Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Definitely must be on something, it just gets sillier and sillier as shows go on, the desperate pleas to check out and over the top descriptions.

On his claim, I suppose in a way, if aimed at IW watch collectors, the statement could be true, given that their collections are full of the likes of Swan & Edgar, Earnshaw, Reign, Heritor etc, etc. Of course that then makes an absolute mockery of previous claims from them that watches from these brands are comparable in quality with top Swiss brands. But if you are a non IW watch collectors watching for a laugh that statement definitely isn’t true. ;)
Okay, we accept that salespeople do this (corny salespeople that is) i.e. they build the tension to the point where buyers make a purchase whether they need the product or not. Think Del Boy selling ski equipment in the middle of a very warm London. After his spiel the punters are throwing fivers at him.

However salespeople are either good at this technique or they're not.

IW presenters aren't. Most of them that attempt it e.g. Peter S, Mike M, Paul B, just come across as howling lunatics. Mind you, if we were seeing the sales figures, I'd maybe be made to eat my words. What we need are two IW's in parallel universes. One manic, the other calm. But with the same viewers. Then, after a year, review sales of each to see what technique works best.

I love watches and mainly tune in just for the watch shows. I came onto this forum to get rid of some of the frustration after listening to the likes of Mr. Malaprop and others who spout out the same guff about the quality of some obviously inferior brands. I don’t know how they get away with it. Putting this down in writing has probably saved me from throwing something at the TV and causing serious damage. I just really don’t know how one of them in particular keeps his job.
That's exactly why I found this forum too. I used to hurl expletives at the screen during the watch shows, and before I hurled something more solid, I found this place to vent my spleen(y) Lots of like minded individuals here and very informative, especially, like you, I'm interested in watches so that's all I, err, watch:D
I sometimes watch the DIY shows as I like a good laugh at some of the "experts," having been on the tools for 30 years.

I love watches and mainly tune in just for the watch shows. I came onto this forum to get rid of some of the frustration after listening to the likes of Mr. Malaprop and others who spout out the same guff about the quality of some obviously inferior brands. I don’t know how they get away with it. Putting this down in writing has probably saved me from throwing something at the TV and causing serious damage. I just really don’t know how one of them in particular keeps his job.

That's exactly why I found this forum too. I used to hurl expletives at the screen during the watch shows, and before I hurled something more solid, I found this place to vent my spleen(y) Lots of like minded individuals here and very informative, especially, like you, I'm interested in watches so that's all I, err, watch:D
I sometimes watch the DIY shows as I like a good laugh at some of the "experts," having been on the tools for 30 years.

Yep, same reason I arrived here, being cursed with this never ending addiction to collecting watches, the hunt for something new or different landed me watching IW watch shows, like you guys, couldn't believe the utter nonsense and lies being spouted and similarly have felt quite a few times like trashing the TV with anger. Although still get angry at times, because in reality we're are witnessing some really deceitful and at times fraudulent behaviour on the the part of IW and their guests, have learned just to laugh at the sheer idiocy of the presenters and so called guests experts, but do have sympathy for the many that are falling prey to these fraudsters.
If even one post here persuades a potential Ideal world customer, to question what they are being told on screen and do some research and make a more informed decision on whether to buy or not, rather than just relying on IW's sales patter then that makes me happy.

Whether selling plastic pouches of sauce with a few small pieces of food in them or any other product, as we've touched on before, the urgency they display to 'BUY NOW!' is based on absolutely nothing. Why? Cause at worst the product will be making ANOTHER appearance at ANOTHER great price either days, weeks or perhaps months down the line. The only real exception being products that are genuine end of lines, not coming back and you want that specific make/model. So, from a buyers perspective, you can actually take the opposite approach to your buying and chill chill chill. Cause a bit like buses, if the product you want has sold out/isn't there ... another 3 will be along shortly ;)

It's when they put on the sincere face and claim "it's your last chance to buy, we don't know when or if we'll ever get them back", and we all know they'll have more soon and in some cases they've another show within days. :ROFLMAO:

Okay, we accept that salespeople do this (corny salespeople that is) i.e. they build the tension to the point where buyers make a purchase whether they need the product or not. Think Del Boy selling ski equipment in the middle of a very warm London. After his spiel the punters are throwing fivers at him.

However salespeople are either good at this technique or they're not.

IW presenters aren't. Most of them that attempt it e.g. Peter S, Mike M, Paul B, just come across as howling lunatics. Mind you, if we were seeing the sales figures, I'd maybe be made to eat my words. What we need are two IW's in parallel universes. One manic, the other calm. But with the same viewers. Then, after a year, review sales of each to see what technique works best.

As we've mentioned quite a few times, there is no need for the over the top sales patter, in fact IMO I believe that many potential customers are put off by these tactics. Basically for most IW products, there is nothing wrong with the products and quite often prices are very good or ok, so there is no need for all the nonsense they spout, just be honest about the products they're selling, treat the viewers like grown ups and not f'ing idiots and they'll attract even more customers. At present to me they are just a very unprofessional, unethical, joke of a channel. They're behaviour is more like folk selling from a dodgy market stall in some back street market than say staff in a high street shop would behave.

CCCP watches tonight then

Yeah, CCCP, Peter Simon's Russian watch brand with a long history and heritage.
Just a shame that the brand is not Russian, never has been Russian and is not made in Russia, and any history & heritage belongs to the movements and not the brand. :ROFLMAO:

The guest actually knows about watches, but last time, although he kept himself right, he didn't go far enough to correct or contradict Peter Simon's nonsense. Kinda gives confused and mixed information to the uninformed customers. Of course being new and his own business going belly up recently he probably doesn't want to rock the boat too much.

I sensed that Kevin was losing his cool with DP (his dear friend of over 30 years) last night

I think he gets frustrated in not being able to say much

They are all guilty of butting in, think this lot of presenters like the sound of their own voices too much, their ego just takes over.
Wouldn't be so bad if they actually had something worthwhile to say, but most of the time it's a mix of utter gibberish or ignorant nonsense, oh and with a sprinkling of lies thrown in.

It's when they put on the sincere face and claim "it's your last chance to buy, we don't know when or if we'll ever get them back", and we all know they'll have more soon and in some cases they've another show within days. :ROFLMAO:
What I'd love is if their studio had a clear large window behind the presenter. Then to see a presenter, selling lets say Bissell carpet cleaners, saying 'once they're gone they're gone folks!!!' And JUST at that point, in the background, we see a Bissell lorry reversing past the window making a fresh delivery :) BEEP ... BEEP .... BEEP (that's the noise of the reverse warning thingy!)

Latest posts

Back