Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Mr Locke on the ITV shows, was flogging a re conditioned iPhone SE, and he started almost bragging that he was going to be buying his son the Newest and best IPhone going for being a good boy.

i thought he was meant to be broke.
Rob Locke bragging? Surely not. Is he doing a Crowdfunding page to fund his son's phone?

I’m sure a while ago, they were selling some kinda Collectables one off, it was in a basket, and Rob was like, if you want this item, order it, as I was looking at it myself.

He has recently been doing some Shows on Create and Craft, spends Most of the time talking about USA and his overnight shows

Noooooo, I'm NOT believing that for a second ;)

Probably not, but they are good phones spec wise for the price, and it's only the very latest releases that are effected, my Honor 10 still has all the Google stuff and is still getting all the updates, just recently updates to Andriod 10.

Okay, but promise me if you see a small periscope rise up from it, scan the room and then disappear back into the case, that you'll put the phone directly into the bin, yes? :)

Okay, but promise me if you see a small periscope rise up from it, scan the room and then disappear back into the case, that you'll put the phone directly into the bin, yes? :)

They'd be wasting their time, unfortunately I don't have any insured, stunning, luxurious, expensive and highly collectable, like Swan & Edgar, Earnshaw, Morphic, Heritor etc in my collection, I've just got from crappy brands, so nothing worth scanning for in my house. :(:ROFLMAO:

Mine doesn't have the "periscope", it's the 9x and newer that has them, although mine is an Honor 10, the 9x is actually the newer phone.

i have a P30 , great phone had a Honor 10 before that , sadly will be by last Huawei / Honor as no Google

There is absolutely no excuse whatsoever in them making no reference to the lack of GMS on the new Huawei phones. Whilst it doesn't particularly bother me, (as part of me is actually glad to be free of the 'always watching you' Google effect), others rely on those services. I knew in advance about the issue, wanted the camera, and bought a P40 Pro regardless of it a month or two back and got a free Huawei smart watch as a sweetener for doing so. But trying to find workarounds for the many shortcomings, including lack of Google Maps and navigation facilities, plus other non-Google apps I need either not working or not there at all are a huge pain to try to establish.

There is no way it wasn't known and they did include a screen message to that effect on the promo picture of the P40 on the website - easily missed, though. An editorial decision presumably was made that mentioning the Google issue was the 'kiss of death' for the presentation, so best just to ignore it. I wonder what the returns will be on the phone?

Don't get me wrong - Huawei make some fantastic phones. But until they develop their own platforms to match Google's - buyers are essentially testing out the unfinished items and WILL face a lot of inconvenience and frustration during that time as a result.

Bamix show finished after the first show, was to be second from 10.30 when Shaun said they were going to a quick break. He didn't reappear but a repeat wobbly board with Dee Knees instead.

Maybe his yorkshires flopped.

Hmm, I was looking at one of the Huawei phones the other night. I'd be moving from my ancient iPhone 4S so it seemed like a good fit and the lack of Google Services doesn't really bother me, but I can see that other people here are not happy about it at all.

Can I ask why? I'm not being funny, but they're not going to sit there and tell you all the features something DOESN'T have. It'd be like me going to buy my new Fiesta and being told by the salesman "Just so you know, this doesn't have a supercharged V12, like a Jaguar. Oh, and it doesn't have radar guidance like a Mercedes. OH, and it isn't a convertible, like a Porsche Boxster."

Did they out and out lie? Did they say it could do something it couldn't? Because if not, I just don't see the issue.

Hmm, I was looking at one of the Huawei phones the other night. I'd be moving from my ancient iPhone 4S so it seemed like a good fit and the lack of Google Services doesn't really bother me, but I can see that other people here are not happy about it at all.

Can I ask why? I'm not being funny, but they're not going to sit there and tell you all the features something DOESN'T have. It'd be like me going to buy my new Fiesta and being told by the salesman "Just so you know, this doesn't have a supercharged V12, like a Jaguar. Oh, and it doesn't have radar guidance like a Mercedes. OH, and it isn't a convertible, like a Porsche Boxster."

Did they out and out lie? Did they say it could do something it couldn't? Because if not, I just don't see the issue.

You cant get Google play store on it, as most apps are on Google or Apple you will be missing out on loads of apps, like online banking for example

Just checked on my P30 as it has the Huawei App Gallery and my bank first direct is not listed, or halifax or natwest

Im sure they will just get loads of returns when people find out

You cant get Google play store on it, as most apps are on Google or Apple you will be missing out on loads of apps, like online banking for example

Just checked on my P30 as it has the Huawei App Gallery and my bank first direct is not listed, or halifax or natwest

Im sure they will just get loads of returns when people find out

That's a bit basically rubbish then isn't it. I'll admit I know little or nothing about mobile phone technology and have had various android phones before and currently use an Iphone …I never had any trouble getting the apps that I want and need.. So I'd take it for granted that a modern smartphone would be able to allow me to get everything I needed, especially banking. Yes they're going to get a fair old few returns I'd think. I understand that they can't harp on about what the phone can't do..but with things as basic as banking and maps at least they could tell you the uk banks they do have an app for (that's if they do) and show what map facility you can have. However, I know a couple of people at work who have Huawei handsets and they seem happy with them obviously they're not bothered about/don't do online banking or aren't particularly bothered about having google maps. Weirdly enough a lot of our stuff at work like our rotas rely upon google platforms, I'm presuming that they can't view their rotas without looking at one of the work computers or they have the apps downloaded on their home computers..but even so I couldn't imagine not being able to have such useful information at my fingertips. I'm guessing it must do some things well but it sounds pretty restrictive to me!

I agree that you don't have to focus on what a phone or any other product doesn't do in normal terms. But if you continue on the car analogy - I think if your new Fiesta wasn't allowed to use any motorway services because Ford had fallen out with the companies providing them, you might be grateful to be given the nod by the sales person this was the case prior to buying, and would probably a bit miffed when trying to stop for a much needed break and getting turned away if you hadn't been.

The key for me is there is a natural expectation that when you buy an android mobile phone it will have an app store where any mainstream one you wish for is available, a maps navigation system and access to the many other services Google offers. This phone just doesn't not have them - it has been barred from having them, and as yet cannot offer equal alternatives for many of the missing things. It SHOULD have been raised - even for 30 seconds at the beginning. But no..they go off on those ridiculous and hysterically inaccurate overinflated price comparisons and all the other BS they are so good at.

I agree that you don't have to focus on what a phone or any other product doesn't do in normal terms. But if you continue on the car analogy - I think if your new Fiesta wasn't allowed to use any motorway services because Ford had fallen out with the companies providing them, you might be grateful to be given the nod by the sales person this was the case prior to buying, and would probably a bit miffed when trying to stop for a much needed break and getting turned away if you hadn't been.

The key for me is there is a natural expectation that when you buy an android mobile phone it will have an app store where any mainstream one you wish for is available, a maps navigation system and access to the many other services Google offers. This phone just doesn't not have them - it has been barred from having them, and as yet cannot offer equal alternatives for many of the missing things. It SHOULD have been raised - even for 30 seconds at the beginning. But no..they go off on those ridiculous and hysterically inaccurate overinflated price comparisons and all the other BS they are so good at.

I think that is the important issue, it's a feature that is normally installed on Huawei phones, and although most of us will know about the row involving Huawei and the consequences, some out there won't be so clue'd up and therefore would think they are buying an Android phone with the usual array of apps, which includes google.
I agree, a quick mention at the start explaining it won't have the usual selection of apps you would see on other Huawei & Honor phones, instead of the silly pantomime act, would have done the trick.

Latest posts

Back