Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Love how steve morealess admitted the old model of the item wasn’t very good.

That clip was good just to see Steve

I have to admit, they handled it quite well. Calmly saying things like 'maybe you tried a 9v not 6v' etc. Again probably all bullsh*t but at least they remained calm and professional. Although anything can happen, I wonder how much more they vet calls these days compared to then! These days if a caller like that slipped through we'd probably get 'oh, have we lost Betty from Barnsley? What a pity ...'

Brian from London isn't happy , Shaun got some for his mum

:ROFLMAO:

Like how it's the guy's fault the electrics blew not the product. :ROFLMAO:

Unless it was one of the in-crowd, like Dave Loyden etc, there is no way they would allow ordinary folk to ask the presenters questions, it would be a blood bath, I'd have the phone ready before the show even started. :ROFLMAO:

Let's be honest about it, I doubt almost anything sold on selly telly will ever reach heirloom status, bar perhaps some of the jewelry that is of genuine quality and some of the higher end collectibles. I completely agree with you, in reality many of the products they sell are perfectly good for the price you pay. It's the utter tripe they spill with their sales pitches that spoils it, coupled with the faux over-reaction to products that are anything but unique or ground-breaking.

Yeah, I'm not sure about jewelry, not seen what they sell or if they do many shows, think i've seen one show, certainly not as regular as the watch show that's for sure. :ROFLMAO:
As to the watches, I suppose there is a few that could become heirlooms as in passed down, having sentimental value, rather than any monetary value, but those would be very few, i would say about 99% of IW watches are throw away watches, ie when they're broke, they're broke, it's not economically worth it to get them repaired or serviced. In 10 years time, if say one of your Swan & Edgar (that could be Heritor, Reign, Earnshaw, C.Weisz, DeLorean or any of the funny brands) watches was needing serviced, it would be cheaper to buy a new watch than service/repair, and despite IW claims about insuring, even if you kept that Swan & Edgar etc in a box and never wore it, you'd be lucky if you could sell it for a tenner on ebay.
There are a few that may be of interest to watch collectors many years from now, but not that they would be any kind of investment for you, but folks would pay a few quid for them, nothing like the price you paid though. They need to be something, as you say unique, have some kind of heritage, and actual history behind them, naming your watch brand after an old dept store, or saying they are designed on the banks of the Rhine, or after a famous car from the past, and getting the Chinese to make a couple of hundred of a watch to claim Limited edition, with generic Chinese movements in them, doesn't count though. Hundreds of no heritage, no history type brands out there doing exactly that, so it's nothing unique or special, fine for folks just wanting a watch for today, but not something you'd buy for passing down or as an investment etc.
I would say from what I've seen, watches that would probably interest collectors in years from now, would be one or two Vostok Europe, those with the Vostok movements in them, the rest, although well engineered all have pretty basic Seiko or Citizen movements in them. nothing unique or special. One or two of the Sturmanskies, Mathey-Tissot and maybe the Buran, but from the rest can't think of anything special off the top of my head, sure there's more that would interest watch enthusiasts today, but more than likely those watches wouldn't be of much interest to watch collectors way down the line in the future. But us humans are a funny breed, who knows maybe in 50 years time, there will be craze and collectors desperate to get their hands on a vintage Swan & Edgar watch:eek: or maybe not. :ROFLMAO:

He he, Constantin Weisz, selling off the dregs from previous shows.

Biggest discount they've ever done on Constantin Weisz, they're doing a super discount.

Peter, in mental breakdown mode, said, first watch, is £300 watch was reduced to £249.99 now you're getting another £100 off, so £149.99, says to caroline they are so ridiculously discounted, you're saving hundreds and hundreds here, genuine discounts, discount on discount.

Yeah Peter we hear you, they are discounted, but can you explain how a discounted watch is more expensive now than when Shaun Ryan was selling them before? :eek:

Today - 9.45pm 28/05/2020 - £149.99 +£4.99 p&p

Monday 20/04/2020 8.10pm - £119.99 + £4.99 p&p

Only on Ideal World can you get the biggest discount ever on a watch and it goes UP in price. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Watch week hasn't even started yet and I'm in stitches.

