Respect...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

This country certainly does pageantry superbly. The sight of the State gun carriage being pulled by the Royal Navy, the sight of all the Guardsmen marching by the side of the coffin, the phenomenal pallbearers who carried her so carefully and respectfully and the sight on the whole procession to and from the Abbey makes me proud to be British.

There were so many poignant moments yesterday, as well as the “grandeur.” The lone piper, the removal of the sceptre, orb and crown from the coffin, the King’s expression when the National Anthem was sung, the Queen’s favourite pony and dorgis waiting for her at Windsor Castle … the list goes on.

There will never be another monarch like the Queen, certainly not in my lifetime anyway, but I think Charles will be a good king in a different way, thanks to the guidance he has had over the years from his “dear mama.”

Another “animal” was spotted on the Queen’s coffin, but it’s considered to be a lucky symbol/good omen. (I’d freak out though 😳)

Together with two rainbows and the spider, nature has certainly shone down on her.

Attachments

• 520BF463-06B3-4F69-933D-076233CF7044.jpeg
    520BF463-06B3-4F69-933D-076233CF7044.jpeg
    26.1 KB · Views: 66
I think the whole funeral was exquisitely judged. The full pomp and ceremony of the state role at Westminster Abbey - her service as the commander in chief returned with the service to her of the armed services. The tribute from The Commonwealth and international Royalty, and the world's leaders. The farewell to London through Hyde Park, with the transition from gun carriage to hearse.
Windsor was her farewell to the country and return home, returning to normal life after being the embodiment of crown and country.
The interment was her return to her intimate family, far from the camera's eye. A time for her family to drop their stoicism and mourn mother, grandmother, great grandmother... as well as cousin and aunt.
There is no perfect formula for a head of state, but she probably represented what you would most like to see. All accounts of those meeting her suggested that she was most concerned about them rather than herself. Being kind and considerate. I personally believe kindness to be undervalued as a quality, and she seemed to have it in spades.
I like to think of her now; not only greeting her beloved family and husband, but also her corgis and dorgis, and horses. Finally just a woman not a queen.

It's a cliche but no country does pomp and ceremony like we do! I loved the coverage, I watched it all day, the choir in the Abbey brought tears to my eyes. The whole event was so well organised, and I loved the idea of the world leaders arriving by coach! I'm a civil servant and on our intranet page they've been inviting people who met the Queen to share their stories and we have had some wonderful ones. I've met King Charles, well, to be complete honest, I saw his hand waving from the car when he once visited Jersey, was probably about 30 years ago🤣.

Referring to Brissles's post regarding the man who questioned the new King on increased cost of living, particularly heating: At a time when London was experiencing a freak winter of unremitting freezing temperatures, Charles the Second decreed, "Let them have fires," and he proceeded to have thousands of oak trees cut down. A very popular king was Charles the Second, and at that time he had the power to involve himself in politics. The present King Charles does not. The man who accosted him is a first class tw#t.

My dad was in lots of organisations which together with being married in the same year as Queen meant he and mum were invited to umpteen royal garden parties until he got real blasé about and couldn’t decide if he could be bother to “go again”!!
Too many strawberries?

Hi Twilight we`ve missed you. Pop in as and when you`re up to it.
Hello Twilight. Come back.

Referring to Brissles's post regarding the man who questioned the new King on increased cost of living, particularly heating: At a time when London was experiencing a freak winter of unremitting freezing temperatures, Charles the Second decreed, "Let them have fires," and he proceeded to have thousands of oak trees cut down. A very popular king was Charles the Second, and at that time he had the power to involve himself in politics. The present King Charles does not. The man who accosted him is a first class tw#t.

Too many strawberries?

Hello Twilight. Come back.
As are the Scotland fans who booed at the clapping for the Queen at the match this evening. OK, you don't have to like or agree with the Royal Family but why not just shut up about it until all the remembrance is over.

CC

As are the Scotland fans who booed at the clapping for the Queen at the match this evening. OK, you don't have to like or agree with the Royal Family but why not just shut up about it until all the remembrance is over.

CC
It says more about them than it does the monarchy, imo.
There will be no money saved by jettisoning what we have now... and one of the great benefits is the lack of political axes the monarch has to grind.
I know, as Prince of Wales, King Charles III came over as quite political on some of the causes he espoused... he's in a different role now, so I'll give him the time to truly establish himself before drawing any conclusions.

