Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I get that brands like to link to their history and heritage, however as some are touching on here, the back stories for these watches are tenuous at best and that's being polite! Trying to link these (often hideous) 'timepieces' with tanks, planes or cars from yesteryear means diddly squat. Even if they stamp a pic of said thing on the back of the watch!

Stop press, I flicked over to IW this morning and they were selling something other than a watch...however the infomercial channels didn't let me down - every other one (actually more) were flogging matressess!

What really impresses me with their mattress shows is the way they use that small section of uncovered metal sprung mattress to demonstrate how rubbish it is. Me? Being sarcastic? Never! Whilst not denying there's not as much 'motion isolation' on traditional sprung mattresses, when they're full sized (i.e. not a 30cm x 30cm demo section) and covered in various materials and padding, they're not quite the torture devices IW would have you believe! Actually, I know people that still prefer them having tried the 'memory foam revolution!'

Having just watched the last few minutes of the DeLorean watch show I can honestly say the 'Launchpad' model must be the tackiest looking masterpiece of horology I've ever seen.

I was too late to hear if Shaun had bought one for 'mi mam'. I'm guessing so. Her spare bedroom must be so crammed with deliveries, I wonder if the old girl can actually get in there?

Tell me Shaun, why is "what celebrities think of Philip Stein" important? Do celebrities have some special qualities that make their opinions special or worth listening too?

The study in the Philip Stein also said

“In conclusion, wearing the WW resulted in improvements in cog-nitive ability, perceived stress, mood, and sleep quality over a 2-week period, albeit a significant placebo effect was observed. Thus, further research is needed examining NFT® as an effective, natural, nonpharmalogical way to reduce perceived stress and improve other health outcomes associated with perceived stress compared to pla-cebo. As well, research examining the longitudinal effects of NFT®in a variety of populations and its mechanisms of action underlying the effect are encouraged.”

In other words even the placebo group also showed improvements, personally I'm of the opinion that it's all in the mind that the improvement will come from not the bracelet/watch, if you believe the product will work then your mind will do the rest, the mind is a powerful healer.

Having just watched the last few minutes of the DeLorean watch show I can honestly say the 'Launchpad' model must be the tackiest looking masterpiece of horology I've ever seen.

I was too late to hear if Shaun had bought one for 'mi mam'. I'm guessing so. Her spare bedroom must be so crammed with deliveries, I wonder if the old girl can actually get in there?

Didn't know it was on, and just caught some of it while flicking through channels, noticed their GMT watches, the GMT hands were misaligned with the hour/minute hands.

I haven't tried the mattresses, so cannot comment on them, but it's my own personal experience of 'memory foam' as that it usually develops dementia.
I wondered why i was forgetting things :ROFLMAO: and before anyone says it i am not making light of dementia simply having a light hearted joke

Tell me Shaun, why is "what celebrities think of Philip Stein" important? Do celebrities have some special qualities that make their opinions special or worth listening too?

The study in the Philip Stein also said

“In conclusion, wearing the WW resulted in improvements in cog-nitive ability, perceived stress, mood, and sleep quality over a 2-week period, albeit a significant placebo effect was observed. Thus, further research is needed examining NFT® as an effective, natural, nonpharmalogical way to reduce perceived stress and improve other health outcomes associated with perceived stress compared to pla-cebo. As well, research examining the longitudinal effects of NFT®in a variety of populations and its mechanisms of action underlying the effect are encouraged.”

In other words even the placebo group also showed improvements, personally I'm of the opinion that it's all in the mind that the improvement will come from not the bracelet/watch, if you believe the product will work then your mind will do the rest, the mind is a powerful healer.

I tend to agree with you. I suppose, as with anything, if you have the cash to buy this and it 'helps' you with no physical damage then perhaps no real harm done whether placebo or otherwise. However I would definitely take the claims with a pinch of salt. And although size doesn't always matter, the clinical study comprised ... 12 people!

And yes, just as I take NO heed of what celebs say on stuff like politics, equally the fact some of them endorse this means diddly squat to me as I become ever more cynical :) However it again points to the buyer demographic IW targets i.e. those for which it does carry weight that 'celebs like the product.'

I tend to agree with you. I suppose, as with anything, if you have the cash to buy this and it 'helps' you with no physical damage then perhaps no real harm done whether placebo or otherwise. However I would definitely take the claims with a pinch of salt. And although size doesn't always matter, the clinical study comprised ... 12 people!

And yes, just as I take NO heed of what celebs say on stuff like politics, equally the fact some of them endorse this means diddly squat to me as I become ever more cynical :) However it again points to the buyer demographic IW targets i.e. those for which it does carry weight that 'celebs like the product.'

