Returns advice please!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Totally Loopy Lou

Registered Shopper
Hi sorry to start a new thread on this but I didn't know how else to mine the great wisdom of the fellow forumites ;)

Basically I bought a pair of silver earrings (supposedly Taxco but no mention of the make anywhere on packaging!) as Christmas pressie for my Carer...

They arrived quite strangely packaged, a single earring in two separate poly zip bags (each with a small square of black plastic in?!), inside another poly bag and included with a nice, completely blank box...

Anyway, the issue is that one earrings is perfect and lovely! The other has a kink in it (I think they are twisted by hand/eye) and to me they really don't work as a pair (I notice someone has mentioned this issue in the reviews for a similar design which consisted of multiple twists but not for this item)...

The question is what to do. Firstly if I want to return them, am I entitled to have my original postage refunded and also have return postage paid?! (To my mind they are effectively faulty)

Secondly, I would still like to give her theses earrings so do I place a new order or will they offer a replacement and do I have to pay postage on the second pair?!

Sorry for so many questions but never had to return a faulty thing before - well actually I have but it was something I wouldn't ever want again it so awful, and was so big they collected it!

Thanks so much :)

If you want a refund, because they're faulty yes you will receive your full refund back inc p&p. Because this takes weeks I'd reorder them while waiting for your prepaid postage label, which takes a week, then waiting for your money which can take another two weeks or more. Personally I'd buy elsewhere, there are lovely earrings out there and cheaper too, but if you really want them and are willing to take a chance, you'll have to reorder now, saying that though they may out of goodwill send them out now to you while waiting for you to send the faulty ones back, or rather they should it is Christmas after all.

Yes, ring customer services up & tell them they are faulty so that you get the return label & your postage refunded . Then, if you really want the same ones, try playing on their good nature . Explain they were for a Christmas present, say how they were just what you'd been looking for, loved the style but are SO disappointed that there pair you received were faulty & how upset you are that they might not now come in time. You might get lucky, depending which person you get on the line.

The packaging you describe: separated in little poly bags is fairly standard. It's just the cheapest way to minimise scratching from rubbing against each other. The wee square is a sulphur absorbant device to prevent tarnishing.

I emailed CS about a tarte item ordered during their last visit which has never arrived. I was bothered that if it sells out this visit I'd never get a replacement but, to my pleasant surprise they replied saying they'd send a declaration to sign but have already sent a replacement in case it's required for Christmas. Sure enough it was showing as replaced and despatched in my account order list.

I love QVC when they get it right, so credit where it's due. :star:

They must have changed their policy - about six years ago, I ordered an interactive baby doll for my niece for Xmas and it came damaged. They wouldn't send another until they had the first one back and I didn't know how long it would take in those days so I agreed - needless to say, it arrived in the new year so one disappointed child but of course, I got some other gifts on Xmas Eve to make up.

It depends who you get in CS.

If I speak to someone who is not very cooperative, I wait an hour or so and ring again later.

Very often I then get a more cooperative one who does what I wanted, such as send a replacement without waiting for "the form" to get to them.

That's v true Alan! I've found emailing tends to push them to a more positive response. Call my cynical but maybe it's because I'd have a paper trail to back up any complaint further down the line. The only downside with emailing (I never use the webform on the Q website) is they can take a long time to reply.

Thanks all for your advice and also for enlightening me on the slightly unusual presentation! All makes sense now ;) Although I did think/hope it would come in some sort of branded packaging...

Anyway I did call CS, and without me having to give a whole sob story, the lady picked up that I said it was a Christmas gift and could probably tell I was a little anxious so immediately suggested sending out a replacement pair, at the same time as sending a returns label to return the faulty ones :) Was very chuffed and credit where it's due!
No sign of label or new ones yet, but everything crossed, they've got a few days yet. Just hoping I can get one near perfect pair from the four earrings!

This is in stark contrast to luxury Fortnum and Mason. Not usually somewhere I shop (I wish!), indeed this was the first time but it's my dad's last Christmas and I'm not well either so decided to go online and spend silly amount of money of a carousel, musical tin of biscuits as well as some other smaller musical biscuit tins. They arrived days late, on Thursday, and three of four items were faulty....

The lady in customer services was short-tempered and wouldn't allow me to have a replacement sent out until the other faulty ones had been received back by them. They were sent today via a free post address so likelihood of that happening and the others being sent out and arriving before Christmas is looking slim :( I was with dad today and he is now on a morphine and sedative pump and really won't live much longer at all, but he was relatively with it today and even asked us for a cup of tea and biscuits to eat. So I was heart-broken I could've give him his special tin and offer one of the seven OTT posh biscuits therein (silly to get upset about I know but it's all been too much and I really thought F&M would've done better!) :( Seems you don't get what you don't always get what you pay for in terms of service!

Oh LoopyLou. What your dad would really have appreciated is having you there to tell you he fancied a biscuit with his tea. Would mean more to him to have you there than any F&M tea and posh biscuit ever would. I promise you. He'd rather have a bashed custard cream with you than the poshest biscuit ever on his own.

I am sorry you're having a tough time. I'm sure the earrings will arrive and you'll have the gift you want. I wish you strength and love. And I hope your dad ... well I don't really know what to say. I wish him peace and no pain and another cup of tea and a biscuit with his loving daughter. Means the world to him I'm sure.

