Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I know I keep harping on about watches, it's the only bit I watch for a laugh, so tonight's should be good.:rolleyes:
Lucien Piccard, must be out of this world quality, a captain of horological proportions. Buy it, put it on your house insurance, MM is hoping one is left so he can add it to his vast collection:ROFLMAO: 9.45 if you must

I know I keep harping on about watches, it's the only bit I watch for a laugh, so tonight's should be good.:rolleyes:
Lucien Piccard, must be out of this world quality, a captain of horological proportions. Buy it, put it on your house insurance, MM is hoping one is left so he can add it to his vast collection:ROFLMAO: 9.45 if you must

See they've brought Thomas Tope out of lockdown for this show, wonder what rubbish he'll be spouting, no doubt we'll be told they are one of the great Swiss watch making brands, even though it's been a while since they were Swiss or even Made in Switzerland, and no doubt Peter will be thanking the family that took the brand to America for allowing them to sell them on IW, even though that family sold it off years ago, and since then the company that bought it from that family went bankrupt in 2011/12ish, but now the brand is owned by the same folk that owns Swiss Legend brand and like quite a few of the brands on IW are made in China. Oh and will get a lot of name dropping, celebrities who have worn Lucien Piccard watches, but there will be no mention that was the original incarnation of Lucien Piccard not the present day rehash.

Well apparently. Elvis and loads of celebrities owned these £129 watches:oops: Thomas Tope reminds me of a very slimy character from somewhere back in my dark childhood:unsure:

Yeah, but was a different era, different brand and different watches. ;)

Most of these are just cheap quartz watches, fine if anybody just wants a cheap watch to wear, although there is plenty alternative inexpensive watches like these in the shops.

As for Tope, just another willing to say whatever it takes to fool potential buyers into thinking they are buying quality timepieces. I used to be pretty indifferent about him when i first saw him, but he didn't say much back then, now he says to much and it's all crap.

I see Mason's not showing the watches over his wrist, problably doesn't want folks to see what he is wearing himself, maybe he should take the cheap swiss tat off his wrist and properly display these Lucien Piccard horological bueaties in all their glory.:ROFLMAO:

See they've brought Thomas Tope out of lockdown for this show, wonder what rubbish he'll be spouting, no doubt we'll be told they are one of the great Swiss watch making brands, even though it's been a while since they were Swiss or even Made in Switzerland, and no doubt Peter will be thanking the family that took the brand to America for allowing them to sell them on IW, even though that family sold it off years ago, and since then the company that bought it from that family went bankrupt in 2011/12ish, but now the brand is owned by the same folk that owns Swiss Legend brand and like quite a few of the brands on IW are made in China. Oh and will get a lot of name dropping, celebrities who have worn Lucien Piccard watches, but there will be no mention that was the original incarnation of Lucien Piccard not the present day rehash.

All I know after watching the close-ups is he should have washed under his nails before the show! Yuk!! Actually I notice that with a few presenters, their nails are definitely not suited to the extreme close-up work of selly telly!

Yeah, but was a different era, different brand and different watches. ;)

Most of these are just cheap quartz watches, fine if anybody just wants a cheap watch to wear, although there is plenty alternative inexpensive watches like these in the shops.

This is the thing, they heavily promote based on brand. However as you've touched on, it doesn't always mean much. For example a brand might have been around for 100 years, however if it's changed hands a few times and if the subsequent owners haven't fully adhered to the values of the original owners, what does it even mean any more? And even if the brand hasn't changed hands, just because a brand genuinely meant quality x decades ago doesn't mean it still does. They might have dropped in quality (cheaper materials, outsourced manufacturers etc) to remain competitive.

So yeah, a brand that used to mean quality and prestige maybe still does ... there again equally possible it doesn't.

Was quite funny on a show last night with Mike Mason and the inventor of the (GX?) pillow. The inventor was saying along the lines of 'people get fed up being sold stuff that they're told will do this, that and the other ...'

Strangely for one often so loud, the best Mike could muster was a quiet, almost reluctant 'yeah' before he swiftly moved the conversation on.

I wonder why? ;)

This is the thing, they heavily promote based on brand. However as you've touched on, it doesn't always mean much. For example a brand might have been around for 100 years, however if it's changed hands a few times and if the subsequent owners haven't fully adhered to the values of the original owners, what does it even mean any more? And even if the brand hasn't changed hands, just because a brand genuinely meant quality x decades ago doesn't mean it still does. They might have dropped in quality (cheaper materials, outsourced manufacturers etc) to remain competitive.

So yeah, a brand that used to mean quality and prestige maybe still does ... there again equally possible it doesn't.

That's why, if you are a starting a collection or starting to buy more expensive watches, then you really need to investigate the brand as much as you can, lot's of information on brands across the internet, blogs, watch forums etc, even for those brands that try to keep details about themselves hidden. Last thing anyone should do is listen to advice from Ideal World. Although having said that, and despite the many fraudster brands on IW, there are some decent watchmaking brands there, and for the life of me can't understand why they would have the likes of Peter Simon anywhere near their watches.

Was quite funny on a show last night with Mike Mason and the inventor of the (GX?) pillow. The inventor was saying along the lines of 'people get fed up being sold stuff that they're told will do this, that and the other ...'

Strangely for one often so loud, the best Mike could muster was a quiet, almost reluctant 'yeah' before he swiftly moved the conversation on.

I wonder why? ;)

I've noticed recently how desperate Mason has been in telling the viewers how big he is on Integrity, and making outlandish claims is just not his style, as viewers would know.

I've noticed recently how desperate Mason has been in telling the viewers how big he is on Integrity, and making outlandish claims is just not his style, as viewers would know.

When people (in any setting) have to reaffirm with you that they're honest, genuine, a person of integrity etc, that in itself speaks volumes. Actions speak louder than words. It's like Peter's guff 'you know me, a tell it like it is ...'

Emmm, no you don't.

Oh no!!!!!! not the "Is that price correct?" buy it while we've got it showing:rolleyes: Jeezus

.Just the usual con trick, there is no way they would be going into a show without knowing products and prices etc, all this surprised and shocked at prices is just all smoke, mirrors and lies, they really do think, and treat, their viewers like :censored: idiots.

It's exactly same watch they did the wrong price with in Vostok shows recently, and £329.99 is the same price they were selling it at back in 2018. The only difference is it was £4.99 p&p back then instead of the £8.99 p&p now.
Peter Simon's claim the Aviator watch should be £4000. :eek::ROFLMAO: I need some of what he's drinking.

think they need to give Baselworld a rest, getting boring now, wouldn't be so bad if it were true, but most of the time, the watches wouldn't have been launched at Baselworld as they were already on the market last year, especially the Aviator watches.
Nearly all of the big name watch brands pulled out way before it was cancelled. As a market, it's finished now, this virus thing was just an excuse

Latest posts

Back