Red Carpet System??

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

mollymoo

Registered Shopper
I haven't been well lately and my nails have suffered. I've used OPI envy, nail magic, Dr Lewins all no good.
My daughter said to get them gel'd or acrylic'd (not right words!!) to strengthen them - I don't want false ones though. My thumb nail has a split in the middle going down and nothing stops it going splitting into my nail bed..ouch

I've looked at stacks of led/UV lights etc and don't know which is any good - is Q's Red Carpet one OK or should I get a more professional kit?

I'd worry that the gel or acrylic would seep through the split and come into contact with the nail bed of your thumb. It might be worth asking somewhere that applies gel nails whether this would be a problem. That said, I'm sure I read about a similar split and there was a technique for supporting the nail to keep the two sides of the split together as it grows up. I think the problem with a central split is if it widens as it grows it keeps the split going. If I could just remember what the solution was! I don't think it was as simple as sticking plaster, but possibly applying a home made nail bandage made from a tea bag would work: Sacrifice an unused tea bag and cut a tiny piece to cover the split, apply a layer of nail glue (Savers sell a brush-on one which works well for this technique) position (with tweezers) the tea bag bandage over the split and paint on another layer of glue. Don't touch til it's dry.
There are lots of nail experts on here so maybe someone will have a better idea because it sounds really uncomfortable; I bet it catches on clothing etc.

Before buying a gel system, please think about how removing the gel might affect your damaged nail and nail bed. Will soaking in strong acetone for up to 20 minutes be painful? if so, avoid ALL gel systems like RCM. Proper soaking is essential or you will badly damage the nails during removal.

If you really want to go ahead with a gel system:
- Buff off the natural shine as lightly as possible if at all. Your gel might not last as long if you don't roughen the nail but you don't risk your natural nail health so much.
- Don't bother with applying gel colour. Just do several clear gel base/top coats and apply normal nail polish on top if you like. Then if the gel starts to chip you will be able to patch with normal clear base coat and not be tempted to pick off the gel colour which would be very very bad for the nail. The gel gives a lovely stable smooth base for normal colour so it looks good and lasts much longer than usual anyway.
- Good tip from Akimbo about tea bag bandages. I know vertical splits are more tricky but I've successfully grown out horizontal splits this way with gel on top to make it rock solid.
- Be really conscientious about applying cuticle oil several times a day. Elsewhere on this forum users have suggested soaking nails in almond oil after RCM to help restore moisture.
- Sensationail is easier to remove than RCM so needs less harsh soaking and it often comes off in one piece after a short soak so I think it's kinder to nails. It's a bit less faff than RCM because there is a single product for base and top coat whereas RCM has a base coat and separate top coat. The RCM base coat is thicker and can be difficult to stretch out to get a really thin even coat.

Some users have found gel systems give great results for a few weeks or months and they have great long nails. Then nails can suddenly become brittle and break and they are back where they started.

Consider a supplement like chlorella powder which can really boost nail health.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

there was a review for gel nails online. i have the boots sensationail and i love it. my nails dont grow very well chronic illness and meds mean they wont ever grow long and are ridged flaky and soft. this reviewer said that she preferred red carpet manicure as it lasted a bit longer and had a better finish. i bought the boots sensationail as it was £60 with a nicer shaped lamp and two colours. qvc are selling the red carpet manicure for over £100 but it is a very big kit.

my nails are not long but they look groomed and pretty. makes me feel better in myself

there was a review for gel nails online. i have the boots sensationail and i love it. my nails dont grow very well chronic illness and meds mean they wont ever grow long and are ridged flaky and soft. this reviewer said that she preferred red carpet manicure as it lasted a bit longer and had a better finish. i bought the boots sensationail as it was £60 with a nicer shaped lamp and two colours. qvc are selling the red carpet manicure for over £100 but it is a very big kit.

my nails are not long but they look groomed and pretty. makes me feel better in myself

Another vote for Sensationail. My top tip is to fill a big bowl with boiling water, then place a smaller glass bowl within it full of acetone. Speeds up removal no end.

Before buying a gel system, please think about how removing the gel might affect your damaged nail and nail bed. Will soaking in strong acetone for up to 20 minutes be painful? if so, avoid ALL gel systems like RCM. Proper soaking is essential or you will badly damage the nails during removal.

If you really want to go ahead with a gel system:
- Buff off the natural shine as lightly as possible if at all. Your gel might not last as long if you don't roughen the nail but you don't risk your natural nail health so much.
- Don't bother with applying gel colour. Just do several clear gel base/top coats and apply normal nail polish on top if you like. Then if the gel starts to chip you will be able to patch with normal clear base coat and not be tempted to pick off the gel colour which would be very very bad for the nail. The gel gives a lovely stable smooth base for normal colour so it looks good and lasts much longer than usual anyway.
- Good tip from Akimbo about tea bag bandages. I know vertical splits are more tricky but I've successfully grown out horizontal splits this way with gel on top to make it rock solid.
- Be really conscientious about applying cuticle oil several times a day. Elsewhere on this forum users have suggested soaking nails in almond oil after RCM to help restore moisture.
- Sensationail is easier to remove than RCM so needs less harsh soaking and it often comes off in one piece after a short soak so I think it's kinder to nails. It's a bit less faff than RCM because there is a single product for base and top coat whereas RCM has a base coat and separate top coat. The RCM base coat is thicker and can be difficult to stretch out to get a really thin even coat.

