Refusing a delivery

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

China Girl

Registered Shopper
I ordered an Elemis item on advanced orders recently, It was due to be sent out from 15 Feb.
On Friday I rang customer service to cancel my order, I had changed my mind about it. They said it had just been processed and was on it's way to me.I was just told to refuse delivery when it arrived and it would just be returned to them.
I've never done this before and am a bit worried about it. Will I need to ask for a receipt or something like that? or will the Hermes courier ask me to sign regarding the refusal?

Thanks.

I'm not sure if you will have to sign anything, but Hermes or post office just return it to sender and you will get all your money back, including postage.
Returns seem to taking longer than usual at the moment, probably busy processing all those Xmas returns.
Don't worry though, I've done it before with post office and it all went fine.

How fortuitous that it had just been processed when you were going to cancel despite other orders sitting "in process" for up to 4 days. They probably think you will have a change of mind if they make it difficult enough.

Cynical? Me?

I've successfully refused delivery from QVC with Hermes - they just click the relevant box on their hand-held gizmo. QVC will refund the p&p and the item price. BUT my new Hermes chap doesn't get a signature from me, like my previous chap, instead he ticks "delivered to letter box" on his device whilst he's still in his van then hands it to me on the door step. I know he does it to save time but it precludes me from refusing a delivery which is a minor nuisance.

slight tangent: I cancelled a Leighton Denny auto delivery 2 weeks before it was due to be despatched but Q still sent it. I explained that I wouldn't be able to refuse it (on this occasion because I'd be out). They emailed back and said they'd arrange a pick up the next day. Hermes chap arrived and I handed him the box. I asked if he could take a couple of other Q returns (expecting he'd refuse because when you arrange your own Hermes collection they'll only take that one Q parcel). He was happy to take them and the refunds came through very quickly. Apparently if Q book the collection you can piggy-back other returns on to that one...good to know! (ofcourse other Hermes couriers may do things differently - results my vary!)

I have, at last,received my refunds for items returned nearly 2 weeks ago.
Usually QVC send an email stating they have received the return and have processed the refund, but nothing this time. I know they have been showing as returned on my order page for 5 days, but no email had been sent, so I checked my credit card statement and the refunds have gone on.
Not sure why the're not sending emails out ?

My Hermes chap has started to leave my parcels at the door, no bell or knock to try and get hold of me! I only know he has been because I monitor the tracking. I think it is a new chap as my lovely laid back Rasta guy was never here early. But I would never be able to refuse a delivery with the new one as it is just marked up as delivered and left.

I ordered a Nails Inc collection which was delivered by Hermes. When I opened it, the lid was not secured on one of the polishes and it had leaked. I phoned CS and asked them to get Hermes to collect it and I was told that because it was below 2kg, Q would send me a label to return it through the post! Now why was that? It was cheaper to return by post but a lot more hassle as they don't like nail polishes and chemicals etc. Is it because Q can charge the customer more if it's despatched via Hermes? It doesn't make sense to me.

I asked if he could take a couple of other Q returns (expecting he'd refuse because when you arrange your own Hermes collection they'll only take that one Q parcel). He was happy to take them and the refunds came through very quickly. Apparently if Q book the collection you can piggy-back other returns on to that one...good to know! (ofcourse other Hermes couriers may do things differently - results my vary!)
I used to do this until my courier told me that he would only pick up a parcel that Q assigned to him.

I have, at last,received my refunds for items returned nearly 2 weeks ago.
Usually QVC send an email stating they have received the return and have processed the refund, but nothing this time. I know they have been showing as returned on my order page for 5 days, but no email had been sent, so I checked my credit card statement and the refunds have gone on.
Not sure why the're not sending emails out ?
I haven't received an email either for something I returned in January.

I ordered a Nails Inc collection which was delivered by Hermes. When I opened it, the lid was not secured on one of the polishes and it had leaked. I phoned CS and asked them to get Hermes to collect it and I was told that because it was below 2kg, Q would send me a label to return it through the post! Now why was that? It was cheaper to return by post but a lot more hassle as they don't like nail polishes and chemicals etc. Is it because Q can charge the customer more if it's despatched via Hermes? It doesn't make sense to me.

I had this argument with CS as well and they just wouldn't have it, so I had to go to my overcrowded PO on the dreaded high street.
Shopping from the comfort of your own home? How about returning things the same way? Or we are there to buy and not to return?

That's odd because Royal Mail won't accept 4 or more polishes sent together in a single parcel, the only real option would be Hermes any way. Since the item was damaged Q should have arranged a Hermes collection.

