Recommended books

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

loveallthingsitalian

Registered Shopper
I’ve noticed that this thread hasn’t had any reviews or recommendations and wondered why.

Perhaps folk think others might consider their choice not highbrow enough? I know I was once pulled apart for a book review on another forum so never posted another.

I believe that it doesn’t matter what you read just read something - I can’t imagine not reading everyday. I’m fortunate to have my own time to indulge which others might not.

Anyway here goes. I read a lot covering a lot of subjects but at present like either Scandie crime or anything with a twist in the tail. I don’t read romance now but in my “yoof” I devoured it like smarties.

I have flu at the moment so I’ve been in bed and when not feeling like death warmed up, have been passing the time reading a series called Middle Falls time travel. If you liked The Time Traveller’s Wife type I think you will like these. I started with the trilogy books 1|3 and am now on 4-6. There are further ones not in sets (1-6 are also sold singly). You can read them in any order but I would suggest book one to set the scene. The one I wouldn’t pick as a first read is
The Final Life of Nathaniel Moon as I thought it was the weakest.

This isn’t a deep read, in fact might even be considered a young adult book but it has passed the time for me so I thought I would post here.

Perhaps this will revive the thread for a while as I always enjoy a pointer towards a book I may not aware of.

Get better soon Lati. I like a good book there's nothing better, I like thrillers or historical novels or about history, I also love a good biography. Saying that, I read a Street Cat Named Bob recently and loved it. It's about a homeless guy who got a flat, then took a stray cat in, he was injured so he took his last few pound and spent it on antibiotics for the cat, anyway the cat went busking with him, long story short, you give out love and compassion and you get it ten fold back, he now has several successful books and both him, James and his cat Bob are loved around the world, and now they both never have to worry were their next meal is coming from.

Get better soon Lati. I like a good book there's nothing better, I like thrillers or historical novels or about history, I also love a good biography. Saying that, I read a Street Cat Named Bob recently and loved it. It's about a homeless guy who got a flat, then took a stray cat in, he was injured so he took his last few pound and spent it on antibiotics for the cat, anyway the cat went busking with him, long story short, you give out love and compassion and you get it ten fold back, he now has several successful books and both him, James and his cat Bob are loved around the world, and now they both never have to worry were their next meal is coming from.

I absolutely love that book.

It’s the most heartwarming/heartbreaking book I’ve read for a long, long time, I read it in one day you know, I just couldn’t put it down.

I totally agree with your opinion that it doesn't matter what you read as long as you read something & I found it totally depressing when the students at school would say they 'hated' reading. I'm a fiction reader, although I do have a biography of Maggie Smith waiting to be opened. I have loads of favourite authors from Miss Read to J K Rowling & back. The best book I've read this year was The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, I thought I'd like it because I enjoyed the correspondence style of 84 Charing Cross Road but I never expected it to be so utterly wonderful. I'm currently reading two - an Agatha Raisin & The Love Letter by Lucinda Riley which I'm finding heavy going because I don't like any of the characters. English at 'O' level & 'A' level put me off the classics but my favourite modern classic is Rebecca &, along with a copy of The Children of Green Knowe (best book from childhood) & one of Defrosting Edmund by Nina Dufort, my original book is coming with me into the afterlife. Blimey that's got me going, I love reading & there's just something about a book. I hope this epic hasn't worn you out, get well soon.

One of the first books I ever bought was "Amytiville Horror" I was thrilled walking home from Woolies with my new book, the smell and the feel of it was so exciting, couldn't wait to get home and dive in. :mysmilie_3:

As my taste in literature develops and changes, I do however draw the line at Fibby Flints slutty novels and QVCs wannabe authors :mysmilie_17:

My childhood was spent obsessed with the Anne of Green Gables books. I re read them again a few years ago and cried my eyes out all over again. Daft sod.

My childhood was spent obsessed with the Anne of Green Gables books. I re read them again a few years ago and cried my eyes out all over again. Daft sod.

You were not! I loved her too & secretly hankered after red hair & freckles, I also e-read Anne of Windy Willows this summer. Mind you, when i was 10 I read Polly of Primrose Hill, one of the characters was called Damaris & she was in a wheelchair after having a fall, I thought this was terribly romantic, my mum, on the other hand, was horrified.

A close second favourite was the Katy books.

I think we must have had a thing about characters spending years in bed/wheelchairs.

Although I did read about boarding schools I got bored with them quite quickly.

A close second favourite was the Katy books.

I think we must have had a thing about characters spending years in bed/wheelchairs.

Although I did read about boarding schools I got bored with them quite quickly.

They were fabulous, even if I found some of the references to life in 19th century America mystifying - jumbles & crullers sounded so unusual when I was nine. I also loved her little sister Elsie & always said if I had a daughter that would be her name, Mr T just said "Tanner" (he uses Corrie for much of his humour & quotes) & that name hit the dust. I also agree about any boarding school stories, I was obviously not a jolly hockey sticks girl.

Latest posts

Back