Some users have found gel systems give great results for a few weeks or months and they have great long nails. Then nails can suddenly become brittle and break and they are back where they started.

Consider a supplement like chlorella powder which can really boost nail health.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Fab post. Very useful! Thank you.

Another vote for Sensationail. My top tip is to fill a big bowl with boiling water, then place a smaller glass bowl within it full of acetone. Speeds up removal no end.

i really enjoy doing my nails and it lasts about 10 days on me. i have been using this since october and still have loads of products left. i bought a floral kipling puppy wash bag to keep everything together. happy to have pretty nails to go with my gold eekk

i really enjoy doing my nails and it lasts about 10 days on me. i have been using this since october and still have loads of products left. i bought a floral kipling puppy wash bag to keep everything together. happy to have pretty nails to go with my gold eekk

Oh wow, 10 days? That's excellent! Shellac will stay just about 2 weeks but Sensationail usually just over a week before chipping. Normal nail polish - less than a day, ha ha! I despair. I sit still for as long as I can but I always end up with little imperfections, and they chip within hours. That's why I bough the Sensationail kit, to have at least a few days of lovely manicured nails!

Any tips would be be appreciated :tongue:

Someone posted about a salon nail treatment system that had improved their nails a lot. Hope they they see this thread and post. I may have kept it as a favourite on my other tablet. Will look when I have time

my tips for perfect nails are take your time. i need just under 2 hours to do my nails properly. removal is at least 25mins.

apply the prep quite generously one dip for each nail. this really adds to it adhering.

the base coat is very very oily. i find one dip does all five nails. do not get this on your skin. it will burn you when your fingers are under the lamp ...ouch!

paint your nails with precision its going to last a while and you want them to look neat for the duration. go as near as you can go to the cuticle without touching it. i find this grows quite fast so take your time.

keep an orange stick to clean up as you go along. they help soak up any tiny spillages fast and thorough.

shake the colour very well. the texture becomes very fluid and makes it easier to paint your nails neatly. i shake as much as i can.

take care with top coat. its oily and one dip is more than enough for both hands.

i like sensationails led lamp it has a timer and is very easy to cure. 30 secs for base and top coat. 60 secs for each layer of colour. it beeps once for 30 secs and for 60 secs the light goes out. i think it looks a lot nicer than the red carpet manicure travel lamp.

buy a nice bag to keep your kit it. love the kipling puppy. big enough to hold everything. buy it on amazon not qvc.

you can use the wraps over and over again. i am still using the same wraps since october. i know its a bit mean of me but hey they cost £6 a box of 20.

use any oil the acetone can really dry out the cuticles.

enjoy. i love my new groomed nails. they are short like alexis of l'occitane's are but thats still a nice groomed look

Thank you for all the help. I tried the tea bag and nail glue and it worked a bit - so maybe do that again to support the split before going ahead with the gel etc.
I've looked at the link for IBX - wow it's expensive but then again at the minute I'll do anything to get them sorted.
I'm now going to print all the helpful ideas/tips and have a good read.
Thank you for your help

my tips for perfect nails are take your time. i need just under 2 hours to do my nails properly. removal is at least 25mins.

apply the prep quite generously one dip for each nail. this really adds to it adhering.

the base coat is very very oily. i find one dip does all five nails. do not get this on your skin. it will burn you when your fingers are under the lamp ...ouch!

paint your nails with precision its going to last a while and you want them to look neat for the duration. go as near as you can go to the cuticle without touching it. i find this grows quite fast so take your time.

keep an orange stick to clean up as you go along. they help soak up any tiny spillages fast and thorough.

shake the colour very well. the texture becomes very fluid and makes it easier to paint your nails neatly. i shake as much as i can.

take care with top coat. its oily and one dip is more than enough for both hands.

i like sensationails led lamp it has a timer and is very easy to cure. 30 secs for base and top coat. 60 secs for each layer of colour. it beeps once for 30 secs and for 60 secs the light goes out. i think it looks a lot nicer than the red carpet manicure travel lamp.

buy a nice bag to keep your kit it. love the kipling puppy. big enough to hold everything. buy it on amazon not qvc.

you can use the wraps over and over again. i am still using the same wraps since october. i know its a bit mean of me but hey they cost £6 a box of 20.

use any oil the acetone can really dry out the cuticles.

enjoy. i love my new groomed nails. they are short like alexis of l'occitane's are but thats still a nice groomed look

Thank you! I don't take that long, maybe I should! I will bear that in mind about the base and top coats. Maybe that could be a factor. I was thinking of trying the base and top coats and just painting a normal polish on top today. I am in love with Nails Inc Victoria and Albert (bright red) at the moment, and bright red looks a bit 'trampy' when chipped, haha! I have a lovely black OPI manicure case and an acrylic box which stores polishes, and a little manicure lap tray with a cushion underneath! It does make a difference having somewhere decent to store them all. Mine aren't what's considered long either, but they have grown like mad since I've started having regular Shellac and gel done. In fact, have just booked in with my sis in law for Shellac in 2 weeks time, so I will have a play around in the meantime.

I had a gel manicure in Selfridges using Ibx, it cost me £35 but I was told any subsequent manicures would only cost £30, i was very impressed with it, even Shellac chipped on me after a couple of days but this didn't, it lasted a good couple of weeks which is the best I have had for longevity, would certainly be having it again,

Latest posts

Back