When the late Queen first came to the throne there was so much deference by the population, and to shout abuse at the Royal Family just wouldn't be done, It was just good manners really, the same as most of the population today - albeit when they're not shoving a mobile phone in their faces. The difference now is we have bred a couple of generations who can't even dress appropriately so we can't expect anything less than when they start booing. Its just ignorance, and they probably have a mugful of cocaine up their noses as well. I say this because I live at the end of a no through road, and I see all manner of cars and vans pulling up with tradesmen, suited business men, all types who do a spot of dealing. Certainly opened my eyes when I moved here.

I d not take cocaine, neither am I ignorant. I am very aware politically. I expect people to have different opinions but to personally insult people who have different views to yourself, is disgraceful. I do not agree with hereditary privilege especially when the inequality in this country is now so wide. I watched the funeral for its historical value, while feeling bemused at the “cap doffing”. As I saw the millions spent on one privileged woman, I felt sad for the thousands of others who had to receive a pauper’s funeral this year. I was worried about how govt has shut down for one privileged woman while thousands are homeless, visiting food banks and anxious about paying bills. I saw the homeless on London’s streets, refused blankets and food, while those queuing were given blankets and food. I understand respect but not deference to”an accident of birth.“ I am not ignorant or snorting cocaine. I just have a different opinion to you.

I d not take cocaine, neither am I ignorant. I am very aware politically. I expect people to have different opinions but to personally insult people who have different views to yourself, is disgraceful. I do not agree with hereditary privilege especially when the inequality in this country is now so wide. I watched the funeral for its historical value, while feeling bemused at the “cap doffing”. As I saw the millions spent on one privileged woman, I felt sad for the thousands of others who had to receive a pauper’s funeral this year. I was worried about how govt has shut down for one privileged woman while thousands are homeless, visiting food banks and anxious about paying bills. I saw the homeless on London’s streets, refused blankets and food, while those queuing were given blankets and food. I understand respect but not deference to”an accident of birth.“ I am not ignorant or snorting cocaine. I just have a different opinion to you.
Your opinions are appreciated and listened to. We live in a part of the world where we are free to express our thoughts, and differing opinions always give food for thought. Right now, in some countries people are being hauled off by the police because they are expressing their opinions. Concerning the Queen's funeral, I wonder how much the whole thing cost. Was it in the millions, as you mention? And what organization in London was refusing the homeless blankets and food? I'd be interested in more information.

Thank you for your kind words on my first post. Here is a quote from London news, "The Queen’s state funeral will be paid for using millions of pounds contributed to Treasury by income tax payers." I am not sure of exact figures, but it is implied that it cost millions. The organisation moving on rough sleepers so they were not filmed by world's press or get in the way of "the queue" or the funeral were the police. They were pointing the way to hostels and relevant charities; I apologise for not making that clear. Every day of every year, there are people rough sleeping without blankets or food and yet, these things were made available very quickly for those in "the queue". I was clumsily indicating how odd this appears to me. I try to look at different points of view with an open mind and to remind myself, that just because I think differently, doesn't mean I am necessarily right and the alternative is wrong. I was upset to be accused of being a cocaine-snorting, ignorant person because I do not think a monarchy is relevant in the 21st century but I respect people's rights to want to honour a hard-working woman.
Your opinions are appreciated and listened to. We live in a part of the world where we are free to express our thoughts, and differing opinions always give food for thought. Right now, in some countries people are being hauled off by the police because they are expressing their opinions. Concerning the Queen's funeral, I wonder how much the whole thing cost. Was it in the millions, as you mention? And what organization in London was refusing the homeless blankets and food? I'd be interested in more information.

I read somewhere that the Queens funeral worked out to have cost each tax paying household just 25p. No idea how/who by or where this was calculated but that`s what was quoted.

I read somewhere that the Queens funeral worked out to have cost each tax paying household just 25p. No idea how/who by or where this was calculated but that`s what was quoted.
Unfortunately, there were people hauled off in this country for expressing their opinions. The BBC censored Charles' first visit to Wales as king when he was greeted by boos. You can clearly hear the boos on the ITV broadcast. Foreign press were reporting on the anti-royalists, but not our country's press. Many protestors held blank pieces of paper because, people had been arrested for holding "Not my King" placards. Again, this was not covered in the BBC news broadcasts. I respect people wanting to honour their monarch, but I think alternative views should not be shut down. Again, I do not take cocaine or consider myself to be ignorant.

Latest posts

Back