checking for their offers, have used seriouswatches in the Netherlands, they have Roamers at really good prices and i picked up an Alpina Alpiner from them recently at a really good price. Also use Poljot24.de for Stela & Seagull, but there are so many good online sites these days, just have to check through them for the best offer at that time.

80 or 90 watches, yeah you've a serious addiction, just like me. :mysmilie_3:

Ps

Oh and i've bough a few Chinese watches from Aliexpress to try out, see what like the quality was, found Parnis, Cadisen and Starking not bad considering how cheap they are. The Starking in particular was really good, High Beat in house movement, and only £37. I got the white dialed one in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA1rJfeCog4

Last edited:
Those Deloreans are something else, way to big for my wrist, remind me of the huge monstrosities that Invicta do. For some strange reason IW seem to think collectors want huge gawdy watches on their wrists, no thanks. The guest guy they have on for Delorean, can't remember his name, but he is another slimey character.

I've used Jomashap a few times as well, got some good discounts on their watches, delivery is pretty quick too. As you say, even paying tax you can still make big savings compared to prices here. I quite like Mathey-Tissot, I got a renaissance from Jomashop, IW normal price for it was £799.99, on air price was something like £550-599 can't remember exactly now, but anyway was about £375 from Joma, of course the pound is not as strong as it was when i got it so would be probably £400 ish now.

I've 3 Tissots, Visodate, Ballade COSC and Seastar, all classy looking watches.

I've used a variety of online sites, never knew about dutyfreeisland.com though, handy to know. recently I've used, Ebay (just be careful), Jura, Creation and quite a few others, I just have patients and keep checking for their offers, have used seriouswatches in the Netherlands, they have Roamers at really good prices and i picked up an Alpina Alpiner from them recently at a really good price. Also use Poljot24.de for Stela & Seagull, but there are so many good online sites these days, just have to check through them for the best offer at that time.

80 or 90 watches, yeah you've a serious addiction, just like me. :mysmilie_3:

Ps

Oh and i've bough a few Chinese watches from Aliexpress to try out, see what like the quality was, found Parnis, Cadisen and Starking not bad considering how cheap they are. The Starking in particular was really good, High Beat in house movement, and only £37. I got the white dialed one in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA1rJfeCog4

I watch Jody (just one more watch too), he finds some good bargains on aliexpress. Never used it myself.

I ordered a cheap Chrono from banggood for £15 a couple of days ago. I suppose I'll be surprised if it's good, but you never know.

I like that he covers a lot more of the affordable watches, and you always feel as if he's giving a genuine revue, some youtubers I feel, just pick what is the "in watches" to revue at the moment and just repeat what others have already said.

At £15 it's not much of a loss if it's not so good, sometimes these cheap quartz watches end up making good beater watches for around the house, gardening etc.

Used Aliexpress a few times, takes about 4 weeks delivery, couple of times stuff didn't turn up, but they have a time limit (6/8 weeks) for delivery and if your watch hasn't arrived by then you just report it and I've gotten my money back no problem.

I wonder when we're going to see other brands of 'luxury' watches on our screens from makers with rich heritage such as Patrick Phillp, Joe Mega or that well known marine timepiece maker Rowlex.

Last edited:
'Make sure you put it on your household insurance'............we know who loves that little saying, normally reserved for his 'high end' watches but not last night...............it was for a leather jacket:dull:

'Make sure you put it on your household insurance'............we know who loves that little saying, normally reserved for his 'high end' watches but not last night...............it was for a leather jacket:dull:

Aaah yes but, was it real Bonded Luxury leather, or just the bog standard proper stuff? LOL

Been watching the Friday fashion apart from a couple of fairly decent looking coats, it's mostly the usual leggings/shapeless tunics and baggy dresses with dodgy hemlines...But what is it with Hayley saying everything looks really expensive?! What on earth is she talking about? Firstly it looks like they've raided their local Bon Marche which sells cheapo clothes aimed at a slightly older customer than lets say Primark and Peacock. Wonder what she means by looking expensive...I doubt if that's on anyone's mind when they buy something...they might want to look stylish, or classy but I doubt if anyone considers how expensive something looks...especially when the clothes she's describing in all honesty look pretty cheap! The top Hayley's been wearing for the whole show looks like its been bought from a market stall in Margate!

I wonder when we're going to see other brands of 'luxury' watches on our screens from makers with rich heritage such as Patrick Phillp, Joe Mega or that well known marine timepiece maker Rowlex.

There's a new one coming on Monday, "Heritor", this could be the best laugh yet, They actually belong to these folk https://www.resultco.com/brands.

This is what their President said in regards to pricing "We want our dealer base to make a profit. We accept the consumer’s psychology of never buying a product at retail regardless of brand. Today’s consumer needs to satisfy their mental state to want a discount when making a purchase. To aid the retailer we enhance the retail price with an expectation that the dealer will discount at purchase. We allow the dealer to promote Heritor based on design and cost".

So no doubt these are going to be flogged off as some high quality watches, because of the retail price, and Ideal world (The good guys) are giving you bargains with big discounts.

You really have to laugh at their prices.

This one is $1200, with a Chinese Movement. :mysmilie_19:, and Ideal have £240 on their web site, you could get same quality off Ali for £50 or under.

https://heritorwatches.com/view/herhr5201

There's a new one coming on Monday, "Heritor", this could be the best laugh yet, They actually belong to these folk https://www.resultco.com/brands.

This is what their President said in regards to pricing "We want our dealer base to make a profit. We accept the consumer’s psychology of never buying a product at retail regardless of brand. Today’s consumer needs to satisfy their mental state to want a discount when making a purchase. To aid the retailer we enhance the retail price with an expectation that the dealer will discount at purchase. We allow the dealer to promote Heritor based on design and cost".

So no doubt these are going to be flogged off as some high quality watches, because of the retail price, and Ideal world (The good guys) are giving you bargains with big discounts.

You really have to laugh at their prices.

This one is $1200, with a Chinese Movement. :mysmilie_19:, and Ideal have £240 on their web site, you could get same quality off Ali for £50 or under.

https://heritorwatches.com/view/herhr5201

No doubt that Peter Simon will tell everyone to get it insured because it's "very valuable" :mysmilie_59:

Plus here's ResultCo's description of their Empress watch brand. I think we've finally discovered who actually writes Peter Simon's scripts:

Empress watches celebrate the everlasting love of mothers and daughters. Each timepiece is fully automatic and self-winding from wrist movement, built to last lifetimes: embedding moments spent with beloved daughters in each tick of every second.

:mysmilie_15:

Even cheaper in Argos..Is this the same one.. https://www.argos.co.uk/product/4556701

No Tweezle, that one hasn’t got 4G.

Jeez, I caught a bit of that big fella who’s like a very low rent David Brent. He was really stuffing his face with Joe’s cooking and was way overly impressed with the free laminated recipe cards.

And my word, he talks utter shat too. Where do they drag up these Goons? :mysmilie_59:

Latest posts

Back