I don't know why it's 12, there is a sleep study and stress study and neither has on 12 participants, one has 44 & the other had 40, unless they just took the 12 participants with the most improved results from the studies to use. ;):ROFLMAO:
Yeah, as you say, if folks are happy and think it's working then that's fine, their money. I think it similar with folks that wear copper bracelets or magnets, some find they help, some don't, again with these IMO it's mostly a mind thing.
I suppose they use the " what celebs think" because a fair chunk of the society seems to be obsessed with what they celebs get up to, what they wear etc. Like you endorsement by a celeb is more likely to have a negative effect on me rather than positive.

You'll very likely have heard the phrase 'abuse of the English language'?

Well, to me, using the phrase 'last chance to buy' is just such an abuse if not factually accurate. IW use it quite frequently, as do other channels no doubt, whether a strap line on screen or the presenter shouting 'LAST CHANCE, so check out your baskets NOW!'

Only it's not our last chance, is it. Okay maybe sometimes it is e.g. if item is end of life or limited edition. However more often than not, in reality it's only our 'last chance' until the item next comes to air, which can sometimes be within days, usually weeks at most.

So I reckon the strap lines should read as follows:

Last chance to buy! (until a week tomorrow)

:)

Mr Locke on the ITV shows, was flogging a re conditioned iPhone SE, and he started almost bragging that he was going to be buying his son the Newest and best IPhone going for being a good boy.

i thought he was meant to be broke.

Reminds me of the dads army episode when pike was allegedly being called up when Frazer a true scot like my self said he has been a good boy i suggest a collection maximum sixpence:) come to think of it you could probable do a lot with sixpence in 1940 ish

You'll very likely have heard the phrase 'abuse of the English language'?

Well, to me, using the phrase 'last chance to buy' is just such an abuse if not factually accurate. IW use it quite frequently, as do other channels no doubt, whether a strap line on screen or the presenter shouting 'LAST CHANCE, so check out your baskets NOW!'

Only it's not our last chance, is it. Okay maybe sometimes it is e.g. if item is end of life or limited edition. However more often than not, in reality it's only our 'last chance' until the item next comes to air, which can sometimes be within days, usually weeks at most.

So I reckon the strap lines should read as follows:

Last chance to buy! (until a week tomorrow)

:)

I've lost count of the amount of times they've used the "last chance to buy" phrase, virtually every watch show has that phrase used at least once only to have another show a week later. :ROFLMAO:

Tell you what I find amusing.

Often I have noticed by 9.20 pm, 20 minutes into a POTD the presenter will say something like we have 20 on phone and web, but it’s selling like it will sell out.

If it has taken 20 minutes on a Launch to get 20 wanting that item, in my eyes it’s not popular.

Dirty Peter does this mostly

It always amuses me with Tefal (or other) pan shows, no matter the presenter, they all have pans falling out of their disorganised cluttered cupboards. The pans always improves their cooking and the thermo spot makes cooking easy. :unsure:
I've a mixture of pans, Meyer, Tefal & Asda cheap pans and my cooking is the same in each, non of them improve or worsen my cooking, oh and my pans never fall out of the cupboards or are disorganised. :)

It always amuses me with Tefal (or other) pan shows, no matter the presenter, they all have pans falling out of their disorganised cluttered cupboards. The pans always improves their cooking and the thermo spot makes cooking easy. :unsure:
I've a mixture of pans, Meyer, Tefal & Asda cheap pans and my cooking is the same in each, non of them improve or worsen my cooking, oh and my pans never fall out of the cupboards or are disorganised. :)

I have to admit I've bought a few Tefal pans over the years but have never (and I mean never) used the thermo spot :) not saying it doesn't do what it's supposed to and might be useful for others, I've just never had a need to and no, I'm not a culinary expert!

Yeah it's back to this thing of convincing us why we need these specific pans, so they'll lay it on thick about struggling to find pans in their cluttered cupboards, how the thermo spot saved them spoiling a £100 steak etc etc. So transparent.

And you've hit the nail on the head. Whilst things like non-stick might save the rubbish cook compared to non non-stick pans, if you struggle with the basics cooking wise then different cooking pans and utensils won't make much if any difference.

If you have a good quality steak for example, all I do is put it in a little oil over a medium heat and turn it every 2-3 mins until it's done to my liking. I reckon I could do this in a £10 pan or a £100 pan and the steak would be just as enjoyable, because the 'taste' is coming from the steak, nowt to do with the pan :) even all this talk of cold spots etc, if you manage the food whilst it's in the pan (e.g. turn and/or stir now and again) it'll come out just fine, trust me :)

Latest posts

Back