Respect...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I dislike any of the mass floral/cuddly toy tributes especially to people you don’t know but who are in the media because of the circumstances of their death. If you really feel you want to show your feelings donate to an appropriate charity and leave a card if necessary.

The only people benefiting are florists who must be rubbing their hands. Even flowers given to an elderly neighbour in tribute would be preferable to those lying at the side of a road.
I think people pile in on leaving flowers because it's a mass participation activity they can be part of. At a time when a significant part of the UK population were still reeling from the shock of being Queenless, it was a way to give outward expression to something they may have found hard to put into words.
I did notice some lovely potted plants, which I hope will be given a good home not just plonked on the compost heap. Equally some artificial plants and flowers (WHY????). Clearly whoever left them hadn't thought through the fact they would join the soft toys in landfill....probably.

I think Q missed an opportunity and could have been encouraging us to buy arnica foot gel to gift to those in the queue.

Seriously though, now the dust has settled I have several issues with what went on in terms of the public's reaction to the death of The Queen. Firstly, a lot of those leaving flowers would probably have a "family flowers only, donations to charity" notice in obituries for their own loved ones and the RF really need to put out such a statement for future deaths - they at least asked people to remove the plastic coverings so that they could be composted, unlike the ones that were left for Diana, which all went in landfill. The other issue I have is British Rail allowing those who'd been in the queue and had missed their last train home, to sleep on stationary trains overnight. Why can't they do that for those who are sleeping on the streets night after night? Do the fire brigade hand out blankets to the homeless on a nightly basis? It's all a bit fake grief and caring for attention seeking to me.

Back to The Queen, the reality that she's gone for good and will forever more be talked of in the past tense is now beginning to sink in - I don't think we realise how this will make us feel over the coming months. The fact that last year was her final Christmas Day speech will really hit home in a few months time...

My neighbours who queued for 14 hours, came out of the Hall at just gone 2 am, to a desolate London and a good walk back to the mainline station. Absolutely knackered they flagged down a taxi who agreed to take them home to Bedfordshire ...... for £160. They were too tired to even negotiate, so they took it, so I don't know what others did to even get back to the station.

I dislike any of the mass floral/cuddly toy tributes especially to people you don’t know but who are in the media because of the circumstances of their death. If you really feel you want to show your feelings donate to an appropriate charity and leave a card if necessary.

The only people benefiting are florists who must be rubbing their hands. Even flowers given to an elderly neighbour in tribute would be preferable to those lying at the side of a road.
I don't want flowers at my funeral in fact we are going to have a pure cremation,or something similar. Everyone can then go and have a good meal etc.afterwards.

My lovely Gran wanted no flowers at her funeral as she couldn't see the point. She always said she'd rather have flowers when she was alive. I took them often and helped her do her garden so she could always look out to flowers. It actually hurt to write that as I miss her so much 🌻🌻🌹

CC

My lovely Gran wanted no flowers at her funeral as she couldn't see the point. She always said she'd rather have flowers when she was alive. I took them often and helped her do her garden so she could always look out to flowers. It actually hurt to write that as I miss her so much 🌻🌻🌹

CC
I feel that. My gran was a second mum to me, as my mum was disabled. When I look back at my younger days, I have so many wonderful memories of her... helping with the garden was a major one.

People can have such dark humour at the most painful of times. I read an article where a young woman in her 30`s was terminally ill and knew she was dying. Unknown to her family she arranged that on the day of her funeral a light aircraft would fly over the Church towing a banner which said " Cry harder cos I`m watching you ".

My neighbours who queued for 14 hours, came out of the Hall at just gone 2 am, to a desolate London and a good walk back to the mainline station. Absolutely knackered they flagged down a taxi who agreed to take them home to Bedfordshire ...... for £160. They were too tired to even negotiate, so they took it, so I don't know what others did to even get back to the station.
I hope it was a traditional black cab. They need our support.

Don't get me wrong, I love flowers and occasionally I buy them, usually in springtime when the daffodil season begins, but that's about it really. I know it sounds an awful thing to say but I don't particularly like receiving flowers as I find them a bit of a pain in the backside. Finding a suitably sized vase, getting rid of all the packaging, trimming the stems, fiddling around with that little sachet of flower food, then finding a suitable place to put them (I'm talking about big bunches here). Nightmare when someone brings you flowers to a social gathering, you're chatting, the drink's flowing nicely, and bang, quick, better get these in some water! It's bad enough receiving flowers for a special occassion, so to have to faff around with flowers when you're at your lowest ebb is not something I want to be doing. I'd rather be offered the hand of friendship, emotional support, I'm ok with a card with a well thought out message too, but flowers, no, sorry!

Like Merry I love the flowers in my garden and usually pick sweet peas every other day for the house but bouquets no - for a start I can’t arrange them or find a suitable vase plus in winter they only last a day due to heating.

The garage.that Mr L uses always gives a big bouquet when he changes his car but if I can get in first I usually try for a brolly or cup!

Like Merry I love the flowers in my garden and usually pick sweet peas every other day for the house but bouquets no - for a start I can’t arrange them or find a suitable vase plus in winter they only last a day due to heating.

The garage.that Mr L uses always gives a big bouquet when he changes his car but if I can get in first I usually try for a brolly or cup!
I get a bouquet from Lexus when we change our car but it's always a tied one so all you need to do is drop it into a vase of water.
We had sweet peas from June to mid August,Dahlias are still going strong as are the beautiful double cosmos and asters.
We have lots of roses but I think they last longer in the garden and we had lots of pinks earlier this year,they last ages as cut flowers and smell lovely.

Lol ! Merry you are so right. When I was 70 - ( I dressed in black for the day), but by the end of it my home resembled a funeral parlour ! I had flowers coming out of my ears, most of which the bouquets were white. I don't have many available surfaces let alone vases, so for days after it was like living in a florists. Why does the sachet food have to be liquid ? most of which ends up all over my hands when I open them ?

I would far rather have had vouchers for Homesense tucked into a nice card. Still its my 75th next year, so maybe I should start putting feelers out now.

Lol ! Merry you are so right. When I was 70 - ( I dressed in black for the day), but by the end of it my home resembled a funeral parlour ! I had flowers coming out of my ears, most of which the bouquets were white. I don't have many available surfaces let alone vases, so for days after it was like living in a florists. Why does the sachet food have to be liquid ? most of which ends up all over my hands when I open them ?

I would far rather have had vouchers for Homesense tucked into a nice card. Still its my 75th next year, so maybe I should start putting feelers out now.
I never use the plant food. We put it in the watering can.
I haven't bought any flowers for months as garden has had lots plus I have lots of house plants.

Latest posts

Back