Respect...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Unfortunately, there were people hauled off in this country for expressing their opinions. The BBC censored Charles' first visit to Wales as king when he was greeted by boos. You can clearly hear the boos on the ITV broadcast. Foreign press were reporting on the anti-royalists, but not our country's press. Many protestors held blank pieces of paper because, people had been arrested for holding "Not my King" placards. Again, this was not covered in the BBC news broadcasts. I respect people wanting to honour their monarch, but I think alternative views should not be shut down. Again, I do not take cocaine or consider myself to be ignorant.
They did cover it

Even some of those taking part aren`t ardent Royalists but that`s ok, they had a job to do and they all did it well. My son is an Army Officer and his regiment helped behind the scenes with transport, security and other issues. As a soldier with 30 years service he is a true Royalist, always has been and always will be and the Queen was his boss. Over 30 years he has been in many situations where he would or could have been expected to lay down his life for Queen and Country and he would have done willingly.
He`s worked with many many younger newer recruits and he knows many of them feel differently. Some only see the Army as just a pay packet or a means to learning a trade or something better than the dole and very few of them intend to stay in the job for life. When the Queen died the Army asked all Snr officers to tell their troops there had to be no negative or nasty comments from them on social media or in public and that social media would be monitored and like it or not, her majesty was Commander In Chief and therefore would be talked about respectfully and they would do anything asked of them to the highest standard and they did. Many of the young squaddies aged 19 or so, probably really didn`t give a hoot about the Queen or about the new King but whatever they think in private has no place in their work. Unlike many of us, the forces, the Police and Govt employees don`t get the opportunity to voice opinions in public but that doesn`t mean they don`t have them.

It says more about them than it does the monarchy, imo.
There will be no money saved by jettisoning what we have now... and one of the great benefits is the lack of political axes the monarch has to grind.
I know, as Prince of Wales, King Charles III came over as quite political on some of the causes he espoused... he's in a different role now, so I'll give him the time to truly establish himself before drawing any conclusions.
We went with our neighbours on Saturday 17th to Sheffield Wednesday v Ipswich football match.At 5 minutes before the National Anthem and minutes silence it was very very noisy. The announcement came over the sound system and it became silent,not a sound at all. The National Anthem. We had army navy and air force personnel in a circle near the centre spot and they were cheered and applauded on the way out and the way back.
I was so impressed by the fans.

I d not take cocaine, neither am I ignorant. I am very aware politically. I expect people to have different opinions but to personally insult people who have different views to yourself, is disgraceful. I do not agree with hereditary privilege especially when the inequality in this country is now so wide. I watched the funeral for its historical value, while feeling bemused at the “cap doffing”. As I saw the millions spent on one privileged woman, I felt sad for the thousands of others who had to receive a pauper’s funeral this year. I was worried about how govt has shut down for one privileged woman while thousands are homeless, visiting food banks and anxious about paying bills. I saw the homeless on London’s streets, refused blankets and food, while those queuing were given blankets and food. I understand respect but not deference to”an accident of birth.“ I am not ignorant or snorting cocaine. I just have a different opinion to you.
I don't think anyone said you personally snort cocaine

We went with our neighbours on Saturday 17th to Sheffield Wednesday v Ipswich football match.At 5 minutes before the National Anthem and minutes silence it was very very noisy. The announcement came over the sound system and it became silent,not a sound at all. The National Anthem. We had army navy and air force personnel in a circle near the centre spot and they were cheered and applauded on the way out and the way back.
I was so impressed by the fans.

I don't think anyone said you personally snort cocaine
Technically correct but because my views coincide with the people who were accused by the forum member of taking cocaine, I felt I had to defend myself. I am glad you were impressed by the fans.

Thank you. I am glad that I have made my point that people who have alternative views and opinions are not necessarily ignorant or take cocaine. Thank you for being kind to my first posts here. I will defend the right to express differing opinions without prejudice in any forum. Best wishes to you all. Let us be kind to each other if we can’t do anything else. Goodbye

Thank you for your kind words on my first post. Here is a quote from London news, "The Queen’s state funeral will be paid for using millions of pounds contributed to Treasury by income tax payers." I am not sure of exact figures, but it is implied that it cost millions. The organisation moving on rough sleepers so they were not filmed by world's press or get in the way of "the queue" or the funeral were the police. They were pointing the way to hostels and relevant charities; I apologise for not making that clear. Every day of every year, there are people rough sleeping without blankets or food and yet, these things were made available very quickly for those in "the queue". I was clumsily indicating how odd this appears to me. I try to look at different points of view with an open mind and to remind myself, that just because I think differently, doesn't mean I am necessarily right and the alternative is wrong. I was upset to be accused of being a cocaine-snorting, ignorant person because I do not think a monarchy is relevant in the 21st century but I respect people's rights to want to honour a hard-working woman.
I didn't know that the tax payer paid for the Queen's funeral. I suppose I just didn't think about where the money came from. Considering it now, yes, it must have cost millions. I wonder how the police were able to differentiate between people in the queue and the homeless. Futility58, I don't expect you to know the answer to this question. It's just that your comments have made me think, which is never a bad thing!