God that clip...I'm sorry, but that was a case of "say or do anything that puts the blame firmly on the customer, while making light of it"!!! :mad:

And that Harry Greene was a right old blagger as well. I remember when he was demonstrating a glass cutter and saying how amazing it was. He then proceeds to cut a piece of glass and it all went wrong and cut it at a weird angle, so he tried to hide it with his hands while proclaiming it had done a brilliant job. Just be honest you arseholes.....we know things can go wrong.

He he, Constantin Weisz, selling off the dregs from previous shows.

Biggest discount they've ever done on Constantin Weisz, they're doing a super discount.

Peter, in mental breakdown mode, said, first watch, is £300 watch was reduced to £249.99 now you're getting another £100 off, so £149.99, says to caroline they are so ridiculously discounted, you're saving hundreds and hundreds here, genuine discounts, discount on discount.

Yeah Peter we hear you, they are discounted, but can you explain how a discounted watch is more expensive now than when Shaun Ryan was selling them before? :eek:

Today - 9.45pm 28/05/2020 - £149.99 +£4.99 p&p

Monday 20/04/2020 8.10pm - £119.99 + £4.99 p&p

Only on Ideal World can you get the biggest discount ever on a watch and it goes UP in price. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Watch week hasn't even started yet and I'm in stitches.

If, as a viewer, you apply some logic to what's going on here, you would have to be an eBike short of a cordless vac not to realise what's going on. This is where the psychology of it all gets quite interesting and we're all susceptible given a perform storm of circumstances.

These selly telly channels tell us, with almost every … single … product what an amazing bargain we're getting, how they very likely can't repeat something like this again, so grab it quick blah blah blah.

Here's where you apply the logic. They're repeating this story day in day out, year in year out with 99% of their products. The conclusion you must therefore draw is they are either being VERY altruistic or maybe, just maybe, the price the products are selling for is their true sellable value.

I sometimes dip into Gems TV for a few mins here and there and they are one of the worst. Everything they sell 'should be selling for many times more than the price you're getting it for.' Really? Really?!? So you're selling a ring to us for £29.99 that could sell just as well for £299.99? So why not sell it to us for £99.99, pocket the company another £70 and you can still boast it's a massive bargain. Could it be the ring you're selling for £29.99 is, how can I say it, a ring that should be selling for £29.99? In short, that's its market value.

Retailers have loss leaders yes. These selly telly idiots act as though we're getting everything at a loss leader price. And yet they remain in business? Funny that. I'm getting to the stage where tbh I don't find it amusing to watch any more. Increasingly I watch them with distain and have come to the conclusion I only watch these days as a form of self punishment :)

If, as a viewer, you apply some logic to what's going on here, you would have to be an eBike short of a cordless vac not to realise what's going on. This is where the psychology of it all gets quite interesting and we're all susceptible given a perform storm of circumstances.

These selly telly channels tell us, with almost every … single … product what an amazing bargain we're getting, how they very likely can't repeat something like this again, so grab it quick blah blah blah.

Here's where you apply the logic. They're repeating this story day in day out, year in year out with 99% of their products. The conclusion you must therefore draw is they are either being VERY altruistic or maybe, just maybe, the price the products are selling for is their true sellable value.

I sometimes dip into Gems TV for a few mins here and there and they are one of the worst. Everything they sell 'should be selling for many times more than the price you're getting it for.' Really? Really?!? So you're selling a ring to us for £29.99 that could sell just as well for £299.99? So why not sell it to us for £99.99, pocket the company another £70 and you can still boast it's a massive bargain. Could it be the ring you're selling for £29.99 is, how can I say it, a ring that should be selling for £29.99? In short, that's its market value.

Retailers have loss leaders yes. These selly telly idiots act as though we're getting everything at a loss leader price. And yet they remain in business? Funny that. I'm getting to the stage where tbh I don't find it amusing to watch any more. Increasingly I watch them with distain and have come to the conclusion I only watch these days as a form of self punishment :)

Yep, agree with your assessment there.