The only disadvantage in refusing or having a QVC-arranged Hermes collection is that you don't get a receipt or card to acknowledge the collection so it's a bit of a leap of faith. I'd say if you don't know and trust your courier you might be better using a trackable service and then try to claim the cost back from Q (as long as you don't want the money in a hurry!)

I wanted to refuse a Hermes delivery, so I put a large notice on the front door to tell him this, and also asking him to keep ringing the bell until I opened the door (so I could get a receipt for the expensive item).

He hadn't come by the usual time, so I looked on tracking, it said "Delivery refused by customer".

He probably didn't get paid for the delivery, so couldn't be bothered to wait. I rang Q, they had already been notified of the refusal.

Anyway, it does seem that a large notice on the door does the job, if you are going to be out.

Isn`t it wonderful that from their end they can`t stop an order despite the fact its still sitting in the warehouse `waiting` to be processed!! I recently ordered an handbag from the House of Fraser sale and realised a few hours later that it wasn`t leather and wasn`t prepared to pay the price for a faux one anyway I went on live chat explained what I`d done and she said she would do it immediately but couldn`t promise anything not knowing how busy they were but if her attempts failed to just refuse delivery Thankfully she was able to cancel it and the money was refunded almost immediately .... QVC must make a small fortune in business interest which is paid daily I believe holding on to `our money` !! I refused an auto delivery on those useless stay fresh bag things which incidentally I didn`t order I never do it because being on a limited income and having a crappy memory I would forget to cancel it !! So I refused it it was put into that hand held machine and it was refunded ...in the fullness of time whuch as we know is par for the course with QVC!!

Don't think I'd get the chance to refuse. The nutter who is our Hermes courier regularly throws parcels over the back garden gate (in all weathers). It's one reason I don't shop with QVC much. I have complained but neither Hermes nor QVC were interested.

I decided that I would refuse delivery of a pair of shoes from Amazon as I did not realised they were coming from Germany and neither did they have free returns. Told OH to refuse them if he answered the door. Door bell rings OH appears with a shoe parcel. He said that the courier told him that if he did not accept the parcel, he would leave it anyway! I checked the status on Amazon and it said "Parcel handed to resident". Luckily the shoes fit apart from the strap gaping a bit.
Had a couple of problems with Amazon recently where an item is displayed but when I select it, it turns out that it is coming from another supplier with different conditions of sale.
I have to check the supplier details very carefully now. Also ended up with a torch coming from China which is not ideal as it would be very difficult to return if it goes wrong.

Also ended up with a torch coming from China which is not ideal as it would be very difficult to return if it goes wrong.

Amazon seem to be getting very sneaky these days.

I sussed out about your torch because of the broken English in the description, but it was not mentioned anywhere that I could see. And it could take up to 4 weeks to arrive.

I've had a lot of stuff that came from China, sometimes it arrived faster than QVC (that's not saying much) and sometimes it took up to 4 weeks.

I SEEM TO HAVE POSTED THIS ON THE WRONG TOPIC.

It was meant to go on the post I made about buying a tool from Amazon at "Deal of the day" price £40 instead of £75.

But the next day it hadn't gone back up to £75 but only to £52, just like Q TSV' not actually going up to the Q price afterwards, but to a much lower introductory price.

The tool was guaranteed (on the tracking) to be despatched Friday 12th.

It wasn't.

It is now being shown as "dispatching soon".

It is getting as bad as QVC's "in process" for days.

It was originally supposed to be arriving Monday 15th but this now looks highly unlikely.

Unlike Q, I still have the option of cancelling it if I want to.

I've had a few things like that from Amazon too.
Ordered with my guaranteed Prime next day delivery and somehow there is an error at delivery hubs and it gets sent to the wrong place or it gets mysteriously delayed - no real apology or delivery refund - I thought about complaining, but then thought what's the point as I'm not going to get anywhere:mysmilie_51:

Amazon seem to be getting very sneaky these days.

I sussed out about your torch because of the broken English in the description, but it was not mentioned anywhere that I could see. And it could take up to 4 weeks to arrive.

I've had a lot of stuff that came from China, sometimes it arrived faster than QVC (that's not saying much) and sometimes it took up to 4 weeks.

The worst thing when you have to pay customs, I saw some reviews on Amazon people saying that they thought it was a UK item and then it took ages to arrive and then they had to pay custom duty £13 at least these days.

I tried to cancel my Chinese item on Amazon whilst the cancel button was still available but despite 2 attempts they still sent it even though the dispatch status took another 2 days. They have offered me another at 50% off and 10% off other stuff but I am still getting something I did not want at full price!

Latest posts

Back