I didn't see anyone getting blankets or food provided in the queue. I spoke to friends who did queue and they never mentioned it. I know there were toilet stations provided along the route, but I hear the majority of people took their own food, and you were released from the queue to pay a toilet visit or to go and buy food.

I didn't see anyone getting blankets or food provided in the queue. I spoke to friends who did queue and they never mentioned it. I know there were toilet stations provided along the route, but I hear the majority of people took their own food, and you were released from the queue to pay a toilet visit or to go and buy food.
There are many images on line of people with blankets in "the queue." One headline from inews said,

Firefighters hand out blankets as the Queen’s mourners brave cold temperatures overnight in 25-hour queue​

I cannot explain why you did not see it or why your friends did not mention it.

There are many images on line of people with blankets in "the queue." One headline from inews said,

Firefighters hand out blankets as the Queen’s mourners brave cold temperatures overnight in 25-hour queue​

I cannot explain why you did not see it or why your friends did not mention it.
I don't want to belabour this, but were people expected to return the blankets? Or did they ask for a donation?

Futility58, welcome to the forum!

If you look back at post number 140 in this thread I explained how the government and therefore the taxpayer makes a huge profit from the Royal Family.

Personally I'd rather have a monarch as head of state rather than an elected person, given the way social media has such a huge influence on the population we could end up with some so-called celebrity Like Katy Price or Piers Morgan representing us.

Sorry but I am not sure. However, I did read somewhere that blankets and confiscated food was donated to charities. Queuers had to give up any food they had before entering the security area, I think.

Thank you SusieSue. I understand your concerns about a non-royal head of state. I agree we could end up with someone dreadful, however we would get an opportunity to vote for them or not, and it would be for a limited time. However with a hereditary monarch and they were awful, we would be stuck with them. I am not insulting the present monarch or previous one but not all monarchs are great. I just believe in a modern democracy, the people should have a say. We should have the right to vote them in or out.

Thank you SusieSue. I understand your concerns about a non-royal head of state. I agree we could end up with someone dreadful, however we would get an opportunity to vote for them or not, and it would be for a limited time. However with a hereditary monarch and they were awful, we would be stuck with them. I am not insulting the present monarch or previous one but not all monarchs are great. I just believe in a modern democracy, the people should have a say. We should have the right to vote them in or out.
Trouble us we could end up without any rights to get rid of them.

The only place where I saw food offered to queuers when I was in the queue was at the very end. By that point we all knew we couldn't take food in and queuers were offering stuff to others in the queue.
Lots of food was just thrown away. You could donate unopened food to the food banks. Not pieces of fruit, sadly but understandably. I wish they had spelt out much earlier about the foodbank donations, as people were trying to make inroads on all the food they'd brought.
We were queueing overnight and the shiny metallic blankets used when you have hypothermia were the ones on offer I did notice it was projected to be much colder on the following night... so maybe real blankets were being given then. I'm afraid I didn't pick up on the details as I was too knackered!

I think Q missed an opportunity and could have been encouraging us to buy arnica foot gel to gift to those in the queue.

Seriously though, now the dust has settled I have several issues with what went on in terms of the public's reaction to the death of The Queen. Firstly, a lot of those leaving flowers would probably have a "family flowers only, donations to charity" notice in obituries for their own loved ones and the RF really need to put out such a statement for future deaths - they at least asked people to remove the plastic coverings so that they could be composted, unlike the ones that were left for Diana, which all went in landfill. The other issue I have is British Rail allowing those who'd been in the queue and had missed their last train home, to sleep on stationary trains overnight. Why can't they do that for those who are sleeping on the streets night after night? Do the fire brigade hand out blankets to the homeless on a nightly basis? It's all a bit fake grief and caring for attention seeking to me.

Back to The Queen, the reality that she's gone for good and will forever more be talked of in the past tense is now beginning to sink in - I don't think we realise how this will make us feel over the coming months. The fact that last year was her final Christmas Day speech will really hit home in a few months time...

I would definitely prefer donations to charities to do good to those who can't afford to put food on the table or have basic necessities. I went to view the floral tributes, but was actually more touched by the written tributes accompanying the florals.
QVC could make a wonderful gesture, with all the companies they work with to put care packages together for those in need.
Of course, if the royals get involved they will immediately be accused of meddling in politics, just as if they don't they are accused of not being caring or in touch.
It must be very difficult to be a family, an institution and the embodiment of the state all at once.
For me, I didn't do flowers but donated to the Felix project https://thefelixproject.org/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm__4-Lyt-gIVmpntCh26EgPaEAAYASAAEgIfjPD_BwE who were collecting and distributing the unopened food, and the Trussell Trust https://www.trusselltrust.org/
And to The Queen's Green Canopy https://shop.queensgreencanopy.org/

I'm not trying to be a virtual signaller, in modern parlance. I just wanted to provide some links which others may also be interested in, if fortunate enough to be in a position to donate.

I dislike any of the mass floral/cuddly toy tributes especially to people you don’t know but who are in the media because of the circumstances of their death. If you really feel you want to show your feelings donate to an appropriate charity and leave a card if necessary.

The only people benefiting are florists who must be rubbing their hands. Even flowers given to an elderly neighbour in tribute would be preferable to those lying at the side of a road.

Latest posts

Back