I said before that loooong time ago, worked in a dept store, and we would have, as you say, the loss leaders, but that’s only intended to get the customers in the door. Usually you only had a few of the loss leaders, as you wanted most of the customers to actually buy the stuff you were making a good profit on. This is where it’s patently obvious that Ideal World is not working a loss leader system. If they were, then it would need for their web site sales (with the increased prices) when products aren’t featured on shows to outstrip their sales of products that are featured on their TV shows, which although we don’t know their sales figures for each, I would bet my house on the fact that this is not the case. This then takes us back to your assessment, that the reduced prices Ideal World have on their TV shows, on the whole (there will be the odd bargain mixed in) are all prices near enough the products true value. Of course they need the help of the Companies behind the products to create a RRP which is well above the true value of the product for this system to work. We just need to look at Dormeo, which we wrote about before, but they have their mattress on constant discount when they are selling on the different TV Channels, no way can all of these be classed as loss leaders just far too many, which just confirms the RRP for Dormeo must be well inflated for TV Channels to give discounts which are often as much as half price and on odd occasions even more. But what annoys me the most, and why I would not buy a Dormeo mattress, is that they actually sell to any mugs that go to their web site, at their inflated RRP.

Well having checked the watch week schedule, and I see, Swan & Edgar have an extra day added in the schedule, tonight, Saturday & Sunday. Although they haven't anything up for next Friday yet, but up till that time, have to say it's a pretty poor line up for a watch week, looks like Peter et al will need to really go some in selling this lot, of course every show will be a sell out, but surely there must be a limit to the amount of folk wanting these types of watches. Either that or Ideal world have manage to encourage a mass of folks into collecting watches, and have collections full of all these Ideal World brands, I really feel sorry for if there is a lot of folk with collections of 20 or 30 or even more watches from the brands featured this week.
Of course, their money and if they are happy fair enough, but if they've believe Peter & his chums and think they have a collection of luxury timepieces, they or whomever they pass them onto are in for a big shock.:(

The smarmy Swan and Edgar bloke thinks that the Zeppelin raids on London were in World War Two ,and that the Lancaster was a 'fighter jet'.
Peter says that the watch pays homage to 'the Lancaster heroes of 1939'
The Lancaster first flew in 1941.
He also says that Swan and Edgar are 'the heritage of British watch making'.

Wouldn't surprise me if Swan & Edgar was the first watch on the moon, oh hang on:unsure:

Wouldn't be surprised, they will probably claim their "Orbiter" was up there.

Oh aqua just beat me to the next bit. (y)

But not only is he full of bullsh@t, he's thick as mince, Fields on his Lancaster watch, “The Lancaster Bomber really was the Iconic FIGHTER JET throughout the World War”. :eek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Right I know he's young, but if you're naming a watch after a plane at least know what the hell the plane was, it's not a lot too ask.

On the “Complexity” watch, the conman says, “haven’t seen that design anywhere else and that highlights the uniqueness of the design we put into these limit edition timepieces”.

Of course you seen them before and you didn’t put the design into the watch, it existed and was being sold on Aliexpress before you even started the Swan & Edgar watch Brand, all you did was get the Chinese manufacture to put your name on the dial of an existing watch design, oh and it’s only charging £27 for the same watch on Ali.

Last edited:
The smarmy Swan and Edgar bloke thinks that the Zeppelin raids on London were in World War Two ,and that the Lancaster was a 'fighter jet'.

He is without a doubt, a very ignorant conman, Ideal world really is the perfect place for him to flog his watches. It really is mind-boggling how they are allowed to get away with this crap.

Peter singing 'high on a hill stood a lonely goater' (It's goatherd Peter)

Speaking about the C-19 'Pendemic' (must have got mixed up with the £80 free gift)

WTH has that watch got to do with the Lancaster bomber?

Peter likened to god - peter liked that, he needed a little time to think before going into full 1970's working men's club comic mode.

I missed those points. I was too busy praying to our lord Peter.

Now I don't know much about watches but I do know about WW2.

I'm just wondering when they'll have a watch named 'The Manchester' (the forerunner of the Lanc).

Oh damn, going to miss the 2.15 S & E show tomorrow, with easing of Lockdown, sister & her hubby coming over tomorrow afternoon for refreshments in the Back garden, of course they've to take over their own seats, food and drinks etc. :)

Just seen Joanne shilling a Flavourstone Diamond frying pan on Thane channel...Apparently she is Thanes resident expert chef. And in all her years as a pro chef,she has never seen anything like it. Never realised she was a pro chef...or could that be a little lie
Had just taken my recycling out came back and started channel surfing and thought I saw her, but wasn't sure until they mentioned her name, and then I came on here to see if anyone else had seen her!

Latest posts

Back