What a rotten experience for you LoopyLou, just at an extremely difficult time for you and your family. Shame on F&M customer services, whether or not they know a customer's circumstances... But Tinkerbelle is right. Your presence, your time, and your love and support are the gifts your dad wants and needs, and will appreciate the most.

Sending you love and courage for the precious time you have with your dad.

I'm really so sorry, LoopyLou. Tinkerbelle is right though, you being there will mean far more to him. I hope they can keep him comfortable.
I know how you're feeling. This is my first Christmas without my dad, he died two months ago & I'm missing him dreadfully. It seems more than strange. Out shopping for presents I keep thinking, I'll get that for dad, then it hits you again. I was his only relative, being an only child & my mum died years ago very young so it had always been just the two of us.
Thinking of you, it's hard I know.

Hi everyone and thanks SO much for your very kind words - I really mean it, I was touched...

Dad will never get to taste those Fortnum biccies because at 1:15am this morning (Sunday), dear dad died. It happened very suddenly at the end but pretty peacefully and at home.
Terrible shock and don't know what on earth to do with the myself now I am back at my own home for the evening.
I even put QVC on so that I have some company/sound! I think I shall put something else on soon as it's unbearable and dad hated it ;)

It's been a hideous nine months since diagnosis and he was too young to go at 62yo (I know many many people lose their parents many decades earlier, I just mean he 'should' have had another decade or two to retire after 45 slog in the NHS. He was an amazing man and dad. Oh god this is setting me off! Sorry for over sharing!
Thanks again x

So sorry about your loss -Totally loopy Lou .Really don't know what to say .Just remember he is in a better place without the pain and he was much comforted with you by his side .Its tough loosing parents especially at this time of year where we think of what we were doing this time last year with them and also with the festivities going on .Take care of yourself my dear and a big hug to you .:mysmilie_515:

its just plain awful losing a parent no matter how old you or they are its a massive loss. my mums been gone three years now and i can tell you you will miss your dad a great deal. for me its the ultimate sadness. never really goes. even now i still cry thinking of my mum. but there is anather side to the loss. all those wonderful memories. all the love you shared growing up and being an adult. that will last you forever to. you will cry but you will also smile. big big hugs x

Oh LoopyLou I am so sorry. Your time with him really was precious to both of you.

I lost my darling mum to cancer on twelfth night more than 20 years. Christmas was bitter sweet for a few years. As it will be for you. But it will get easier with time. Don't be afraid to share your feelings. It will help. Sending you love and strength.

Oh bless you LoopyLou! I am so sorry to hear about your loss, and thank you for being brave enough to come on here and tell us about your dad. I wish I could give you a hug right now.

Knowing something is going to happen doesn't prepare you for the reality of it... it's only once you have gone from theory to reality that the impact of it can truely be understood. There is the absence - the gaping hole in your life left by your loved one. There's the dramatic change to your routine - so much of it driven by the things you need to and want to do with and for your love one. There's the shock. There's coping with others' reactions. In time you never get over it, but you will get used to it. I lost my own dad to cancer at 15, and to this day I can't play the album (LP) I was listening to at the time... he was only 53 years old. I'm 50 now and I still miss him every day, but I'm glad of the memories, and can treasure them without being knocked sideways. I'm not saying this to upset you but to assure you that things get better, just not the mythical getting over it.

It will be tough for you - but be gentle with yourself. Shock can make you feel like you can't sleep, feel warm, focus on anything, or spend time with people or be alone - you just feel "wrong". Just do the best you can, and know that there's nothing wrong in how you feel... and you do get over that feeling of shock, at least.

Remember - the ones we love, and who love us, never leave us... and they live on in you.

Thanks all for your advice and also for enlightening me on the slightly unusual presentation! All makes sense now ;) Although I did think/hope it would come in some sort of branded packaging...

Anyway I did call CS, and without me having to give a whole sob story, the lady picked up that I said it was a Christmas gift and could probably tell I was a little anxious so immediately suggested sending out a replacement pair, at the same time as sending a returns label to return the faulty ones :) Was very chuffed and credit where it's due!
No sign of label or new ones yet, but everything crossed, they've got a few days yet. Just hoping I can get one near perfect pair from the four earrings!

This is in stark contrast to luxury Fortnum and Mason. Not usually somewhere I shop (I wish!), indeed this was the first time but it's my dad's last Christmas and I'm not well either so decided to go online and spend silly amount of money of a carousel, musical tin of biscuits as well as some other smaller musical biscuit tins. They arrived days late, on Thursday, and three of four items were faulty....

The lady in customer services was short-tempered and wouldn't allow me to have a replacement sent out until the other faulty ones had been received back by them. They were sent today via a free post address so likelihood of that happening and the others being sent out and arriving before Christmas is looking slim :( I was with dad today and he is now on a morphine and sedative pump and really won't live much longer at all, but he was relatively with it today and even asked us for a cup of tea and biscuits to eat. So I was heart-broken I could've give him his special tin and offer one of the seven OTT posh biscuits therein (silly to get upset about I know but it's all been too much and I really thought F&M would've done better!) :( Seems you don't get what you don't always get what you pay for in terms of service!

Sorry to hear about your dad. Sounds like a letter to the CEO at Fortnum & Mason should be sent. Despicable service from their so called customer service. You really should make a very stern complaint in writing, explain the situation and the distress that this has caused. You really deserve some compensation - and a huge bunch of flowers - by way of apology.

Latest posts

Back